1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

    Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Light of Hope IC

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Captain Obvious, Mar 3, 2016.

  1. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,587
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    Each one awakens with a rapping at their chamber door, a shrouded figure handing a letter silently through a mist like hand. On closer inspection, they don't seem to exist as you do. No more than a spirit, though you might be used to spotting things through the corner of your eye, but never one manifesting to this extent.

    Once the letter is taken, it gives a stiff bow and disappears into a puff of smoke. The letter is fragile, not unlike old parchment, sealed with an old Eslye mark. It reads,

    Dear Sir or Madame,

    You are requested to take place in the trial of Jarbin Mord. If you do not appear as requested at sundown in the end of the day, we will be forced to escort you to the courthouse.


    Spoiler: Local Knowledge(given)
    The Mord Murders, a double homicide of mother and son, shocked the city. The gruesome axe-slayings are still discussed in hushed tones around hearth fires ten years later. The trial that followed was a virtual circus of accusation, conspiracy, innuendo, and slander. The eventual conviction of executioner Jarbin Mord, father and husband of the victims, was one of the grossest miscarriages of justice in the entire history of Absalom’s jurisprudence. The instigators of the farce doctored evidence and buried their sins in the bedlam of the bluff’s evacuation. Mord’s trial was peculiar in more ways than just its inequity. It is the first and only murder case held in the very building where the victims were killed. Jarbin was the groundskeeper and executioner of the courthouse, and his lovely young wife and six-year-old boy were hewn to pieces in his attic apartment above the courtroom where he stood trial. Every week, on “Noose Wealday,” Mord put on his black wool hood and carried out executions for the court. After his trial, he was hung from the very gallows he once tended. The case of Jarbin Mord was the last to see the bar in the district courthouse. The doors were locked tight the next day, its windows nailed shut with boards, as if the crime against justice could be covered up and forgotten.


    A leaning monument to the district’s pain, this four-story courthouse is a crumbling marvel of cracked plaster and chipped marble. Once a testament to justice wrought in shining white stone, the courthouse is now a crushed dream. The structure of the eastern wing of the upper floor buckled long ago, and now the bell tower tilts perilously, appearing as though it might careen to the ground below at any moment. Two massive pillars frame the heavy oak doors of the court. The pillars’ surfaces run with cracks and fissures like so many burst veins. The doors sag in their archway like the drooping eyes of a madman. The surrounding structures long ago fell in upon themselves in supplication to the creaking courthouse. A salt wind blows up the precipice and rakes across the tangled weeds. The whole building groans as the wind blows, its tortured lamentation fading to a rasping hiss. This murmur never completely fades away. The sun sets in the west, the last slivers of twilight painting the courthouse blood red as darkness creeps closer.

    As you near, you see others, obviously brought in by similar letters. They are all recognizable through at least passing in the adventurer's guild.

    Some of you black out temporarily and get visions, others don't feel a thing.

    ((PM's Incoming.))
     
    Tags:
  2. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    21,029
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    Dusk does his best to cover up the shock of the vision.

    Bluff:
    1d20+6
    15+6 = 21

    Once it subsides he glances back to the letter mentally frowning at the precise wording. Before looking to the others he takes a half-step back into his room and looks at his bug-out bag, verifying that it is still packed and ready. He lifts the heavy bag and slides it to his back before stepping out again. If this were a trap it was just as likely they were waiting for him to flee, better to have others around.

    Stepping back to the hall he offers a slightly confused look to the others, "what's this about then? Trial was ten years ago wasn't it? They couldn't hardly need a new one, he's not exactly getting off for good behavior."
     
  3. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,587
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    A cleric clears her throat from the sidelines, a snake wrapped around her neck, wriggling for warmth, the symbol of an obscure nature goddess placed on her armor. "If I wasn't more afraid of what would come and get me than the place itself, I wouldn't have even come." she seems to hide in the scaly scarf of her's. "I don't like this one bit."



    "Who're you?"
     
  4. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    21,029
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    "Can't say I care for it either," the man says with a reserved tone. Then slightly warmer he adds, "call me Dusk."

    He pauses and gazes at the decrepit structure, "I suppose it's at least an interesting place for a trap. Got to give them credit for that. Suppose that's why so many of us are here, hate to go to all this trouble for just one person." His voice fades slightly as he talks, half to himself by the end.
     
  5. Nicodemus Praise the Sun

    Messages:
    7,099
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    391
    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Reputation:
    Beckett blinks a few times and makes a disgusted face, but doesn't say anything for a few minutes.

    "I dunno," he says finally, rubbing the back of his neck. "If this was a trap, wouldn't we be trapped by now? Unless this is the trap! Maybe we're all trapping each other!"
     
  6. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,587
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    The woman nods at the pair, "If there was a trap, it could have been triggered before we got here." she pets her scaly friend, smiling gently at Dusk, "My name is Sister Lilith and my companion is Terra." She stares wide-eyed at the courthouse, obviously terrified of the building, "You guys take the lead, I...I'll stay and watch the back."
     
  7. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    21,029
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    Dusk looks from the child to the armed and armored woman bravely taking up the rear and then back to the kid addresses the child, "keep alert, I bet you have sharp eyes. If you see something give a shout." He steps forward cautiously towards the door and inspects it for any sign of recent passage or any tampering.

    Perception:
    1d20+5
    10+5 = 15

    If he finds nothing unusual he'll open the door keeping one hand defensively back to keep the child behind him.
     
  8. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    11,410
    Likes Received:
    31
    Trophy Points:
    603
    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    Reputation:
    Kira turns the letter over in her hands after reading it, and then sighs. An eyebrow bobs over the lens of her shades, before she pockets it, and glances down the hallway, before hurrying along to the courthouse. She had no intention of being taken there by force, whatever that meant, and besides. There was a mystery afoot.



    Squinting at Dusk, she says nothing after studying the man in silence. She follows after Dusk and Beckett silently, her eyes naturally adjusting behind the shades to the dark interior, and her breath catching slightly in anticipation, hand hovering over her utility belt.

     
  9. Vergil Busy procrastinating

    Messages:
    13,493
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Reputation:
    "CHAMPIONS OF JUSTICE! My vision was Most disturbing indeed! A hooded figure looming over a womanly woman who was doing nought but KNITTING! Knitting I say! A foreboding vision indeed!" Dangil booms

    "Dusk! My friend of friends! Together we shall solve this mystery and bring Justice!" Dangil draws his sword and points it to the sky. "Beckett, trap or no, we must bravely face our fears, for our path is that of HEROES! If we are in a trap then we shall brave it and conquer it!"

    Dangil puts away his sword, charges forward and boldly enters the courtroom

    "COURT IS NOW IN SESSION!" he yells
     
  10. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,587
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    Dusk finds no tampering, though there may have been signs of recent passage Dangil bursting through the door made him lose any chances of finding anything out.


    Eight enormous marble pillars fill a great hall, holding aloft grand balconies. Years of dust cover the floor, baroque staircases curling like lazy serpents up to the raised landings above. A rusted chandelier above sheds the dim light of a few guttering candles. An impressive grandfather clock more than ten feet tall rests against the center of the western wall, its face decorated with guilty souls suffering Asmodeus’ torments: evisceration, force-feasting of coals, scalding blades tearing them apart, and other less savory punishments. The clock stands between a set of impressive oak doors and a lone oak door of equitable splendor, identical to another set across the hall.


    “Why'd ya haveta be so loud ya gigantic wall o meat?” with the words there is the snap of a match, the flames illuminating the face of a hobgoblin, a cheap cigar hanging from his lips as he lights it.


    “Oh, be nice. He may be able to get us out of here.” A rather buxom blonde woman states as the other candles in the chandelier bring much needed light into the room.


    “Th-that's new, but it sheds some light on the situation.” A gnome dressed in jester's clothes laughs shakily, missing multiple teeth and others broken, his yellowed skin horribly hidden by caked on white makeup.


    “Halgrak no like this place. Halgrak no want to be in this place no more.” A large half orc whispers, his smith's hammer in his hands defensively.


    “You cannot escape here. Once you are here...there is no escape until morning.” A heavily armored man nods, the doors slamming behind the party then, “I have tried to escape, you just come back here.” His white hair and large beard giving that he is an aged warrior.


    “Why are we even stuck here?” An auburn haired lithe beauty of a halfling questions, her crystal blue eyes filled with worry.


    “That's what I would like to know.” a rosy-cheeked old human man states his threadbare finery outshone by his handlebar mustache and a frayed top hat, he peers at everyone through his squinted monocle eye.


    “I bet it was one o yous that brought us 'ere an trapped us.” a dark featured dwarven man snarls, glaring sharply at the party, he has a slice in his shoulder and blood staining his shirt.


    DC 15-25 Survival checks bring more information.
     
  11. Kuno Unique! Just like you!

    Messages:
    10,401
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    393
    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    Reputation:
    "Whoa..." Anya's eyes grow wide and she runs a hand on her neck. "I almost lost my head on that one!" She giggles slightly about the vision she experienced. "Oh well!" Hefting her hammer-pick over her shoulder she races forward, just making it through the door as it shuts.

    The little gnome looks around the room and listens to the others. "I think it was that ghosty thingy that set the traps." She adds not really knowing what is going on. "But we better figure things out!" Grinning wildly the gnome looks around then at the doors.

    Survival:
    Roll(1d20)+3:
    5,+3
    Total:8

    Perception:
    Roll(1d20)+9:
    19,+9
    Total:28
     
  12. Vergil Busy procrastinating

    Messages:
    13,493
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Reputation:
    "Hmm...hmm, let's see if I can bring forth the POWER of KNOWLEDGE, to shed some light on the situation."

    Survival:
    Roll(1d20)+2:
    1,+2
    Total:3

    :lmao
     
  13. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    21,029
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    Dusk considers the growing crowd with slightly conflicted feelings. More people makes this a far more elaborate set-up, unless one or more of them were plants. Probably best not to get too comfortable with them.

    Still, at the very least they had been here longer. "So can I assume you were all summoned here as well by a mysterious letter? If you've been here a night already any thoughts to share? What have you found?"
     
  14. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    11,410
    Likes Received:
    31
    Trophy Points:
    603
    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    Reputation:
    Kira glanced between the others, raising a thin eyebrow. It seemed as though everyone had received some such of vision, besides her. Her eyes adjusted to the darkness of the courtroom, and her mind began to work, picking apart the details they'd all mentioned. "Eight individuals in here prior to our arrival...eight pillars." Her gaze turns to the armored man. "What did you mean when you said we can't escape? Until morning, or...?" There was glance towards Dusk and then a slow nod in agreement with his question as well.

     
  15. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,587
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    Anya spies a dull dragging trail through the dust towards the main courtroom.

    "Abducted." The armored man states, "All we have found is that if we attempt to escape, we return to this room. We have not gone any further."

    "Damn shame too." The hobgoblin takes a drag on his cigar, puffing the smoke out.

    "As I just said, when we try to leave by destroying something, as that is the only way to leave, the door will not open to the outside...We return to this room as nothing happened."
     
  16. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    21,029
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    Dusk shakes his head not sure if he believes the answers. "You've been locked up in here for a full day and haven't tried to explore your situation? It might be obvious this is a trap but if our captors simply wanted us dead this room would work as well as any other."

    "Personally I don't plan on waiting for them to show themselves. At least moving around we have places we can fall back to." Pausing to consider everyone he mutters a bit to himself before continuing, "I'll do some scouting around, anyone that can move fast and quietly is more than welcome to join me. Why don't the more armored defenders stay here and set up a base of defenses, if we come running it would be nice to have fresh defenses."

    Turning to Beckett he puts a hand on his shoulder and speaks firmly, "you stay here with them, keep your eyes peeled while the others are setting up."
     
  17. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    11,410
    Likes Received:
    31
    Trophy Points:
    603
    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    Reputation:
    Kira listens to Dusk for a little, her ears twitching anxiously before she steps after him, nodding. "Uh, what was your name again? Dusk?" she asks, glancing over her shoulder at the others as he trods off. "Kira."
     
  18. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    21,029
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    Dusk nods, "yeah, Dusk. I'd say it's a pleasure but, well, if it were all the same I'd prefer to be meeting in a tavern." He looks at the three doors ((those are the only apparent exits, yes?)) before speaking again, "can't say I like the imaging of the clock so I'm inclined to go the other way myself. Of course, they might be expecting us to think that too. Flip a coin?"
     
  19. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    11,410
    Likes Received:
    31
    Trophy Points:
    603
    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    Reputation:
    "I'm more of a teetotaler, but that would be a situation incurring less duress..." she says in agreement, then glances up at the clock, squinting at it slightly behind her tinted spectacles. "...intuition says this door is important."
     
  20. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    21,029
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    "Tea then perhaps?" Dusk nods slightly looking at the indicated door, "one door is as good as another at this point."
     
  21. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,587
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    As the pair investigate the doors by the clock, it begins tolling and clanging in a near berserk way, effecting everyone in the room, the sound stretches into their minds, assaulting them with visions of strangulation, death, murder by axe and gruesome disemboweling.


    Anya and Dusk get hit the hardest, shaking the pair to the core. ((-2 and -4 Wisdom respectively))


    Beckett stands strong, his vision before strengthening him for this. The jester gnome hiccuping and vomiting on the floor nearby.


    When hearing comes back to people's ears they hear a quiet giggling of a child leaving the room.
     
  22. Vergil Busy procrastinating

    Messages:
    13,493
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Reputation:
    "Such unrighteousness! Chums! Are you all OK?!" Dangil runs to comfort them. "There, there; better out than in as they say."

    "There are strange goings on afoot!" Dangil hears the child's laughter, "Ah the refreshing sound of a child's laugh, steels the soul, does it not? Perhaps they want to play?" Dangil says not fully understanding what's going on.
     
  23. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    21,029
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    Dusk shakes his head to clear it, poking a finger in his ears as if trying to clear them. "Yeah, okay, fucking headache now. Maybe we should all get moving? Unless people want to wait for the clock to chime 9?"
     
  24. Nicodemus Praise the Sun

    Messages:
    7,099
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    391
    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Reputation:
    "Yeah, we should probably go," Becket says, nodding. "That was, uh...that was something, all right." He gives a weak smile.
     
  25. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    11,410
    Likes Received:
    31
    Trophy Points:
    603
    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    Reputation:
    Kira staggers and keeps herself upright by grace of bracing herself instinctively, but looks a bit shook up afterwards. She checks the contents of her belts and then shakes her head to clear it a bit, and taking a deep breath to center herself. Listening to the others, there's an instant nod of agreement.

    "Staying in a hostile environment for an extended amount of time will eventually kill us..." She turns to the eight that preceded them. "Do you feel any hungrier than you had when you entered? Any more or less tired?"
     
  26. Kuno Unique! Just like you!

    Messages:
    10,401
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    393
    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    Reputation:
    "What did you guys do? You touched it? Didn't you? Don't deny it. I know you touched it. DON'T TOUCH THINGS!" The gnome was irritated over the headache she now seemed to have. "First we need to look. Then we analyze, then we touch! Don't touch!" She looks over toward the door and points to the ground. "Looks like something was dragged over to this door!"
     
  27. hammer Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    10,216
    Likes Received:
    61
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    Reputation:
    Knowledge religion
    Roll(1d20)+3:
    18,+3
    Total:21

    Cao Cao*Falls to his knees as he sees the visions letting out a single tear, as if overwhelmed, and then stands*

    * as he hears the sound of the laughing child he points in that direction implying the party should follow*
     
  28. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

    Messages:
    6,587
    Likes Received:
    20
    Trophy Points:
    493
    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Reputation:
    "Are ya daft?" The dwarf scoffs, shaking his head at the hulking chunk of meat as the gnome heaves again.

    "W-well that was a...rather horrific. I can't even make a joke out of that." the gnome shakes his head, wiping his mouth with his sleeve.

    "Finally somebody has the right idea." The hobgoblin grumbles, gnawing lightly on the unlit end of his cigar.

    Cao Cao finds the goddess' name is simply Mother, she is a deity of nature, protection and love. Clerics are of varied alignment due to the goddess's own varied nature usually leaning lawful. Though they are usually a bit more defensive based spellcasters. Followers of Mother live with their hearts on their sleeves and often become infatuated easily.

    "Halgrak know how feel. Halgrak need leave to get home for family." The half orc nods.

    "Yes, lets. " The blonde woman that was already in the building follows immediately while the others skeptically follow.

    There are a total of 6 rooms for them to go through. Double doors on the west, double doors on the east, two single doors on the west side and a metal door on the east side. The laughter seems to be coming from single door on the east side.

    ((And a hint of no more traps in this room))
     
  29. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

    Messages:
    21,029
    Likes Received:
    101
    Trophy Points:
    768
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Reputation:
    "Well, obviously we don't want to go through that one," Dusk says indicating the door where the laughing is coming from. "Metal door probably means fire, probably skip that one for now. Double doors makes it extra easy to haul big things into."

    He looks at the two single doors for a minute before nodding, "obviously right isn't right, that's what they want you to think, so clearly the way forward is this way." He points to the left of the pair of the single doors.
     
  30. Hidden Nin Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    11,410
    Likes Received:
    31
    Trophy Points:
    603
    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    Reputation:
    Kira glances up at Dusk skeptically for a moment, and then moves over to the metal door. She holds her hand above it to test for any sort of heat, wanders towards the door with the laughing to listen to it for any sort of indication of owner, and then looks over the hinges of the double doors as well. Lastly, she looks over the door Dusk wished to go through, closing her eyes and letting the palms of her hands run over the surface of it.

    "..."

     
Loading...