1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Is Wal-Mart really THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Red Viking, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Red Viking Northern Skald

I mean, yes, there have been instances where employees never got paid but people seem to think that?s corporate policy when it?s not.

The main beef people seem to have with Wal-Mart is that they put smaller companies out of business. I used to hate them for doing that as well until I came to a realization.

You see, while Wal-Mart does run smaller companies out of business, some of these smaller companies make the fatal mistake of trying to directly compete with Wal-Mart. Instead of switching tactics like specializing in a certain product, these smaller companies decide to go head to head with the largest retail chain in the world and, as of consequence, go out of business.

Is Wal-Mart really the spawn of Satan or does the blame fall on both sides?

Thoughts?

Tags:
  2. Kisame Banned

lemme guess you got this idea from family guy.

3. Red Viking Northern Skald

Why yes. Yes I did. :laugh

4. Bleach Bleach

Wal-Mart ownz kay? Lol well for the customers it does =/ cheap stuff and stores are EVERYWHERE!!!!! At this point no body can beat Wal-Mart. But if people are not getting paid or if their actually is sexual harrasment or w/e then the person accusing this should have proof at least before sueing. But otherwise Wal-Mart is the bomb :D

5. falconmain pocket pussy

great we are deabting topics from the family guy now? whats next? can dogs really talk...discuss.

Wal-Mart is a monopoly and uses its power to influence who markets and deminishing competition and in the long run that is always bad.

the point about mom and pop stores is moot sense they about as a small grocery store and their business model is based on being local and convient and the expense of being slightly higher then the normal grociery stores(krogers, safeway, etc) when wal-mart comes in they sell everything at such a low price the conviences is no longer worth the higher price.

Secondly specialty stores are extremely hard to start and have a high failure rate due to lack of demand. plus what exactly do they specialize in? you know how many little stores wal mart has put under? there is not even close to enough market for that many "specialized" stores. plus many of the mom and pops opened the store with just random stuff and learned what sold well there ability to find a market and fill it is next to nill.

either way wal mart is not evil or good it is a business and it is what all business try to do : make money, increase growth, increase market share, eliminate or diminish competition. In that respect Wal mart has been very very good at that.

6. Artificial_Sunshine Pop Princess

As a New Yorker; I've never stepped foot inside a Wallmart. Recently plans were made to build one in the city, but there was some big public outcry (since Wallmart is evil and all) and the plans were scapped...for now.

7. martryn Dick in hand

God bless Wal-Mart, it's low prices and high convenience. Great place to shop, awful place to work, shitty place to live, and sure-fire way to pick up hookers at 3 AM in the morning.

8. Mojim Gin-ism

I've heard rumours that Wal-Mart is coming to my country.If there's a Wal-Mart here,they have to compete with 3 others major hypermarket that is already succesfull established here ^^.
    There's Carrefour (from France) and Tesco (UK) and the other is our own local hypermarket called Giant.

Is Wal-Mart good in the States? and how about the price?

9. uncle jafuncle sustenance proxy

Wal-mart has cheap ammunition (WWII enthusiast). I'll risk being mistaken for white trash if I can get some .45 ACP, Luger 9mm, .30-06, and .30-30 for only about $20 a box on average.

10. sperish so?

I've never been to a Wal-Mart, but if they're all about low prices and late night hookers, then yay for Wal-Mart.

11. Saufsoldat POOP TRAIN CONDUCTOR

Once a wal-mart tried to settle downin my hometown but they sold stuff nobody wanted to buy to prices nobody wanted to pay... They had to close 3months later because the people kept going to ALDI and LIDL (european discounters that treat and pay their employees very well).

12. falconmain pocket pussy

for the rest of the people outside the US (howdy :) ) wal mart is the largest chain in the US by far the 7 siblings that own wal mart are all in forbes top 15 richest people in the world (or was it the US either way its alot) and their prices are insanely low because they buy mostly chinese stuff. and with their current buying power are forcing down non chinese suppliers too.

13. Mojim Gin-ism

Ah that's why the price in Wal-Mart is cheap,it's from China stuffs ^^.I see now.
    Thanks for the info :)

14. That NOS Guy The Pilot Who Lives by Pride

The problem with Wal-Mart is that it's competition isn't fair. When the smaller companies can't squeeze their suppliers, hire illegal immigrants (and then lock them in the stores), won't let their employees unionize, etc. the ball is obviously in Wal-Mart's court.

Just food for thought, take it as you will but people rave about the low prices in a Wal Mart. Remember, this only symbolizes the declining wage of the American worker and blood money from China. Please, do remember these things.

That being said I've bought exactly one thing from a Wal-Mart ever, a razor that I was in very desperate need of.

15. Cardboard Jewsuke Draffut

Walmart is very bad for the Economy. But I still shop there ocassionally like a Hypocritical bastard though.

If Microsoft gets it's hands slapped for almost being a Monopoly, and fucking up our economic system, I dont see why the same fate shouldn;t come down on Walmart.

16. falconmain pocket pussy

well its slightly more complicated then that. American is more a service based economy and production has slowly been shifting to other markets (china) for awhile now. in General those jobs are higher paying because of the labor or skill involved in the production of a product. Wal mart is simply a product of our current marketplace there is no need to produce stuff in the US when it can be made cheaper elsewhere. Its a basic result of capitalism, what lies ahead for the american job force? I am not sure, from what I have read it seems that its going to have to be in higher educated jobs. I dont think its fair to say Wal Mart symbolizes the decline of american wages since it has been declining since the late 70's (more stagnant when you take into account inflation)

17. That NOS Guy The Pilot Who Lives by Pride

Uh no. It's only recently that we see a decline in real wage median for the average American.

With the economy beginning to slow, the current expansion has a chance to become the first sustained period of economic growth since World War II that fails to offer a prolonged increase in real wages for most workers.

Read it and weep. We notice it wages beginning to slide after 2000. Incidentally, that's when Bush came into office.

But anyway. The fact that we see the rise of a giant whose entire slogan is "Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! So you can still make end's meat!" symbolizes the fall of the wage as increasingly Americans must go to cheaper and cheaper sellers to get the same amount of merchandise.

18. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

I love Wal-Mart, sadly Hurricane Katrina came and raped it. Awaiting its re-opening lol. I personally dont see anything erong with it, I buy name brand boxers and socks there; not to mention the occassional video game. I see nothing wrong with wal-mart. Maybe im just naive though.

19. Seren Bitch Slap of the Kage

Well, Wal-Mart's health insurance sucks, is practically unaffordable to a lot of families, and their own CEO admitted that workers would get better benefits off of taxpayers- gov't funded health insurance, which sucks ass. They close stores that wish to unionise. They have a shitty workers rights history, as well. Their wages are close to poverty level, and the health benefits they off, like I said before, suck ass.

As for their track record with their own employees, they've been sued for forcing people to work off the clock (and held liable), having minors work in unsafe places and after hours, and having assocates miss breaks. They contract Chinese companies that they know use slave labour- imagine having to work for fourteen hours a day, six days a week, with crap to no health benefits, for half of the minimum wage. Now imagine that minimum wage is 33 cents an hour. What's that say about Wal-Mart? It saves people a few pennies at the store, and never mind the businesses it destroys.

20. falconmain pocket pussy

well I think you pointed out yourself the more likely reason why after 2000 wages declined at more increasing rate.

Its not in a giant downturn like you seem to imply. also your article also points out that the average income is actually on the rise still but as I am sure your not to happy about it is because the upperclass is making more above inflation then normal.

still I think it more a result of how the economy has shifted then one company.

21. mr_yenz Lavender Raine

Ozland doesn't have this thing called a "Wal-mart". :oh

That sounds awesome. :amazed
    /adds to list of things to do in the U.S.

22. falconmain pocket pussy

watches him write on the list.... "pick up hooker at 3am at wal-mart"

23. That NOS Guy The Pilot Who Lives by Pride

Oh, how so? Even then, the cause is irrelvant to the matter at hand. The matter at hand is when the downturn occured. Survey says it's a more recent occurance, not since the 70's as you claimed.

Where the hell did my article do that?

It claimed national family income was on the rise, not average income. Please, when you're trying to use something against me don't make things up.

Of course it is. Which was my entire point in the first place. Wal-mart is a sign of the times.

24. mr_yenz Lavender Raine

...I'm a girl. :oh

Anyways, Wal-mart sounds odd. >_>

25. Cardboard Jewsuke Draffut

Male hooker?

26. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

Wal-Mart simply succeeds in business and that makes companies it succeeds over angry. Thus we get anti-Walmart propaganda.

Wal-Mart is big and powerful for a reason. The masses like it and I see no need in the government meddling with a business on the grounds that it's doing too well.

27. kapsi Banned

It kills small business

28. FrostXian Messiah With An Attitude

Wallmart is a supermarket, thats all.
    YET someone explain the relation of hookers with Walmart.
    If Wallmart starts to destroy economy in a huge scale, it'll MYSTERIOUSLY fail, and close down. We all know why.

29. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

Wal-mart also provides an area with more jobs that a small business could not maintain and it allows lower middle class people to live moderately well with its prices.

If a business can't survive it dies. Basis of capitalism. Which also happens to be one of the most important socio-economic principles of America. Trying to keep small business's alive when they can't compete in the market is messing with the natural order essentially.

The only time a business should be regulated is if there is a monopoly. And with stores like Target around Wal-mart is not a monopoly yet.

30. Koanashi Member

Dunno about Walmart, but Asda, the British member of the Walmart family, doesn't even have excellent prices; the only thing there that is worth looking at is actually the clothes they sell there, which are actually cheap and still good quality.

Walmart, from what I here, is really just another big buisness out to make it's money; it doesn't really matter how, just that the cash is flowing into the rght pockets. It also looks like it's doing America's economy in, like many buisnesses, by moving production etc. to countries were it is cheaper. The west is going to look rather stupid when faced with extreme unemployment rates, and the majority of emplyees are just presing keyboard buttons for insurance companies, which is what'll happen at this rate; Walmart is just another buisness supporting this future.