1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

Knowledge vs Wisdom

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Near, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Near Seeker of Truth

Since wisdom is always the popular/better choice lets see of you people can prove otherwise...you think you can do it?

btw heres some articles!

Akatsuki comic has been updated

You guys can use these as ammo or info. (if you like, I am not forcing you)

:::EDIT:::

Alright i'll give a scenario. Two men. One man who uses his knowledge, and one man who uses his Wisdom. It can be said that both of these men can predict to 90% accuracy of events that will come. You are forced to take advice from one of these two men. The advice has some value since the wrong advice will lead to your death. They both come up with different answers that are both pausible. Which advice would you choose. Remember each side has the ability to prove themselves with whatever they need.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

-Didn't read the aritcles-

From my "Knowledge" Knowledge is fact or raw information one has on things; exactly what you acquire and record. Wisdom however is being able to use that raw cumalative knowledge in a way that displays you have absorded it.

Ie- I take a class on shakespear.. I am tought knowledge and asked to regurgate the cumalative knowledge I have gained via taking a test. However if questions on that test do not refer exactly to the notes I have, I am then asked to use my wisdom based upon the cumlative knowledge I have gained from all things and not just that area of study, to identify and adapt.

...Therefore in my opinion based upon the scenrio you have given Wisdom always trumphs knowledge, simple because you cannot have wisdom without knowledge however, you can have knowledge without wisdom.

3. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

I'm gonna wing it and go with wisdom. Only because in order for knowledge to be used correctly most of the time (not all of the time), some ammount of wisdom must be had by the user. A pretty lame answer, but something I feel is true.

4. falconmain pocket pussy

wouldn't it be a better topic to have intelligence vs wisdom? someone young and smart vs someone older, not as smart, but very wise.

5. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

... this should actually be moved to the outskirts battledom.

6. NarutardKK l'Cie

Why? It's perfectly legal to have this here.....its a non-anime/media related debate topic.

Anyways, back on topic:

I know this isnt part of the rules but...it depends on what u are doing thats gonna get you killed. I consider to knowledge to be booksmarts, and wisdom to be streetsmarts. Wisdom to me is what type of "knowledge" life has trained you to understand, while knowledge is something other humans give to you. Humans sometimes arent the best sources. If someone is wise, they will be able to reflect on past experiences and experiences of others, to determine the best possible outcome.

So I'd have to go with wisdom on this.

7. NashNinja Your standard issue ninja

Knowledge is good or answering multiple choice questions on the SATs and winning the big bucks in Jeopardy, but it's wisdom, the ability to think critically based on what you know, that seperates the complex minds of human beings from the comparatively simplistic ones of computers. Both are useless without the other, but knowledge is more dependent on wisdom than vice versa.

8. ez Jesus Christ

Knowledge is the awareness and understanding of facts, truths or information gained in the form of experience or learning; wisdom, however,is the trait of utilizing knowledge and experience with common sense and insight. Therefore, wisdom is using knowledge the proper way which makes having knowledge without wisdom...pointless.

9. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

It depends, some situations require an advanced degree of knowledge, while others require wisdom with what knowledge you have to make a decision.

Personally I would go with knowledge over wisdom just because I think the situations where pure knowledge outweighs wisdom are more numerous.

Knowledge without much wisdom can still accomplish much, but wisdom without knowledge would be very narrow, without knowledge of what you're talking about your wisdom is meaningless.

10. sasukecopyninja In The Midst of Your Angst

Ok well theres a few ways you can take this. Since almost EVERY situation you end up in has to have a reasonable level of reasoning in it you can usually find away to create a logical and probably dead acurate out come. Although, there are many situation in which wisdom would be applyed, although wisdom is a form of knowledge so, really, knowledge and wisdom are the same thing in a sense, but heres a sinerio. I'll use farming land as an example.

Two men have an equal amount of land, same richness, ect. They have accesss to an equptment but will use waht they want to do things their way. Now You have the one man who has a masters degree in agriculture and farming. The other guy has been farming for say around 30 years. Now, who will probably come out with a better crop. Probably the man who has been doing it for so many years. Things just based on Knowledge can not alwasy help, now wisdom from trial and error will most likly take the win for a situation liek that.

Thats my 2 cents hope you enjoyed readin:p lol

11. Chaotic Diplomat Level 2 World Dictator (whaha)

I would go with Wisdom for to me wisdom is a mass amount of knowledge and you understand and use the knowledge well. So why go with somone who knows about it over somone who knows and canactually know what it means?

12. kakako petja New Member

uuuh. knowledge comes from wisdom. except if you know every possible outcome which would mean that you have a brain the size of empire state building. our wisdom comes from intellect which has several formulas at its desposal and can give you knowledge after you solved something.
    so wisdom rules unless you are a fortune teller or god.

13. Danichi Wanderer

Wisdom is acquiring knowledge, common sense, experiences, and having the power to apply all that. After all, what good is knowledge if you do not know how to use it?

14. opium4themasses Member

Well it depends if you are playing a Wizard or a Cleric. You want the big boosts to healing from a good wisdom as a cleric, but that wisdom would not be nearly as useful to a wizard.

What? It's the first thing that came to mind.

15. NarutardKK l'Cie

True, true...but what type of person would you need for the situation you're in? In some, I would rather brute strength and the small intinctive knowledge I already have to use to surivive. Most animals get away with, so, with small problems, we should be able to too.

16. kakako petja New Member

wait i was wrong hehe cuz if you are wise about something you get knowledge. when you understand a formula you get knowledge. even if wisdom is your ability to think logically, you don't need it if you have knowledge thus knowledge beats wisdom.
    unfortunatly we need wisdom to get more knowledge.

17. Near Seeker of Truth

I did have Intelligence vs Wisdom first btw. but I felt that Intelligence is more to do with how well someone can apply their knowledge or wisdom in any given situation.

What if the subject is walking on a raggedy bridge across a valley thats 10,000 miles deep and 1000 feet across, and there is only one way to get across, by applying perfectly placed steps, what would you choose then?

Let me define the terms here too.

wis·dom
    n.
    The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight.
    Common sense; good judgment: “It is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things” (Henry David Thoreau).

The sum of learning through the ages; knowledge: “In those homely sayings was couched the collective wisdom of generations” (Maya Angelou).
    Wise teachings of the ancient sages.
    A wise outlook, plan, or course of action.
    Wisdom Bible. Wisdom of Solomon.

knowl·edge
    n.
    The state or fact of knowing.
    Familiarity, awareness, or understanding gained through experience or study.
    The sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned.
    Learning; erudition: teachers of great knowledge.
    Specific information about something.
    Carnal knowledge.

In my eyes wisdom wins in most cases, but for this instance where I am leaving my life in a persons hand, I think I would choose The man with knowledge. With wisdom, I doubt there will ever be a sufficient amount of experience to be learned about any given problem (most but not everything), where as a person with knowledge can apply it to mostly anything.

18. Mizura Meh

If I ask a question about life matters, I'd go with the wise guy.

If I ask a math question or whether the Earth is flat or Round, I'd go with the knowledgeable guy.

19. Mousowi Member

I'd still go with wisdom. Because even if you know algebra, geometry, or calculus if you don't know how to apply it to the situation you just gave, then knowledge is still pretty much useless.

I'd think for a math problem it would need to be a none applicable one. Because you need wisdom when using applied math.

With wisdom you still have experience, you may have already had to deal with a similar situation. Or if you?re wise enough you may be able to figure it out anyway.

But I will admit this I'm really biased. There are so many times when I meet people who are smart or knowledgeable but completely lack common sense and seem to have little ability to judge or discern things properly.

20. sasukecopyninja In The Midst of Your Angst

That is the shortest debate quote I have EVER seen you make Miz, EVER!!!

21. kakako petja New Member

but what if you know how to take care of the situation?

22. Leen Peacemaker

This a an example of knowledge vs wisdom.
    A is very smart in school and always the top student. B is a stupid student and always fail in class. A pass with distinction and study BA in top university. B stays at home and make his own business. 5 years later, A is a top graduate with no job. B is a big boss with lots of money. Who win who lost??

In real life, knowledge really doesn't play an important role. It's the wisdom, the ability to judge things and take precise actions at the right times that counts. After all, what's the use of studying so much about mathematics when u end up being a doctor? Wisdom is definetely the winner here.

People of Wisdom will survive in the harshest environment while peole with knowledge will die when they are given a new environment because they simply have no knowledge about how to adapt themselves to this new environment.

Wisdom clearly is the winner here!!!!!!!!

23. LZ ok...

you can have all the knowledge in the world, but if you don't have the wisedom it will all go to waste

24. rimpelcut You know it, I know it.

OMG people this is so simple. ok look -you have knowledge about what something is, why something should be done, how it should be done. where does wisdom come in?
    The problem is ,said by kakako petja, that people use wisdom to gather knowledge and build from there forth. But if for instance a human was thought all the knowledge there is to know, he wouldn't need wisdom.
    in fact evading an attacking fist is done by wisdom. So you can see how super smart you need to be.

25. AmenoKitarou Evangelion Otaku

With wisdom comes certain knowledge, but knowledge brings no wisdom.

26. Sakura Active Member

everybody would probably say that both would matter a lot in life but wisdom is just a tiny bit more important. knowledge would be in need when you just want to answer something smartly with stuff like algebra, history, etc. wisdom would be used in another way that allows someone from experience to deal with a situation with more sense and judgement

27. rimpelcut You know it, I know it.

wisdom is based on knowledge. this creates new knowledge.
    You could say that one with wisdom knows the way things work. I think I answered this thread.

28. memback Fear My Elbows Of Doom!!!!!!!!

Well I couldnt agree more the main question of debate seems to be a little off base. Becuase Knowledge is just information and Wisdom is the application of Knowledge. Sooo if you ask me the question dosnt realy make sense.:huh

29. RyuShi_Lloyd Member

Both Knowledge and Wisdom are incomplete without some part of the other.

Someone who is wise but has no knowledge is only good at problem solving. However, with no facts to use in order to solve the problem is similar to trying to solve a rubix cube while colorblind. In order to solve it, the only tool at his disposal is guess and check.

Someone who has Knowledge and no Wisdom would be a computer (without A.I). It can retain vast amounts of information but if you ask it solve something, it cannot create the answer to the question. It would need an exact Input/Output question.

Wisdom is putting your past experiences to use. Without the knowledge of those past experiences you are sunk. Likewise, with knowledge you have all the information you need, but no means to apply it.

30. memback Fear My Elbows Of Doom!!!!!!!!

Wow I like those metaphors. Nice work man:amuse