1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about the worldbuilding in BnHA...

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Keishin, May 18, 2018.

1. Keishin Well-Known Member

Worldbuilding. Expanding the knowledge of the world itself and its settings... Variety of different things, cultures of many kinds...
    The world of BnHA is based on modern era japan or so, so it seems like Horikoshi thinks we don't need to know more of the world - if this city is the main world then the little things we should know about its buildings, hotspots for the characters and city people - where important people live (wait.. do we even know its mayor?)... A series can go far by fleshing out old places as well.

Tags:
  2. Kor Well-Known Member

A lot of the poor world building comes from Horikoshi rushing the earlier arcs because of his worry about the manga being canceled like his previous work, leading to rushed endings or lack of foreshadowing or World Exposition. It developed a “exposition when reader needs to know basis” dilemma.

It is primarily an issue with a lot of readers(both eastern and western) wanting the next chapter and next arc ASAP. They want to see the good stuff right off the bat instead of savoring the taste.

The Yakuza arc was long and it fatigued a lot of readers, while the more mini/fast paced arcs did well but did not leave room open for exposition. Black Clover also shows symptoms of this too.

Hunter x Hunter gets away with being slower because of its history and style.

It’s one advantage the anime has because it can expand on or add what Horikoshi originally wanted.

I want to see what quirk laws are like in other countries though, like China or Korea.

3. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

Typically, for any series, If you have an expansive story that includes many different characters, you would naturally need to expand the world as well. e.g. One Piece, HXH

If the series, has a very limited storyline focused on few characters, you would tend to have poor world-building. e.g. Naruto.

You can get away with having little world-building for a long running series, but that means that the storylines in the limited settings would need to be great enough to maintain interest and complexity in the series.

BNHA is a fairly simple series, the world-building is undeniable poor atm. But, I think if you can make great storylines for the given settings, then you don't necessarily need to expand the world (though it would be nice).

So yeah, I agree with OP that you can potentially keep focusing on the same settings over and over as long as the storylines are great.

4. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

I don't really expect much world building in a setting that is in the modern day, its not like you have to learn of some ancient history or what countries exist outside of Japan. I would like to know the heroes and their systems outside of Japan, but its kind pointless info unless we start explicitly going into those area's. My Hero is localized to a Academy for would be heroes, so everything is localized there and it focuses on the personal struggles on those within it.

Even Hunter x Hunter wouldn't go into detail about something till it became relevant, and hxh flipped the world upside down and had so much new stuff to talk about.

5. OS The Entity

I don't need worldbuilding. It's basically our world but with heroes. I don't watch MCU for world building. I watch it for characters. Why? Because it's related to our world very closely so i don't need to explore much.

6. Keishin Well-Known Member

The way HxH handles its characters allows for constant exposition on how the world works though. There are barely any filler bg characters that can't affect the flow of the story in the series compared to its peers.

7. Kellogem Well-Known Member

I'd rather have him explore themes instead of faraway places.

Such as anti-heroes (guys killing villains), justice system, villain rehabilitation, some group teaching antagonists to use quirks like heroes have USJ (that Destro with the "special abilities liberation army" sounded interesting), villains born from heroes faults, kids trying to become heroes because of revenge etc... just make the society and ideals more complex.

With that being said, he kind of does a good job at that, bringing in different ideas. The jakuza was kind of uninteresting in that regard as the biggest idea of that was the quirk erasing theme, but still added something new, such as an old fashioned gang of criminals not overly crazy and bloodlusted. I think the arc was just too long considering how uninteresting every villain expect Overhaul was.

I dont think it would be necessary to visit other schools and countries and such, in fact as far as the hero side of the coin goes, lot of characters has little relevance while he keeps bringing new ones in, and things he can say about heroes are becoming redundant (how many guys we are going to have inspired by All Might or other heroes as a kid watching tv?)

8. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Well there is exposition on how the world works because HxH is completely different from the one we know. Hunter X Hunter didn't even show Gyro on screen and they spent a chapter talking about his past and how he founded NGL, which works because Hunter x Hunter is a adventure manga, its more about it world then most other series are.

9. OS The Entity

well considering they have TV's and it's part of that culture to worship heroes idk man. And I think only 3 of them looked up to all might with deku, baku, and todoroki.

Also the hxh comparison makes no sense because hxh is it's own unique world like one piece. BNHa is our world in the future with superheroes.

I guess if anything I'd like to see different areas and their reactions to heroes like the more countryside of japan but im cool with what im getting.

10. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Vigilantes spinoff kinda have world building, and exposition.

11. Kellogem Well-Known Member

not just All Might, but heroes in general, Kirishima Red Riot, Isane or whatever his name was Endeavor, and I might forget about other.s.. its just the inspiration everyone seems to have.

get it its a thing in this society, but no reason to show it for everyone if its just the same generic reason. show it only if its something different for once.

as generic it is to become a hero because got parents / uncle / whatever killed by criminals in the west, it would be refreshing to have someone with that reason in BnH, cause everyone seems to want to be a hero cause they are cool.

Villains should stop being villains cause they are irritated by All Might as well... how about some personal reasons? got some villain parents sent to jail by heroes to never see them again. Got caught in a fight between heroes and villains and got a fucked up body as a result...etc.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  12. tupadre97 Well-Known Member

Uh the hxh world is also literally just our world with superpowers and monsters. Hell they even reference dragonball and death note for fuck sake. The world building is better in hxh because hxh is a lot more mature and complex than MHA but hopefully MHA will get there in time.

13. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

The hxh world is different on how it operates, the only thing even resembling our world was in York New and that was about criminal organizations.

14. OS The Entity

>the hxh world is our world except for the reasons it's not

hxh elitists, everyone

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. iJutsu Well-Known Member

Does it even have any? Everything occurs in UA's inexplicably large school. Outside of some alleyway where sludge and stain where and the afo fight, there isn't much to their world.

16. Keishin Well-Known Member

It has little tidbits like how the world is now some mentions of chaos - villains, and the era of quirks.

17. Kellogem Well-Known Member

for bigger world building to be justified we would need world scale incidents, otherwise if something is happening on the other side of the world, hell, just Japan, why wouldnt the heroes there deal with it?

As long as the local villain organization deliver home for Deku and co, it would be unreasonable to going larger. maybe once the VA grows itself out and start to wreak havoc with different branches all over Japan. guess if that ever happens its going to be by the time Deku is a full fledged hero.

18. Tayimus Number One

I would actually love this. In fact, I remember talking on this site about a hypothetical character that became a villain because he was quirk-less. His backstory could show us how difficult it is for a non-powered person to have a productive life in BnHA society. I think the character was compared to Magneto, and the story would go into how being quirk-less doesn't just make you kinda handicapped, but also a second-class citizen...

19. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Well for now we have lots of stories how wrong quirk can ruin your life for good.

20. Suit I'm on a boat

These are sentiments I heavily agree with. If Horikoshi were to simply stick to themes like you mentioned in lieu of a lot of world building, that would be great. It would keep the necessary information at a minimum, which would keep arcs from running way too long, while still giving an interesting side to the story.

And the second quote there actually is why I really hate Shigaraki and AfO as villains. They're not original in the slightest, and there's nothing polarizing or otherwise interesting about them. Stain was basically the best villain yet, since I could totally get behind what he was preaching. Even Gentle and La Brava (more so the former, though) were far more interesting, as they were villains who had their hearts in the right place to begin with but were fucked over by society. There's so much potential in that kind of narrative.

It sure beats "I'm evil cos I'm evil lel" which is basically the Villain Alliance in a nutshell, aside from the poor bastards like Spinner who joined thinking he was becoming part of an actual cause rather than a "let's be edgy bad guys" club.

21. OS The Entity

22. Suit I'm on a boat

Not sure if you actually like mustache-twirling villains, or if you actually think Shigaraki or AfO actually have anything resembling a personality. And no, "I just like being evil" doesn't count as a personality.

23. OS The Entity

because there are multiple points where it shows they aren't doing this just to be evil. Only AfO is evil for evils sake but it works well since he's a contrast to all might on an ideal and personal level.

24. Suit I'm on a boat

I didn't get that impression at all. All Might is a symbol of peace, meaning that he strives to make people feel safe and secure from evil. I don't recall AfO striving to increase suffering, pain, etc in the world. He just seems to be there to antagonize All Might and little else. The only thing he's passionate about in the least is being Shigaraki's teacher. And that's just plain weird, considering that he doesn't even seem to take his role as a villain as seriously as he does his role as a mentor. And Shigaraki just wants to "prove to society that their justice is fragile." Like, okay then. That's incredibly vague as far as I'm concerned, and doesn't really warrant an entire story dedicated merely to bringing him down.

On the other hand, I'd like to see Stain's influence spread not only to would-be villains, but even to heroes and civilians who have been wronged by the system that was meant to protect them. Maybe even see the Villain Alliance get taken over by these fanatics who want to push for a change in society that would actually force some more thought to be put into the story. But as it stands, it's just gonna be "Deku get stronger, Deku punch Shiggy really hard, Deku save the world, is greatest hero ever."

For being a writer who's shown the potential to think outside the box, Horikoshi isn't doing a great job of convincing me that the narrative of his story will be very original once push comes to shove. And that's a shame since I do love the cast, and the fact that even side characters have meaningful impact on the plot instead of being a conga line of fanboys/girls to the main character.

25. Fry J Vigilant

Yeah you definitely missed some major parts of dialogue if you think AFO had no personality. He had already ruled japan for possibly centuries. He also had a reason for nurturing Shiggy and antagonizing All Might. Not weird at all. Neither AFO or Stain stories are done yet anyways. We already had several characters dedicated to Stain's influence.

26. Kellogem Well-Known Member

Shiragaki keeps giving hints about how he is mad cause All Might didnt save him, and very bitter... and that time when he was trying to recruit Bakugou he kept mentioning vague reasons next to the the VA members faces and I think they are hints about said villains background - I remember next to Dabi was something like "some of us suffered because of heroes" which would be fitting if Endeavor ends up being his father, and maybe the reason behind his burned body.

Also take note the villains taken out in the forest were all the basic ones - Muscular was simply a sadist enjoying beating people to death, Moonfish is a crazy cannibal, Mustard was just envious of the students of UA, Magne was somethingsomethinggaypride. So I think Hori is saving the villains with more nuanced and complex reasoning latter.

I think hopefully the upcoming arc we are going to get a bunch of decent villain fights including all the backstories and reasons for the VA members. enough of vague ideals, would like to hear some concrete reasons from them, I dont want to hear the words "society", "idol", "All Might", "fragile"...etc from their mouths.

27. OS The Entity

So you admit he's not being evil just to be evil then. And if you know that line then you must have seen hints that he was someone that suffered because no one came to help him because hero society believed that someone would save him eventually rather than take action themselves.

So you want civilians to join the league of villains under stains ideals like.... the league of villains that we have? :drake
    and it's already pointed out he is influencing heroes too

so like, do you read this manga at all again or do you just

28. OS The Entity

he's not mad at all might specifically for not saving him he's mad that it's because all might exists people are non-chalant of the dangers around them because they expect heroes to do the deeds just like in the first chapter with the giant and all might vs all for one. It was treated as a spectacle because they expected things to turn out all right. That's why i've said hori's setting up for ofa to be deleted or something because it's depended on too much as also seen with how they changed the rules in the license exams.
    i doubt we're getting them next arc. I think we'll get more serious or training stuff if anything but afaik they don't have the right tools to start some big villain stuff. Although a LoV centric arc would be interesting.

29. Kellogem Well-Known Member

this cover

this page with that blood and hand seems to suggest me its personal for Shigaraki over anything else.

30. OS The Entity

yes it's personal because all might's the reason that no one helped. He's not mad that it wasn't all might himself