1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

[Manga] Jujutsu Kaisen

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by TeenRyu, Jul 17, 2018.

1. TeenRyu Pure Blood Dragon

Manga: Jujutsu Kaisen
    Author: Akutami Gege

Synopsis: Yuuji Itadori is desperately wanted by the track and field team due to his extreme athletic abilities, but thanks to the kindness instilled in him by his Grandpa, Yuuji would rather join the Occult Club desperately in need of more members otherwise they’ll get shut down. However, things take a sudden turn when one Megumi Fushiguro arrives, claiming to be after a cursed object. As Yuuji gets a crash course lesson in the existence of curse monsters, things go south and even this Megumi Fushiguro isn’t able to contain things. Yuuji finds the only way to save his friends– is to eat a cursed object himself and gain its power. How could that possibly go wrong?

Didn’t see a thread, so here we are. Around 17 chapters translated so far, I’m digging it.

Tags:
  2. neoacacia Well-Known Member

Just picked this up, on chapter 11, reminds me of early bleach so far, also the way it’s treating it’s characters and fights are good. The dynamic between yuuji and sukuna is interesting so far.

3. neoacacia Well-Known Member

Just caught up, still loving it so far, the interaction between sukuna and yuuji is interesting. Gojou is awesome, the whole territory concept is nice and could lead to some good fights. Definitely a sleeper series, apparently it’s doing quite well in Japan.

4. neoacacia Well-Known Member

Chapter 22 finally out, Mahito looks deadly so far. Great chapter overall

5. neoacacia Well-Known Member

People need to read this, getting lonely in here :hestonpls

6. neoacacia Well-Known Member

23-25 came out. The fact Mahito is technically a child makes him more dangerous. Nanami is possibly my favourite character

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  7. neoacacia Well-Known Member

Chapter 28 raws are kino:bury:wow

8. Pyriz The Magician

Didn't know this thread existed, but I've been keeping up with Jujutsu Kaisen and I'm enjoying it. The only issue I have with it so far is that I'm very wary of how power creep is going to be handled, because it's so early and we're already getting curses that break the previously established power structure so casually. I really don't like that, though I'm not a big fan of serious power levels in general, as it just ruins the fun of the combat IMO. I'm also getting some strong Naruto and Kurama vibes from Itadori and Sukuna, and I'm not really into that at all.

That said, there are some really good things about the series too. For starters, I love the theme. I've been dying for a good occult-themed series for a while now, and I think Jujutsu Kaisen is doing it very well. The abilities are also interesting, and they seem to be unique to the users, which is nice. Big fan of intricate and unique abilities like Hatsu from HxH or Quirks from Boku no Hero. The combat thus far has been pretty fun except for when Sukuna comes through and just one-shots everything, which is pretty stupid IMO. Overall it's promising, and I'm enjoying it, but I guess it's still a little too early to come to any solid conclusions. I get some "generic shounen" vibes sometimes, which has me a little worried, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives so far.

9. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

I need the website to have them all already

10. OS The Entity

good potential series but there is issues regarding the powerlevels yeah

11. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

Like what ?:catstalk

12. OS The Entity

i just caught up in spurts so imma re-read it again soon but i think there's an issue regarding the power of stronger foes and the kids where it feels like they may catch up quickly. But I think i may be wrong

13. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

We've only seen a handful of characters so far.

14. Pyriz The Magician

Well, for starters, in chapter 6 we got the charts categorizing Curse's power into 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and high grades, with High Grade being the strongest, and the chart explaining the amount of power needed to defeat them comparable to rapid carpet bombing. Two chapter's later, when the Itadori and Fushi are fighting a High Grade curse (which they shouldn't have even been able to do, they're supposed to be noobs and this is supposed to be the strongest type of curse out there), Itadori brings out Sukuna who just completely obliterates this curse. This is a High Grade curse. We'd just finished establishing curses of this grade as the most powerful, and now two chapters later we're seeing it get treated like fodder. That's ridiculous.

Then, we see the captain magma curse, who was stated to be a high grade curse of an unregistered level, meaning we're already introducing curses more powerful than the recently established most powerful curses, and he too got completely toyed with by Satoru, who's seemingly god-tier for some stupid reason.

It's just all over the place. We're only 30 chapters in (40 if you read the raws) and the author is already establishing power levels and making them obsolete within the course of a handful of chapters by introducing even more powerful curses. At this rate we'll have curses destroying galaxies by flicking a booger at someone in a hundred chapters, and I really don't like it at all. I'd rather it focus more on strategy and stylistic match-ups to keep things tense and interesting than continuously introducing new characters with "fuck you" power.

15. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

Sukunna is in a league of his own.

16. Pyriz The Magician

That alone is pretty lame IMO, but it's not just him. It seems we've got at least three characters thus far who've been introduced as being "in a league of their own" which is the problem.

17. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

Sekunna and Satarou

18. Pyriz The Magician

Plus captain magma and Suguru. We're getting way too many characters that break all the rules, and it's especially alarming that we're getting them right after we've just finished establishing the rules. None of these characters should be so crazy though, because it only means that we're likely to get hit with some massive power creep in order for the protagonists to keep up.