• NBDContest
    Come enter in the NBD Banner Contest !
    Deadline for entries is February 4 at 12:00 pm UTC.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

L.A. Woman: the 50th Anniversary

This year is the 50th anniversary of L.A. Woman, the sixth studio album by The Doors, and their final album with Jim Morrison as their lead vocalist. At the time of that album's recording, the band was suffering from severe internal tension, which was caused largely to due Morrison's increasingly erratic behavior, as the result of his copious consumption of alcohol and psychedelic substances, but the band was able to focus and record what many musicians consider to be one of their best albums, which featured many excellent songs, such as The Changeling, Love Her Madly, the title track, and the epic closing song, Riders on the Storm. Only three months after the album was released, Morrison died from alcohol poisoning in Paris, making the album a fitting ending for his career and life.

Many casual fans of The Doors may be surprised to learn that the remaining members of the band actually recorded two further albums after Jim Morrison died, Other Voices and Full Circle, but those albums failed to replicate the successes of their earlier works, and were out of print for many years, before they were finally reissued on CD in 2015, so they disbanded after the second of those two albums was released. Discovering the existence of those albums is very similar to discovering that Pantera released four albums before Cowboys From Hell, since both bands have chosen to ignore those albums.

The Doors are one of my favorite bands, so I naturally am very excited about this anniversary, and I do hope that their record label released a special edition of the album, to commemorate it, as they have done with every previous album. My favorite songs from the album are the title track and the ending track; I know that most bands like to have their albums end with an amazing song, but there is something about Riders on the Storm that strikes me emotionally whenever I hear it, a tone of finality that truly signals the end of an era in music.

What does everyone else say about this subject? What are your thoughts about this year being the 50th anniversary of L.A. Woman?

Top Bottom