1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for Graphic of the Week 50 -- Contest Central Banner is live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Voting for Photograph of the Week 54 -- Landscapes is also live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Entries for Graphic of the Week 51 -- Dragon Avatars are open! Click here to check it out!

Entries for Photograph of the Week 55 -- Freestyle are open! Click here to check it out!

-- Contest Central Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to host.

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by strongarm85, Feb 12, 2019.

1. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

My lifestyle circumstances have changed again, and now I mostly have my mornings free 7 days a week and I don't have any other roleplaying games that I'm running or playing in.

Game ideas:

I've developed a proprietary fantasy world. I'd be more than willing to run a D&D 5e game in that world.

The world is strange place were people from all over have contradictory religious traditions and beliefs and yet in spite of the priests of those religions are often able to perform miracles (ie. Magic).

While there are sorcerers and bards with magical talents are fairly common.

Wizards are often shunned and feared and practice in secret. The reason for this is there was an incident 500 years the past where a powerful Arch Wizard suddenly gained god like powers that reshaped the world. One of the lasting impacts of the incident is that Elves suddenly appeared.

One of the twists here is that Elves are the youngest race to appear, even though they are as long lived as they are in other settings. Many of those original elves are still alive. Many people think the elves are downright evil servants of the dark one, and as a result Elves often live very far away from other civilizations.

Because of this incident much of the history of before was subsequently lost and there are ruins of old civilizations scattered around the world where people.

This setting was created with the specific mechanics of 5e in mind. In 5e every single class in the game has at least one archetype that utilizes some form of magic.

Tags:
  2. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

Game Idea 2: Star Wars

I've tried running Star Wars before. If I run Star Wars I will run the FFG Star Wars system. The game will be Edge of the Empire only. That means nobody is a member of the Rebel Alliance, while you might be force sensitive there probably is not anyone around to show you the ropes.

Don't worry if you don't know the system, the character creation process is best done as a group.

3. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

Game idea 3: I feel like also hosting a Fate/ series game, probably something based on the Moon Cell grail war from the Fate/Extra timeline. I could run it a couple different ways. I could run it as a custom Genesys system RPG game, probably the best system devised so far that can represent mages with human like characteristics and magical powers along with powerful Mythic heroes at the same time. The Genesys system is based on the Star Wars RPG but made more generic and moldable.

Otherwise I would run it as an open Play by post game.

4. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

I'm interested. Running to work now though, will comment more later :)

5. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

K, little longer with my thoughts. Generally I'm good with any of the suggestions you have, so whatever you/other players are most interested in.

I only have very little 5e experience, from one of CTK's startup games. But I can swing it. The only Star Wars experience I have is from your previous thread (or is it a different system?). And I wouldn't have any Genesys experience. But I'm old enough that I can probably hang in any given system well enough to have fun.

Or I'll just roll up a 2e AD&D character and act confused if that doesn't fit in to whatever's being played :zaru

6. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

I don't even think ffg star wars existed yet when started it last time. The downside of the Star Wars license is that the RPG materials cant be released in PDF form legally because of Electronic Arts' exclusive rights to make Star Wars electronic games, and a PDF copy of a Roleplaying game supplement technically counts, so any PDF copies you find are technically home made and technically pirated.

Genesys on the other hand uses the same system but with the Star Wars specific stuff ripped out, leaving versatile game that lends itself narrative storytelling.

7. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

In my experience having materials isn't a huge stopping point. If you can make basic creation rules that's generally good enough to have a fun time (I'm not imaging that I'll make ultra-streamlined character builds).

Worst case I can go buy something, though that will make recruiting players go from "hard" to "basically impossible."

8. Island In the Sun Moderator

If you're not attached to SW specifically, there's always Stars Without Number or Traveller.

9. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

The good news about Star Wars is that it's pretty easy to run with low numbers of players characters all, and combat is usually fast and often avoidable, and probably preferred since you don't get xp from killing monsters.

10. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

What about from younglings? :evil

11. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

That's different you get xp for character defining moments and events that.push the story forward.

12. Unlosing Ranger Praise be to he

Is it this version of starwars?

Spoiler:

Or is it this version?

In terms of story.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  13. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

The game is going to be what the players make it. I provide the framework for the story but how things progress is up to you.

14. Dragon D. Luffy Lord of Calamity

This sounds interesting. Never played RPGs online, though. How does it work? It's non-real time since it's a forum?

I'm fairly new to RPGs in general but I played a DnD 5e campaign recently so I'm not totally clueless. The other systems are new to me but I could learn them I think.

15. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

It can be real time if you use a service like Google hangouts or roll20 to do it.

16. Dragon D. Luffy Lord of Calamity

Well I have a lot of free time lately so I might play depending on when you guys wanna do it.

17. StarlightAshley Well-Known Member

OH, I've always wanted to try playing D&D...and BDSM!! :iria:iria
    can I join!?! :rotfl:rotfl

18. Dragon D. Luffy Lord of Calamity

I wouldn't recommend you let the guy above join, he's a known troll who just ruined a mafia game on purpose. Also hes probably someone's alt.

19. Clay The Writing Writer

I haven't played a D&D game for ages so I'm up for it.

20. strongarm85 Well-Known Member

I'm still looking to run but we've been s bit short staffed at work lately. My schedule moved forward by an hour and a half, and I've been picking up extra hours. Should settle out again by April.