1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Is that a tragic past I spy? How long till Sai becomes a nice guy now then? (285)

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Kimi Sama, Nov 24, 2005.

Sai = Sasuke/Neji/Gaara?

1. He will be converted by Naruto by the end of this arc

32 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. He will change, but not for a long time (a couple more arcs)

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. He wants to change, but he cant. he's too fucked up

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. He enjoys being an emotionless bastard and will stay as such

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Sai becomes Sasuke/Neji/Gaara... but tragically dies

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  6. Something DIFFERENT will happen! Hurrah!

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  7. Sai transmigrates into his true form, a small banana, and is eaten (?!)

13 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Kimi Sama A sphincter says what?

How many of you, on seeing that sad little drawing of a unhappy chibi Sai, were instantly reminded of unhappy chibi Sasuke/Neji/Gaara?

Sasuke started off as an arrogant badmouthed git, but it was later shown he is the way he is because of his tragic past, and despite all his insults and disrespect early on he eventualy did come to respect Naruto alot and consider him his best friend.

Neji started off as an arrogant badmouthed git, but it was later shown he is the way he is because of his tragic past, and despite all his insults and disrespect early on he eventualy did come to respect Naruto alot and consider him a superior ninja and person, with "better eyes" (after Naruto cried and punched him in the face)

Gaara started off as... a homicidal psychopathic little git, but it was later shown he is the way he is because of his tragic past, and despite all his murderous rage and violent freakouts early on he did eventualy come to respect Naruto alot and consider him the biggest bestest life changingest guy in the whole world ever. (after Naruto cried and punched him in the face)

(repeatition on purpse, by the by)

Hmm....so....

Sai has started off as a arrogant badmouted little git, but...now we've seen that he's had a tragic, joyless childhood and forcibly been dehumanized.
    Does this pretty much make him the new Sasuke/Neji/Gaara? It seems, from this set up, that it's only a matter of time before Naruto's outspoken nature and raw humanity will make him realise that emotions are nice, fluffy things, and he will become normal. Possibly Naruto will cry and punch him in the face to achieve this.

Or will things turn out differently this time? Maybe he is too far gone to return to being a normal person, or maybe he will be like Haku/Kimimaro - happy being an emotionless tool.

Or maybe.... Kishimoto will think of a new kind of character, and we can skip all that shit about "the same eyes" for the fourth time.

What do you think?

Tags:
  2. Gyroscope the flavin and the mavin

That 'i-had-a-tragic-past-but-now-by-kicking-my-sorry-little-ass-you-have-shown-me-the-light' bit has gotten real real old.

i just hope Kishi isnt pulling the same thing again. There are chances for a betrayal on Sai's part against Danzou and root, but i hope to god it isnt after he gets naru-bitch slapped :sclap

3. ChildGamez The agony of RawR camping!

I also notised this. Glad you made thread about it. I chose "He will be converted by Naruto by the end of this arc" As I can see this arc being about the Akatsuki spy in fighting sence and about Sai's past and changing in mental area. He may as well die off then, but that's about 50/50 .

I believe he'll start changing as he sees / experiences their team work in Kakashi-style. Eventually something will happen and Naruto will throw him the line about "team mates > mission/rules". Sai will eventually adapt to this "nindo" himself.
    If he then doesn't die I can see him be thrown out from "root" and seen as traitor but he'll survive with his new friends ect. If we assume Naruto will reach his goal of Hokage then Sai'll be somekind of ANBU leader, maybe even body guard?

EDIT: Astranagun: I believe it's the same as "Something DIFFERENT will happen! Hurrah!" ;)

4. Astranagun ...

where's the option "he will get a chidori through the head by sasuke"?!?!?!

5. Kamendex Retired from Forum

I think the plan is to have Sai kill Sasuke so Orochimaru doesnt get his body, thus saving the big tree

I dont think Sai is bad at all, just part of a violent political party

6. BobtheTomato Pokemon Master

OH NO! Sai will become a victim of Naruto's pansification no jutsu! He ruined Neji and Gaara, he can't get Sai too! I think he probably will make Sai "good", but hopefully Sai will die shortly thereafter.

7. Christen Itachi's trouble

It's already cliche. Naruto will convert Sai.

Unless Kishi wants to surprise us with somthing else, I can't see where else this is going to be.

8. Zenko Hazumi has left the forums

I voted he'd be the next Sasuke/Neji/Gaara but will die tragically. :kukuku Looking at the pattern running through the Manga, I think Kishimoto'll have Sai be yet another of his tragic-past = screwed-up existence characters. But I want Sai to die...

On the other hand, judging from the expressions on Naruto and Sakura's faces in Chapter 285, Naruto might not bother with the whole "showing you the light" act with Sai. :tem

9. icoselitham Lost

His crewl past has ripped all the emotion out of him. I can't wait to see what his interactions with Naruto makes him become. Like with Sasuke, Gaara, and Neji.

10. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

Oh yeah, Sai is destined for goodness. Even if he dies in the process.

From 285, it becomes obvious that the only outlet for which Sai expresses his emotions is art.

11. Dyroness x

No, it will be slightly different in the fact that Sai will only start to change. He'll die before the process works completely. :nuts

12. Franckie Shinigami Chop

Yah, he'll probably be converted by Naruto. :)
    Then again, Sai might not have evil intentions or genuine angst like Gaara or Neji so he might be slightly different. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

13. Mibu Clan Chibi Mibu

I hope he betrays Naruto and bitch slaps him, being dickless and all...

I REALLY hope he doesnt become Narutos bitch, but then again, Kishi just loves to do things one time and another....

14. Wrath Mourning

If you haven't gotten it yet... one of Naruto's messages is that no one is truly bad. In Naruto, people are just unlucky, or made the wrong decisions, or are forced down the wrong path.

So yeah, Sai will either be converted or we'll learn of the oh so tragic reasons for why he is as he is.

15. FitzChivalry Person of Internet

Sasuke kills him before he can change.:thumbs
    You would know, wouldn't you?

16. Shikamaru-sama Been here too long

Now maybe people will stop calling Kishimoto a genius?

'I have a dream, that one day all the new storylines in Naruto WILL NOT be carbon copies of all the ones we have seen before'

17. sperish so?

I don't know about some, but I was cracking when I saw that chibi Sai picture. What a cry for help.

18. Criminal NF TRIPLE OG

I see the same things a few other people do here. Sai will want to change, might even try but Im affriad he will be offed before that plan even takes flight. I see the sudden tragic death/redemption right before they die type thing going on with Sai. Im thinking something along the line of Zabuza. A character like that is just too good to not revisit again.

19. G. Hawke The one who left

I dont honestly care, what i do care is where the hell is the "Gets a chidori in the chest" option? :mad

20. Darth Judicar A#1 Roller Rager

I sincerely hope we're not headed toward another tragic past and Naruto uses his 'power to change people' to save the day again. Really, enough is enough but it's Kishmoto's series and I'll respect his decisions, even if I question them.

21. Gallic Rush Why not?

It'll be sweet if it LOOKS like Kishimoto is going with the old setup, but has Sai stab Naruto in the back at a crucial moment. Then again people might just say that's making him more like Sasuke :S

ARGHHH there's no way to escape whiners!

22. f1reburn Sai Fanboy

I hope he will be converted by Naruto soon, which would result in a clash with Danzou, interesting how that would end up...

In my opinion Sai is too unique to just die like that, although hating Sai is the flavour of the month right now. :p

23. Dommy You never knew.

Something DIFFERENT will happen! Hurrah!:occa

24. Kimi Sama A sphincter says what?

Well this holds true for all the young characters, but it certainly isnt a case of "no one" being bad. What about Orochimaru? He's been creepy and evil ever since he was a little kid, with no expanation for it. Likewise I cant see Deidara having a tragic flashback explaining why he enjoys blowing people up, or Kisame crying and telling a sad tale about why he likes fighting so much. Itachi also seems to be bad for no real tragic reason.

If Sai's plot thread turns out to be a rehash of Sasuke/Neji/Gaara, you can bet a sizable amount of Kishi fanboys will be proclaiming repeatition is a great idea, and Kishi is still a genius.

25. Sariachan shadowy_blue no neechan

Of course Naruto will influence Sai somehow, but this is quite normal with Naruto's personality. ;)

Sai could be more like Haku or Kimimaro (actually, I hope he's going to be more like the first one... Kimimaro really seemed brainwashed like Gaara said -__-' ; on the the other hand, Haku was a much better character, since he couldn't kill people without remorse even if he wanted to be Zabuza's "tool" and protect him with all his heart.)

I would dare to say that Sai is quite original, though. He's isn't nice as Haku was, and nobody talked like him in Narutoverse before.

Anyway I like him a lot, even more after I saw where he lives: that is the house of a real artist, and all those pictures on the wall without titles are a nice touch, like Kishimoto wanted to hint that Sai would like to know about his past, but he can't give names to the place/people he could barely remember.

If you think about this, while many other Naruto characters had a sad past they wanted to escape from or to forget, Sai could be the first one who actually search info about his own past, and is sad not because of it, but because he doesn't remember it.

P.S. Maybe I said this before, anyway: Sasuke, Gaara and Neji aren't the same and they didn't have the same story / character development at all.
    It's true that we can see some similiarities between Gaara's and Neji's cases, because they both changed after fighting against Naruto, but Neji was a quite normal kid even if he hated Hinata and the main branch of the Hyuuga.
    Gaara, on the other hand, was ready to kill almost everyone (except Temari and Kankurou... I have a theory according to which he already cared about his siblings before fighting Naruto, even if he wasn't completely aware of it yet).

Furthermore, after their changment thanks to Naruto, while Neji kept to follow the way he already set for himself even before meeting him ("to train until I reach it" or something like that... I suppose he would like to become the strongest gentle-fist user ever lived), Gaara had to find an all-new purpose for his life, and he chose to take Naruto as an example.
    The only other characters who share feelings similar to Gaara's towards Naruto are Hinata and Sakura imho (well, you could add the less important Inari and Konohamaru, too).
    But Gaare is the only other jinchuuriki whe know until now, and therefore his bond with naruto is unique.

Finally, Sasuke's is a completely different case: it's true that he was starting to change thanks to Naruto at one point, but at the end he became a missing-nin.
    Sasuke's behaviour made me dislike him, but in the same time I find his role in the story really interesting.
    But please, don't say he's like Gaara... he could be a little like Neji (both are quite obsessed with refining their skills), but not like our dear Kazekage, whose problem was the opposite: he's was powerful, too powerful and people were scared of him.

Oh my... sorry for the long OT. :blink

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  26. shibigoku Master of the fist

I wouldn't say "nice guy". It's better to say "when will Sai aknowledge Naruto's strenght?" It's always after that that they change.

Sai is a lost caused, he's too fucked up. Only a "get that top off no jutsu" will fix him.

27. Alia_Atreides Mew...

He will be converted by Naruto by the end of this arc
    There are things that never change... I can see it already, Sai has tears in his eyes: "because you, Naruto... you showed me that emotions are our true tresure..!"
    :) Heavy, hum?

28. frz1 Nami Swaaaaaaan!!!!

I think he won't be fully changed. He is gonna want to change but it will be too late by the time he does. During his final moments he might say something emotional and then die.

29. AK47living Love.

In every manga arc, someone is changed by Naruto and Naruto gains the respect of that person.

List:

Iruka in the Scroll Arc
    Zabuza in the Mist Arc
    Neji and Gaara in the Chuunin Exam Arc
    Jiraiya (sort of) in the Akatsuki Arc
    Well, no one in the Sasuke Arc
    Chiyo-baa in the Sand Arc
    Now in the Sai arc, which of Naruto's teammates will be affected most? Most likely, Yamato and Sakura will be somehow rendered useless, and Sai and Naruto will have to fight together. I'm putting up Sai's name for the next person transformed.

30. CrazyMoronX Old Man

When I saw that tile I honestly thought "oh no, not another tragic past!" it immediatly reminded me of that Gaara scene we saw 50 times in the last arc too.

Hopefully, Sai turns out to be full fledge evil, and kills someone, and then gets killed, and no tragic past is brought up.

What's next? Orochimaru has a tragic past, and is converted to a good guy by Naruto?

But, since Kishi is really selling Naruto's "strange ability" to make friends nonsense lately, I see it likely we get 1-2 chapters on Sai's tragic past.