1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dragon Ball Drawing Contest pt2
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

7. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Discussion in 'Off the Air' started by Benedict Cumberzatch, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Benedict Cumberzatch Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon

Flag:
    Denmark
    There're just so many avenues in which this series excels; I cannot heap enough praise onto it.

To name an example:

Loosely speaking the series is split between 2 perspectives: the republic, which is stylistically a mixture between late 20th century sci-fi and contemporary 20th century western society, and the empire, which is reminiscent of 18th and 19th century European society. Technologically these 2 factions are equals, as are they from a military standpoint.

As you can imagine, despite both existing in the same time period, these factions exhibit a massive disconnect, but the way in which the story is told lends itself perfectly to handling these jarring differences. To be more specific, it always seems as though the perspective switches just as soon as the viewer begins to yearn to see the other faction.

When one tires of the more modern republic they are taken to the somewhat fantastical, formal, and ceremonial empire. It's rigidly divided into classes, as if for all their technological advancements they have yet to step into what we recognize today as the modern era. Its politics also reflect that era's quite accurately; nobles vie for power through showings of taste, such as hosting balls, or through gifting priceless art. Despite these archaic traditions, the empire does not exist in a vacuum. They are very aware of the world on the other side and quite capable of dealing with it. The fact that they choose to live the way they do never comes off as forced, but simply appears as a byproduct of being able to live and thrive on their own for all those years without the threat of foreign invasion.

As the rigidity and stuffiness of the empire begin to set in with the viewer, they are quickly swept back to the workings of the republic, a society that operates very similarly to our own, as you would expect. Of course, they place a great emphasis on their military, but the populace at large does not live like one with the constant threat of capture or destruction looming over them. The republic is definitely more casual, and it can certainly appear more sensible since it reflects our own expectations of how modern society should function, but it is not without its internal struggles. Bureaucracy and indecisiveness plague the upper echelons; the chain of command is visibly weaker, authority is often undermined, and one gets the sense that there is a general lack of patriotism in comparison to the empire. Even so, awareness of deep systemic issues like these do not stop the republic from appreciating the freedoms it has been allotted in exchange.

I was going to talk about other things this show does amazingly but I feel that I've already written more than enough. These are very surface elements, things I've noticed relatively early. There is a lot to be said about the characters, the pacing, the simplified employment of strategy for the sake of the story, the specific political maneuvers executed by various characters with completely legitimate motivations that continuously shake up the status quo. Hell, I've said nothing about the story itself.

LotGH is fucking incredible. Those of you who have not yet started it should do so.

Tags:
  2. Araragi <b><i>loneliness is a wave</i></b>

Ye I haven’t watched it yet myself but I plan to.

3. Lewd Global Moderator

4. Zeno Invicta

it's literally the meme that niggas always say they plan to

who do you know that don't plan to watch lotgh

my fuckin grandma "plan" to watch it

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Benedict Cumberzatch Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon

Flag:
    Denmark
    I propose Lew and Araragi host a watchalong. Afterwards, there can be prizes from some trivia. :aww

6. A I Z E N 宮本武蔵

Quite possibly the single greatest series.

Have the new ones Came out yet?

7. Araragi <b><i>loneliness is a wave</i></b>

I mean, I don't mind. We were already discussing having a anime watchalong a few weeks ago.

But LOGH is a particularly long series so a watchalong for it might be especially difficult to get working.

8. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

I re-watched it fairly recently because I caved after having nothing to watch and finally watched the Gaiden OVAs which I had left over for a rainy day as well as the standalone and pretty weak Golden Wings movie. It's a fantastic series that has topped my favorites along with Ippo since I binged through it over a Winter break a few years back.

I'm sure the remake will try, but I don't think it has any chance of surpassing the original OVAs so I recommend watching them instead of saying "This looks long and old and the remake is coming anyway so I'll just watch this". The original OVA series' existence is a massive aberration in anime history by being a 110 episode long OVA series (though split into 4 seasons, with some movies, and the 52 ep total Gaiden OVAs) as opposed to being a TV anime or some kind of movie series.

9. Eternal Dreamer The Bored Lolmaster

I watched it last year after the new series was announced. Have to say, it was one of the few times people were right about a show. It was actually good. And despite its length, I never really got the feeling that it drags on.

10. jayjay³² Drug Addict

If your question is, "should I wait for the 2018 remake instead?" - my answer is a fast no.

The remake is apparently only 24 episodes long and this is a 110 episode anime. At best, this remake is just eye candy for those of us who watched the original. It's just going to be a rushed attempt at adapting a fantastic story in order to make some money. Actually, there are numerous stories in this anime and the 24 episode remake won't be going over any of them. It'll likely insult the original anime.

110 episodes is definitely a lot, but this is one of those series where you're on episode 20 one moment and episode 80 the next. It should fully hook you at some point because this is really the pinnacle of high quality anime.

11. Altace Many Hands

I'll wait and see how the reception of the remake is before I give the old series a shot.

Hell, the main reason I've been putting it off is due that length. 110 episodes wouldn't be so bad if I was still in high school.

12. Lewd Global Moderator

Yeah 110 episodes is quite a lot. I struggle to make it through seasonal anime with only 1 cour worth of episodes. :catsweat

13. Brian           

The thing is the new series will only be 12 episode + a movie trilogy, ofc another season might be made but who knows how long that will take since season 1 is taking forever to come out.

imo the series is meant to be marathoned as one whole series for the best experience.

14. Altace Many Hands

I'm not going to watch the new series until I also hear that there will be a second season or more if need be. If it really turns out great, I'll just hold off until it is complete.

I've already started doing this with Gintama's final season, and it surprisingly doesn't bother me anymore that I have to wait.

15. GRIMMM The Black Empire

How strange this thread was made. I've just started watching the original series today.

16. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

LoGH is the best anime I've ever seen. I would also recommend watching the original, because the new series is understandably going to have a difficult time replicating the quality of the original one, especially if the new one is only going to be twenty-something episodes.

I normally don't like watching long series as well, and it took me a year to finish LoGH... But it was definitely worth it.

17. Catalyst75 Well-Known Member

The more I look this up, the more I want to know if there are any DVD or Blu-Ray in circulation.

18. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

There's a Blu-ray release for the entire series including the Gaiden. The only issue with it that I'd say is that for some reason they used really ugly replacement cuts for some scenes. This mostly occurs earlier on and it's jarring. It's in the same art style as one half of the OVAs so I assume JC Staff did them since they did that half (the Gaiden series came out as two seasons releasing concurrently in a weird non-chronological order). That being said it's still the best choice with it being remastered somewhat and in HD.

19. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

To help newcomers thinking of giving the series a try here's the watching order(s):

My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars (Film, 1988)
    Overture to a New War (Film, 1993) (and or episodes 1-2 of the Main OVA series, this covers the same material with movie level art and animation, but both are worth watching if you'd like though this is preferred)
    Legend of Galactic Heroes, Seasons 1-4 (OVA series, 1988–1997) (each season has a slightly different ep length and ep count for a total of 110)
    Legend of Galactic Heroes Gaiden (OVA side series, 1998–2000) (total of 52 eps split into 28 and 24)

In regards to the Gaiden, aside from one story it all takes place prior to My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, however it is meant to be viewed afterward, though I think it's more than possible to watch beforehand and can give more character to some characters in the main OVA like Kircheis. The Gaiden was produced simultaneously under two titles: Spiral Labyrinth (JC Staff produced) and A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights (Same studio as the original) but both mix in terms of watching order and when they were produced

The Chronological watch order is:

Spiral Labyrinth (Side Stories / Gaiden 2, episodes 1-14)
    Valley of White Silver (Side Stories / Gaiden 1, episodes 1-4)
    Those Who Revolt / Mutineer (SS / G2, ep. 15-18)
    Those Who Duel / Duelist (SS / G2, ep. 19-22)
    Golden Wings (this is a movie with no direct connection to the rest, but if you watch it, watch it here I guess)
    Those Who Recapture / Survivors (SS / G2, ep. 23-26)
    Morning's Dream, Night's Song (SS / G1, ep. 5-8)
    A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights (SS / G1, ep. 13-24)
    The Third Tiamat Battle (SS / G2, ep. 27-28)
    My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
    Disgrace (SS / G1, ep. 9-12)
    Overture to a New War (an expanded retelling of the first two episodes of the main OVA series)
    Main OVA series

G1 = A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights Gaiden
    G2 = Spiral Labyrinth Gaiden

Even if you go for the intended order rather than chronological and save the Gaidens for last I recommend watching the Gaiden in chronological order.

Extra:
    Golden Wings (Film, 1992) - A somewhat shoujo film with some alternate content that mostly just retains the setting and the narrator's voice.

20. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Those designs and some of the casting :scust

21. egressmadara Wanderin' About

Reuenthal and Schenkopp.... oh no....

22. Brian           

23. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

I don’t remember Julian looking that young, and Schenkopp does not at all retain his rugged appearance from the original... Also I’m not really that familiar with Japanese VAs, but Daisuke Ono seems like a strange choice for Mittermeyer.

Should have just modeled their new appearances after their original designs IMO. Yang and Reinhard look close enough, but some of these characters look ridiculous.

24. Mako Mankanshoku

Poor Julian. He looks like a blonde Kuroko stuck in a high school yaoi doujin. I can't even imagine what Olivier Poplan's and Frederica's design will look like.

25. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Oberstein is fine compared to what happened to Cazellnu tbh.

26. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Daisuke Ono can fit most roles really well so I'm not concerned. Some weird casting choices imo of seiyuu I know offhand are Unsho Ishizuka for Merkatz, he's usually boisterous older guys while Merkatz is really reserved and Junichi Suwabe as the dry Oberstein. They're both excellent so I'm sure they can pull it off, but it's weird casting.

27. [S-A-F] Femto my boy!

Shit looks likes Kuroko's Galactic Heroes now. smh.

28. Island In the Sun

United States
    Wait, what?

What's all this extra stuff? I only watched the 110 episode anime. I didn't actually know there were movies too...

29. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

It’s always been there. Now you have more to enjoy.

30. Island In the Sun

United States
    This is like Christmas.