1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Kakuzu's Animal

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by MasamuneX7, Oct 15, 2006.

1. MasamuneX7 Akatsuki Overlord

We are all somewhat familiar with the Akatsuki members resembling a sort of animal (Kisame being a shark and Sasori being a scorpion for example). There's been some confusion about Hidan's and Kakuzu's. TicoTico theorized that he was an elephant. When he first appeared, I was of the opinion that he was rather octopus or squid-like. However, I have realized what Kakuzu appears to be from what little we've seen of him.

He is a parasite. A nematode. A group of roundworms that live in aquatic environments (streams, ponds, rivers, lakes, oceans, WATERFALLS). Some species are parasitic and thrive in vast numbers within the host's body.

Many have theorized that his body is a jigsaw puzzled of body parts from ninjas he's killed in the past all stitched together by those black worm-like threads inside his body based on his ability to control individual "worms" and detach his hands from his arms, which are connected by these same "worms". His body seems to be full of these things. Some believe him to be a medical ninja. Either way, this is heavily suggestive of a parasitic theme to his character.

Theory: he exists in a symbiotic relationship with these "worms" inside his body. They feed off his nutrients or chakra while he benefits from the enhancements they give his body: self-repair, alteration of tissue material, super-strength, etc.

Tags:
  2. Cardboard Jewsuke Draffut

What is Itachi... or Hidan.... or Tobi...

They arn't all animals... And i still say Elephant. Those damn eyes.

3. MasamuneX7 Akatsuki Overlord

Translate the name "Itachi" into English and you'll know the answer.

Hidan, some think he's a praying mantis.

Tobi, it's far too early to tell. We haven't seen his fighting style, and we don't even know his origin.

The rest of the revealed Akatsuki members are obvious.

4. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

well Zetsu is a combination between those half black half white dudes from the original Star Trek and a Venus fly trap...not any animals. Hidan is more like the Grim Reaper...not an animal. With those extendo arms Kakuzu reminds me more of a tree or a vine than an animal. But he really looks like Scorpion or Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat with those eyes and that get up of his (covered mouth and head)

5. MasamuneX7 Akatsuki Overlord

Excuse me, CREATURE. You get the point. Zetsu is a venus flytrap. He's the only plant. The rest are animals.

6. MasamuneX7 Akatsuki Overlord

The eye of a fish with a parasite.

7. Yoshitsune Melamonochromatic

Again, they don't all need to have animal characteristics....
    if you're going to say that, why not give animal characteristics to EVERYONE in the Naruto world....>_>

8. Darkreapyr Darkreapyr 60Warrior Gorefiend

9. fukush Banned

Kisame does have shark theme, Sasori didnt look like a scorpoin.... His doll did.

Itachi dosnt look like a weasel at all.

10. Mouten one batch

So? Sasori translated means Scorpion, he's obviously based on that animal.

He is as weasel-like as a human can get.

11. MasamuneX7 Akatsuki Overlord

They don't have to look like it. They have characteristics of it.

Itachi uses hypnosis in the form of genjutsu. Weasels in mythology were tricksters believed to have hypnotic abilities and were a symbol of ill will.

Sasori's name means "scorpion." I don't know how you can deny his scorpion symbolism when he uses poison, name means scorpion, and his insignia (shown on the puppets that Kankurou uses) is a logo of a scorpion.

Hidan is the praying mantis. Hidan's carries a scythe (kama). Praying mantis is "kamakiri" in Japanese, named due to its scythe-like forelegs. In mythology, praying mantids were believed to be highly worshipful to God due to their prayer-like stance when they held their forelegs up. Need I mention what Hidan is like?

12. MasamuneX7 Akatsuki Overlord

Not everyone has an animal theme. It's just that Team Sarutobi (Sandaime + the Sannin) and Akatsuki have a VERY obvious theme going on.

13. FrostXian Messiah With An Attitude

Very nice observation (rather obvious but..), what do you think about Deidara, then?

14. MasamuneX7 Akatsuki Overlord

He is definitely a type of bird. His right eye resembles that of an eagle and he tends to travel around on various birds of prey. His left eye has a scope that gives him far sight, very much like the keen sight of raptors (hawks, eagles, falcons, etc.), which can often see a target from miles away. Deidara's village of origin is Rock, a village with many surrounding mountains and rocky cliffs - the usual roosting site of several species of hawks and eagles.

Deidara is symbolized by the hawk/eagle, either or. As eagles have a tendency to create very large, decorative, and fancy nests, I would lean more towards the eagle for our psycho artist.

15. Sasouke Raikiri ftw

Finally soemone settles with creatures/animals and not trying to prove that everyone has features from Bijuus, well some of the creatures are bijuus. But i like the idea of animal theme in Akatsuki :D

16. Wrath Mourning

And his real body had a tail with a poisoned spear on the end of it. Leaving aside everything else.

17. Shishi-O Oda Is God

agreed, i posted a while ago about his wierd "blade of the immortal" thing he had going, but nemo-whatsit?

it explains alot though.

18. geG Very Rude

Weasels are supposed to be omens of death in Japanese mythology (or something similar). That's why Itachi's a weasel.

19. Kisame Banned

Hidan being a vampire is symbolized by a vampire bat. Sucking the blood of his prey.

20. Seelas on a Forums Break

I thought Deidara was supposed to be a bat. It wasn't played on much, but they did show him hanging upside-down from the ceiling of the Akatsuki cave at the end of part 1.

21. Kisame Banned

yeah deidara was a bat but not no more

22. Kaminari Active Member

I think Kakuzu's animal is supposed to be a bear.

His Akatsuki ring says Hokuto - Northern Star. In Japanese "hokuto shichisei" means "the seven stars of the northern dipper", which is the the seven brightest stars of the constellation Ursa Major, the Great Bear.

23. QuoNina Active Member

I've heard of that thread but never got the chance to see it. Thanks for bringing that up. ^^

As a Mushishi addict, I like this idea of having parasites inside his body! don't want him to be too similar to Sasori... In fact, Kakuzu is more like Strechy, I don't mind those threads are actually organic and living.

But it doesn't really reject the Kakuzu = elephant theory (especially if we are gonna see an extentable trunk stretching out of his mask). Kishi adds a lot of ideas into Akatsuki characters. Each of them exhibits their animalistic attributes to a different extent. (Itachi is not that animalistic while Kisame is totally a sharkman.) This also implies that their characteristics are not bounded to those animalistic traits. They can resemble certain animals but not all of their characteristics need to fit into that animal. I believe if all Akatsuki resembles animals in one way or another, the implication is that they are in fact beasts themselves. In that case, Kakuzu = elephant is fitting: appearance, movements, and
    Spoiler: this:

(Elephants does signify wealth in some countries. I think in some religions it is the animal of healing. But I am not sure of the latter one. )

24. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

I still say he is closest to Scorpion from Mortal Combat....even with Scorpion shooting a rope out of his hand.

25. 99NineTails99 witty fox

The members of Akatsuki do seem to follow an animal theme (well I don't know about Zetsu). The first couple of characters that have been introduced are kind of obvious, but I have always wondered what Kakuzu and Hidan represented.

The symbiotic relationship between Kakuzu and the parasites, and Hidan being represented as a preying mantis are very interesting. I heard from somewhere that male preying mantis can still move after the female bites off his head. That sounds kind of similar to Hidan. Too bad the real animal isn't immortal like Hidan though. And after reading QuoNina's post, Kakuzu being an elephant also sounds plausible.

Great theory! Maybe we will learn more about Kakuzu and his method of detachment later in the manga.

26. Cardboard Jewsuke Draffut

The three big things of Kakuzu = Elephant were that his eyes look exactly like an elephants. he could very possibly have a trunk. and when the theory came up, we had not seen his hands. That last one was kinda shot down, but he could still be very Elephant-like regardless. and Elephant semas to be a good animal to relate to Waterfall to me for some reason.

27. fukush Banned

I guess my animal is a mountain of zeus.

28. Rashman Leader of the Franchise

yeah...i would like to think that kakuzu's animal might be an elephant. his appearance and monstrous strenght and all.

29. Yasha Procreate

Most artists are perfectionists. I bet Kishi will give all the Akatsukis an animal characteristic though of course there is no way I can be 100% sure about it. :p

Deidara is symbolized by bat. He was shown hanging upside down in the cave in Part 1. And his left eye probably works like the supersonic sound emitted by a bat, used to pinpoint the location of his prey.

30. Cardboard Jewsuke Draffut

Kishi has changed a few of the designs since he did that pic (Kakuzu is alot smaller) and he could have easily decided to change it from one bird to anouther. he doesn't seam very batlike to me, but a eagle or hawk would fit him pretty well.