1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Just finished reading One Piece and my thoughts are.......

Discussion in 'One Piece Harbour' started by omg laser pew pew!, Sep 26, 2006.

1. omg laser pew pew! is feeling greedy

I love it

I don't know why I didn't start reading it earlier and right now I regret that I didn't pick it up before Naruto or Bleach. I guess it was the art style and protaganist (I mean please, you don't look at Luffy and see a guy that can take on armies) but once I got past the funny faces, I was hooked

Instead of a retarded little nutjob that runs around screaming 'Dattebayo' and 'I wanna be Hokage', we have this rubber guy that does the most ridiculous attacks which are used to beat the most ridiculous guys ever. I thought someone like Gaara or Haku was somewhat original but some villians like Vapolu or Enel leaves them crying for mummy

One Piece also has something that I liked initially about Naruto, there are so many different devil druits(technqiues) unlike Bleach which is somewhat linear as everything is revolving around their swords. One Piece also has something else which I like, there isn't any set tiers in it (most people recognise it as the DBZ syndrome). Naruto started off good since Naruto and the other kids were clearly below the adults but now with all the gates, kyuubi tails, curse seal levels and rainbow pills, Kishi might as well just change Naruto's name to 'Goku'.
    Bleach was the least original as it was plagued by random powerups (look at the SS arc) which although looks cool, is quite lame and kinda a shortcut.

One Piece on the other hand doesn't really have these tiers (though the Gears and the whole douriki thing is kinda stupid) and mainly has the characters get stronger bit by bit through experience (though the part where Zoro and Luffy were owned effortlessly then they come back and own CP9 was silly, at least Oda somewhat addressed that with Zoro saying that they got stronger after near death experiences, saiyan blood maybe?) and slowly learn new techniques as they continue their adventure

The characters is another thing, I don't like writers just introducing 5,000 new characters (ala chuunin exam arc and SS arc) and although One Piece does have this problem, it's not as bad as Naruto (where Kishi has forced himself to waste chapters expanding side characters like Chouji and Ino's personalities). Kubo has this problem with Bleach but luckily for us, alot of side characters won't be getting much screen time and even the characters that do get pages fortunately have very short flashbacks (unlike Sasuke's twenty chapter snorefest)
    Sure there are flashbacks in One Piece and they're very long as well but honestly, I would rather learn about Robin's past than a whingy little emo boy's but that's just me. Also unlike Naruto where many characters became quite useless, One Piece still has plenty of of giving screen time to the weaker Strawhats. I was really amazed at how Usopp beat the merman or how he worked together with Tony Tony Chopper (Best. Name. Ever) against Baroque works

I also like how One Piece is just one big roller coaster ride with very few stops, basically one arc finishes and the next one is screaming at our face so we don't have to waste our time reading about Ichigo whinging about his uselessness.

Another point is the chicks, because of the way Oda draws his 'hot' ladies (like Robin and Kalifa), I never really noticed that pretty much all of them are well endowed, in fact when I did notice, the Strawhats were facing off against CP9 (yes all those other times Nami and Vivi were in those tight tops I didn't pay much attention). Didn't matter anyway because the Nami/Kalifa fight would have opened anyone's eyes (and I thought Kubo Tite was horny)

Finally, One Piece easily has the most emotional scenes out of the Shounen Trilogy. Whether it's making you roll on the floor ('Three Swords', 'Umm that's not an insult', 'Four swords') or making us grab the tissue box (Pell's flashback and the Usopp/Luffy fight made a tear roll down my eye), One Piece has the rest beat. I mean I originally though Naruto was funny in the humour department but then I picked up Bleach and that was at least five times funnier then I pick up One Piece and I'm laughing every time Luffy or Usopp open their mouths

Oh One Piece also has Zoro/Mihawk/Ace/Smoker, some of the awesomest manga guys around

In the end, One Piece > Bleach > Naruto

Tags:
  2. geG Very Rude

Personally, I can't stand looking at the One Piece manga. The anime is great, but I've tried reading the manga and it's just strange. Oda tends to pack a lot of dialogue and scenes into one page by making everything really small so that it's hard to understand what's going on at times. The action scenes are even worse in terms of being able to understand what's going on. I looked ahead to chapter 427 and the page where Luffy finishes off Lucci just looked like a big smudge of ink to me. I could make out some of Luffy's arms, but that's about it.

So yeah, I really prefer the OP anime to the OP manga. I'm surprised you were able to read it for 400+ chapters.

3. King Bookah Kiss my ring

@Kurosaki Isshin

A whole thread dedicated to bashing Naruto, How original. Seriously tho, Naruto has major issues with flashbacks, Naruto not learning anything new and Sakura being useless. I don't see Sakura as a major issue as I don't care for her. Also, Naruto is nothing like Goku except he's the main character. He's an underdog who is supposed to suck, Goku is just a powerful hard-working character. If anything Luffy is 100x more like Goku than Naruto. They have the same personality : "U hurt my friends, now I shall beat u." U think Luffy's the most original of the 2, hardly. Enel too, please (even tho Enel is pretty cool.) I can understand that u like One Piece better (me personally Naruto and One Piece are equal in my book) but use better examples than that. Also Pell was not emotional because we knew next to nothing about him, not only that but he came back after his supposed death from a bomb powerful enough to take the city out plus the Strawhats. How was the emotional when you negate it's purpose. Don't let my post fool u too much, as I enjoy One Piece, but I wish OPtards would stop using Naruto to make a point (Narutards included). But At least Narutards can praise their series without bashing another. Also, people need to get over this "emo" thing because life ain't all roses & candy. Again, u make some valid points but 70% of it was just pure fanboy bullshit.

Anyways, a positive note, how did the hell did u have the patience to sit through 400+ chapters?, I would've quit any manga a loooong time ago. :)

4. omg laser pew pew! is feeling greedy

That's because I've read all all the chapters out of the Shounen Trinity and One Piece is the best of the three. Naruto is the worst really

Well it's more of a English technique attempting humour (which I clearly failed). Naruto is my fav Naruto character while Sakura is in the top 10

I meant in the sense they both have ridiculous powerups now (ss1/2/3/4, kyuubi tails 1/2/3/4)

Yes but Luffy is funny and has a awesome brother

Enel was cool because until Luffy fights him, he was basically The badguy. He has attacks that can take out Zoro with one hit and even if you mange to kill him, he restarts his heart

He is also based off Eminem in appearence, that's awesome in my books

I'm perfectly aware that he is truly alive and kicking (Oda's main problem is actually killing characters) but the thing is back then I thought he had truly died and I thought that was pretty heroic (especially how it's juxtaposed with his flashback)

I was a Narutard when I first came here but it's boring now and lacks the 'Oomph' of when I first started reading it

Easy

Personally I prefer reading than watching unless it's for a big fight

5. donkee Member

I just believe OP is aimed at a more mature crowd. Kishi's still an amazing mangaka, I cant say one is better than the other. We're all in agreement that all filler sucks.

6. Nice Gai Black Kamina

I have to admit when the One Piece Manga hit Water 7 it got really awesome. Thats the only part of the Manga I like. The series is better but the Water 7 is better in the Manga due to they get right to the point instead of drowning it out like in the show.

7. geG Very Rude

Nuh-uh, Naruto and One Piece are aimed at the same age group in Japan. I think Bleach is the only one of the "Holy Shounen Trinity" aimed at older teens.

8. Futagokage Runaway Kage

I am glad you like it but remember, all is in the eye of the beholder, i would be very angry If someone says

" I read One piece and I hate it, it's just the story of a dumb that all time says I gonna be the Kaizoku Ou, and have one of the most ridiculous powers, be Rubber".

I know I only write a fool idea, but i think that the fact that OP is good, reduce Naruto, because they are too diferent to be compared, and because I am sooooo Bored here there are:

[
    The 10 reasons because you cannot compare One Piece and Naruto.
    Or Why i do not like this kind of threats.​

1) They are from different kind: Naruto is a long story focused on a goal, this is the end of Orochimaru and the Akatsuki, once this are done, Naruto is finished. One Piece is about becoming the Kaizoku Ou, but in this story, there is no a "way" to became one, so is more the adventures of the Straw hat pirates around the world, as they fullfill their dreams.

2) Villians: Without the fillers, the bad guys style is different, In Naruto they are more evil, serious type, with a goal in mind and in many cases little concern about Naruto. In One Piece there is a big number of villians, because it changes in every arc, so there are many that are funny, evil or just plain rare.

3) The Good Guys: Naruto isn't focused in many characters, there are friends of Naruto that their past is not revealed yet, or that does not need a ver exciting one (Sakura). OP is very focused in the small main characters crew, and open a door for the friends they hel in their path, all past are revelead and all have a goal (a different goal).

4) Abilities: In Naruto, all characters can become equally strong, but you need training, all are ninjas and those who aren't do not stand a chance. In OP many of the strongets enemies need the Akuma no ai to give them power, who usually are very strange, but nevertheless strong.

5)Pairing: In Naruto, there is a big number of female characters, that make the possibilities of a love story big (This attracts some fans, you like it or not). In One Piece the romance is (mostly) used as a comic relief than a story element.

6) Naruto vs Luffy: They are the main characters of their story, even as Luffy suffer a less, he was a happy child, Naruto wasn't. Naruto is Hyperactive, a little dense, Luffy is very optimist, funny and his way of think is very strange. They have a 10% common things.

7) The Fights: Even the duration of the fight and their style differs, In Naruto fight tend to be dramatic (more in part II) and very tactical, the style of every character is a factor. In OP most of the fight have comic issues in then, and most character fight their way head on (all fight, even Usopp and Nami that are aware of their "handicap".

8)Rivalry: I Naruto, the rivalry is an aspect that is always there, Naruto-Sasuke being the most important, this give a flavour to Naruto, and make possible some kind of situation. In OP Luffy do not have any rivalry, which make him focused in other aspects as the friendship.

9) Friendship: The Nakama spirit in One Piece is more Important that the one in Naruto, In Naruto only some teams feel like a family (if any) and in One Piece the friendship among the crew is a plot point that define the manga. The situation in which you should place all the resposability in your friends are grater in Naruto that in OP.

10) Reality Check: Even as both are High Fantasy setting, were anything is possible. In Naruto they feel a little more realistic, this could be beacuse the draw (The Naruto's whiskers are in not way Usopp's nose), but it include the world as well, In One Piece the Sea Kings, The Elbaf Kingdom and the merman became the series a little more fantastic, which of course chance the feel.

Which are better???
    None, is a matter of taste, read both and decide by yourself, but even if you like Naruto more than One Piece, One Piece became a bad series, and if you prefer One piece, good for you, but that does not for that Naruto became a "trash" manga.

9. Woofie Coordinator

Exactly. They're quite different series, and definitely have different aspects they focus more on. It's very easy to write a long list of reasons why One Piece is better than Naruto, but it's just as easy to write a long list of reasons Naruto is better than OP. Personally, I think they're roughly as good as each other in the things they focus on, but I prefer the things Naruto focuses on, so I prefer Naruto. I still think One Piece is great though.

Looking at it objectively, Bleach always seemed the weakest of the three to me, even though I actually enjoy it more than One Piece. But I'm sure plenty of people disagree with that too.

Still, more on topic, it's always good to see someone converted like this. :p I think almost everyone was reluctant about One Piece before they gave it a try - it does look stupid. >_>; But once people are convinced to watch a few episodes or read a few chapters, they almost always like it. I definitely thought I'd hate it when I first saw the art a long time ago, and it took me many years to overcome that and give it a go. xD

10. Broleta Well-Known Member

This thread wins the prize :D
    I agree with every single thing you said in your initial post.

11. Molekage I live!...? Maybe.

congrats isshin! :hi5

also, there is no shame in using naruto as a measuring stick.

12. Wrathchild ALPHA AS FUCK

I agree with your Kalifa/Nami fight comment. The best fight in OP, imo.:drool

13. Hansel i am the weapon

I just finished up to 428 yesterday and I almost completely agree with the topic creator.

The one thing that makes OP especially better than the other two in my opinion is that the humor is always present. It seems like Naruto quit in the laugh department a long time ago, and Bleach has a few funny moments here and there, but neither compare to One Piece.

14. shady0008 Ore wa usoppu

so where do u obtain the One Piece Mangas?

anyone got links (if it isnt free dont bother)

oh and yeh nice arguments by Kurosaki Isshin and Futogakage

15. Nice Gai Black Kamina

Link removed
    You dont have to download them they have a viewer on the page. You will have to sign after reading so many chapters. Make sure you have a hotmail account or NET Passport.

16. Suzumebachi ReSpekt

OMG, watch movie 7.

17. Nice Gai Black Kamina

Movie 7 Nami WTF thats all she was good for.

18. Hansel i am the weapon

if you use irc, go to null's channel on irchighway. otherwise you can get most of it from torrents.

19. GPM Hacker Kat

It's all a matter of taste. It's best not to say something like "This is better than that", rather say "I like this better than that." Well I read both the Naruto and One Piece mangas in record time, and the anime's as well. I prefer OP for its humor and the Nakama emotions. The fact is, i'll probably stick with both until they're finally over.

20. Slips Fuck off

Welcome aboard. Twas a nice read.

You think Naruto is the worst of the 3 eh cant say I dont agree with you. Naruto has a anoyying habbit of boring me to tears. Anime and manga alike

21. Bananna why do my pics shrink? DDD:

Echoing a lot of other people, I completely agree with the original post; I can't read Naruto or Bleach in the same light after getting through OP - yes, it's not as deep or symbolic or anything as the other two in the Trinity, but it's so fun and it never takes itself too seriously and Luffy is awesome and askhdsgg.

Futagokage, I agree with your points as well except for 5 and 9. One Piece has a LOT of pairing opportunities, but the fandom is much smaller (and saner in general although that's probably due to the lack of participants). Oda has specifically stated that he's not going to do any romance. This is actually a good thing if you look at the pairing wars going on in the Harry Potter/Naruto fandoms. And 9 - I just disagree; OP's teamwork feels much more solid than Naruto's, even if the situations are less threatening. (But I still bit my lip and cringed at the latest chapters.) With 10, well, One Piece would just not WORK in a realistic style.

22. Supa Swag Active Member

That and the rest of your reasons are exactly how I felt about OP.

23. geG Very Rude

That certainly doesn't make you sound like a stuck up OPtard, no.

24. Masaki Mugiwara Kaizoku

Followed by 10 comparisons between OP and Naruto.

25. Snakety69 Ding! Check Please

I remember when I first heard of an saw One Piece. I thought it was the stupidest piece of shit in the anime/manga universe.

But when the fillers started, and I got sick of only waiting for a Naruto chapter every week, I thought I'd give it a chance. Boy am I glad I did. I don't like it as much as Naruto, but it's right up there with Bleach imo.

26. lo0p Bounce with me

Looks like Naruto fillers were good for something after all. They made a lot of us look into other animes like One Piece. I'm just worried about the new OP time slot because some people are saying it might become more censored.

27. LordSpark Oh NO! ROBOTS!

God, not this shit again. Just once I'd like to see a OP fan talk about how much they like OP without dissing Naruto. Is it even possible? I'm starting to think it's required.

Here's a thought people, if OP is as trully good as you beleive it to be, why don't you let it stand on it's own merits rather than dis other things that are not OP while praising the flawless diamond that is OP.

Or is it that you're not comfident enough that OP is good enough to attract attention without first trying to downgrade other, more popular entertainment?

I can promise you that if you would stop alienating every fan of Naruto, or whatnot by immediantly claiming that OP makes it look like shit you would find maybe some more people that might decide to watch it. When the first thing you do is insult their tastes and claim it's inferior, all you've done is set them against you and created a difficult to close gap.

Maybe if you would follow this advice you could get OP anime out of the 20,000 download range it's stuck in and into the 250,000 to 300,000 download range that Naruto and Bleach currently enjoy.

.............or by all means, insult, degrade, and bash away to your hearts content. It's helped OP so much up till now hasn't it.

28. omg laser pew pew! is feeling greedy

@LordSpark

You are wrong. I don't watch any of them, I read them all, I'm up to date with all three mangas so I think I at least have the grounds for some opinion

Also One Piece is the most popular manga in the world right now. Just because of some downloads here doesn't change the raging fanbase in Japan

Also One Piece IS better than Naruto and I'm not talking about fillers but then it's my taste

Also could you point out where I said people that follow Naruto/Bleach are inferior? I must have missed that

29. Tsuuga Haunghted.

The only reason One Piece isn't as popular here is because of awareness. Most people don't know that the general concensus of the show is overwhelmingly positive. Especially since the dub we have here is a terrible representation of the original source.

Even though you don't like it, you can't discount its popularity in Japan, where its 23rd volume is the second-best selling novel of all time there (behind the latest Harry Potter), selling 2.52 million copies. One Piece is very mainstream there, and our Naruto and Bleach-watching population around the world (250,000 to 300,000, you say?) is paltry compared to the numbers in Japan. Do you honestly think there are more Naruto and Bleach watchers outside of Japan than in it?

.............but by all means, insult, degrade, and bash away to your heart's content. It's certainly changing a lot of OP fans' opinions.

30. Futagokage Runaway Kage

But Of course, I would be Lying if I said I do not like OP; Is Great, what I try to point Out with my "comparison" Is that the elements they defer are enough to make them in different league.

If Isshin prefer OP over any other manga, not just Naruto, fine, OP give to Isshin something that others do not, and is about Taste.

If I differ your opinion, that my problem, In terms of likes and dislikes, no one is wrong, or all of we are wrong.