1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Fashion Leather and Fur

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by Kitsune, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Kitsune `★.。・:*:・ Retired Staff

How do you feel about leather and fur in clothing items?

Personally, I love both in terms of aesthetics but I’d never buy fur. It’s pretty messed up that we’d raise and cruelly slaughter animals just for their fur when there are other options to keep warm. Faux fur might be problematic due to perpetuating the look of fur (people seeing you wear it might not know it’s fake). Wearing fur is really just a sadistic status symbol.

That said, if you’ve ever touched a chinchilla it’s like a kitten’s tummy times ten. Amazingly soft. Who wants a pet chinchilla? Fur would be the way to go if you have no heart.

Leather is a bit more complicated. It’s a byproduct of the meat industry. If you eat meat you almost might as well let go of your personal platitudes and just accept the fact that you’re okay with subjecting other living creatures to cruelty and death.

I have a leather jacket that I absolutely love. Nothing cuts the wind like authentic high-quality leather. Leather also ages beautifully and looks amazing when broken in. Leather boots conform to the shape of your body.

Then again, people should probably stop eating meat and wearing leather. Beef production is terrible for environmental reasons and it’s not right that these sweet creatures are treated this way. If you’ve ever driven though Texas is looks like an insane animal holocaust.

I clearly have very conflicted feelings on these matters and I’m open to good arguments either way.

What’s your take on it?

Tags:
  2. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

I am very fond of meat, so have no intention of ever giving it up, but I would like to mention that goats are fair easier to raise than are cows, as they requires less land space and also consume less food, so, if the meat industry switched from beef to goat meat, that would be very beneficial for the environment.

As for leather and fur, I have a leather jacket of which I am very fond, for it is both stylish and functional, and, if it is ever damaged to severely to continue wearing, I shall purchase a new one, and I also have leather gloves and a leather wallet.

I do not own any fur items, but it is very fashionable, so I believe that, as long as the animals that are raised for their fur and hide are treated humanely and their meat used after they are killed, there should not be a problem with them being raised for that purpose. Even if that were not the case, I believe that humans need to look out for their own species above all others; wishing to prevent cruelty to non-human animals is a noble cause, but it cannot be pursued at the cost of forsaking humans who are suffering, and there are many humans who are suffering.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  3. Mider T VM Rapist

I don't really think about it much. In my opinion people will hunt (hell I'm one of them) and it's good that we use every part of the animal possible.

Like*

4. Swarmy An Inordinate Fondness For Beetles

I have a leather jacket and I guess that's pretty much all I have to do with that material :lmao

BEAST :wth

5. Zombie Shields Look! A zombie!

Just going to say that as a byproduct of the dairy and beef industry in general, the utilization of leather for clothing/tools/etc are an extra bonus to this.

Because if you’re going to be using cows/bulls for beef, why not use the skin that comes with it too instead of just wasting it?
    A reasonable answer. We already have enough problems just to keep the meat supply flowing as it is, and convincing everyone to become vegetarians is going to be well, easier said than done...

6. Nataly Zombie in Disguise

Sure, real fur coats keep you warm and leather clothing looks crazy good, but I would never support that industry and buy things made from real fur and leather.

7. Cheeky Hit Shappens

I refuse to endorse such cruelty and will only wear clothes that've been made by child slaves in the third world.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. John Wick I'd like a dinner reservation for twelve.

England
    I have a leather jacket and I've not worn it for years since I've been wearing other stuff.

don't care for fur since it's meh.

9. Itachі Man of The People

I'm not a fan of hunting purely for sport but I have no problem with killing animals for their products. I just see it as nature, obviously we don't have to do it but I feel that it's acceptable to do it. Animals kill other animals (if not then plants) for food and we are animals too. It might sound very hypocritical and stupid but I do love animals, I just see no problem with killing them for meat. Thing that annoys me is when meat eaters criticise people for eating dogs and cats as if they're much better than any other animal. That being said I dislike the idea of massive companies just killing animals for their fur and raking in the money, I don't find it to be particularly respectable. I think it's different when you're a company trying to make money vs an individual wanting a meat/fur product.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  10. Zombie Shields Look! A zombie!

Remember that the employees that are in that company need that money in order for them to survive as well.
    • Those employees are able to sustain their lives due to the fact that revenue is generated via process of killing animals for fur, as well utilization of these animals for other means.
    • This is due to the fact that despite what others may say, there is still a market for the products created the process of fur/leather, meaning it's not just an individual wanting a meat/fur, but an entire population instead.
    • Consequently, if the procedure of using animals to create various materials are to be outlawed, the employees that were previously doing this line of work will have their way of life cut short because of it, which could possibly lead to severe financial issues that the employee(s) may face as a result.

11. A. Waltz Everyone is a whore, Grace.

love how fur looks but i wouldnt buy it cuz id get allergies. if i werent allergic i might buy a fur shall or something if i were ever in the need for fancy evening wear.

12. Aphrodite Angel Eyes

I would prefer to wear leather over fur. I just think furry clothing or jackets look retarded.

13. Mider T VM Rapist

Forgot I posted here and I was gonna say the same thing I said months ago. Damn I'm consistently awesome.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Lewd Lewd x 1
    • List
  14. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

Mexico
    Same thing happens to me. Except with stupid shit. I see a thread and get an idea "I'll go in and post this really stupid post." Then once I'm in there, I realize I posted the exact same thing months ago. Then I get a tear down my cheek and think "don't ever change."

On topic;

I don't own leather or fur. I do however, love how leather looks on women; it's sexy af. Fur, on the other hand, looks very "showy," and not my taste at all.

15. Catamount Wreak havoc

Trinidad and Tobago
    Leather is not a a side-effect of meat industry. I don't eat snake or crocodile meat.

The modern high-tech textile used in winter clothes leaves natural ones behind in terms of warmth and durability. There is no sane reason to be wearing fur.

16. Yamato ANBU- Sadist

Argentina
    Indifferent to wearing them, but I don’t like it if people indiscriminately kill animals just for their furs. I’m fine with certain hunting though since you can put their meat to good use at least.
    I guess the closest thing I like out of these are leather shoes.

17. A. Waltz Everyone is a whore, Grace.

i had a leather backpack once, it was great. thin material yet never ripped or tore.

surprisingly i dont even wear leather clothing but i love leather bags/cases/covers ect love the feel and look. especially black.

leather shoes are something id love to get one day, i did buy a pair once but ended up returning them (they were red and i realized they wouldnt match with anything). i have leather sandals, hopefully will buy some leather slippers soon.

i havent worn a black leather jacket since like early high school though lmao. its just so heavy and hot.

18. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

The way I see it, if we're gonna kill the animals for sport or eat them, we might as well make use of the skin and fur. They're already dead, they don't need it anymore. :oldshrug

Now I feel bad. :cattired

19. Selena sono io

I don't care for either. I hate the feel of leather, and it's not aesthetically pleasing to me. Same with fur, and I don't care for when animals are raised explicitly for their fur or the material to make leather.

Fur just makes people who wear it look too try-hard for me too.