1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

Last time Deku was an "underdog" (Anime only Beware)

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Wosu, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:19 PM.

1. Wosu That's lovely...

When was it lol? I feel like that stopped after shoot style. The boy should be a pro hero rn lol.

There's not that many villains that could defeat him currently, even more lulz.

Tags:
  2. xenos5 Objectionable Objection

Deku was definitely an underdog against Overhaul.

He would’ve lost even with 20% and he needed Eri negating the effects of 100% to have any chance against Kaijuhaul (Overhaul fused with Rikiya).

It just wasn’t a battle he could’ve won on his own at that point in the story.

3. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

Deku alone can be defeated by competent villains. He struggled to defeat an adult version of someone who failed to become a hero, and was pretty much a joke villain in the grand scheme of things. He'd get squashed by the likes of Gigantomachia.

4. Wosu That's lovely...

Well yeah, a ton of Heros would've had trouble with Chisaki too, the man was broken. He's a top tier in the series lol.
    His quirk did a bit too much.

5. Luiz Well-Known Member

Izuku stopped being interesting when he got to U.A and learned to use his powers without getting hurt.

His goal was to become a hero and that already is guaranteed. Sure, he also wants to be "the best", but that doesn't make me root for him like I did in the beginning.

6. Wosu That's lovely...

Well, wasn't it mostly Gentle using trickery to try and escape? and when it came to fighting, Deku walloped him until he got the loverlover boost and still got beat by 20% Deku?

7. Wosu That's lovely...

8. xenos5 Objectionable Objection

On top of his quirk he has very good reaction speed to back it up (blitzed Rappa every time they fought, reacted to some of Mirio’s attacks, dodged attacks from 20% Deku and considered them easier to predict than attacks from Mirio and Nighetye).

It’s kinda funny how Overhaul’s quirk is a one-hit-kill quirk like Shigaraki’s but it’s just better in every way due to its versatility range and not needing all five fingers to touch :lmao

9. Luiz Well-Known Member

That's not the point. He already got what he wanted, so there isn't much to look forward to or a reason to root for him.

10. Wosu That's lovely...

Actually, which heros besides All might could've beaten such a monster lol? Mirio was a battle of attrition, Chisaki has ways to regain stamina and mirio didn't. Mirio would've lose that.

Yeah, his quirk just so much better than Shigaraki's lol. Not even comparable at this point lol.

11. xenos5 Objectionable Objection

Endeavor has good chances. He could burn through the reconstructed ground so his ranged projectile attacks reach Overhaul.

And Hawks with his telekinetic control over his feathers could potentially win through being sneaky (leave a feather lying on the ground so when Overhaul steps near it, Hawks makes it fly up and slit his throat in a surprise attack).

Definitely.

12. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Overhaul was the last time he was a underdog, but that was also just two fights ago. His fight against Gentle was pretty even and he was stronger/better then he was against Overhaul.

Deku will be rocketing up in the power rankings pretty soon though. If Deku can use 20% full cowl, he is essentially at the half way mark. Deku jumping to 30% and he is probably top pro hero level, at 50% he honestly might just be ready to start taking All Mights place since All Might didn't use his full power most of the time, 50% full cowl should also be able to throw 100% punches without injuring himself, he just couldn't spam it.

13. Wosu That's lovely...

I actually made this thread cause I thought Deku could go full cowl 20% with like minimal damage, but I was wrong so... Yours makes more sense.

I wonder what Bakugo is going to do to even keep up with the OPness that is OFA. 20% Deku is probs the strongest of all the students.

14. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

I'm not too sure about this, because I feel like we're gearing up for some heavy stuff, with the slow boil we've had since the start of the series.

We've seen how this society has created villains with characters like Shigaraki and the 3 villains that fought Tamaki. We've seen how there are many who believe heroes to be "fakes", with the video of Stain going viral and doubt in the current hero society rising. We've seen how the LoV has slowly been maturing and building on these two points. The word hero and the word villain have started to lose their meaning in this setting.

For him to become the next symbol of peace, he's going to have to do more than just punch guys really hard. He's gonna have to learn how to deal with certain moral and mental challenges. Him being able to control his power is great, but as OFA is further delved into, and as the hero society continues to become laboured with opposition and resentment, Deku is gonna have a lot on his plate to question and deal with.

15. luffy no haki 1st Seat

Meh if we are as strict as stain and his shit ideology a true hero is one who doesnt expect nor gain anything yet even all might was most likely getting a salary from both heroing and being a teacher.

The true strict term of 100% pure unamovable heroes disappeared in the moment it became a profession backed up by the government.

16. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Bakugo still has to hold back his explosions because Deku would get severely injured by them. As Deku gets stronger, the bigger attacks Bakugo can use. I say Bakugo will scale up to 50% competitively.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 8:23 PM
  17. Wosu That's lovely...

I also feel like Deku is not gonn try to copy all might and become a pillar like All might did.

18. Aros001 Member

I'd argue that no, it's not guaranteed Midoriya will become a top pro hero. Not only is there a decent chance of him flunking UA's Hero Program, either through exams, expulsion, or by being switched out for a student in one of the other courses, but with everything the villains are doing and planning to do, there's a very real chance UA itself could be the next to fall and then hero society. There is more at stake than just Midoriya wanting to be a hero and its a drama he's heavily wrapped up in because his destiny is now tied in with One For All's and what all its previous holders wanted that power to be used for.

Unless you're saying that Midoriya is not longer interesting simply because now he has a decent chance at becoming A hero. Which is a mindset I simply don't understand.

19. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

As I see it Deku is still a work in progress. He has not as yet achieved his goal and I think there are still a lot of challenges ahead of him on his path to becoming the new 'greatest hero' (and I have seen him refer to this term as his goal twice in the manga).

20. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Deku's crowning year will be his second year at U.A. by the time he is at year three, he should have gained a significant amount of control over OFA, only top tier villains and Nomu's should be a threat to him at the time. The stakes can ramp up dramatically with quirk enhancing drugs for year 3, but if Deku and co are beating them by year 3 then they really aren't that big of a threat.

21. Tenma The Inferno

It's sustainable as a full time job because its backed up by the government and heroes are paid. Even heroes gotta pay the bills and put food on the table.

It's far more effective to make it a profession than to hope good samaritans who we don't need to pay will step up, there's a reason we pay our doctors and cops.

22. Skaddix Well-Known Member

Come on guys this is shonen the lead always gets to the end goal unless the series gets cancelled.

Deku will be the greatest that is not even accounting for his power being OP as Fuck.

Deku can basically punch so hard he can create explosions...he will have better durability, speed and strength then Bakugou by the end by orders of magnitude. Especially since unlike All Might he will master the spiritual side of his powerset.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  23. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

Deku wasn't an underdog anymore right after he met All Might.

24. Baks Well-Known Member

25. Gunners .

Your post doesn't make sense. People are capable if developing new wants in life. He got what he wanted but it cane at the price of accepting a baton which has given him the goal of becoming the symbol of peace.

26. ComradeStalin New Member

Russia
    Last time Deku was an underdog? Chapter 1, I presume. And the next 197 chapters are about him quickly becoming a full-fledged Purity Stu who will eventually outshine everyone and their beloved holy Oru Maito grandma :mjpls:

27. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Nah, much like Bakugou he has to many flaws to be a Stu in any shape or form. Plus he lost a lot of his initial intelligence in process of power growth.