1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

learn chinese the easy way

Discussion in 'Foreign Languages' started by Sakura, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Sakura Active Member

im american born chinese so i know lots of chinese and i can help anyone who wants to learn some cool chinese! just ask me what you wanna know!

----------------------------​

ill start off with some basic stuff:
    你好 ni hao - hello
    你好吗? ni hao ma - how are you
    再见 zai jian - good bye
    早上好 zao shang hao - good morning
    晚安 wan an - good night
    我爱你 wo ai ni - i love you
    为什么 wei she me - why

character names in naruto:
    鸣人 ming ren - naruto
    佐助 zuo zhu - sasuke
    小樱 xiao ying - sakura
    卡卡西 ka ka shi - kakashi (easy one!)

Tags:
  2. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

You realize that some people with English versions of browsers and English OS can't display Chinese characters, and some computers can't display simplified Chinese, don't you?

Also, you know that intonations are important, don't you?

3. TDM Toast

Err the easiest way to learn Chinese is to grow up in a family that speaks Chinese, but that's an optionable tihngy, so...

4. Lammy 

Gnaw Dar Ney Gaw See Fadt!!!1!!!1

5. Mizura Meh

*laughs* We might consider that easy, but you do realize that when you put the Chinese characters down, for the non-Chinese speakers here those characters might as well be hieroglyphs, right? :amuse

A Chinese knows the logic behind the lines that form a character. For a non-Chinese though, they're a completely random sequence of ... something. It's like telling someone: "This means hello: twbhreafg" Person: wtf? :S

6. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

Mizura! What happened to your username?

7. TDM Toast

Well apparently it changed. Yeah, Miz got it right. I think that's how the whole "scribbles=Chinese" stereotype started.

8. kataimiko 忘れるものか この一分一秒を

but for people who want to learn, it is interesting and important to see what the word appears like in the Chinese characters.

9. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

Well, you should know that there are like around 12,000 Chinese characters in existence (all of the look different, and the most commonly used ones aournd 4000) as well as the fact that different combinations of Chinese characters will end up with a different meaning. On top of that you get the problem of the pronounciation having NOTHING to do with the character itself (most of the time). All this makes Chinese one of the hardest languages to learn in the world (which is one of the reasons why I went to Australia, because I don't want to study CHINESE!!!).

I know. But why choose a random noise that comes more out of your nose than your mouth as the username? That somehow gave me a shock. :p

10. Mizura Meh

No, for people who want to learn, it is best to first get an explanation of what the hell a Chinese character is made up of in the first place.

What's the first thing you do when teaching someone say... English? Tell them the basic sentences?

No, you start with the alphabet. a b c. You'd be moving along blindly if you didn't do that.

Edit:
    Spoiler: nothing to do with the thread, this is just about my name change
    You're aware that name-changing is a trend right now, yes? It's a dare of sorts: mods get to change your username for 40 days.

I'm Meh, because it's my nickname among some of my groups of friends (specifically the ones at the Hyuugacest fanclub actually). We all have funny nicknames there: Meh, Feh, Cheh, Whoa...

11. Blackvoice They're all pink on the inside

wow you guys are really negative, he was just trying to interest people in a language and you are all shoot him down

12. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

Because he's doing it in a wrong way. You basically cannot learn Chinese without understanding the structure of Chinese characters, which is something that cannot be done when your computer can't display Chinese characters in the first place.

13. TDM Toast

Yeah, you gotta be really careful with the tones. I would know. Fortunately my name is rarely used, so no one really cares about its tone.

14. Lammy 

SEK FAARHN LAAAAA!!!!!111

When you teach someone a new language, you, um, point at things and phonetically say them. Err in either mandarin or cantonese. But seriously, yeah chinese characters are bloody hard to learn the most. Getting a semi-crash course back on them characters too, as I'm also taking Japanese evenning classes :crying

15. Mizura Meh

No no, I'm not saying that how his intentions are bad, but it seems to me that he just wasn't aware of how random a Chinese character looks to those unfamiliar with it.

Really, for those of you who are curious, it's not that off:

- all of the most complex characters are actually composed of a number of simpler sub-characters, radicals if you want. There are about 100 of those, ranging in complexity, but with their own meaning. So when a Chinese looks at a character, he sees not a sequence of random squiggles, but a composition of sub-characters. It's like 1 to 4 (or more) letter words.

- after that, a character is basically a puzzle. Some radicals give you an explanation to the nature of the word. If you have the hand radical in front for example, the word refers to an action. If you have the grass radical, a plant. etc. Some refer to sound, so if you have a word with that radical in it then it's read in a way close to how that individual character is read (a character with qing in it for example - I can't type Chinese on this computer so forgive me for that - will be read qing or jing). Finally, some are assemblies of characters with a certain meaning. The character for "good", for example, is composed of the "woman" and "child" radicals, referring to the good relationship between mother and child.

16. Lingz Simplicity

That is definitely not a easy way to learn chinese...

17. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

Because that's how complex the Chinese language is.

Furthermore, to complicate the matters a bit...
    1) "和尚打傘" which literally mean "A monk holding an umbrella", but it actually means "lawless and absolute evil" because monk has no hair 髮, which sounds exactly the same as the character for law 法, and the umbrella blocks the sky, which is "no heaven", implying ignoring the heavenly rules which is absolutely a no-no for the Chinese.
    2) 流 means "flow", but "流星" means "shooting star" and "流動性" means mobility.

@Mizura: Oh, I see... but I'll just keep calling you Mizura since I use "Meh" when I can't be bothered to do something... :p

18. Lingz Simplicity

This thread won't work unless people want to learn single phrases, even that would be utterly hard. Chinese is one of the hardest languages I've come across, although I'm 100% chinese.

19. XxKaexX InsaneAnimeFreak

GUESS WHAT THE EASIEST WAY OF LEARNING CHINESE? Using pingyin

20. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

But even so that is still hard without intonations. Can you guess what shui jiao is? (It can be "to sleep" or a Chinese food)

21. XxKaexX InsaneAnimeFreak

Have you thought about the annotations next to it? I agree though... It does get confusing...

To sleep is something like:- shui` jiao`

22. blue_duck =]

What are people talking about? Madarin or Cantonese?

23. Sakura Active Member

i was just putting the characters up just in case some ppl could see them. maybe some of you guys don't think itz that easy but im pretty sure itz not that easy to actually start learning a language, at least u guys could be more positive about the whole thing. i mean, unlike english, there isn't any alphabet. what do u expect? u hav to start with sumthing, and some things in chinese are just not easy to explain...

24. Sakura Active Member

we're talking about mandarin. but then again, cantonese is similar in a way.

25. Saskue_Naruto Destined Hokage

uhhh it's not zhao shang hao....it's zhao an for good morning. just like wan an

26. ~XSinX~ New Member

i will give some phrases

Nei HO ma?=how are you doing.

see fawt= butt (lol)

also i dont know how to spell well so just read the best you can i guess..

Sik fawn= eat dinner

jo sun=good morning

ma laow jae= monkey (i think)

mo yeuw= dont need

mo sik= dont wanna eat

fawn=rice

ho dai=real big

ho fae=real fat

muoi muoi= sister

gou gou= brother (hard to spell)

ho seuw=really funny

saak gow= impolite (i think)

fun gow=go to sleep

ho yeet=really spicy or hot

fun= noodles

chasuu bow= pork bun (im pretty sure and the "bow" ir pronounced like "wow" with a b sound)

seat=ice

yeet= hot

chut lae= outside

haaum= cry

nai heim=dangerous

seuw seuw= very little

lae see= (those red envelope u get from chinese new year)

chow mein= fried noodles

chow faan=fried rice

i can go on forever but if u want more words and sentences PM me.

27. Sakura Active Member

hey :D that's cantonese!

28. Sakura Active Member

zhao shang hao is like student to teacher usage while zao an is just normal good morning

29. XxKaexX InsaneAnimeFreak

Where are you from??!! I don't know where you got that from but they definately do not say zhao shang hao in Taiwan. Oh well...

I know 1 Cantonese phrase and that's:

Lei Ho (I can't remember how to spell it >.>)

30. Sakura Active Member

taiwan is different from actual mainland china...