1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Let's Have a Thread About The Title That Changed Shonen Forever

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Spider-Man, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Spider-Man hear ye hear ye

France
    - First Jump mega-hit (first hit was Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho, the manga that convinced Kurumada to become a mangaka).
    - Made Jump reach 3 million readers.
    - Ring ni Kakero's success paid for major renovations of Shueisha's headquarters, with the building being internally nicknamed the "RinKake Building."
    - Until Ring ni Kakero, manga were based in reality (with some exceptions like Astro Kyudan). Ring ni Kakero changed Shonen forever -- now battles were more dynamic, with ''superhuman'' powers and special techniques.
    - To this day and age, Shueisha are calling Ring ni Kakero the, ''Hot-Blood Fighting Manga Bible", i.e. every single action manga that succeeds today owes something to Kurumada's boxing hit.
    - It was so influential that old Shonen became obsolete -- Kurumada ironically suffered then when his next title Otoko Zaka was cancelled because it was based in reality (was Kurumada's homage to Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho).
    - When it ended, Jump paid a homage to it, publishing its last chapter in full color. A feat only repeated in Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk, Naruto, and Kochikame.
    - Kinnikuman was going to be gag comedy. Ring ni Kakero influenced it directly (Yudetamago were friends with Kurumada) and transformed it into a wrestling action with special techniques.

While Fist of the North Star and Dragon Ball are more known, popular and definitely took the genre of "fighting manga" and made it what it is today, they didn't write the book on how it's looked at nowadays.

That feat belongs to Ring ni Kakero, and by association, Masami Kurumada. No other mangaka can ever take that level of accomplishment away from him. If you're a fan of titles such as Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, then you can thank Ring ni Kakero and Masami Kurumada for showing the way it's done.

Tags:
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. Fusion Well Known-Member

This is very informative; I will admit that I actually had not heard of this series before now, and, like most western readers, I had presumed that Dragon Ball was the most influential shonen series ever, to the point that I feel that it is comparable to The Lord of the Rings in terms of how influential it is and how often it has been imitated. However, being that this series predates Dragon Ball, I suppose that it could be compared to Conan the Barbarian, which predates LotR, but is lesser known; this is also reminds me of how Coven, not Black Sabbath, was the first band to have demonic and Satanic lyrics in their music, despite Black Sabbath being far more famous or how there are superheroes who predate Superman, but he is the most influential and most often imitated.

I decided to research this series, and I noticed that its art style very heavily resembles that of Go Nagai, despite it not having any connection to him; is that a coincidence (it likely is, given that Hiro Mashima's art style used to resemble Eiichiro Oda's or other similarities between art styles)?