• Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

    Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

It's Never Sunny in Barovia

"Ah, good!" Kieran says with a smile. "An ambush free bridge, and a place that we might seek shelter against the cold as night approaches." Despite his words he'll keep a keen eye out for any movement, traps, or ambushes.

Perception:
Result: 1d20 (19) + 2 Total: 21

"Travel in most parts of this realm is unadvised at night. Shall we see if we can't set up for the night here?"
Near the opening behind the dilapidated house you can see there are some signs of someone living there. There's little bones from creatures outside and areas where there might have been cook fires and the like. Inside of the cave there is no visible light, but it could be deep enough to hide the light.

There is a ridge on the side of the road that you approached from that overlooks the whole area (off to the upper left of the map) and it would be probably the most defensible place to camp.

Kira gives a somewhat derisive sniff at the notion of not favoring night travel, shooting Kieran a dubious glance but otherwise doesn't comment.

"So your current intent is to track down and return a pair of...arms?" she asks mildly.
We'll assume that someone told you, they're out to get back the stolen arms of a war forged who enlisted their help.
*Pogo scouts a head. Moving slowly towards the farm house and tries to look in. Stealth (14), perception (16)*
You cross the bridge and make your way to the small cabin. It's pretty run down and it looks as if it has been abandoned a long time. The door facing the road is mostly in place, but there are plants grown up all on the inside and it looks like the building might topple over if you even dared to put too much weight on it.
 
Pogo climbs through the window of the small house, the only light inside is what filters through the windows. Once inside the floor feels spongy and loose beneath his weight and there's an intense smell of damp mold and rot in the air. On the adjacent wall there is a stone hearth that is barely visible in the light from a nearby window. A small table is near the center of the room, though two of the legs have shattered and the table itself is partially collapsed onto the floor. On either side of it are two overturned chairs.

Here and there around the room you can see where thick bundles of weeds and vines have pushed up through the aged floor and spilled out onto the floorboards in an effort to overtake the house.
 

makeoutparadise

I will have my revenge
Pogo climbs through the window of the small house, the only light inside is what filters through the windows. Once inside the floor feels spongy and loose beneath his weight and there's an intense smell of damp mold and rot in the air. On the adjacent wall there is a stone hearth that is barely visible in the light from a nearby window. A small table is near the center of the room, though two of the legs have shattered and the table itself is partially collapsed onto the floor. On either side of it are two overturned chairs.

Here and there around the room you can see where thick bundles of weeds and vines have pushed up through the aged floor and spilled out onto the floorboards in an effort to overtake the house.
*Pogo cautiously makes his way to the broken table and continues to look around the room trying to see if there’s any trap doors or hidden panels with a insight check of (18)*
 
There's a huge commotion coming from the sky, a ghastly cry that sounds like a bird with something caught in it's throat struggling to call out pierces the air and it seems a wave of sound ripples over the countryside near the bridge and cave.

A human voice yells something unintelligible, but triumphant as a dark form crashes down in the shallows of the river rolling over and over leaving feathers and fur as it flails its wings haphazardly.

A humanoid form tumbles free from first, larger one. A man with shield and hammer in hand, clad in midnight black amor with a blazing golden sun worked into the metal of his breastplate. He moves onto one knee staring the beast down. The beast is a mixture of two creatures really: a thin muscular feline body with the head of an eagle and huge wings that open out to its sides, although the longer you look at the creature something isn't quite right. Its neck is torn open in the front with dark, grizzly flesh dangling free and one of it's eyes is gone.

Samara, recognizes this man's armor as she traveled with him for three years. It's Arthur.

He rises to his feet, glancing back to see them on them standing there and he lifts his helm to reveal a dark skinned human man. He smiles the biggest smile, all the while side-eyeing his foe.



"Come get a taste before the thrill's all gone, friends! FOR THE DAWN LORD!" Arthur charges the thing, hammer held high ready to strike.
 

SakuraLover16

Sakura + Sasuke = Sarada
Samara had mixed feelings seeing the man she spent years traveling with. On one hand she did miss him terribly and on the other he up and left without saying a word. She decided she would sort these feelings out after they completed their task. She nods at the man she had grown to care for acknowledging his existence.
 
If anyone is going to step in go ahead and roll Initiative.

You could roll an Intelligence or Knowledge (Nature) to identify the creature. In the case of Leon he could use a Knowledge (History) too
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Well hello there.

As the others honed in on the obvious threat of this...bird creature, Kira eyed up the knight currently fighting him thoughtfully. Though she had no idea whether he was a werewolf, his buff and brawly form would suit her purposes just fine.

All she had to do was make a good impression.

The Drow removed her silver whip from her belt with a tinkling sound of chimes echoing off the fine material. As she approached the beast, she began to reverberate a haunting, hollow song from the back of her throat, swinging the whip in a rhythmic arc around her in time with the tune. Then, then whip lashed out and attempted to latch a note onto the bird creature facing off against the armored man and sheath it in a booming song note.

(Bonus Action: Bladesong. Free item interaction to draw whip, moving 40 feet towards the bird. Main Action: Booming Blade on the creature, with whip's Reach. AC 19, HP 16/16, Speed 40.)

#Initiative Kira: 1d20 (6) + 3 Total: 9

#attack booming blade: 1d20 (7) + 5 Total: 12
 

SakuraLover16

Sakura + Sasuke = Sarada
Initiative 1d20(7)+2=9

Samara raises her crystal ball as she chants staring at the creature

To hit 1d20(18)+6=24

Damage 1d10 (3)
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Kieran examines the new arrival with somewhat detached curiosity. The wounds certainly appeared mortal, at least to him, which likely meant more undead. No appreciation for the fine arts or the madness locked away within his mind. Still, if left to roam it would probably try to eat them, which sounded less pleasant than other things they could be doing.

He raises his cane and and begins his syncopated, somewhat unsettling chant, green energy building to lance out at the creature.

Initiative:
Result: 1d20 (5) + 3 Total: 8

Attack:
Result: 1d20 (14) + 6 Total: 20

Damage:
Result: 1d10 (2) + 4 Total: 6
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Leon tries to recall something about this creature.

History: Result: 1d20 (14) Total: 14

If he remembers something he'll try to call out a weakness or say something about it's nature.

As he prepares to fight he draws a Javalin out his quiver and throws it. And the approaches the monster with his shield readied.

Initiatve: Result: 1d20 (20) + 3 Total: 23
Javelin Throw: Result: 1d20 (3) + 5 Total: 8
Javelin Damgae: Result: 1d6 (2) + 3 Total: 5
 
Spoiler: Leon
Leon recognizes the creature as a gryphon or griffin, they're not uncommon in his world though this one seems to be wounded beyond the point that it should be able to stand, let alone fly or fight.


Spoiler: Pogo
Pogo isn't sure of the creature, but he knows that this isn't its natural state. From the state of its neck to the way it moves he can tell that this thing is no longer among the living.


Spoiler: Out of character for all
The reason I broke these things down like this is simple, the world Leon is from is pretty much lousy with these things from what I can tell so a ten would have probably gotten him a name. Pogo got enough to recognize something was very wrong with the creature but not what it was.
 
Initiative Rolls
Pogo – 11
Samara – 9
Kieran – 8
Leon – 23
Griffon – 11
Arthur – 12
Kira – 9
Cordin – 18

Order goes: Leon, Arthur, Pogo, Griffon, Kira, Samara, and Kieran


Round 1:

Leon readies a javelin as Cordin charges down to the river barking and growling. The dog runs down beside where Arthur is steadying himself and skirts past the monster causing it to turn and look at him. (granting Leon advantage on which he rolled an 18).

Leon’s aim is true and the tail end of the javelin wobbles as it sails through the air finding its mark in the creature’s chest. Though it is wounded, the monster makes no sound to show that it is concerned with the injury, nor does it flinch or move.

Arthur moves in at this moment to swipe with his Warhammer, but narrowly misses.

Pausing things right here until @makeoutparadise posts his actions.
 

makeoutparadise

I will have my revenge
Initiative Rolls
Pogo – 11
Samara – 9
Kieran – 8
Leon – 23
Griffon – 11
Arthur – 12
Kira – 9
Cordin – 18

Order goes: Leon, Arthur, Pogo, Griffon, Kira, Samara, and Kieran


Round 1:

Leon readies a javelin as Cordin charges down to the river barking and growling. The dog runs down beside where Arthur is steadying himself and skirts past the monster causing it to turn and look at him. (granting Leon advantage on which he rolled an 18).

Leon’s aim is true and the tail end of the javelin wobbles as it sails through the air finding its mark in the creature’s chest. Though it is wounded, the monster makes no sound to show that it is concerned with the injury, nor does it flinch or move.

Arthur moves in at this moment to swipe with his Warhammer, but narrowly misses.

Pausing things right here until @makeoutparadise posts his actions.
*Being the rogue that he is, Pogo tries to stealth into the mist. Stealth roll: (14), drawing his sword he makes his way down to the river and attempts to strike the undead creature with his rapier.* (12) to hit
 
Order goes: Leon, Arthur, Pogo, Griffon, Kira, Samara, and Kieran

Spoiler:
Round 1:

Leon readies a javelin as Cordin charges down to the river barking and growling. The dog runs down beside where Arthur is steadying himself and skirts past the monster causing it to turn and look at him. (granting Leon advantage on which he rolled an 18).

Leon’s aim is true and the tail end of the javelin wobbles as it sails through the air finding its mark in the creature’s chest. [-5] Though it is wounded, the monster makes no sound to show that it is concerned with the injury, nor does it flinch or move.

Arthur moves in at this moment to swipe with his Warhammer, but narrowly misses.


Round 1 Continued:

Pogo breaks moves through the fog and mist to attack at the creature’s side, slashing into one of the wings. His attack lands [-12] and he manages to catch his foe in a vulnerable position due to two other people being currently corning it (Cordin is running around the creature’s back legs, Arthur is directly in front of it)

The Griffon lets out a mournful, rattling cry from somewhere deep in its guts that reverberates up through it’s rotten flesh, throwing Leon’s javelin free. A burst of sickening energy ripples outward from it, hitting everyone in its immediate area. Arthur is pushed back from the energy, seemingly injured [-5]. Cordin yelps out as the wave passes over him and Pogo is hit too [-2].

The Griffon then turns its attentions to Pogo raking out at him with hooked talons. [-10] Kira closes in, her whip encased in crackling lightning as she uses its reach to lash out at the griffon, she hits and with a thunderous pop the lightning passes from her weapon into the creature. [-5]

Samara raises her crystal ball, letting a beam of eldritch energy tear through the air and pound into the Griffon’s chest and, as if it’s part of some coordinated effort Kieran’s crosses through hers, jostling the griffon right in the face and causing it stumble uneasily off to one side. [-3 -6]

End of Round 1
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Kieran almost frowns at the creature. Undead were, by definition, already supposed to be dead, so it was difficult to gauge the effect they were having. It seeming to have some measure of magical ability also made things worse, he was far from any sort of expert but this obviously was a more threatening situation. Looking at the situation with the others reminded him why he preferred to stay far away from melee. Still they likely could use some more serious assistance.

Locking his eyes on the undead griffin he whispers something too silent to be heard, one of the great truths of the multiverse, the kind only known by those that had viewed it from the outside.

: Result: 3d6 (6, 6, 5) Total: 17 (Psychic)
Wis Save (15? 9+PB+Chr?) or take above damage and must use reaction to flee away from Kieran at max speed. On a successful save takes half damage and doesn't flee.
 

strongarm85

Well-Known Member
Leon pulls his spear out his quiver and attacks the Gryphon.

Attack roll: 1d20 (15) + 5 Total: 20
Damage: 1d6 (6) + 3 Total: 9

He then attempts a shove attack with his shield resisted by the target's athletics or acrobatics to shove it down the ground. If he's successful he'll give everyone advantage on their follow up melee attacks since the Gryphon will be prone.

Shove Attack: 1d20 (10) + 5 Total: 15
 

SakuraLover16

Sakura + Sasuke = Sarada
Irritation filled Samara’s chest as she watched the creature stumble. “Why won’t it just die?” Samara says aloud. Then as if guided by something Samara looks at the creature whispering an incantation as she lifts her crystal ball. Finishing her incantation Samara casts sacred flame 1d(8)=8 should the creature fail a dexterity roll it will be hit with a flame like radiance.
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Kira redoubles her efforts as she cuts another arc across the bird's hide with her whip.

#booming blade: 1d20 (17) + 5 Total: 22
Result: 1d4 (1) + 3 Total: 4
 
Round Two:

Leon breezes past Arthur and Pogo, shield raised high as skewers the Griffon through one of its leathery wings. [-9] The beast turns to look at him and he presses his shield against it, trying to force it back. Against the odds, Leon manages to unseat the Griffon, pushing it. The things talons rake at the mud as it tries to keep its foot, but Leon doesn’t relent.

Cordin retreats back toward the area where Samara and Kieran are. Arthur takes another swing at the Griffon with his hammer, missing once more. Pogo closes the gap between himself and the Griffon, shakes off his wounds and attacks again scoring another hit [-6 -4 sneak]

The Griffon rushes to push back at Leon, who raises his shield, but the moment that the creature moves forward a bolt of lightning seems to strike it from within. [-1] The Griffon moves to shove Leon, ramming against his shield, but Leon easily holds his ground, pushing the Griffon back further as it struggles against him.

Kira lets her whip lash out, slashing at creature and beating it back. The whip finds its mark in the thing’s face and, even given its lack of genuine sense of survival, the Griffon jerks its gaze away. [-4]

With the Griffon now ten feet from where it started and humiliated, Samara summons up a torrent of sacred fire from beneath the creature. It recoils at the touch of the radiant fire, it’s body sizzling and its feathers catching and smoking. [-16]

Kieran speaks under his breath, his lips moving in a cadence that would be impossible to read. An otherworldly low rumbling cry, like a whale song ripples through the air as something answers Kieran’s whispered words. There’s a green bolt of lightning behind the clouds that illuminates a darkened form in the sky for a split second.

And then the griffon jerks in pain [-17].

The creature is still on its feet, but it’s fur and feathers smoke from sacred fire and it looks a lot worse for wear.
 

EvilMoogle

Well-Known Member
Supporting Staff
Kieran was starting to dislike undead, which was a dangerous mindset to have in this particular corner of the realm. Still better to finish this creature off than leave it to recoup. Falling back to his more traditional attacks he reiterates his sharp syncopated chant summoning another bolt of green energy to hopefully put down this bird once and for all.

Eldritch Bolt Attack: Result: 1d20 (10) + 6 Total: 16
Damage: Result: 1d10 (9) + 4 Total: 13
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Kira gives her whip another spin in midair before bringing it down forcefully to try and bring the monstrosity down with purpose.

#booming blade: 1d20 (2) + 5 Total: 7
 

SakuraLover16

Sakura + Sasuke = Sarada
Samara sighs as she raises her crystal ball and mutters an incantation casting sacred flame again 1d(8)=5 it couldn’t survive much more she knew.
 
Top Bottom