1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

Japanisms in SDS.

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Architect, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Architect of the Works of Beauty

SDS has a medieval european setting, but characters still use this kind of gestures
    (half of that, i.e. formed with one hand; too lazy to look for that in the SDS manga)
    Commandment taking incantation also souds pretty japanese.
    And Indura's name isn't borrowed from Japan, but from Indian religion.
    I believe there're some other examples I might've forgotten about.

So, what do you think about that? Do you care? Does it irritate you?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Keishin Well-Known Member

thats a fodder naruto character doing a hand seal?

3. Architect of the Works of Beauty

yes.

4. Dayscanor The One

That gesture isn't used only in Japan.The Chinese also use it.
    The incantations are rearranged words in Japanese, someone on Tumblr has the incantations in proper Japanese.

No because for the hundredth time Indra in Katakana would be Indora, not Indura, and the Japanese have a different name for him (Taishaku-ten).Even so the commandments themselves are more inspired by Buddhism than actual Christian commandments. There's a thread on Reddit that explains the difference.Besides as you realized it's not a Japanism, so it's irrelevant.

And yet you seem to completely forget about Nanashi, the most straightforward Japanism in the manga, or the fact Death Pierce has a katana.

Does it bother me? No because I like multiculturalism in my manga and irl too, unlike what some people would say. You can argue that it's not very authentic or "historically accurate" to have depictions of non European medieval shit in there, but news flash this isn't a historical manga. It's fantasy, so expect all sorts of crazy stuff, even a Samurai and a talking pig/cat.:kobe

5. Roadagain Goat's Sin of Lust Retired Staff

Deathpierce had a katana? I know Simon has the unnecessarily long blade though.

6. Dayscanor The One

Looks like a katana to me.

Yeah the nodachi. Wouldn't call it unnecessary long, it has its uses.

7. Inuhanyou Will of the Goddess

i dont think we can expect japanese to make a super historically accurate western medieval times setting, like westerners looking at asia, its all generalized and the research and resources to make that kind of thing is just not there for most content creators. they just make something fun and based on a generalized and stereotypical view of what the content is

8. Lord Valgaav My fries

Brah its a japanese manga what u expect

10. Rohan

I was never bothered by it because it's made by a Japanese author. I actually like all the Japanese references.