1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Les ****ing Claypool

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Catatonik, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

A recent convo between the colin and I got me thinking.

How is it, that with the amount of intelligent and open-minded music fanatics in here, there is virtually no Pirmus/Claypool love? I mean for crying out loud, he's played with Tom Waits, Jerry Cantrell, Buckethead and his influence is undeniable.

The man redefines the way bass playing (electric and otherwise) is percieved and approached. Banjos, he's done it, country? Yup, metal? hells yes, alternative? It's in there..

Hell Primus has NO genre, I mean, they are listed as Primus UNDER genre definitions.

Lyrically Claypool does it all, from rem iniscing on the old days of Fisticuffs, to slagging the cesspool that is the mainstream. Intelligent and ALWAYS witty, Primus (and Les' innumerable other projects) never fail to push the limits of music.

There are virtually no bands that sound even remotely close to Primus, and I find it likely it will remain that way for a long time.

Each Primus album is a trip through country, punk, metal, psychedelic and more esoteric sounds, all fronted by Les' unique and powerful vocals. Then there's the bass work.

It's godly.

Hell, Les was originally turned down for Metallicas bassist position cause they had no idea how to use the stuff he could do. Though there is also mention of the fact he refused to not be allowed to release outside projects or write any of the music.

Really, this is a WTF kinda thread. Like....if you DON'T like Les/Primus/etc..(and heaven help you if we meet in person XD ) then...why?

And if you do (which you should) why is there so little love?

Tags:
  2. cloin Rowsdowermobile away!

Primus is pretty much the most unique band on the planet, period.
    And let it be said, the first person to diss Les's vocals for being 'silly' or 'bad' will be branded a complete idiot and will subsequently be neg repped into oblivion and possibly raped. I can't guarantee anything.

3. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Let me rephrase this to sound ALMOST normal.

If you dislike Primus/Les, don't tell Primus sux, or u dont lik his voise.

Either give a good reason, or please keep your ignorant trap shut.

This thread is directed towards the forums intelligent music fans, and those who want to learn more. I have one of the most impressive collections of Claypool music around, and DAMNED I don't want to help, but I don't want to hear the same kinda shit that clutters up the majority of threads.

So, ingorami will be skull-fucked and then left to hang.

Thank you.

:)

4. DyersEve The Great Southern Trendkill

There's no denying the man's talent and influence, but Primus just isn't really my cup of tea.

And I dunno man, I'm getting kind of tired of hearing somebody automaticlly bark : "LES CLAYPOOL OMGZ!!!!!" when asked who's "the best bassist ever?" (Not saying you were saying that, mind you.)

I'm not saying he isn't one of the greats, no way. But I mean shit, there are so many other really fuckin good bassist that were/are in the world, and nobody seems to recognize them outside of Les Claypool. That kind of puts a dampner on my enjoyment of their music.

That's just been my experience, anyways.

5. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Dude, I love Flea, Victor Wooten, Jason Newsted and many other bassists. BUT, only Wooten has shown himself capable of doing the things Claypool does.

I am a bass fanatic, one of my favourite instruments..so, if anyone can show me a bassist who can outplay Claypool, I will give them my first born child.

Until that day though, Claypool is THE best.

6. cloin Rowsdowermobile away!

7. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Sorry, I was responding too quickly and not thinking. But my point remains, they are all brilliant bassists, who can play things most of us can't even dream of, yet Les does things to a bass that are almost unnatural..

8. Oskar von Reuental ?ロ?

Well, I've heard all about Les on other boards (Les owns you, Les is god, Les invented the internet, my Les is greater than your Les, etc) and I've been meaning to check out his stuff, although I never got to it, just like most of the artists in my "will check it out" pile. :sweatdrop So, what do I get first?

Admittedly, I'm a guitard before anything else, so I usually go for guitarists, but if it rocks balls, then I'm all for it.

9. cloin Rowsdowermobile away!

Well Larry Lalonde was taught by Satriani, so...

10. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

For highlighting Les' Bass-work, Anti-pop and the Brown album are the way to go, and if you would like, add me on MSN and I will happily share.

For true out there musical coolness, Sailing the Seas of Cheese and Frizzlefry are where it's at. (Note, Tom Waits guests vocals on Sailing the Seas of Cheese).

11. Oskar von Reuental ?ロ?

Thanks for the recommendations, although I can't send/receive stuff on MSN due to some school inanity ordinance. I will definitely check those out.

12. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

I'll see if I can't get some of them up on YSI soon for you as well :)

And other people.

13. basiK Ra!

His a freak a nature, the talent this man has just makes me cream my pants.
    Metallica turn him down cause he was too funky for them. I think its better that he didnt make it anyways.

Yer its hard to find a genre for primus, tho ppl just go ahead and say its alt. I just say its primus. :]
    They differently are one of the strangest bands ever but heck thats whats makes so great.

14. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Well if any band represented an Alternative to genres, then it's Primus.

15. akuma no omoigakenai saku El Chupacabra

Sorry if I'm one of the ignorami of which you spoke. I like Primus, but have never really listened to much of Claypool's other stuff. I can't believe I never thought to download it.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could answer me a primus-related query. This is pretty vague....

OK, one of my old highschool friends has a DVD of a Primus concert tour from a few years ago, and in one part of the show, Claypool seems to be playing a large, single stringed contraption with a lever at the top to adjust the tension. He plays it with a drumstick. It makes a sound that kind of....wobbles.

What the hell is it?

I think he was wearing a monkey mask at the time. I was at a new years party when we watched it, so there's a slight chance it didn't actually happen....

Now, I'm off to download.

16. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

I haven't seen said clip, my greatest shame is that I lack the Hallucinogenetics DVD.

It will be fixed soon.

As to ignorami. I was reffering only to people who feel that comments "Primus suxors" or "i dont like primus they r gay" are a good response.

The Does Rap Suck Now? thread is riddled with such people.

17. Efraim Longstocking Indeed

Les is silly... and that's excactly what makes him so extremely good! Though I think Trevor Dunn > Les Claypool... Sister Phantom Owl Fish!!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  18. Efraim Longstocking Indeed

There is also Billy Sheehan and Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten to beat him... Les tough may be a better composer than any of those. Dunn, though, still rocks

19. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

You know what you have to do, Cata.

20. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

I love Primus. Frizzle Fry, Sailing the seas of cheese and The Brown Album are ace material.

and sunny boy is back! wohoo, you're going to get a whole lot of records mate ;).

21. furious styles ☆☆☆☆☆

i dare you to listen to the guitar riff in the opening of "wynona's big brown beaver" and not cry tears of joy.

i've been listening to primus since i was eight.

22. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

Hey! Moe! When you send him music, send it to me, too!!!

*adopts the above as official battlecry*

I haven't heard anything by any of these guys, to my knowledge. What bands are they in? :huh

*goes to answer PMs and DL some Primus :sweatdrop*

23. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

I had to post here since I saw Primus stated in this thread. Primus is f**king amazing.

I haven't gotten any of there recent stuff.

24. louuster Im Back!

To answer JK, Wooten is in B?la Fleck & The Flecktones, Newsted was in Metallica after Burton's death and he's now in Voivod, Pastorius (that's probably who you meant) wasnt really in a band and I unfortunately dont know who's Malone :sweatdrop

I really like Claypool and he's definitely one of the best bassist alive, even though I usually prefer more straightforward bassist like Steve Harris, Billy Sheehan, or John Myung.

25. cloin Rowsdowermobile away!

Uh, Jaco Pastorius was in a band, and a highly influential one at that. They're called Weather Report and their album Heavy Weather was a milestone in jazz fusion.

Sean Malone was the bassist for Cynic and a slew of other projects, most notably Gordian Knot. He has written several papers on music theory and is considered the modern jazz fusion equivalent of Jaco Pastorius.

26. louuster Im Back!

Oopsie, I dunno what I was thinking there....:redface

27. cloin Rowsdowermobile away!

28. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

You people suck, I still haven't been pimped this. :smack

29. Mineko-Iwasa Authentic Celestial Lover

we are not your servants, nor slaves, nor your fanboy-army-feet-licking-brainless-musictards

be patient :p

30. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

*sighs* Simp, you're a good man, but colins right.

Bloodshed must ensue; XD

As to pimping Claypool, well, I am all about it, but YSI has only let me play one day out of the last like seventy. Hopefully I will have Anti-pop and the Brown Album up soon.