1. Due to an update, many default preferences have changed.

If you have any issues, such as unrequested email notifications or following threads you didn't want to follow, then check your setting here.
  2. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  3. Impending Naruto Avenue Reorganisation!

Want to learn more? Wish to chime in? Click here.

Kingdom

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by Reznor, Jul 21, 2014.

Who do you want to lead during the first unification war?

1. Moubu

21.1%
  2. Kanki

25.6%
  3. Ousen

18.9%
  4. Tou

34.4%
  1. LordPerucho Well-Known Member

Kanki showing us why he is the best character in the series, that trolling :bury.

2. Canute87 Nuke Imminent

Kanki does not bow to your orthodox methods :noworry

3. Vault Time: Donut of the heart

4. Ichigo Ignis Fatuus

Terrible chapter. Pacing went the way of Bleach.

5. Vault Time: Donut of the heart

6. perman07 Per ler mer

Well, I see his point, a lot of the panels were people looking around and waiting. But those panels served a purpose here. If you want to illustrate nothing happening, than nothing happening is a logical way to show that. I felt a mood was conveyed here, the lack of action was the action. So this was not like Bleach at all where the sparseness of action is because entire pages are filled with a pointless reiatsu strike...

7. Pyro Got my PHD in OP

Anyone else expecting a night raid? I could see Kanki's bandit troops being pretty good at that.

8. Stannis Based

10. Black Mirror ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠? ͟ʖ ͡?)=ε/̵͇̿̿

Kanki didn't come at all.

Shin does something wrong

11. Hustler Active Member

Holy fuck those Ri Boku stats though

12. Zhen Chan Silver Spoon Coon Hoe

Hes stalling till they get pissed and attack

13. Akatora Active Member

was interesting as usual, hopefully Kanki did put something in motion that we will see soon.

other thing, was it fan art at the end of the chapter?

i found the kyokai drawing at the bottom left pretty well done here:

somnething about her here though gives me an 80's vibe

14. Kanki KIG

Hara put specific attention to Kisui's relationship with the people/kids of Rigan, and also Kanki's 'Saki-Clan' - the most cruel of his army.

I see Kanki sending the Saki Clan directly into the City of Rigen :bury

He might blackmail Zhao; Give me Kisui's head or the children Rigen will lose their eyes!:bury

15. Bakatohunter56 away fighting dragons

I'd imagine that that would be quite a bit away. I don't think Kanki would send such a force to a far away city just to threaten Kisui considering he doesn't have the men, nor the time to do that. I'd guess he might have wiped out Ryuutou or Batei - though I don't see this happening simply because Shin will prolly kill Batei. This might be his double spread fight.

16. perman07 Per ler mer

Just feel like sharing some irritation I have about this manga that I'm sure others have voiced before.

I feel like the instinctual - strategical seperation of generals is intrinsically a bullshit concept. Instincts in people are a powerful thing, and as a Norwegian who's had a lot of exposure to Magnus Carlsen (world's greatest current chess player) through the media, I've read interviews where he says goes a lot by instinct, so in that sense instinct in an intellectual activity is certainly a very real thing. As he says, there are too many moves to consider them all, and when his opponent makes a move, he tends to get about 3 moves that pretty immediately pops into his head, with 1 of them being what he favors. He then spends a lot of time deciding evaluating those 3 moves, and usually goes with the one he initially favored. As such, he goes a lot by intuition.

Thing is though, this is not intuition devoid of strategical insight. It's instinct born out of having applied strategical insight to similar sitiations tens of thousands of times. It's just pure training and adaptation making a task go fast and automatic.

Let's say an intuition general in this manga manages to anticipate an attack due to intuition, that means they understood some tactics and possibilities. Thing is, Shin has never shown any understanding at all to lay the foundation for future instinct. It's an instinct seemingly coming out of nowhere.

That's why nowadays, Ten seems like the real leader of the Hi Shin, while Shin is just the mascot, the puppet figure, the pep talker. It's gonna be an awkward transition to Shin actually becoming a dude who understands battle tactics, because for now he doesn't get it, then suddenly lights pop up for him like in Duke Hyuo's fight.

17. Pliskin Well-Known Member

This puts my gripes with instinct into much more eloquent terms than I could. To be fair tho, this is hardly Kingdom specific criticism, mangas are full of 'geniuses' who look at something they never did before and find the best way out by instinct. They are soo many in fact, that I have the suspicion that the Japanese culture itself has a view on prodigies/geniuses that is very different from the western one, but I could be wrong here, a japanophile maybe could chime in on that.

18. DragonSlayerOrnstein The Brave Knight of Anor Londo

There's a difference between instinct and intuition. Instinct is having that 6th sense, the "spidey-sense" per se, that for some reason you feel like something's off. The strategy all makes sense, the logic is there, you don't know why, but you feel there's something off.

There really isn't any problem with instinct vs. strategy in the series. The issue is with how Shin has been written so far. Since his first real unlocking of instinct, he's been laying back in the limelight while characters like Ten and Kyokai do all the work. For a guy who wants to be a full blown general, he really hasn't grown much at all the last 75 or so chapters. A lot of that attention has been given to Ten and Kyoaki, but Shin, outside maybe a bit more mature of an attitude, really hasn't changed, which has been frustrating. And for a guy who we thought had unlocked an instinctual sense, he's been constantly handing off the thinking to Ten, and Shin's really been little more than a musclehead, who has been outshined by Kyokai as well. So not only has he been getting beat in the brain game by Ten, he's been getting beat at the fighting game by Kyakai. It's made Shin look very weak in comparison, which wouldn't be that bad except those two are supposed to be his underling.

It's just annoying that Hara dangled the instinctual unlocking, but has done nothing with it for a long period of time now . I think as we see it more, Hara will explain it more and it'll start to make more sense and contrast well with more by the book, strategic generals, but Hara has done almost nothing since.

19. perman07 Per ler mer

I agree actually, with Duke Hyuo it felt more right cause he obviously wasn't a dumb guy, he had the minimal level of intelligence experience and insight for it to make sense. So I guess this might indeed be poor writing of Shin specifically.

It seemed like Hara changed shit up a little bit when Shin suddenly started losing though, because before that he sort of made Shin a guy who could win battles with the Hi Shin unit his own way, but suddenly he seemed like a battle moron. If he instead made Shin a little unpolished while still intuitively understanding some points about battle from experience, it wouldn't seem so ridiculous for a guy who's aiming to be the best general of all time. I think a little strategic insight gained from experience would be reasonable, an uneducated slave doesn't have to be stupid just because he's ignorant. Sometimes it seems like that "idiot protagonist" trope is taken a little bit too far in Shonen...

20. BlueDemon Demon

21. Saishin Hajimemashite

Kanki such a troll,that Keisha expression :LOS

Btw Kingdom 10th anniversary!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  22. Stannis Based

the lack of duke hyou in that cover is disturbing

23. haegar Well-Known Member

ouki has a fuckin halo, what did you expect? clearly the editor is an ouki fan who snuck in the halo and snuck out the duke :sun

ouki wouldnt feel a halo is appropriate anyways, ko ko ko :lmao

24. BlueDemon Demon

Ouki's death was so damn epic. Like freaking Whitebeard dying still sitting on his horse. What a man. Damn.

I fucking dig this manga. Hasn't it been published in English yet? And how far along are we? (as in, how close to conquering China? I mean the series is already approaching 500 chapters)

25. Saishin Hajimemashite

As far as I know no English version has been published yet.There's still a long way before China is conquered,it seems Hara wants to finish his work with the 100th volume and till now in Japan 41 volumes have been published so far,this is gonna be long series.

26. BlueDemon Demon

Which is actually damn great. Only down side is that if they're ever going to be published in either English or German it's going to take years and lots of bucks to buy lol

27. Badalight JOJO

In terms of guessing the length by actual history, it's hard to decipher, simply because the manga isn't really historically accurate (and it's probably gonna fly way off the rails coming up, for the sake of making the manga more interesting).

The moment you find out Ouki was almost completely irrelevant irl

:catcry

28. DragonSlayerOrnstein The Brave Knight of Anor Londo

Hara himself had said that the 40th volume, about the 430 chapter mark, is the halfway point, so he'd look to end it at 80 volumes, or something like 850 chapters. However, he also said that he could go as far as 100 volumes, as there's plenty of material to work with, and plenty of history not recroded that he can create his own content with.

All we know is that we'll have several more years of Kingdom content at the very least.

29. BlueDemon Demon

But the inner-political conflict has been solved by now (i.e. the newest chapter) already and the China Conquest is on-going, right? (I mean that's why they got Sanyou, finished that arc too)

This is so addictive.

30. Saishin Hajimemashite

Kingdom is published in Italy,just a couple of days volume 26 has been released :awesome
    Oh ok,well to end with the 80th volume would be ok too

Yeah probably other ten years of publication,I mean Naruto got 16 years s of publication,not to mention Berserk.
    This story it gonna be long,there are still 6 states to conquer and we are still with Wei :lmao

I wonder if the third season of the anime of Kingdom will ever be made.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016