1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

    Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

Kingmaker Part 1: Stolen Land

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by strongarm85, Mar 13, 2016.

  1. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,796
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    593
    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Reputation:
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    Part 1: Stolen Land



    The date is 28th of Calastril of the year 4710 A.R.

    Our adventure begins along the Southern Boarder of Rostland. Those who have gathered have all been recruited as an expeditionary force explore the area known as the Green Belt. Having set off in the morning, the party travels down a poorly maintained heading due south.

    Having traveled for several long hours to get this far, as the sun begins to sit, Oleg's Trading Post comes into view.


    Oleg Leveton and his wife Svetlana have converted and old boarder fort into a Trading Post. This humble local marks the last vestige of civilization in this untamed wilderness. As you near the old fort it becomes obvious that it's timbers are well aged. The Catapults on the square watch towers are no better, and are clearly broken down.

    When you arrive, Oleg is patching the roof of the guest house (area 2) and Svetlana is there to greet you at the gate, clearly expecting you.
     
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Tags:
  2. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    Lilith dismounts her horse from about twenty feet away, leading the equine toward Svetlana. Both the kitsune and the horse bow at the woman. "Good evening." The two tailed fox gives a charming smile as she stands with the horse once more. "I would like to make sure, is this Oleg's Trading Post, or am I mistaken?"
     
  3. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

    Messages:
    16,572
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    503
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Reputation:
    Lucy gives a sigh of relief seeing the building closing up. She pats Petra on her neck. "Look girl!" she whispers to the mare's ear excited. "We are almost there". Lucy dismounts as soon as possible... she has been riding Petra only using a blanket. Petra follows her close without a leash as she approaches to meet Svetlana with the others.

    The girl gives a worried glance to the catapults. That will not do.
     
  4. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,796
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    593
    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Reputation:
    "Yes, this Oleg's Trading Post, do come in!", Svetlana is cheerful woman in her mid to late 20's. As the she greets you, you can hear Oleg start to climb down from the roof having just finished thatching a roof when you arrive.

    She will leads your horses around to a stable (building 3 on map). Which is currently occupied by a single jittery horse. The barding on which reads the name "Claptrap".

    "You must be hungry! There is a stew and fresh bread that are nearly done."
     
  5. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    "That would be lovely. Please take care of Roach." She nods, clearing her throat gently, watching Lucy and her horse. She pats down her chest fluff and her ears perk straight up, not saying much else, and giving the others showing up a chance to speak. Though obviously interested.
     
  6. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

    Messages:
    16,572
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    503
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Reputation:
    "Thank you, ma'am!" Lucy makes a military salute and hurries inside at the mention of food.

    "Go and stay there girl" Lucy directs the mare into the stables. "Be nice with the others, will ya?"
     
  7. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,796
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    593
    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Reputation:
    Svetlana seems overjoyed to see so many people here. And she takes her time greeting each member individually. The long tables between the Guest House (Area 2) and the Main House (Area 6-11) are already set up. You can tell that Svetlana has even gone so far as to open a bottle of wine for everyone!

    "So, have you thought about how to deal with the Bandits when they arrive here in the morning?" Svetlana inquisitively asks as the party begins gathering around the table.
     
  8. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    "I believe the best route of action would be to stage an ambush." Lilith scratches the side of her muzzle, "Or we could take some time to fix up the catapults tonight. What do you think?" she looks at the others.
     
  9. Clay The Writing Writer Retired Staff

    Messages:
    27,294
    Likes Received:
    15
    Trophy Points:
    543
    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    Reputation:
    "An arrow," Keyll said unenthusiastically as she sat inspecting the pointed end of one, "right between their eyes. They would get the hint eventually."

    Keyll wasn't what you'd call a people person. She was much more at home in isolation, tracking dangerous beasts beneath emerald canopies. She could muster little interest in the encroaching bandits when the Greenbelt called to her.
     
  10. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    "Then you can be put in ambush." The fox states, watching Keyll.
     
  11. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    22,252
    Likes Received:
    106
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    Eoli walks up from checking that his horse is properly housed in the stable as the others discuss the bandits. "An ambush sounds ideal. But bandits tend to use such tactics themselves quite a bit, that sort is the first to expect it."

    "What sort of demands have the bandits made? A trap can only be as good as the bait we use for it." His voice is calm and considered obviously an intellectual type.
     
  12. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

    Messages:
    16,572
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    503
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Reputation:
    "Bandits? Tomorrow?" Lucy gives the woman a glance while serving herself a bowl of stew and grabbing a loaf of bread "Ma'am, why are you sure they will come tomorrow?"

    She nods at Eoli. "Yeah, have they demanded anything from you?"
     
  13. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,796
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    593
    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Reputation:
    Oleg approaches the group and explains the situation, "The first time the Bandits came was 4 months ago. There where 12 of them, lead by a woman and a gruff man who followed her lead. The woman threatened to stake Svetlana back to their camp if we resisted and stole wedding ring right off her finger in front of me!"

    Svetlana looks away as Oleg continues on, obviously uncomfortable with the way the conversation is turning.

    "They've been coming back on the first of each month ever since then. They always arrive an hour after sunrise and always seem to be in a hurry to leave. Their camp must be a day's ride away from here."

    "The second time they came back there were only eight of them, and the woman wasn't with them. The third time, there were only six. They probably think that they've cowed us into servitude, but we've been sending word back to town when hunters return from the wilds."

    "They've been coming in every week and taking all of our stock and trade goods. I want to see those men hanging from the walls of this fort tomorrow! I don't care if they're dead or alive or not when I put them up there! Do this for me, and you'll never need to pay to rest or eat here."
     
  14. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    22,252
    Likes Received:
    106
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    Eoli considers this a moment, doing the math in his head. Finally he speaks, "there are considerations here." He speaks simply, with a measured voice and even tone. "Killing six in an ambush, this is something within the means of the numbers we have gathered. But I am not sure it is the best option."

    "There are at least another six out there, and they will come with blood and vengeance in mind if we kill the first group. Likely aiming to burn this site to the ground, force us into an ambush of their own." He pauses to nod to himself, "if it comes to a fight we will need to track them back and finish them off."

    "But fighting is not the only option. For these men that come they likely hold their lives better than their loyalty to this Bandit Queen. An optimistic man might say they could be recruited," his tone suggests that he doesn't think this is likely. "Or at the least letting them live to be interrogated gets us the location of their base and their numbers."

    He gestures to the walkway around the gate, "get some cover up there for those that favor range. Hide there and," he points by the gate itself "there. Let them come in, then show them that the numbers are against them. See if they don't have a change of heart."
     
  15. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

    Messages:
    16,572
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    503
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Reputation:
    "You are something else" Lucy stares at Eoli, impressed.

    "We will need to hide the carts and horses too... if they see there are more horses here they will suspect something is up"
     
  16. hammer Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    53,747
    Likes Received:
    61
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    Reputation:
    * Sanzo leans back in his chair resting his feet on the table, fills his pipe with tobacco and lights it up*

    Chances are, even if we do stop them now more will come later. I'm sure their camp must be close by, what if we can track them tonight before they even arrive in the morning.



    *takes a deep breath from the pipe and then offers it to Eoli*

    However, your idea is good.
     
  17. Clay The Writing Writer Retired Staff

    Messages:
    27,294
    Likes Received:
    15
    Trophy Points:
    543
    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    Reputation:
    "If they only appear once a month, tracking them will be difficult unless they travel through the forest," Keyll said, "and there's too much ground to cover for searching if it's a day's ride to their hideout."

    Inspecting her arrows each in turn, Keyll thought some more and considered, "When hunted, prey often flee to where they feel safest. If we kill all but one bandit, who we allow to think they have escaped us, they would lead me to where the rest of these bandits lurk."

    "Then we can kill them all."
     
  18. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

    Messages:
    16,572
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    503
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Reputation:
    "I'm in... but..." Lucy blushes sightly "Im missing Petra's saddle. I cant ride her well like that. She still can bite some face if I order her to. See if they like that."
     
  19. Clay The Writing Writer Retired Staff

    Messages:
    27,294
    Likes Received:
    15
    Trophy Points:
    543
    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    Reputation:
    "Perhaps there is a saddle here," Keyll offered, "An outpost like this would need to have a stable."
     
  20. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    Lilith listens in silence, not a word being spoken through the suggestions. "Lets see, I don't like fighting myself, I cannot in fact, I am physically too weak and I prefer to do things diplomtically if possible. We could attempt diplomacy if in fact they don't back off and have a change of heart. But if even that doesn't work, I would see no choice but to kill. As she says," she points at Keyll, "leave one, and they can 'run away' letting us follow in their companion's stead." After a moment she nods, "Lilith by the way."
     
  21. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,796
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    593
    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Reputation:
    "I have a riding saddle for Claptrap I can let you borrow until I have time to go to town and resupply. I imagine you might want more of a military saddle in the long run, I'll be sure to bring one back when I go to town. I rarely ride Claptrap anyway, normally he pulls the cart back to town."

    The stew appears to include a few radishes, potatoes, and celery. Some type of Venison your are unfamiliar with makes up the meat stock in the stew. Its a very lean and rugged compared to beef, and just a bit of that gamey flavor.

    As for Svetlana and Oleg, Svetlana seems nervous, and Oleg bit riled up, both of them have something they haven't had for a while, hope.

    At night when you begin settling in the guest rooms, which are made out of modified old barracks, you might notice that there are message board with several bounty notices posted.



    (4 Active Sidequest added)
     
  22. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

    Messages:
    16,572
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    503
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Reputation:
    "Yes, I military saddle would be best, but I'll have to wait until we get settled and my pouch weighs more. I'm not terribly worried... Petra can fight just fine with our without me on her back. When I said she can bite someone's face off, I mean it!"


    *later*
    "Does anyone have something to write these down?" Lucy asks out loud looking at the message board. "Or can we just take them?"

    Before sleep Lucy goes with Oleg for the saddle. She wants to leave everything ready for the morning in case they need to chase them.
     
  23. Clay The Writing Writer Retired Staff

    Messages:
    27,294
    Likes Received:
    15
    Trophy Points:
    543
    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    Reputation:
    "A wild boar? I look forward to hunting this 'Tuskgutter'," Keyll laughed, "A masterfully crafted bow would be a fine replacement for my own, as well."

    She paused for a second, considering her new partners, "Assuming nobody else would need such a weapon, that is."

    "The Tatzlwyrm will be a little more difficult but, if you do as I say, we can handle such a beast," she continued, running through the list of available jobs, "but that is where my expertise ends - kobolds are not my forte, I'm afraid."
     
  24. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

    Messages:
    16,572
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    503
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Reputation:
    "Well... they are nasty little creatures. I can't take Petra inside a cave, but if we can manage to get them out, I'm sure we can deal with them"
     
  25. hammer Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    53,747
    Likes Received:
    61
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    Reputation:
    *Sanzo exhales the smoke from his lungs*

    I wouldn't mind such a bow myself, why not make it a competition, if your arrow makes the killing blow, you keep it, if mine does I keep it.
     
  26. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,796
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    593
    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Reputation:
    {{ We're heading into the first encounter of the series.

    So now is a good time for everyone to come up with exactly what their plans are.

    Give a description of your initial positioning, as well as your combat goals and tactics that you intend to use.

    Lilith mentioned wanting to convince the Bandits to surrender, but in the event that doesn't work everyone should probably go ahead and provide an overview of tactics and rolls for 5 combat rounds.}}
     
  27. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    22,252
    Likes Received:
    106
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    Eoli could assist in negotiations as well if they want however if Lilith would prefer to take the lead there he won't stop her.

    Eoli will take cover inside the stables (A3) and suggest that Lilith and Oleg plan to meet the bandits in the open courtyard just outside that. He'll keep the door open enough that he can hear and fire through it while ducked inside. If negotiations turn south he'll attack from this position with his shortbow (most of the A1 courtyard is within 30' for sneak attack and pointblank shot so I'll include the +1 hit/damage below, subtract it out if they're not for some reason).

    Round 1:
    1d20+3
    16+3 = 19

    Damage:
    1d6+1
    3+1 = 4

    Sneak Attack
    1d6+0
    5+0 = 5

    Round 2:
    1d20+3
    11+2 = 14

    Damage:
    1d6+1
    3+1 = 4

    Round 3:
    1d20+3
    20+2 = 23

    Confirm:
    1d20+3
    15+3 = 18

    Damage:
    1d6+1
    1+1 = 2

    Crit (x3):
    2d6+2
    6,3+2 = 11

    Round 4:
    1d20+3
    12+2 = 15

    Damage:
    1d6+1
    3+1 = 4

    Round 5:
    1d20+3
    3+2 = 6

    Damage:
    1d6+1
    2+1 = 3
     
  28. hammer Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    53,747
    Likes Received:
    61
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    Reputation:
    Sanzo will Follow Eoli's lead, as he is also a ranged fighter he should stay behind the doors with the other archers*


    int=10+1


    Feats

    perfect strike

    Precise Shot

    Rapid Shot

    roll one

    17+1-2=16
    1d6=4
    roll two

    12+1-2= 11

    choose the first roll

    second attack
    7-2+1=6
    1d6=2
    second round

    first attack

    15+1-2= 14

    1d6=2

    second attack

    17+1-2=16

    1d6=2
    round three

    first attack

    5-2+1=4
    1d6=6
    second attack

    16-2+1=15

    1d6=2

    round four

    first attack

    18-2+1=17

    1d6=4


    second attack

    2-2+1=1

    1d6=2
    round five

    first attack

    10-2+1=9

    1d6=5
    second attack

    5-2+1=4

    1d6=5
     
  29. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

    Messages:
    16,572
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    503
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Reputation:
    ((I dont think I will be able to post rolls until tonight))

    Lucy gets Petra ready and stays just out of sight by the stables. If they turn hostile, Lucy will make a mounted charge with her lance. Petra will bite and kick as directed.

    ((Ill expand ))
     
  30. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    Night before...
    "Make sure you can see me, if my ears go back while trying to be diplomatic, strike true with your arrows."

    Now...

    Lilith stands in the courtyard, her lute in one hand. Once they get within voicing distance, she will speak. "What do you believe you will get raiding this trading post every month? Sooner or later, they might leave and you don't have anything from here to take. Is there any way we can reach an agreement?"

    Diplomacy-
    Roll(1d20)+8:
    16,+8
    Total:24

    If they get aggressive anyway, Lilith will back off and Inspire Courage to all her allies.
     
Loading...