1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

Live by the sword Die by the sword

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by anime00, Sep 15, 2005.

1. anime00 New Member

does anybody live by the "live by the sword die by the sword" rule?

Tags:
  2. ninja_in_the_night New Member

ok i honestly do live by the sword and die by the sword but if you question it and question my honor you will feel my digital wrath...it is much harder than one would think it would be it involves alot of disipline and training to perfect your skill and your technique so before you say that that phrase is a cliche then you my friends are morons...because it is verry complex belief

3. Maleficent ∞tp

Someone I know lives by that philosophy...

But not me personally.

4. TDM Toast

Me? Ohhh no, I try to be more of one who reasons with harsh words, incoherent vocabulary, and long essays of comebacks, rather than actual physical combat.

5. less Cheer up,

What the hell is that supposed to mean anyway? Are you asking if there's any swordsmen here who would prefer to hacked to death as opposed to going peacefully in their sleep? Or is this more like a "if you're a soldier, you should be prepared to get killed"-thing?

6. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

Yes, immature 14 year-olds who watch too much anime and think they are all "bushido" and have honor then order some 300 dollar sword of the internet and hang it in there room like they are the shit, I had a friend like that a while ago he got normal though, just a phase.

7. earthshine Banned

live by the sword die by the swrod can mean anything violence related, it has notihng to do with honor, its just fact. live the thug life, die the thug death

8. Dark Schneider The Ruler of the Universe

Wow dude..thats just deep. Besides, swords are old fashioned, I'd much rather live by my Ak-47 :guns

9. Stormy Banned

If you replace the word "sword" with bong then yes, other than that im more of a watch tv and get high instead of maiming people with katanas guy:p

10. shinjuu Orly?

Its not that ak-47 is really a modern weapon either :D. Its a lot more efficient than a sword though ^^

11. Near Seeker of Truth

I think that pertained to an era where the sword, and sword fighting were common. Its hard to understand what it's exact meaning was. I have a feeling that you would have to be in that era to truely understand. but of you could use a different word interchangably with swords then, yeah I guess I do. I mean I like to believe that I live by my morals, die by my morals.

12. dylec .

Well, this can be one way to interprete it :amuse
    But seriously, the bushido code was applicable in the ancient time, mostly in Asia, Japan specifically, where daimyo & shogun were in power.

In today's world, replace sword with gun, such old ideas & rules have little value. Of course, there are rules, loyalty & honor in the armed forces, but not to the point of 'live by the sword, die by the sword' mentality.

On a different note, play Tenchu & you can feel the darker side of 'live by the sword, die by the sword' :tem

13. Stormy Banned

:cussing Screw tenchu... imma kill me some Terrorists on counter-stick source! :spank

14. earthshine Banned

the saying dosent litaraly mena sword, it means if you live a violent life, expect a violent death.

15. Dark Schneider The Ruler of the Universe

Maybe I should of said a modern modification of the AK-47 like an AK-74M.
    But most people would not have a damn idea what I'm talking about.:amazed

16. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

Lol omg I laughed so hard when reading this you deserve a thousand reps.. but I was a rep whore today so i can't even give you one...

17. ninja_in_the_night New Member

that is complete bull...honestly...i follow the code of bushido and i have for a while...so i think you both should lost reps...but thats just me

18. Ephemeral color of a breeze

19. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

...WTH does it mean to live by the way of the bushido.. can one of you please tell me how you follow this saying.

-A saying that's meaning cannot be understood entirely by this present age.
    -A saying you may think your following but are constantly comprimising if you had more knowledge on it's origin.

20. senisi CCT's apprentice

I do because it's hounorable....It shows that you mean what you say and you say what you mean...

21. road_rash martial artist

I tend to follow this way of living. I don't follow the normal bushido, I really don't like that one (you fail once, you kill yourself, what is it? Running away fro myour problems and not being man enough to confront them), I follow my own. If I had a choice on who/how to die, I would choose by the hands of another martial artist.

And whoever the hell made that 14 yr. old wh owatch too much anime joke, just because you don't have any honor, doesn't mean others don't.

22. earthshine Banned

honor is not dieing a violent death. u have as much knowlege of honor as i do about trigonometry(nothing) and the saying has nothing to do with honor, it is saying u die how u live, u live by the sword, a.k.a u are a soilder or other thing liker that, u are lily to die violently, while farmers and shit wouldent.

23. Goongasnootch 亀好き

If, in our modern age, you were to use "sword" in a philosophical manner in which (like many others have stated) it could be interchanged with something else then, yes, I do believe in such a lifestyle. It's like when someone is "sticking to their guns" even though in most situations that the phrase is used in violence (let alone a gun) isn't even involved.

If you were to more literally speak of the modern meaning behind that phrase it would mean that you should dedicate yourself to your passion in life even if it does lead you to your death. Die enjoying life instead of surviving through paranoia.

24. SSJKrillin Don't call me friend, buddy

personally i would want to die a peaceful death.

im not one of those people who say they are martial artists, (even though ive seen my share of wu-tang videos), posts some sort of taoist symbol in their sig or av, and makes up some bullshit about wanting to die at another mans hands for honours sake. this isnt a shounen anime.

and remember no matter what happens in life theres always a way to make it better
    Spoiler:
    smoke weed everyday

25. Lord Itachi Uchiha God

it like means that what goes around comes around.

26. footprints007 New Member

he who lives by the sword shall parshesh(die) by the sword.

well there are allot of different ways to look at this easiest way is to think I run around killing people I will eventuly be killed. that go's for military, gang member, ect. it's as true then as know

2nd way would be if you don't what to die by the sword (gun ect) don't live a life that forces you to.

3rd is: if some thing is worth fighting for then pick up arms and fight, don't stop till you win or die.

now do I live by this. in a way yes. I am joining the military soon (after collage) and hope to actually be able to live a warriors life. (I was born for it)
    As to a false sense of Honor in our sisity (group of people) we really don't have a honor code anymore. what ever goes goes so to speak.
    some of use feel that haveing honor is worth the risk. That is the way I feel

27. numerrik the numerrikal one

i don't follow that really, I, like most poeple, will tip the scales into my favor. i will also do a few things to tip it aswell.
    so in short i do not live by the sword.

28. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

... err this thread was ressurected... I live for adrenaline - that's my motto.

Also if you think your trully honorable.. your not, you live in a house, you drive a car, or take public transportation.. you buy clothes.. all these things are taken of te skin of others backs. Ie clothes made in sweat shops, food horde, unfair distribution of resource.. blah blah. If you really live by the sword, you wouldn't be posting on a forum- ONly person who has ever live by the sword in are current age is MOTHER TERRESSA!

29. Danny Lilithborne 我を愛する修羅

LOCK THREAD FOR ETERNITY

30. Lord Itachi Uchiha God

i think it means what goes around comes around