1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Anime Awards for 2017 part 2 commences with the category of worst anime of 2017!

Drop by and leave a vote in the following threads: 1 2 3 4 5
    Dismiss Notice

Is Todoroki more overrated or is more underrated than Bakugou?

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Linkmyboy72, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Linkmyboy72 Well-Known Member

What is the consensus of Todoroki's impact as a character compared to Bakugou popularity wise?

Tags:
  2. OS The Entity

3. WorldsStrongest Dio With It

Not too hot or too cold :catsmug

Most people acknowledge hes by far the most deserving character in the entire 1A line up (if not the entire franchise) of becoming the Top Hero

Most people rooted for him over Deku ffs at the tourney...He had way more cause to fight and win than any other participant

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Xiammes All For One Administrator

From a anime perspective he is just fine, but from a manga perspective he hasn't done anything in like 60 chapters other then his thing with the kids.

5. Fry J Vigilant

6. OS The Entity

And even then he’s gotten a lot compared to other cast members

7. Tayimus Number One

To be fair, neither has Bakugou. I assume you mean things relevant to plots/arcs involving villains, of course.

8. BlueDemon Demon

On this forum? I'm seeing way more Baku-love going around.

9. Taizai295 Member

10. Roman Phantom Thief

Japan, Mexico
    Catdank Faction:

11. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

Todo had one of the most striking and visible character arcs in the series. And we were immediately payed back for our investment in his arc when he showed up to help Deku against Stain while freely using his fire powers. (Also as touching but not as celebrated was the fact that he referred to Deku - the dude he personally declared war against - as his friend to his father.)

Baku, to his credit, has always been too proud and stubborn for measly things like character arcs. That stubborn pride is a big part of his charm and appeal and why he is so popular. Ignoring that, he kinda has a shitty cumulative showing in the series so far. He gets kidnapped here and there, he gets shown up by Deku here and there, causing him to spaz a lot here and there, and during the license exam thing, he got turned into a meat potato here and there, even though he had help, while Todo solo'd that portion of the exam.

And when he finally does get his big legit win, beat Deku's ass and mellows out a bit, does he get to have a big damn hero moment in the next arc showing the results of his change like Todo did? Nope. He got sidelined for like a year during that arc, while his underling shined. And in his return, all we got was . . . adventures in babysitting. Which was fun, but compared to the timing, the scale and the visuals of Todo's flames against the Motherfucking Hero Killer Stain, it was pretty lacking in impact.

What am I getting at? I dunno. Oh, Baku's needs some legit big damn hero moments, I guess?. And he needed them last year.

12. KyuubiFan Well-Known Member

Todoroki has the skills and abilities, but lacks drive. He never wanted to battle for All Might's position as Number One, his father did. Now that his head starts to clear I expect to see a more... refined Todoroki.

Katsuki is crazy. He has a violent disregard of everything and everyone around himself, except maybe Kirishima. He might be great power-wise but I can't see him becoming a "people person" which is necessary to be acknowledged by the population, not just his peers. Mind you, even they find it hard to work with him.

So I guess they are rated evenly.

13. Linkmyboy72 Well-Known Member

Theres far more diversity in Bakugou's fandom pairing wise than Shouto, so I feel he's lacking pure fan power as a dynamic character to bounce characters off of outside the main two. Plus he's exposed less and less as the pure badass of the two too casuals that want to see flashy fights and power level fans, more girls recognize him than boys in looks than fighting skills.

14. Linkmyboy72 Well-Known Member

Is that really him going through the grinder though? He's still undefeated and ahead of everyone as far as combat and tatical fighting goes. Shouto still behind him and deku development wise so i didn't include him and because they're strong and or well developed in their quirks for their time. Real consequences in using his quirk don't exist for Bakugou, and the fact his showings are merely hindering him from knowing his limits temporarily is proof he's really hasn't gotten tested in battle. Shouto hasn't had a real legit win against someone important after deku, and he seems more or less behind Bakugou in a sense that he's had no experience with the full extent of his quirk as shown with Stain.

15. Arishem Reveler

Todo has a very obvious upgrade that will massively expand his skillset: steam techniques. I think by the end of the series he will be more powerful hero than Bakugou regardless of rank.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  16. xmysticgohanx Zoro > Law

Bakugo > Todoroki