1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join the RP Section for the monthly world (universe?) creation contest. This month's theme is space opera.

So charge the hyperdrive, power up the plasma cannons, and set sail for new worlds!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the NF Awards! Nominate your favorite posters!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the latest Newsletter!

Click here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The future of the Cafe Subsections is up to you. Vote here to make your voice heard!"

Click here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Yu Yu Hakusho worth watching?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Djomla, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Djomla Magic Emperor

I consider HxH 2011 to be the best shonen anime up to this point. So I decided to check YYH as well.

I'm on episode 12 and it isn't really what I expected. I'm not so eager to see the next episode. Should I continue? Does it get better?

Also sub or dub? Heard dub is cool here.

Um, I have watched and enjoy (shonens) Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, MHA, HxH, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bleach, Black Clover, FMA if that matters.

Thanks for answers guys. :3 Be gentle please.

ningen out.

Tags:
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. White Wolf Moderator

Yes
    Yes, quite a bit
    I preferred the dub, even in a rewatch not too long ago.
    With this list there's really no reason not to enjoy YYH once it picks up.

Episode 12 is...*checks* not that special lol, but once you get towards the Four Beasts, Tournament and Demon arcs now that's when things get really epic.

You're actually quite close to 4 Beasts arc which starts on like ep 14.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Superman Well-Known Member

Egypt, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Serbia, Russia, Portugal, Iceland, Germany, France, England, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco, Sokovia, Poland
    I can only like a post one time.....

4. Xiammes All For One Administrator

I recommend watching the dub, the original japanese script is actually really bland in comparison and I am sure I wouldn't have gotten hooked into it without the english dub.

5. Inuhanyou Will of the Goddess

yeah. dub here is far better than sub, which is just bland IMO.

The dub puts in the proper attitude and twang to make it stand out. The sub makes it sound like a super generic 90s shounen series.

6. ZE E?E

Believe me. You should keep watching it. The first 20 episodes or so were a pain to watch the first time I tried watching it. I was watching 1 episode per week only when I didn't have anything to do, but once the dark tournament arc started, I couldn't stop. For me, it's up there with the best anime adaptations ever. Especially when we talk of shounen adaptations. I would even say it's on par with HxH, and in that sense, the first 20 episodes are its weakest point.

7. Eternal Dreamer The Bored Lolmaster

Actually if you ask me, the first episodes are among the best of the show. After that it becomes more of a standard shonen anime, but it is definitely above average when compared to a lot of them.

8. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

I think I've picked up and dropped this series like three times now. The plot seems pretty boring and none of the characters appeal to me, but I haven't even made it to ten episodes yet, so this thread is convincing me to give it another try. The only problem is that I just don't have the time or patience anymore to watch 100+ episode series unless they are extremely good...

9. ZE E?E

It gets that good, I assure you. So much so that watching those 100 episodes won't require any patience. The problem is getting through the beginning.

10. Jonavity Neko

Sweden
    I haven't watched it but it's considered a classic so it's probably worth a watch and it's from the same guy who gave us HXH.

11. Brian           

it only picks up in the Dark Tournament arc(episode 26+), everything before that is standard shit

12. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

Kids these days....

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  13. Inuhanyou Will of the Goddess

you cant blame children for being ignorant of old shows...even if we were more on notice of 80s, 70s and 60s shows

14. Imagine Real nibba

It's the GOAT. Watch it then rewatch it then read the manga. :ufdup

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Inuhanyou Will of the Goddess

manga's clearly inferior tho, the anime did a great job cleaning up the bloated messiness of the manga and making it a lean, more comprehensible work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Imagine Real nibba

The manga isn't bloated? It actually goes into greater detail about the demon world as a whole, which Togashi actually wanted to do.

17. redrum

yes, it is

18. White Wolf Moderator

If an anime is a 9/10 or 10/10 I'll usually not bother reading the manga. If you don't like it - it spoils some of the experience. If it isn't as good - it spoils some of the experience. You might get lucky but if the anime is already so great, just rewatch it down the line. :catsun

19. Roman Phantom Thief

I absolutely can't think of a reason why it's not worth watching. If you liked Dragonball and Naruto, you have literally no excuse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Sloth Enchanting your damage.

I think I might have read part of it a few years back, but I'm like 99% sure I never finished it if I did.

Definitely worth watching. I've watched it through probably 3 or 4 times. Not even counting the episodes you just catch on TV now and again.

:offtopic
    Also, what is with all this just watch the anime nonsense? Straight-up disrespectful to the original work. Fucking fake-weeb plebes.

I literally check every anime on animefillerlist.com to make sure I don't end up watching any studio cash-grab trash. I've seen less than an arc of the post VotE, pre-Shippuden, Naruto episodes. The only exceptions I make are movies and the occasional gag episode; DBS does 'em right sometimes.

I can't imagine intentionally ignoring the OG canon.

21. Roman Phantom Thief

I'm pretty sure I watched the anime at least five times and read through the manga twice. I can't think of any other series I did that for.

22. Sloth Enchanting your damage.

Yeah, now that you mention it. It's probably one of my most rewatched series as well. :hm

Probably goes

FLCL
    YYH
    FMA: BH
    Inuyasha (Fluffy-sama > you)

I never re-read an entire series. My Adderal-dependant ass ain't got no attention span for them shenanigans.

23. Inuhanyou Will of the Goddess

you mean to tell me the whole pointless "mystery" arc at the beginning wasnt fat that was rightly trimmed? Either Togashi just went off on his own and made pointless story arcs, or ended things too anticlimactic and without merit like many of the battles that had to be extended for the anime for them to even be worth anything, and even the final arc itself

YYH is definitely one of those series where the anime's changes and direction made the overall work far better than the source material

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  24. Imagine Real nibba

Yeah, no. That arc was just fine. What made the anime better than the manga was the atmosphere. In the manga, you don't get that same ambiance the anime had. The DT in the anime and in the manga feel totally different.

25. Jackalinthebox Well-Known Member

The anime and manga are both great. I'd say you need to go through both to get the full experience though. The anime left out some things from the manga, like a handful of chapters for instance

26. SonOfMan (ง •̀_•́)ง

Yes it's worth it. The OP is so nostalgic for me.

27. Styles Infamous

Yusuke one of the GOAT Shounen MCs :bury. Dope show, but it's not on the same level as HxH(2011). Don't go in with those expectations.

And I liked the sub simply for Boutan's voice. It's pleasing to the ear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  28. Avalon

I only read the manga but I can tell you that the beginning was extremely boring and the series got really good once the 4 Beast arc started.

The Dark Tournament arc was legendary.

Keep in mind I have never seen the anime so I don't know if they did it justice.

29. Avalon

However, if you are looking for good anime, check out FMA Brotherhood and Code Geass.

30. Keishin Well-Known Member

Literally slept through the first 20 episodes with headphones on. You can find the episodes dubbed on Youtube so it's free to watch anywhere on your phone with the YouTube app.