1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Kakashi vs Shikamaru in smarts...

Discussion in 'Naruto Battledome' started by Willy927, Sep 19, 2005.

Kakashi vs Shikamaru in smarts...

1. Shikamaru

56 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. Kakashi

52 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. Willy927

Who is the smarter Ninja?, in the Manga it was stated by Naruto : Kakashi is smarter than Shikamaru, also stated by Kakashi himself he is as cunning as Shikamaru, but Shikamaru shown us that he is the smartest Ninja so far. Kakashi shown some plans/tricks we've seen so far of him being smart, but...it's nothing compared to the things Shikamaru showed us...so the question is Who is the smarter Ninja?

Tags:
  2. Uchiha-Itachi648

Kakashi, he's got way more experience that he can apply to situations.

3. lwong81

kaka is by alot...maybe he was using an example that naruto can understand.

4. kapsi

Shikamaru was shown in an almost-macgyver situation (from a kunai, flashight and an explosive tag he created weapons of mass destruction) and Kakashi was tricked by Naruto. Do the math.

5. mgrace

Sorry I cant vote I think they have equal genius...

6. dangerousity

Kakashi has more experience to apply his intelligence on. Shiki has demonstrated smarts for his technique, his jutsu requires strategies to be effective therefore hes probably good at it. Its like asking, who is smarter, einstein or kasparov(chess exchamp), the chess player is smart for his own game and tactics. Naturally I think shiki is smarter but Kakashi have experienced more things therefore he has a better idea of what to do in a certain situation.

7. ShounenSuki

I think, at the moment, Kakashi is smarter, because he has much more experience. However, in the future, Shikamaru will become smarter.

8. Uchiha Chris

I think Kakashi. He has as stated much more experience and can think out a plan fast and execute it.
    Shikamaru uses alot of time to come up with something, but when he does its good.
    Shikamaru will indeed eventually surpass Kakashi in smarts, in my opinion.

9. lekki

I do recall actually calling Shikamaru by name when talking about battle tactics in chapter 274.

He said he's as smart as Shikamaru.

Shikamaru=Kakashi atleast, maybe smarter in one more year.

10. Anthriel

I doubt anyone can beat Shikamaru in raw IQ, and I'm quite sure Kishimoto will save the ridiculosly complicated plans for Shikamaru, but Kakashi is obviously way more experienced so he can probably apply his intelligence better. I doubt this factor will be seen in the series though.

11. superman_1

Kakashi is more smarter.....kakashi has years and years of experience and knows a great knowledge and stuff, etc......
    Spoiler: manga spoiler
    even mentioned by Naruto in part 2 of manga that kakashi is more smarter than shikamaru during that 2nd bell test....

12. Insipidipity

I think dangerousity and anthriel was were on.
    Shikamaru has the raw intelligence, so in "smarts" Shikamaru is superior, however, Kakashi has experience which translates to knowledge. Knowledge is to intelligence what a car is to a driver. Analogously, Shikamaru has natural talent, like a good driver, while Kakashi's knowledge and experience provides him with the tools to perform as well as Shikamaru but its more like his car has been suped up as opposed to him necessarily being a better driver. Don't take the analogy too literally because I'm relating driving skill to intelligence, not actual driving ability(which does take experience).

Kakashi has the ability to use tried and true methods while Shikamaru has to come up with relatively new ones on the fly. Like Anthriel said, it's hard to imagine anyone could beat Shikamaru in pure IQ because 200 is pretty much nearing the upper limits on human intelligence(I think thats like at least 3 standard devs away from normal intelligence)

13. green tea96

kakashi's smarter and had a lot more experience but i think shikamaru will surpass him in smarts later on

14. FitzChivalry

Experience will take this easily so it's Kakashi.

15. MarlboroShinobi

Let's keep in mind folks. Your comparing a teenager to a grown man. Wait till shikamaru is older..then he really will be the smartest ninja to ever grace Konoha.

16. Cholisose

Kakashi certainly showed us how much of a strategist he is.

Naruto: What do we do, Kakashi?
    Kakashi: I'm as cunning as Shikamaru... Give me a minute, and I'll formulate a way to kill Deidara. Let's see... he's a long-range fighter... I'll calculate the air density here... The wind factor... Akatsuki's motivations... Deidara's current status... His offensive and defensive methods... What I ate for breakfast..."
    Naruto: So?
    Kakashi: Hmm... I've got a plan! I'll blow Diedara up!"
    Naruto: Kakashi, you're a genius!"

I agree. Kakashi is the smarter of the two. Shikamaru would've just come up with some long-winded plan to try to make his shadow tricks more effective. Kakashi's plan is to the point.

17. Id

Well, shikamaru could prob lay a good battle plan. But Kak has in his world street, smarts, gut feeling, + experience. And it helps being well rounded in all areas to with a blood line limit. Basically he can apply what he know with more confidence instead of crying about getting hurt (yup shika is a cry baby in that sense.)

18. Soxfan17

i have to say Kakashi cuz of the experience. Give Shikamaru like 10 years or so and he should be better then Kakashi

19. MartialHorror

Both have equal intelligence.

I'd say Kakashi in the end though, being he's more experienced and can use it better

20. Gunshin

End of thread?

21. Insipidipity

Depends how you define intelligence. If you define it as how well you do in battle because of planning, then of course Kakashi, he has the experience, but if you define it as an innate trait(which most people can't raise through training) then Shikamaru has this in the bag. Your IQ doesn't grow because of experience.

22. Code

Shikamaru is smarter. I've seen Shikamaru use better strategies than someone like Kakashi. I don't see how experience should affect the intelligence of someone that much when they're both not children. I

Kabuto who is 7+ years younger than Kakashi, completely outsmarted him. Even Orochimaru is surprised at his intelligence and he's nearly 40 years older... Older != Smarter especially when the person you're comparing the older to is a genius. .

23. Odlam

Kakashi has all the experience over Shika - yes Shika is very smart, but hes not always going to be able to find a place to sit down and think in the middle of a battle like he did with Temari or Tayuya. Kakashi is a comparable genius that knows how to think on the fly without stopping to concentrate.

24. Cthulhu-versailles

WARNING THI8S POST WON'T BE CIVIL

Ahem

Shikamaru is smarter the kakashi....yet kakashi has more experience.. Ie life experience and battle experience....

Bottomline though is shikamaru is smarter

Um assume both kakashi and shika don't know how to play go and are taught how. They have 1 hour to pratice and then play each other, who wins... SHIKAMARU NO QUESTION. Seriously no one can match Shikamaru in raw Iq... My God look at
    Spoiler:
    kakashi Gaiden and just how foolishly he was thinking, his ideologies were all screwed up.

Shikamaru is just a believer of lazyness, yet he has never been
    Spoiler:
    confused as far as his ninjaness(lol what a word!) unlike kakashi was as a child.
    is concerned

conclusion in a battle scenrio the two of them are "supposedly even" according to kakashi VANITY.

In a non battle situation shikamaru> all except maybe kabuto

WARNING I LIED ABOUT THIS POST NO BEING CIVIL

25. Chatulio

kakashi is problably smarter but in the long run shika will be the best strategist

26. QBnoYouko

Definitely Kakashi. Shikamaru may be an intelligent stategist, but he's also lazy, and can't compete with Kakashi.

Spoiler:
    In chapter 246, Naruto says a lot of things about Kakashi's main points, including being more smarter than Shikamaru.

27. Gunshin

Who cares what Naruto says. Anyone can make a baseless comment. Fact is Kakashii has been outsmarted several times and we have never seen Shikamaru outsmarted. Jesus people, Kakashi was outsmarted by Naruto. He was outsmarted by Kabuto. He was outsmarted by Zabuza (put into the water prison). He was outsmarted by Haku.

28. Willy927

I know...wtf people voting Kakashi..., Shiki battles with pure smarts man...Kakashi got out smarted by Naruto, and Gunshin: Kakashi himself said he was as cunning as Shiki, what full of crap. WTF with the Kakashi Fanboyism, in the out come of battle, because of planning will oviously go to Shiki....Shiki is hella smart, Kakashi got outsmarted over and over and over again....i can believe Kish made Kakashi say he is as cunning as Shiki...maybe because to back up his DataBook...after all Kakashi was a Chuunin at 6, he must be smart to become Chuunin, but all the gaiden we've seen, Kakashi been pretty stupid. If Shikamaru has alittle more Chakra...he would own the crap out of CS 2 Tayayu. If Shiki has as much Chakra as Kakashi, he would freaking own...

29. Dark_wolf247

Well, Shikamaru has been proved as a genius, so I'm going to have to go with Shikamaru in this one. Of course, Kakashi does have more experience, but that's not what we're talking about, is it? Experience is different from raw smarts. :p

edit: Yup, you're right. Kakashi has been outsmarted by a lot of people. :laugh

30. kapsi

Also Kakashi has more jutsus, chakra, etc. so it's easier for him to come up with a plan than for Shikamaru who has two techniques.