1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

Lookism by Park Tae Joon

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by David, Nov 10, 2017.

1. David an accident

This Korean webcomic follows an unattractive loser in high school who one day wakes up to a miracle.

As the title implies, one of the story's main themes is portraying how individuals and societies treat people differently based on their appearances.

I would recommend "Lookism" simply if you're looking for something enjoyable and easy to read. Fighting sometimes becomes a central part of the story, but it often isn't the focus. This is not an epic and it doesn't try to be one. "Lookism" is a slice of life — relatable and comedic with its fair share of heartwarming moments.

Raw translations go up to about chapter 150 on Naver, while fan translations on Mangani go up to chapter 115. Line Webtoon has around 100 chapters and is putting out 5 translations every week so it should catch up to the raws within a few months.

Start here: The ranking (it should say webtoons.com but for some reason, the link keeps getting replaced with random words so I'm sorry if that's the case)

NF won't let me embed images or include a URL to an HTTPS image due to added security so I can't link any pictures. I looked this up and tried using several image hosting sites, but none of them work. Please let me know if there's a way around this. Thanks, White Wolf!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Tags:
  2. White Wolf the defeated Retired Staff

Sounds interesting, might check it out.

As far as images go, imgur has no problems usually have you tried hosting on it? :thunk

3. David an accident

It worked, thanks. I had tried hosting on postimage and puush, but both failed me.

4. selfconcile Active Member

I can't remember where I left off but I enjoyed reading this a few years back.

I feel like every Korean comic I've read had some really intense bullying, though, or at least high school boys beating the shit out of each other.

5. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

I read this a while ago when it was solely fan translations. Its got a good start but the MC setting out to improve just drags on with nothing changing. Maybe its improved since then IDK.

6. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    I forgot where I stopped.

And I did took a glimpse at the latest chapters, the art kinda went to shit and it doesn't seem like things changed.

7. David an accident

The main character does take a long time to change. However, it is a steady progression and more realistic than the MC going from cowardly loser to alpha badass in 100 chapters.

While Lookism is slow in developing its MC, imo the story more than makes up for it by having a fun cast and some awesome recurring characters ala Vasco and Joon Goo.

The art has never really bothered me. I know what you mean, though — the beginning had some pretty good art, and later it sometimes gets worse. But still, I would say it's nowhere near bad, and it's nowhere near as inconsistent as, say, HxH. Then again, HxH is a completely different beast.

8. David an accident

9. Morglay .

Vasco is the goat. My main problem with the drop in quality is how shit the eyes look sometimes now.

10. Araragi <b><i>loneliness is a wave</i></b>

Goddam though, it got kinda boring for a while. The fat bully guy is at a little least entertaining.

11. David an accident

Tbh, the fan translations on Mangago are much better than the official translations on Line Webtoon, but it sucks that they don't use the original strip format. And yeah, I also enjoyed Logan's return. He's pretty badass for a shitty bully.

12. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

I picked this up again, I liked the stalker arc was really good IMO. Im already starting to get tired of how the author throws old characters under the bus to hype up new ones though. Zack gets fodderized by literally everyone and even Vasco by this fatass logan.

13. David an accident

Yeah — I was hoping they'd each destroy Logan, but the fatass just got his power boosted by the author.

Still, Zack stopped boxing so it was understandable he got beat; plus, he's foreshadowed to get his game back. As for Vasco, I think it's likely the author will give him his shining moments because it's hinted he'll become twice as strong as before.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  14. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

I hope Vasco does. I wasn't talking about Logan with Zack I was talking about 138 fan translations.

15. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Here comes another shit on Zack arc. By the end of this arc Johan will have NTR'd Mira from Zack.

I'm probably skipping or skimming this one since I find animal cruelty just too sickening to read about.

16. David an accident

I don't think so. I read ahead to the spoiler-spoilers (past Naver) and he gets some pretty awesome limelight in the 160s. There's a godly cliffhanger with Vasco, too.

Spoiler: No new information — just an awesome panel

I'm pretty sure that's not just art transformation. Vasco looks even more like a fucking monster now. Hoping he gets to shine.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  17. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Oh what Vasco literally disappeared until then? I thought the 10k was just a meme thing

18. David an accident

Ah no, he didn't disappear for long. Line will conclude the Animal Cruelty arc tonight, and Vasco reappears briefly next chapter. He mostly disappears for one more short arc though.

19. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Daniel's cousins deserve a bullet to back of their skulls, unbelievably pathetic.

20. David an accident

Today's chapter made up for it. My eyes were slightly wetted toward the end.

The latest raw spoiler, though, is incredible. It's on 169 (170's coming out tomorrow) and looks to be, by far, the most insanely badass chapter in Lookism so far. Looking forward to Line's translation in a few weeks.

21. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

'I was scared he would kill me' :bookerskully

Me too but that's for Daniels sake not them. I wish the author had thrown in literally one scene of him fighting back other than saving the 5k.

I may just read ahead if my girlfriend translates for me since you're hyping it up. I might be able to get her to write out a trans script. We'll see though

22. David an accident

Naw, maybe ask her to do that for you, but I'd never want someone on here to go so out of their way for me or have their girlfriend waste time on helping me out. I can certainly wait for a trans, especially since Line's updating five days a week (until it catches up, I'm guessing). Maybe do it for yourself if neither of you are busy, but again the wait won't be that long. Thank you, though.

And yeah, I was also hoping Daniel would grow a pair and fight back in his old body because it's clear as day that his confidence is by far the only big thing holding him back. Vasco was in pain from blocking his punch so Daniel probably could've broken that kid's arm if he had the guts to.

23. David an accident

I could also be hyping the newest spoiler up too much because I'm a big fan of Vasco. We'll see.

24. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

This series has seriously left me wondering how unlikable you have to be to not have friends. Honestly they must be terrible people or have literally the worst personalities on the planet considering even kids who get bullied have friends.

Must be easier to blame others than yourself I suppose. You can even see it with this Jiho kid as exaggerated as this series is - Daniel reaches out to him and his first thoughts are "if I were you", not even a thanks or a thought of admiration.

25. David an accident

In-universe, definitely. IRL, it largely depends on your circumstances ofc.

Jiho's a loner but also an ungrateful piece of trash, kind of like Daniel at the beginning of the series.

I just read the latest spoiler and all I can say is... holy fuck. This is probably the worst time to have Lookism update translations once a week. At this rate, in 2 months, the most climactic chapter ending so far will be released on Line. Hype.

26. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

See, exactly what I said. Dude makes zero attempt to being friends and wonders why nobody likes him.

Hope this asshole Jiho gets a horrible end to the arc.

Thankfully Zack is knocking dudes out for once rather than being used as hype material.

27. Morglay .

Yeah Jiho's attitude is fucking pathetic but lets hope his bitterness subsides after this and he starts acting like a person. Or just gets killed off and stops appearing. Either is fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  28. David an accident

Zack giving Jiho a reality check and knocking fools out :bury:bury

Really hyped for the upcoming chapters. The latter part of this arc looks unreal.

29. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Aren't you ahead of these chapters?

30. David an accident

I am, but after some events it gets a bit difficult to understand important aspects of what's going on so I stopped reading ahead, especially now that the pacing has picked up in Lines version of it.