1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Jutsu Types and "That Jutsu"

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Wrath, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Wrath Mourning

I was thinking about the different types of jutsu that there are and the types that Naruto knows, and then how this relates to ?that jutsu?.

It should be obvious to everyone that there are a wide variety of types of jutsu in the Narutoverse. These include: clone, prison, stealth etc.

Now Naruto preskip knew the Kage Bunshin (clone), the Frog Summon (summon) and the Rasengan (short range finisher). He had obvious gaps in the other areas.

Postskip the only new jutsu we have seen from him is the Oodama Rasengan, which is again a short-range finishing technique. The OR seems to be designed to do internal damage while the ordinary Rasengan does external.

Now since Naruto has these two techniques as his short-range finishers, it is highly unlikely that ?that jutsu? belongs to the same category.

What I propose to do is to try and narrow down the possibilities of what ?that jutsu? could be by looking at the different types of jutsus Naruto can or has learned.

I?m also going to explain why I don?t believe that the common theory of it being related to the Kyuubi is right.

To begin, I believe that Naruto created the jutsu himself. During the timeskip we were shown the Kakashi Gaiden where Kakashi unveiled his Chidori for the first time and was admonished by the Fourth because it was incomplete. He warned Kakashi not to use it again. I believe that this is a similar situation. Also the look on Naruto?s face when he talked to Jiraiya definitely made it look like it was something he was proud of.

The other possibility for why Naruto was told not to use it is that it is too dangerous ? either to himself or to others. That of course ties in with the notion of it being incomplete. However Naruto is unlikely to need to be reminded not to use a jutsu which is dangerous to his comrades.

Why it isn?t a Kyuubi Jutsu

Essentially there are three reasons why I don?t think it?s a Kyuubi Jutsu (henceforth shortened to Bijutsu)

1)Naruto already has several Bijutsu. These include his regenerative abilities, the chakra roar, the chakra armour and of course the Kyuubi chakra itself. All of these powers have come naturally to him, suggesting that Bijutsu don?t need to be learned or developed.
    2)Jiraiya warned Naruto not to use it. If the Bijutsu in question had any chance of releasing the Kyuubi, as many believe, then Naruto would not need to be reminded not to use it. In fact Naruto likely would never have developed it, and neither would Jiraiya have helped him learn it.
    3)Frankly, it?s lame. It makes Naruto look like the only good thing about him is the Kyuubi and not his own powers and abilities. This jutsu is certain to be powerful and useful, though either dangerous or incomplete, and if Naruto was the one who created it then it reinforces the new image of him as a skilled ninja in his own right. If Naruto?s new trump card is just the same as his old one then nothing has changed.

I?m now going to go over types of jutsus.

Offensive Jutsus

One of the most common jutsu types shown. These range from fireballs to sword techniques to crushing people with sand and so on.

The only direct offensive technique Naruto knew preskip was the Rasengan. He also made use of standard ninja weaponry, Kage Bunshin manoeuvres and chakra-based strength.

Postskip he presumably knows more, but the only one we have seen is the Oodama Rasengan, which falls into the same category as the Rasengan as a short-range finishing attack. These are techniques designed to finish off an opponent in one hit. Other examples are the Chidori and the Tsukiyomi.

We can therefore logically assume that the new jutsu is neither one to enhance his strength or another finishing move, because it would be redundant.

So what other forms of offensive jutsus are there?

We have Tai rather than Nin, but Naruto is unlikely to have created a Taijutsu since he is much more talented in the area of Nin. Taijutsus obviously tend to be short range as well, so these would most likely be redundant.

Now there are ranged jutsus such as Katons and other elemental attacks. These are a strong possibility because at present Naruto has not demonstrated long-range capabilities, so this would fill a necessary gap in his skills. Of course Naruto will likely have learned some elemental long-range attacks during the skip, but this would be a special one rather than basic.

The only true ranged attack Naruto had preskip was his Bijutsu chakra claw, which worked at a medium distance but required entering Kyuubi mode.

Offensive moves are flashier and therefore more likely by narrative laws to be ?that jutsu?. Also since Naruto will undoubtedly end up using it as a trump card it would make sense if ?that jutsu? were one. But it would have to be ranged rather than something like the Rasengan.

Clone Jutsus

Obviously these are techniques like the Kage Bunshin, Mizu Bunshin etc. Also obvious is that Naruto is a master of the KB already, which makes ?that jutsu? being a clone technique simultaneously more and less likely.

On one hand, Naruto already has the KB and thus doesn?t need another technique that does the same thing. But OTOH, this means that if Naruto created an improved form of the KB that his combat style wouldn?t have to change to incorporate it. Also since Naruto is a master of the KB he would be more likely to know it well enough to improve it.

Prison Jutsus

These are jutsus such as the water prison, the toad stomach move used by Jiraiya, the ice mirrors etc.

The closest Naruto has to a prison jutsu so far is using the chakra claw to hold on to someone. This is really only a prison jutsu if you push the definition. Naruto is lacking something in this area. However, if he has learned one it is most likely to be the same as Jiraiya?s, and so he wouldn?t have needed to create his own.

The exception to that would be that we know Itachi is quite possibly the only one capable of escaping the toad stomach, so since Naruto was training to have to fight Itachi at some point then he might have needed to create something that could hold him. However this is unlikely.

Something else that could be considered a prison tech would be the swamp technique Jiraiya used, and Naruto has probably learned that.

Defensive Jutsus

The only things which Naruto knew preskip which could be called defensive jutsus were both Bijutsus ? regeneration and the chakra roar. It?s therefore likely that Naruto has learned some that he can use at all times.

Most likely he will have learned the spines of the underworld technique Jiraiya used which elongates his hair and turns it into sharp spines to hurt an attacker. Whether this is really suitable for Naruto considering the relative shortness of his hair compared to Jiraiya is another matter, so it?s possible that his new jutsu is defensive in nature.

This could be revealed when whoever unleashes an incrediblky powerful attack that?s supposed to kill the heroes, only to learn that Naruto has used his super shield jutsu to save them all. This makes it a real possibility, since it would not be redundant and it could be dramatically revealed.

Travel Jutsus

These are jutsus that, obviously, allow you to travel from one point to another. Since Naruto is not a speed-type he will need some other way of getting around. Most likely he will learn the Hiraishin for obvious reasons.

It is possible though that it is another form of travel jutsu. We have seen Kakashi and Kisame use moves to travel through the ground at high speed and Deidara and Gaara use techniques to allow them to fly. ?That jutsu? could be something to let Naruto fly or pass through matter and the Hiraishin would still be useful to him.

Summon Jutsus

These are not simple summons but specific summon techniques such as the Earth Tracking Fang used by Kakashi or Temari?s weasel wide-radius destructive tech. Summons with specific purposes, rather than simply summoning an animal.

Now this could be ?that jutsu?, but it?s not going to be a frog summon technique if it is, since Jiraiya will have taught those to Naruto. It is possible that Naruto has signed a contract with another type of creature or created a bizarre form of summoning jutsu like the Edo Tensei or that gate summon. Seems unlikely however, since that would be overloading Naruto with summons.

Seal Jutsus

Now Jiraiya and the Fourth were both a master of sealing jutsus, as shown by how Jiraiya sealed up the Amaterasu and the Fourth sealed the Kyuubi. Orochimaru was capable of using the 5 Element Seal in combat on Naruto, and he is not as good as Jiraiya. If Jiraiya has taught Naruto sealing techniques then it?s possible that Naruto created his own.

However the likelihood of Naruto being a master of seal jutsus to the extent of being able to create his own, incomplete or not, is low. Especially since he didn?t seem to know what the 5 part seal on the cave was.

Stealth/Spying Jutsus

I?ve grouped these two together because they?re diametrically opposed. Stealth jutsus are for hiding and spying jutsus for revealing.

You could class the Henge, which Naruto is most skilled at, as a stealth jutsu since it allows one to transform your shape into almost anything.

Other stealth jutsus are those to allow one to hide inside an element as the Demon Brothers did or ones to make you invisible like in the Gaiden. Now Naruto is possibly the least stealthy character in the series, so on the one hand a stealth jutsu seems unlikely? OTOH he is also the number one surprising ninja, and what better way to surprise someone than from coming out of nowhere?

Spying jutsus Naruto was completely without preskip. He may now be able to use frogs to spy or possibly have other techniques, we don?t know. The likelihood of ?that jutsu? being one is low because it?s simply not flashy enough.

Tags:
  2. TEK Akatsuki

Wow. You did a lot of thinking on this one. I think that the so called "that jutsu" has to be something flashy and something like spying or something weak. I think it'll be a jutsu that puts him on the verge of death upon using it.

BTW, I'm giving you a rep for your post. Good job on organizing it really well too.

3. Wrath Mourning

DON'T DELETE THIS AS A DOUBLE POST, I HIT THE CHARACTER LIMIT.

I'm not trying to say it's one thing or another specifically, just listing different types of jutsus to show what it could possibly be and foster some creativity in theories beyond "a new type of Rasengan" and "unsealing the Kyuubi" which have popped up countless times.

I'll probably add to this later, but I hit the character limit..

4. TEK Akatsuki

You don't have to worry about it. I entered my post before yours so you don't have to worry about it being a double post.

5. Wrath Mourning

Yeah... I didn't realise someone would respond so quickly.

6. Pro /(>

Well you listed alot of jutsus types but you didnt talk much about why Jiraiya wouldnt want naruto to use them. The only time when naruto hurt himself is when he went kyuubi level 2 so for now I think its some sort of jutsu that involves kyuubi.

For now all we know about "that jutsu" is:

-Jiraiya doesnt want naruto to use it.
    -Naruto hesitated after he heard Jiraiya's advice. Meaning even naruto himself knows how dangerous this jutsu is.

Some of the jutsu types you listed doesnt make sense if you apply the above facts to them. Like travel, clone, and stealth.

7. Umbra Class: Archer

Very well thought out indeed. I very much liked the breakdown of jutsu types.

My thought on the matter is its likely some form of technique to weaken the kyuubi seal momentarilly. In my mind its the only thing potentially dangerous enough, I suppose, however, that the forbidden technique could be something that drains him so throughly it risks the kyuubi seal breacking and otherwise leaves him to be killed if it fails to defeat opponent.

One thought regarding summons is that he has also signed the fox (or i guess any other animal) scroll. The leader of this scroll could be like Manda and far too dangerous to summon.

Another is that he has something like a self-destruct chakra explosion. Naruto has enough chakra that if he could detonate it the damage would be massive, and with kyyubi healing Naruto could survive, but would be wide open if he fails.

A draining Long range would be nice solutin though.

I do hope in the upcoming battles we see he has learned numerous jutsus from jiraiya as well as developed a more defined taijutsu style.

8. Katara The Forgotten One

You've got a nice list there and I applaud you for the time and effort you put into this post. And I agree with you that if it were another Kyuubi move, then it would make Naruto look like he can't do anything without it. Just like with Gaara and his sand, we also want Naruto to do something great without resorting to that hidden power.

It could be another offensive and seeing that Naruto doesn't seem to be able to use/learn techniques that require small amounts of chakra (:smile-big He would always either summon Gamakichi or Gamabunta and nothing in between!), the possibility that it's big and devastating to his own health/chakra amount (like frog summoning used to be) is possible.

As for what he might've learned over the past 2.5 years, what you've posted are all great points. Some long range attack that would keep him stationary for too long is a great possibility. With power but a weakness, it's very possible that Jiraiya would warn against it.

However, there are some points which I kinda disagree with you on.

Stealth techniques are most likely out of the question for Naruto's new jutsu. He's never been one for quietude anyway; and if it made him inconspicuous, why not use it? It could only help him.

Same with defense. There's no reason to hold back on a defensive move if he were trying to save his and his companions' lives, right? Now, unless you mean the defense is so powerful that he would hurt himself, then I can't disagree. If anything, I totally believe that the jutsu is being saved up for a last resort in defending Sasuke/Sakura in his final battle.

As for #2 on why it's not Kyuubi-related, Jiraiya did warn him about it, but he also knew that Naruto knew. Naruto didn't have to be warned about it. It was a simple reminder. And with that serious look on Naruto's face, he knows the consequences and/or danger of it. So the likelihood of "that jutsu" being Kyuubi-related is still high.

9. knowledge New Member

i cant believe you typed all of that....

=[

10. Anazuraion Member

i kinda hope im wrong but i just assumed "that jutsu" was shiiki fuujin sorry if i spelled it wrong

but i figure in the end naruto will be decent at illusions though not really a master and wont use them much i figure he is more of a solid tank with overwhelming power and will go taijutsu and ninjutsu if you look at it he and sasuke kinda mirror itachi kisame at least i think they do

11. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

Great list Wrath. Where do you come up with this stuff? :laugh

I agree with everything you said basically.

12. Wrath Mourning

I like to think. I spend lots of time thinking, that's all.

I'll be posting a continuation of this line of thought later sometime... I'm pretty tired and I keep spelling stuff wrong at the moment.

13. Violence Fight LARIAAAAATOOOOO~~~~!!!

wrath is seriously one of my new favorite posters around here. always has decent views and backs them up with strong logical evidence. This post is fan-fn'-tastic. Great job compiling everything together and logically picking through the possibilities of what it "Could" or "Couldn't" be.

Personally, judging from naruto's style, is offense. As Jiraiya said, he has so much chakra that he can just use raw power, since it'll take him awhile to run out. I'd say its not the Oodama obviously, and probably not another rasengan variation. I'd put my money on some insane technique he developed perhaps involving concepts from the jutsu he does know. Naruto is a master of using what is at hand in a creative way. While hes not too much on book smarts, he's a quick and clever thinker who likes to think WAAAAAY outside the box. So him taking the technique he has, and applying concepts in a different way is certainly very plausible. As to what he could come up with, the kid is rediculously suprising, so it could be anything.

14. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

I hope you continue your theories and such. Id like to hear more of what you think about this. Later on ill give my opinions in a further detailed post.

15. Learnedhand Adjucator

yeah if he's anything like the 4th its likely going to be summoning something similar to the god of death i.e. could be summoning a god that will require him to surrender some of his life force. or since the author modeled naruto somewhat off of goku of dbz it a energy blast (just kidding).

16. Shiron BOING!!!

Your theory raises a certain question in my mind... If the jutsu isn't Kyuubi related, then what kind of jutsu would Naruto develop (by himself) that would be so dangerous that Jiraiya decided to give Naruto a reminder about not using it? I find it highly unlikely that Jiraiya would teach Naruto something so dangerous, yet I find it equally unlikely that Naruto, in just those 2.5 years of training, could develop that dangerous of a technique. Naruto has made some advances since the end of part 1, but I don't think Naruto could have developed all the way to a point where he created a super-powerful jutsu. I could be wrong, but as I see it, there are only two ways Naruto could have learned a technique that dangerous:
    1.)The Kyuubi helped Naruto develop it, while making Naruto have complete trust in him. It took a powerful lesson from Jiraiya to finally make Naruto see through the lies Kyuubi told Naruto as he was helping him develop the technique.
    2.)Naruto met somebody while he was training (and Jiraiya was "researching") and for whatever reason (ex. reward for help) that person helped Naruto develop the technique (To do this,(s)he also probably gained Naruto's trust through some means). Jiraiya examined that technique. He then scolded Naruto and told him not to believe whatever that person told him and that that person was evil for teaching Naruto the technique. After listening to Jiraiya's lesson, Naruto too saw how that person was evil and how he shouldn't have let that person teach him that technique.

Well, that's my two cents on this. I'm curious as to what yours are, Wrath.

17. SpotTheCat Member

what if it is a trumph card jutsu, and because he is working around 3 sharingan users the reason jiraiya doesn't want him to use it is because it will be copied.

18. GRyDLOCK New Member

That's a badass report. Nice

19. JayG Konoha's Beautiful Green Beast

I'm gonna have to agree that it will be an offensive jutsu. Defense, control, etc just aren't his style.

While I'm hoping that it isn't Kyuubi related, there's a very good chance that it just might be.

Btw, here's a jutsu that a friend of mine has been dying for Naruto to learn...Itachi's Exploding Bunshin.

It utilizes Kage Bunshin, which Naruto is very adept in using. And with his enormous chakra, if he can make even 5 of those bunshins explode, it would make for a very devastating technique.

20. Kyuubi Naruto Hounds of Justice

Bakuhatsu Bushin? Yeah but not right now I dont think.

Possibly its an offensive jutsu with a good effect.

21. TEK Akatsuki

I also agree that his move will be offensive. I don't think his move will be Kyuubi related. However, in order to do the move, I think he'll require the Kyuubi's chakra. All I know is that whatever the move is, it has to be super awesome and super powerful.

22. Violence Fight LARIAAAAATOOOOO~~~~!!!

like nuclear weapon powerful. Like he summons a massive portrait of micheal jackson's new face and it melts the surrounding landscape for miles or something.

On topic: we've atleast established that its going to be offensive. I'm still hoping its not a Kyuubi related jutsu, but it would still be cool either way.

23. stormrunner Wants a Custom Title

Gotta say, i think it is a travel jutsu like the one that the 4th used or somewhere along that direction

24. rasengan 88 New Member

Good post Wrath.I agree with you on everything besides those stealth, defense.It's just not his style.I do hope though that it isn't kyuubi related.

25. UrKa i want a red kamel....

really great post wrath!! :thumbs !!
    i agree with most ppl that it would be a offensive jutsu, but to think about it, it would be posibly that its a jutsu to counter in someway the sharingan, after all, jiraya took him to the trip to train him to fight itachi and the rest of akatsuki, jiraya knew that one of his opponent would be itachi, as we seen in the flasback of the genjutsu train, i think it would be probably an offensive jutsu to fight itachi, but to be really dangerous to the point to jiraya to told him to not to use it, maybe is still incomplete....
    i hope that naruto has bursted up his other jutsu, just like the rasengan (OR now)..
    anyway, great post! im gonna rep u for this! :p

26. Guillermo I wear my sunglasses at night

I agree. I think Naruto created an incomplete jutsu like Kakashi did. Naruto creted it, and Jiraya told him that it was incomplete. I don't think it is Kyuubi related, but i think that it uses the Kyuubi chakra, because that is his biggest strength. I din't think it's related to any of his other jutus, because any time anyone says "that" jutsu, it's usually a brand new jutsu that we've never seen before.

27. TenshiOni Active Member

I saved one of Wrath's excellent posts from another thread before it was trashzored.

28. Duttyman Momochi Mist and Sand Demon

alright here i go

On to the That jutsu rant

Alrigth wrath explored many possibilities some of which we can deduct that jutsu would not be.

The defensive jutsu are very unlikely. jiraiya would not tell him to not use a jutsu if it could help team mates or shield someone or the defensive jutsu would have to be very destructive.

The kakashi gaiden was obviously written for a reason.. it has to be foreshadowing something. The jutsu is gonna be a jutsu created by naruto am sure of that. the look on his face when he wanted to use it shows that it was something he put alot of time into. If took yondiame 3 years to perfect the rasengan and create it it would not surprise that within 2.5 years naruto could create an incomplete jutsu. I dont think its incompleteness has to do with the lack of something that naruto doesnt posses ie kakashi needing the sharingan to properly use the raikiri.

I do beleive it involves kyuubi in some way but i do not know in what degree it could be a jutsu that requires its vast amount of chakra.

When we see that jutsu its gonna cause someone to get hurt i beleive kakashi is gonna get hurt ( i have my reason for pointing specifically to kakashi)

The jutsu is offensive in nature. What am wondering if it involves a kage bushin i do doubt it since this jutsu is gonna be the jutsu to show naruto's growth and to show that it is still incomplete in nature.

Another factor we have to keep in my mind is naruto's inability to keep his emotions properly in check and that is where the incompleteness of the jutsu also comes into play

its obvious that narutos hightend emotional state increases his power and also his stubbornness. Not only has his hightend state increased his power many times it has also been the key to the power of kyuubi. The way the manga is progressing its clear that its leading to a bad situation for narutos mental state. capture of gaara the extraction of shukaku and the desecration of gaara's lifeless body.

Naruto ckenching his stomach at the mention of an extraction of kyuubi does throw a kink in it not being a bijutsu.. it seems to me he has developed a bond with kyuubi wether kyuubi is involved in the jutsu is unlikely

damn i lost my train of thought hahahaha now am back to square 1 aaaagggghhhhh i one again managed to clear up nothing hahahaha

29. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

From what i understand Naruto should atleast have the following jutsus since Jiraiya showed it too us:
    Gamaguchi Shibari
    Gamayu Endan
    Hari Jizou
    Kuchiyose Yatai Kuzushi
    Doton Yomi Numa
    Gogyou Kaiin

As for the rest:
    Given my analysis of Jiraiya he is a Fire/Earth Elemental user overall and Toad user is specialty and he is also the master of Fuuinjutsus (higher then Tsunade and Orochimaru).

So with that in mind Naruto will be similar or near to anything related to those types of Jutsus along with his current sets of moves (Uzumaki Naruto Techniques ).

30. Wrath Mourning

First, two jutsu categories that I couldn?t include because I hit the character limit in the first post, then a discussion about possible weaknesses.

Legendary Weapons

These aren?t jutsus specifically, but thus far in the series we have seen three confirmed legendary weapons ? the Samehada, the Kusanagi and the staff that Enma transformed into. There are likely to be more, and quite probably Naruto will eventually have one of some sort.

It?s possible that Naruto has learned to access one somehow and that he is simply not skilled with it yet, but the odds of it being ?that jutsu? are very low. Still worth considering though.

The most likely legendary weapon for Naruto will be the huge brush featured in the artbook and other images, which will tie in to his future mastery of seal jutsus.

Specialized Jutsus

These are, frankly, weird jutsus that don?t easily fall into any other category. The Aikimichi Multi-Size, Sakon/Ukon?s merging technique, shapeshifting jutsus, etc.

I didn?t mention these before because? well? it?s nearly impossible to apply logic to them, ?cause they don?t really fit into any categories. It could be one of these, but we?d never be able to predict it. Of course the unpredictability would make them just Naruto?s style.

Jutsu Weaknesses

As I mentioned before, I believe that the problem with this jutsu is that it is incomplete, just like the Chidori once was.

We were shown the story of how Kakashi developed and perfected the Chidori in the Gaiden, and then almost immediately afterwards we learn that Naruto has created a new jutsu which is unsafe for use, just like the Chidori was.

The reason why the Chidori was incomplete was because the speed of it is too high and the movement too predictable for you to reliably avoid the counter of the opponent unless you have the Sharingan (or something similar).

What I?m going to do with this section is detail other potential weaknesses for ?that jutsu?.

1) Dangerous: The jutsu is so powerful that it poses serious risk to Naruto simply using it. The jutsu could involve flame manipulation, for example, but no protection for Naruto from those flames. Of course we all know that Naruto heals really well, so this is probably not it.
    2) Dangerous to others: While Naruto is not at risk, the jutsu is either so powerful that it could hurt allies or Naruto has an inability to accurately control its power, putting anyone and anything in harm?s way.
    3) Limited movements: While using the jutsu Naruto?s movements are limited in some way. This could include having to move in a straight line, being unable to leave a certain area or not being able to move at all.
    4) Gamble: The jutsu could be so powerful that it uses a high percentage of Naruto?s chakra like the Shouten no Jutsu for Akataski. Thus if Naruto is unable to perform and apply it correctly he will have wasted a chunk of his power.
    5) Sealed attribute: After the jutsu has been activated some aspect of Naruto?s powers or abilities is sealed. This could mean that, for example, his speed is reduced or that he loses the ability to perform other jutsus.
    6) Weak point: The jutsu currently has an obvious weak point to it that any decent ninja could exploit. This is along the lines of Itachi only being able to use the Tsukiyomi if you look in his eyes. Naruto might become invincible from the front but completely vulnerable from the back.
    7) Not mastered: Naruto could simply not have mastered the theory of the jutsu yet. He might lack the necessary training or skill to perform it properly, just like how he could not originally use the Rasengan without a Kage Bunshin helping, and thus it is easy for it to be countered.
    8) Conditional: Naruto can only perform the jutsu correctly if a special condition is reached. It could require Naruto to take a large amount of damage before using it, for example, and so letting someone do that to you would be the risk Jiraiya was warning against.

And so on. I?m sure everyone can think of their own if they give it a go.

Of course there?s no reason why it has to have just one weakness, because it could well have many.

Next time I?ll be coming up with some sample jutsus in the different categories to illustrate my points. And because it?s fun.