1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Is Sucide Selfish?

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Cthulhu-versailles, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

I was just reading the "Is Sucide a Crime" thread when I came across post saying sucide was selfish. Now I'm not saying I disagree, but honestly, is sucide really that selfish?

In short,

-Yes Point-
    Sucide is selfish because the person thinking of commiting sucide is disregarding and will greatly impact upon those that care about them.
    Sucide is also typically commited by those who are emotionally unstable and thereby, it should be considered a necessity that we prevent pointless loss of life.

-No point-
    Sucide is not selfish because it is an individual choice. It would in fact be selfish to prevent someone from commiting sucide if it that was trully what they wanted. Like everything else, sucide should be considered a right of the people and one which can be acted upon without the stigma of being considered selfish.

Tags:
  2. Firedraconian Lather, rinse, repeat

Everything you do has an impact on those around you, and therefore every action is inherently selfish. If I want to get a job, I'm preventing someone else from getting that job. I'm negatively affecting their life so mine profits.

If I want to eat, I have to get food that someone else would've eaten. If I want to buy a house, I'm preventing someone else from doing so.

The world is literally filled with things that only one person or one group can have. Land, food, water, goods, services, opportunities. Newton discovered gravity. Maybe someone else would have discovered it the next day. He RUINED their life. How selfish of him.

3. Beo InuKage

just about everything is inherently selfish and not at the same time.
    But my opinion is that suicide is very selfish most of the time.

4. Chas3265 Kazekage

What the hell is sucide?

5. Beo InuKage

suicide
    and you have to be joking.

6. Beo InuKage

Chaucer learn to spell.

7. SSJLance Kagekage

I think it's more selfish to tell the person that they can't die because you don't want them to...no one should be able to dictate what happens to you but you, and if someone is contemplating suicide, then their friends should try and help him through whatever, but it is still that person's choice if they want to die.

8. Beo InuKage

suicide isn't just about the person in question, they have friends and family who love them and will be deeply hurt should this person die.

9. olaf Cthulhu Fhtagn!

so one will live his miserable life just to make other ppl happy?

10. Reisu Do a Barrel Roll!

i don't think theres any right or wrong answer. even though it would be devastating to loose a friend or family member to suicide, i think the biggest loss is that the dead person has robbed themselves of a future and potential happiness. i've attempted suicide a couple of times, but i'm pretty sure that it was a good thing that i lived now :) not everyone is so lucky.

11. Vicious ♥ Comfortable Liar

You should learn to not be a cocky bastard, so what if he missed a letter? want us to bash him?:notrust

12. Vicious-chan Banned

if a person suffers truly.. truly alone and has nothing good for them and a few people want to keep them from suicide just so they can make themselves feel good about themselves.. I think they are the selfish ones.. seriously.. most that try to detur people from suicide (hotline people and such) are those that have their own problems and want to better their own feelings towards themselves so they feel "I SAVED A LIFE!! I'M AWESOME!" and really what you might have done is commit a person to a life of continuous Hell. I'd say the selfish ones are the ones that help and then once the person begins to go away from the suicide route the person then starts ignoring and going off to do other things returning the person into a depressed state while the person walks off with a good feeling of themselves and the suicider is most likely going to be more encouraged to suicide.. and, honestly, I think it might be better they do. I glorify death, true, but it deserves to be glorified. Something which ends the suffering truly and the great equalizer, it deserves such.

on the flipside, ya, if people really do care about the person they'll be sad, but if they cared they should have done more...really, therapy should be attempted first, of coarse.

13. Red Keep Cool, Carry On.

not selfish...maybe thought less...but not selfish because no matter how you cut it's my life..I choose to live o I choose to die...it's my decision......claiming to have right over someone elses life is being arrogant...

14. Horu Immomentarily black

...that's exactly what "selfish" means :p

15. Toby <b>Detective Dollars</b>

No it isn't. To be selfish means to act in a manner where you prioritise your advantage alone. To live your life how you will could still impact others in a good way, given you were a generous person and believed in donating money to orphans.

It is a selfish act because one is simply acting in one's own interest. The feelings of others are disregarded in comparison to the individual's own opinion. I'd say the discussion is pretty much over at that, but it would be interesting to talk about whether it is right or not to commit suicide.

16. Red Keep Cool, Carry On.

you guys are seeing it in a two demensional point of veiw....isnt it even more selfish to stop a person from ending his own suffering only becuase of how you would feel?how bout taking the person who is ending his life into consideration....

17. Hardjacket "Lord of Donkey Balls"

It's a selfish act if your suicide effects other people, e.g. jumping in front of a train, or car, is effecting the driver of said vehicle.

Mostly I think suicide is for cowards, with no stones to sort their problems out.

18. tangoOFDOOM Obsessed

Yeah I think everyone needs to establish what the hell "selfish" means before everyone argues. This is going to be a bitch thread isn't it *hides in corner*. I'm gonna stay out of it.

19. Red Keep Cool, Carry On.

quoted for truth....

20. Sparky Marky Active Member

i believe its ok sometimes...but only when a persons suffering cant be helped e.g. person A is diagnosed with incurable disease B and is just going to suffer massively for a while then die.

but it is terribly selfish when a healthy person makes a rash decision thinking he has no other way out. something like this happened in a part of my family and it just destroyed his kids lives.

no matter how bad it is, surely if you still have your health suicide is a selfish waste...

21. Vicious ♥ Comfortable Liar

Agreed with Perm, if you're healthy you can still change things, you always can.. always!

22. Beo InuKage

EroGaki2005 I think that suicide is selfish in mostcases.
    If they are suffering from something that can not be helped then it is not selfish for them to take their own lives.

23. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

Killing yourself is selfish in that you are doing something that will hurt those who care about you, but living just for other people is pointless.

If you cannot live atleast a little for yourself and be happy with yourself then why live?

24. Beo InuKage

How is living for others bad?
    It gives purpose and meaning in life.

25. Kakashi's_girl Banned

it highly selfish. My cousin's ex killed himself, he had my little cousin. And now he has no father. I can understand why someone would want to, but that doesnt make it right.

26. Beo InuKage

My soon to have been uncle killed himself. He was a friend of my dads and was going to marry my aunt, then he up and killed himself for seemingly no reason. He left behind alot alot people who considerd him family long before I was born.

27. Beo InuKage

I forgot to add this to my last post, but he was very selfish.

28. Firedraconian Lather, rinse, repeat

Isn't that a bit selfish of YOU?

You say he killed himself for seemingly no reason. Clearly he had a reason, otherwise he wouldn't have done it. No one does something for no reason.

So, basically, you're saying that even though something was hurting him enough that he killed himself to escape it, he should have endured it... what? For you? For other people? That's a tad selfish. You're expecting him to do something just because it makes you and other feel better.

29. Beo InuKage

No one could find any reason for him to do it.
    Nothing good came out of it and he was leading a happy, healthy life.

30. Beo InuKage

And as I said before living life for others should be a happy and fulfilling life.