1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Anime Awards for 2017 part 2 commences with the category of worst anime of 2017!

Drop by and leave a vote in the following threads: 1 2 3 4 5
    Dismiss Notice

Legion [FX]

Discussion in 'Comic Book Theatre' started by Suzuku, Oct 14, 2015.

1. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

I just started this show, and it's like a really talented creative team got behind a so-so project. I like it a lot, and it seems to be getting better as it goes along. I'm only on episode five.

But it feels like the actual scripts they're working with are sort of beneath the creative team. The directing, editing, shooting, cinematography, everybody involved in the production -- they're bringing a lot to the show. It's hard to tell through the fun artistry of the framing, editing, directing, cinematography, colors, everything, but there's quite a lot of bad characters and bad writing and bad dialogue going down, and a bad love story to boot. Lots of overwrought narrations where characters like David phrase themselves in ways they don't anywhere else in the show ("we fled, the wolves snapping at our heels..."). There are a lot of cringy 2000s X-Men era lines and exchanges that seem beneath the artistry of the production too. It is all a little overwrought, and that's probably more noticeable when you're catching up and watching more than one episode a week. But I like it a lot more than the netflix marvel shows outside of first season DD and JJ. It's real creative. It's being told in a real interesting way. So much so that it makes you overlook the bad stuff.

In the last episode I watched, for those who remember ep 4 of the first season, the eye guy shoots one of the mutants at the end and then he just walks off into the fog. He doesn't shoot again, even though there are three other undefended mutants just lying there and it's not established he's out of bullets. None of those mutants bother trying to stop him. He just shoots someone and then walks off. It's...dumb. But what was happening was executed so well and so creatively, and he was shooting along with the music and turning with the music, and the editing was great, the shots were sequenced creatively, and it was all so confident that I just sort of glazed over the dumbness of what just happened. I feel like that's going to happen a lot with Legion.

2. J★J♥ Vento Aureo

It feels that they don't have access to a large portion of marvel world and are just bullshiting around legion to shit out episodes

3. J★J♥ Vento Aureo

Now that i think about it.. Are Legion and his many personalities considered 1 character with same copyright or do they have different owners ?

4. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

I actually like the waffling. So far.

Usually the series stumbles when a comic book element comes in. I want less of that, not more of that. I think a little bit of xmen goes a long way. Look at Logan.

A lot to do with the parasite and the shadow king plotline was awkward in season one; there was never any reason for the characters to be figuring out what they were figuring out when they were figuring it out. Glasses guy is watching monitors about david and then starts discovering the show synopsis, presuming a parasitic entity is inside of david. But what made him think of that? There was no reason for him to think of that.

I was good thinking this whole series was just about a schizo / mentally ill mutant, and his powers were allowing him to start manifesting his mental illness into actual dangerous entities. I didn’t need any of the shadow king / prof x / xmen mythos outside of that.

Imo the more xmen it gets, the less good it gets.

5. Morglay .

I think it would be tough to make David's psychosis the main antagonist and they might've worried about the drawback from painting mental illness in such a negative light with some of his personalities being terrorists and shit. The fallout from "bad press" posted by webcam sjws could've been significant on such an experimental project. It's also a lot harder to write as you mentioned the writing is bad at times.

6. IchijiNijiSanji Well-Known Member

Anyway I was a bit disappointed with the whole delusion just being a monster but damn its dope to see david flexing his muscles

7. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

This show isn’t going to find a wide audience and should probably end on its own terms after another season imo.

It’s not bad. It’s very good in a lot of ways. But the show has so many distracting elements and its higher ambitions don't always mesh with dialogue and plotlines about mutants and time travel and apocalypses and telekinetic battles. It worked better when we were in david’s head in season one. The style was like an expression of david’s mental problems. It gelled. But we’re not in david’s head anymore in season two. The style really butts heads with the content now. The creative flourishes are getting more excessive. There are so many flights of fancy. David and memory guy are having a discussion about the plot, but they’re talking in an elaborate muted color wes anderson dining area where saucers of colorful dishes are floating by on rice lillypads, and now I’m paying attention to the bizarre setting more than the conversation. Which is maybe good, because the dialogue is pretty banal outside of the creative flourishes.

And then the telekinetic battle interpreted as a dance off. I mean, what? The glasses wearing ‘two people in one’ mutant starts dancing as he’s monitoring david while david is imagining a telekinetic battle as a dance sequence. That doesn’t...make sense. There’s no reason why the glasses guy should be dancing as well. The only explanation is that david’s so powerful that his delusion of a dance off battle is effecting glasses guy, who is in close proximity, but that’s such an elaborate idea to express in such a throwaway sequence.

And then there's the guy with a basket on his head and three black clad androgynous mustachioed androids who speak in front of magnifying glasses while standing posed in front of background artwork that distorts perspective. The show is way too uninhibited and could actually use some producer standing around going, "What are you doing, and why?" over and over and over again.

8. Morglay .

Well maybe you had a point until you suggested a producer (or in fact any management role ever (outside of sports)) served an actual purpose.

9. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish Moderator

Peru
    I'll be caught up before the last two episodes but these news are great.

10. Marcelle.B StrawFittedPirateボス Super Moderator

when you gon let me fuuuuck ms plaza :noah

11. ClandestineSchemer Well-Known Member

Really wonder how the finale will tie up the threads.
    It will make or brake this season for me.

12. Marcelle.B StrawFittedPirateボス Super Moderator

I'm just passing through to say FUCK Syd.

She's still sexy.

But fuck her :pek

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Ryxus of the North Blue

David's story kinda reminds me/gives me the same feelings as Superboy Prime's....

14. ClandestineSchemer Well-Known Member

So the Shadow king is manipulating everyone against David.
    The whole mass hysteria/witch hunt psych lesson comes into play this episode.
    Plus the quote about the majority deciding what is normal and hanging the tenth wise man.
    Not to mention the fools boat and who is truly the fool.

So many hints.

As for the whole syd rape thing that is dividing the fanbase, I'm in the not rape camp.
    IMO, David just removed the Shadow kings manipulation, therefore resetting the relationship where she normally consented like always.
    This was no different than all the other delusions he kept deleting throughout the season.

15. The World KATTA

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Marcelle.B StrawFittedPirateボス Super Moderator

she's fine as fuck bruh :dafuq

17. The World KATTA

18. RAGING BONER Rape Culture Enthusiast

wouldn't chase but wouldn't kick outta bed either :catshrug

19. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Honestly, she's average looking but her personality enhances her looks

20. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

Surprised this got a third season. The finale was the lowest rated episode of the entire season.

I like legion and it's memorable, but the show is such a chore to get through. Every episode this season had at least four musical interludes, and they've done that camera gag where they start the scene upside down only to gradually rotate right side up, like, 25 times already.

Somebody, anybody, restrain the creative team just a little bit. A tiny bit of restraint and the show would be 10x better.

21. Marcelle.B StrawFittedPirateボス Super Moderator

Yea they went way too artsy this season. They gotta tone it back down to first season status just so we can go back to understanding what the hell is going on.

22. teddy ♪ focused, feeling blessed ♪

Pretty much my sole complaint about this season and why i've been anxious about getting into new episodes. shit feels like it takes forever to move things forward

23. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

It's a weird bump in the road, because we've seen david murder people before. Mind wiping his girlfriend to the state she was in 24 hours beforehand so he can astrally make love to her isn't even the top five worst things david has done. Much less the shadow king, which fans are now looking at more favorably for some reason. Much less syd! Syd's done worse things than that. She became her mother, banged her mother's boyfriend and said nothing when he was arrested, all because she was 'curious' about her powers. She doesn't even seem to feel bad about that, or about beating up a bunch of girls because they called her mean names. And after david's sister was murdered, instead of comforting him, she got jealous because he might have kissed future her. And she also tried to murder david.

So everyone's taking crazy pills on that one. Don't get me wrong, I think david's crazy. I'm glad they went with that angle. But syd's crazy too.

Far as I'm concerned, the only good people in the whole show are the two gay guys -- Cary and the dapper twoface gentleman.

24. IchijiNijiSanji Well-Known Member

He actually tortured oliver in the final 2 episodes.

Interesting point, he asked farouk not to torture people in one of the earlier episodes.
    Another interesting point, Syd actually raped her mom's boyfriend and sent him to jail.

25. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

26. Marcelle.B StrawFittedPirateボス Super Moderator

He thought it was the shadow king because he's been using Oliver's body all season. Oliver being tortured is a result of the shadow kings strong manipulation. It also kinda ties into all the lessons they've been teaching us about how one idea is wrong but is being spread that it's right.

27. IchijiNijiSanji Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you mix gun control with racism allegories :wow