1. img
    Come join the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 17th at 11:59 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Voting is live in the Contest Central Drawing Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Polls close Thursday, September the 19th at 10:05pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're having technical difficulties with regards to support tickets.
    Please refrain from starting any new tickets for now. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

Let's quietly & calmly discuss the pros and cons of the rep-per-day limit, shall we?

Discussion in 'Questions & Complaints' started by gabha, Jun 5, 2007.

Increase the limit, yay or nay?

1. I support the increase.

42 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. Don't support it.

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Makes no differance to me.

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gabha

Did a search, and surprisingly found a only part of the thread that mentioned this, it didn't even try to make a case for increasing the limit.

Secondly, I'm making this under the impression that the rep limit is around six (from much experience). I in no way ask for it to be removed, but do ask that it is increased if even to less than the one mentioned in the FAQ (10-20).

Third, should my recent outgoing-rep history somehow be brought up into this discussion, suffice to say it (meaning the history) was born out of frustration, and that my rep policy was hanged significantly after the rep system changed. Besides, my rep-usage alone shouldn't in anyway be used to deter the discussion of something that affects NF as a whole.

So I'll try, and also hope that you do, to list the pros and cons that we might get from increasing the limit:

Pro: People who deserve rep (both kinds) will most likely get more of what they deserve.

Con: The same could be applied to rep whores, and people who don't deserve negs.

Pro: With the prospect of more rep being spread around , people might be inclined to make more good posts and threads, it will also act as a deterrent to people who would've flamed certain characters or people had they not feared being negged.

Con: Some people want to get negged more by flaming and such, this might increase that.

That's what I've thought about so far since I'm writing this on an empty stomach, hopefully some people will bring more points to the table and we get to have a serious discussion about the subject.

Edit: Forgot to make this a public vote, can anyone please make it so?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
    Tags:
  2. Orochimaru

It amuses me to no end, seeing repwhores bringing up rep issues and constantly asking the staff's help in making their repwhoring lives that much more convenient. Don't mind me though and please ..

3. gabha

Why shouldn't I mind you, as you've taken the effort to give your opinion (no matter how irrelevant to the subject). Glad to to have been a source of amusmnet though.

4. Susano-o

hay thar Orochi :nuts

indeed, increase the limit; sometimes I find myself wanting to neg someone for doing really dumb shit, and then I find another member I want to pos, and when I pos or neg a person, I end up crying myself to sleep, thinking 'wouldn't it be better to pos/neg the other person, instead?'

But seriously, though. In the Blender, plaza and shitterbox, some people really make some winful threads, and then there are the occasional jokes and stuff from other members, and other people you want to rep back because they repped you... and when I can't rep back, it breaks my heart :(. I'm being forced to choose between people to pos rep, yet I can't choose. :cry

And of course, another major pro is that, for repwhores some people, rep is a driving factor or motivation to do wonderful things previously deemed impossible (my sig is a notable example). When rep is more plentiful, people will realize that, after they make a thread they spent a few hours on making, they aren't left with, at the highest, just one lousy noob rep.

And if rep is not a big deal, then you might as well increase the limit, lol.

5. Fang

I agree with the above posts (barring Orochimaru's own post). There really shouldn't be a rep limit unless its like ten reps a day, which can not be supplemented by spamming out 50 posts. But that's my belief of it.

6. Undercovermc

I concur. The rep-per-day limit should be extended.

7. PradaBrada

8. Zaru Retired Staff

Considering how much YOU tend to negrep, you should support this thread, actually. Picture spam in the Q&A, that gets some lulz.

I highly support the increasing of the rep-per-day limit. It can still apply that you can't rep someone more than once a day, but you can share your love or hate more often, which is good considering this rep system which gives out way less rep than before anyway.

9. Haruko

It happens almost every day for me as well. I run out of powerbefore I reach the really good stuff.

10. Sasori

11. Kakuzu

I've always wondered about the rep FAQ when it said 10-20 per day. From my experience, the most I've ever been able to do was 5 or 6.

I think Susano's post is a great reason to at least give gabha's suggestion a try. However, I don't agree with TWF when he says that there shouldn't be a limit at all. Having a limit is definitely good, but I feel that the current one is a bit too low. Doubling the current limit seems like a good idea.

Also, I like to be charitable to the new people on the forums by giving them rep for good and/or funny posts/threads, but I don't get to do it very often because I just don't have enough rep to go around. :( I know that many senior members don't bother to rep n00bs because they rather put their rep elsewhere. If there was a little more rep to be spread, I think everyone would benefit.

12. Fang

I said the limit should be no more then ten reps a day, and no 50 post count spams should add more to it. Noob.

13. Haruko

The FAQ lies. For ages after the old system was changed it still said one point for 75 points.

14. Kyon

There are a lot of people that I want to rep, just because I find so much win every day. And fail, so that's another reason. :p

But really, I support increasing it, to maybe 12 or so a day. I can maybe do 6 so doubling sounds good.

15. Aizen

i support this.

16. Spanish Hoffkage

I think is difeerent everyday :(

17. Fang

The rep now is you get assraped when you still think you can post more reps. I still think giving a limit of ten reps without the boost of 50 posts would be closer to the old rep system.

18. Spy_Smasher

Iirc, I've only come up against the limit once. Additionally, repwhoring does not particularly bother me (though I may have negged someone for egregious whoring once or twice in my life). I therefore, have no opinion. [/wastedspace]

19. gabha

You know what this thread is lacking so far? Any of the Staff members' input......

20. Sasori

Rep limit is proportionate to your reppower. Or so I've heard.

21. Pimp of Pimps

According to this, we can rep between 10 and 20 people a day, which is bullshit. It also says that how much we can rep a day depends on how long we wait in between reps. Assuming that is true, then how are we supposed to figure out how long to wait in between our reps? It would be better to be able to rep a certain amount of times during a 24 hour period without having to worry about the time in between.

I can't remember how many times I've seen a win post and couldn't rep them, and forgot to do so later. People also couldn't rep me for things I did.

22. Wobbly

23. delirium

Hmm.. I agree. I wish those damned mods would do something about this. Lazy ass bums. :notrust

24. gabha

How much effort would it require to change it?? Can't any regular Admin do it?

25. delirium

Nope. As far as my knowledge goes, only Tazmo and Mbxx can raise those limits. And we all know how much those two are on. :amuse

26. Spanish Hoffkage

I was gonna say rep, but I already spread a few in here. :(

27. Zodd

I'm against this sort of repwhoring. No increase is necessary, you have enough already.

People in favor of this suggestion are no doubt responsible for the limitation because of their incessant repwhoring. It's unfortunate you abused the system and got the limit instituted in the first place. Go cry somewhere else.

*looks at title* And we will obviously discuss things quietly since we're on the internet. :amuse Silly repwhores

28. Wobbly

29. Naya

I rep for each person per day is good, but I don't get enough reps for _every_ person I want to rep. I give more positive reps than negative, what's wrong with it? Is it that bad - to cheer someone up with such a small thing as a rep?
    So why doesn't someone pm or e-mail them?

Of course there are jerks who only give neg reps anyone they see, but why should we pay any attention to them?

30. Iria

Apparently any adjustments made to the rep system are made via the sadmins. The trouble with that is they do not frequent this place as much as us die hard NFers (lol) and also tinkering with the system is some kind of big ordeal.

I would like to be able to rep more per day as much as the next guy. This is a huge forum with lots of sub sections and they move more quickly than your average site. Each day brings another crop of insightful and quality ideas, that are worthy of positive reputation. It would be nice to be able to award all of the win-fulness.

But I understand that its difficult, and am not holding my breath =/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.