1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Judas Priest: Firepower (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by mr_shadow, Mar 9, 2018.

1. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden

The 18th studio album by Judas Priest is here! Available on Spotify.

I'm listening as we speak, and it's glorious.:bury

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Rob Halford hasn't sung this good in decades, but I'm not impressed. It reminds me of older bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Venom and so on trying to re-create something off their past, but they just ned up sounding old and tired.

3. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Reviewers are calling it the best album since Painkiller (1990).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Dark Wanderer In the Shadows

I didn't listen to the previous album or any of their more recent stuff for that matter but I may check this one out on account of the great things I've heard.

5. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

And what? Is that something I should care about? I'm sorry, but I form my own opinions about things, and could not care less what others think of it. So what reviewers might call an album, a film or TV-series is in none of my interest whatsoever.

On top of that they've not made a single decent album since Painkiller, so creating an album that is "the best album since Painkiller" is not very impressive.

Btw, St. Anger is one of the most mocked albums in the history of metal and with good reason, but at the time of its release it got quite a good reception and was hailed as "their best album since Black Album/And Justice for All". Can't remember witch. Doesn't matter. The album is fucking godawful nonetheless. Anyway, reviewers lol.

6. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    As you said yourself Painkiller was 28 years ago (!), so it's literally been "decades" since they were at this level.

Personally I think the style of Firepower kind of reminds me of Ram it Down (1988). Which is in the upper-middle range of Priest albums.

But in terms of stylistic rejuvenation Redeemer of Souls and Firepower are in par with Sabbath's 13 (2013), which somehow time-travelled us back to like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973).

Anyhow there's no need to be this defensive. Critics having an opinion doesn't infringe your right to have an opinion, but it can be informative to listen to what people who make their living listening to music think about it.

7. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's been decades and they're not even close now. I might give the album a 3/6 just because they're a bunch of old metal rocking out, but if I'm gonna be honest and judge the album based on the music alone I'll give the album a 2/6. As uninteresting and boring as it gets really.

It's on the same level as the already mentioned "13" by Black Sabbath. Only thing that makes this a bit better is that the production isn't quite as bad as on "13".

Of course I am gonna be defensive here. I'm stating my opinion and for weird reason that does not make any sense whatsoever you decide to quote me to tell me the critics liked it, as if that anything to say.

Best Judas Priest albums in modern time wasn't even released by Judas Priest IMO. They were released by bands like Flight and Ram. Not a fan of either, but they'll do for sure. Miles better than anything Judas Priest released after Painkiller, that for sure.

8. Charmander For the HORDE!

Brazil
    Dat Halford :mahbama Will get his album asap.

9. Ashen-Shugar A wild romantic rover

Well its harder to hit the high notes as you get older but you still have fun. Just don't *toss* bike tires off penthouse roofs while on "ludes" lol

edit reason: hashtag fondue trial and error

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  10. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Hoping they'll come to Asia so I get to see them.

I looked at if I could maybe sneak into the Swedish leg of the tour when I'm home for summer, but every last ticket was sold out.

Not surprising since this year the Sweden Rock Festival features Judas Priest AND Ozzy Osbourne AND Iron Maiden! Holy shit.

11. DemonDragonJ Cowboy from Hell

I have never seen Judas Priest live, before, but I will be seeing them on the 22nd of this month, so I am very excited about that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Congrats! So jealous. <3

13. DemonDragonJ Cowboy from Hell

Thank you, and that is not the only concert that I am seeing, this year; I already saw Alice Cooper last week (March 8), and I will be seeing Slayer in June and Ozzy Osbourne in September.

I currently own nearly every album of theirs (Judas Priest's) from Rocka Rolla to Painkiller, missing only Point of Entry and Ram it Down, because I have read that those two albums are not as good as the others from that era; are they worth owning?

14. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Dude, if you already own 16/18 albums, isn't it worth buying the last two just to complete the set, even if you don't end up liking them?

15. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

I think Ram it Down is on the same level as Rocka Rolla, and Point of Entry is on the level of Turbo, so a step down. But it's still decent fun and far from bad or boring. So I'd say both album are well worth the purchase and both are way ahead of everything released after Painkiller.

Just check out the title track from Ram it Down.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. DemonDragonJ Cowboy from Hell

I actually do not own anything after Painkiller, I meant to say that I owned from Rocka Rolla to Painkiller, skipping only PoE and RiD; what about Angel of Retribution? That was their first album after the return of Rob Halford, and I imagine that it was similar to Brave New World by Iron Maiden, a revival of their career when their best-known vocalist returned.

On that subject, many bands whose careers were great and then faltered have succeeded in revitalizing themselves; the aforementioned 13 by Black Sabbath and BNW by Iron Maiden are great examples, but Death Magnetic by Metallica and United Abominations by Megadeth were also both wonderful returns to form after those bands endured much internal strife during the 1990's.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  17. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    It was definitely better than the unspeakable Jugulator (1997) and Demolition (2001), but I remember it having a kind of doom-ish vibe to it that was at odds with Priest's generally fast-paced and "cheerful" sound.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. DemonDragonJ Cowboy from Hell

I like both Rocka Rolla and Turbo, so if PoE and RiD are equal to them, then I would definitely enjoy those albums.

I do like doom metal, so I would not be bothered by that; also, Metallica's self-titled fifth album, (commonly referred to as "The Black Album") was considerably slower and more somber than their first four (except perhaps Ride the Lighting, which I still believe is their darkest album), but still most excellent, so it seems to me that the same is true with AoR.

19. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Eh. Can't compare Black Album and Angel of Retribution. The Black Album sees Metallica shifting from thrash metal to heavy metal with strong nods towards pop. Angel of Retribution is darker than previous Judas Priest albums, but it's pure heavy metal nonetheless. But the album wasn't a huge stylistic change ala The Black Album, and unlike The Black Album it was not an attempt to become bigger and please more people either. If anything it's quite the opposite. So yeah, can't be compared in any way.

20. DemonDragonJ Cowboy from Hell

I see; in that case, although this is a thread about Judas Priest, as long as we are discussing stylistic changes, and since I currently have an avatar of Dimebag Darrell, I wish to ask: what is your opinion of Pantera changing their style in the 1990's? I definitely believe that it was a good thing, but I disliked how they essentially disowned their previous material (when Deep Purple changed their style in the 1970's they did not disown their three albums form the 60's), and I also disliked the macho "tough guy" image that they portrayed, as few bands other than Manowar can successfully pull off such an image.

21. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

I'm not really the right guy to ask as I simply can't stand groove metal. I despise it as much as I despise deathcore, modern metalcore ala Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying (essentially all the metalcore bands that's got close to nothing in common with the originators of the genre, and the hardcore roots of the genre) and danseband.

This does however not mean that I don't like groovy music. Because I do. Just not groove metal.

I only like the first four Pantera albums and consider Power Metal a proper classic.

As for disowning albums I can understand it. Especially if the music is total fucking crap like Celtic Frost's Cold Lake. It's up to the band. It can suck for the people who like it, but I can totally understand it if the band themselves don't care for the albums and aren't proud of it. But no matter what they say and do the albums will always be a part of their legacy.

22. DemonDragonJ Cowboy from Hell

I definitely do not like metalcore, either, so I can understand that.

I personally think that Pantera's first four albums are great in their own right, and I have no problem with the band not playing any songs from them, but they really should have kept them in print, because finding copies of them is very difficult, making them collector's items; I found copies of them on EBay, and I really hope that they are legitimate, and not bootlegs, but, if that is the only way to enjoy them, then I can accept that. St. Anger, on the other hand, is definitely an embarrassment, and I agree with Metallica in trying to forget that album, but at least they have kept it in print, unlike what Pantera has done.

23. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

Mexico
    Oh snap.

I'm about to listen to it.

I find Load and Reload to be worse than St. Anger.

And honestly, St Anger has grown on me sooooo much. The album I mean. The song itself, I've loved since day 1.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  24. Ashen-Shugar A wild romantic rover

Just copes with everyone making tunes, being genuine.

25. Mider T VM Rapist

I came to this thread because I sensed there was funny drama on the first page...and there was! Now I guess I'll have to check out this album. If only Painkiller (the NF member) were still around.

Why did you rate it out of 6? Lol

26. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Old habits die hard. Nah, I've used a scale of 1-10 over the past 12-15 years, but when I grew up all the music and film zines I read used either 1-5 or 1-6, without halves. And every now and then I just fall back to it.

But I don't see what's lol about it. Doesn't really matter if you use 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-10, 1-20, 1-100 or whatever. Makes no difference at all.

Yeah, nothing wrong with bootlegs of albums that are hard to find. That's when bootlegs are awesome and well worth it.

27. Deer Lord living for dank memes

I'll listen to it over the weekend then.

I wish I could see them live at my home country but they've never been here.
    At least I'll get to see Ozzy in the summer.

Also getting their albums over here ain't easy, I've only managed to get Painkiller, British Steel, Screaming for Vengence and Redeemer of souls so far. But I'll try and check out a record store to maybe get this one.

28. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    You still have record stores???

In Sweden and China those are all but extinct, since everyone gets their music digitally now. Legally or otherwise.

Which is why I was so happy that Firepower came out on Spotify the same day as the CD. That means I can pay the band for their efforts without having to get out of my chair to find somewhere that still sells records.

29. Deer Lord living for dank memes

There is like one chain left in the country, with an additional chain of book stores that sometimes sell cds too.

When I used to live in Jerusalem there were two places I could go for records but now that I'm back in my hometown I ain't sure where to go. Might have to step out of town.

30. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

We got at least for record stores in the city I live. One is a store with mostly vinyls, and is a coffeeshop as well if I am not mistaken. Never been there, but I know that a lot if second hand stuff.

Another vinyl shop which got only vinyl as far as I know. Only been there once.

One is a metal store with vinyl, CDs, tapes and different types of merch. Really small and tight shop, but with great atmosphere and a surprisingly good selection to offer. Especially in underground black/death/doom/thrash/heavy, but also got some more mainstream stuff.

And the last one is a huge chain with a shitload of films and mostly more popular music. You'll find plenty black and death metal and such, but not the more obscure acts. Decent, but I never use it. I'll rather support one of the smaller ones.

The smaller ones got a much nicer/friendly, more dedicated and more educated (in forms of how much they know about music in general) staff. If I go to the last one and ask anything about lesser known metal, punk, hip hop, country, electronica they won't be able to help me at all, despite having 5-8 people who work at the same time. Whereas the others actually like the stuff they sell and can give you some proper help if needed. I can appreciate that.