1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Least Favorite Book

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by jkingler, Mar 11, 2005.

1. jkingler

Post your least favorite book and why you dislike it.

I think this will be interesting to see. Please, don't get offended if someone lists a book you like! (<--Trying to protect myself)

The Great Gatsby.

I think it is pretentious, I don't like any of the characters, and I didn't care for the ending. (Remember, this is an opinion!)

Now, go at it yourselves!

Tags:
  2. jkingler

Wow. So apparently everyone else likes every book they read. Come on! Where are the discerning readers? *Waits patiently, starting...Now!*

3. SharinganItachi

I think my least favorite book was The Lovely Bones. It had a lot of *ahem* nasty stuff in it. It was kind of confusing too, and it was just one of those books that you have to force yourself to finish.

4. killerrabbit

My least favorite books are the Terry Goodkind Wizard's First Rule series of books. They start off good but then get lost on the path of plot.

Ni

5. BarbNara

My least favourite book was one that my teacher made me read last year... "Concepts of Modern Art"...God...I love History of Art, but that was soooo boring...If we talk about novels I think I hate one novel in Spanish called "Niebla" ("Mist"). But I think it?s because I read it when I was 14...maybe if I try reading it now, i?d enjoy it...who knows *shrugs*

6. killerrabbit

There Eyes Were Watching God was an awful book in my opinion; the combination of slang and a weak plot drove me to confusion and wondering what the heck it was all about. So I did not like it.

Ni

7. Leto

Wow i cant choose between The view from saturday, the witch of black bird pond, or the old man and the sea. :wink

8. Keramachi

The Bad Beginning. (from A Series of Unfortunante Events) I don't know how I got tricked into reading that.

9. ninamori

Worst book? Hmmm...

A Light In The Forest.

Boring as hell. I don't even remember why. o_O

10. killerrabbit

Grapes of Wrath I did not like, I could not get into it. Yes I know it is a classic but I did not like it personally.

Ni

11. princesstaco

Ethan Frome.

Had to read it for 10th grade english. It was about a guy and his wife. The guy broke a pickle dish (yes, it had significance to the story), got tired of life, and then rode a sled down a hill with his forbidden sweetie and ran into a tree in an attempt to kill himself.

Any book where you have to interprit *everything* (ie that whole pickle dish thing) to get the significance of the story should not have been written.

The book was just stupid. Plain and simple.

12. shadowtyphoon23

grapes of wrath worse book i ever read. woulnd not have to read it if it wasnt for class.

13. darkspark

wow, don't know if i can think of any off the top of my head... not that most people would know, anyways...
    "silas marner" - had to read that in grade 11.... terrible, just terrible.
    "old man and the sea" - (something like that...) i see it mentioned above, but, ya, it's really that bad. it's now "old man IN the sea", hopefully never coming up for air again... but there've been some others that just stun me at how bad they can be...

14. Orihime

Hmm, most of the book I read, I do so because it was recommended to me, so in teh end I usually like it, but... I dind't like this book I just randomly bought called "The Romantic" by Barbara something. :\ Worst book purchase ever.

15. cloon

god, just about every book i have been forced to read at school. The Merryl Of The Stones *shudder*. The Granny Project or something like that. I think that i would have enjoyed Of Mice And Men a bit more if my teacher hadn't spoiled everything for me, by explaining everything in minute detail>"so what do you think steinbeck was trying to achieve when he used the word 'the' in this sentence?"

16. Fairady

Any of Anne Rice's books after, and including, Tale of the Body Thief. I know, I know. Just about everyone else likes them and/or worships them as the gospel they are :eyeroll, but I think they're all utter crap. I just can't force myself to read through them.

17. Onmyou God

LOL, I hated that book. Grapes of Wrath rocked sox. :laugh

18. ghostgal

Laura eta itsasoa

(laura and the sea)

It was stupid, it's plot was shit and there was no proper ending. The most amazing fact is that the author won a prize, but I don't know if it was for this book

19. akuma no omoigakenai saku

The Wars by Timothy Findley and The Stone Angel by Margaret Lawrence. Had to read them both for the same class. The wars was just stupid in general, and the stone angel was about some crazy old lady running away from home (and it goes into some detail about how hard it is to take a shit when you're really old :sad :notrust :mad)

20. Siavash

books :confused what are books :confused no the last book was i think peter pan i read it half year ago and i think the only one so peter pan was the best book i read

21. Voynich

Meh..I don't like Mansfield Park. I had to read it for class, and normally I'm a very enthusiastic reader that gets trough almost any book within a week. But this crappy thing took me 7 weeks and I'm still not done. I can't get through it -_-;;

22. Aruarian

Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers. I just hate this book. I can't get through it. It bores me after reading five pages ( I'm in the middle of the book ) and I just can't seem to pick it up again >.>

23. _Gejimayu_

Agreed, Lord of D. There was a time where I was rather obsessed with LOTR (more like Legolas, actually XD). I went to get the book and woa, it was really boring. I think it was because of the writing style. The movie was about 10 times better.

24. Aruarian

I prefer HP XDDDDDD but, seriously, I enjoy HP way more than LotR... >.>

25. Ginnylin

haha.. i am an arts/journalism student.. so i hate every single theory book i have come across in the last 3.5 yrs at uni.. thats like 1000s of books not joke.
    but for leisure, i didnt see what was so great about To Kill a Mockingbird. A bit too conventional for me... i think thats what it was.. so long ago i dont even remember what i hated about it?? I am a bit fantasy/sci-fi/medieval historically based stuff, so maybe i didnt like the modern-ness of it?

I also agree with Cloon. Also some of the stuff you have to study @ skool which you LOVE, are TOTALLY ruined when you have to study every friggen little thing. e.g. i loved Romeo and Juliet when i was like 10/11, and i could like recite like 50% of it. Then i studied it in yr 10.. and i have NEVER touched it since LOL
    But sometimes, you may hate a book, then you study it and you fall in love with it. Go figure lol =)

*best books of all time - TOLKIEN ONES!! mwhaha*

26. Batman

A Separate Peace. I hate John Knowles.

27. Nybarius

The Catcher in the Rye. Because it's thin and fake, and I can't stand all the silly adulation it receives.

28. Shade Luka

When The Legends Die.............it's so boring it put me to sleep.........

29. Sakura Kaijuu

Really? Even though it is pretty intense with its graphic-ness, I thought it was really good. It was really easy for me to finish it.

As for my least favorite book, I'd say The Lottery Rose. It was a really stupid book.

30. XTemariX

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Diary of Anne Frank both put me to sleep. T_T