1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Attention contest participants:

Voting will officially be done by polls in GOTW, POTW, and Anime Art Battle. However, poll options are limited, so sometimes they will be split between 2 polls. Don't forget to vote in both!

Thank you, loves.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

7. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

[Contest] Mafia Hoster of the Year

Discussion in 'Contest Central' started by baconbits, May 14, 2018.

Who was the best Mafia Hoster in the last year?

1. MAD

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. iwandesu

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. jayjay³²

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Shizune

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baconbits SSL or nothing Super Moderator

2. Nataly Angel in Disguise

This is an easy choice for me, and hopefully Mad will win

3. iwandesu Moderator Moderator

>tfw you vote youserlf because way is obviously winning

4. Yoo Tan Infinite

Wad for sure.

5. Mider T VM Rapist

6. Didi Vice President of NF

Shizune had some really great games in the past year, especially RPG Mafia had tons of effort and love put into it.

7. RemChu † apotheosis †

I thought this said Mafia Hipster of the Year so I voted for @jayjay³²

10. Aries The Joker

Im overqualified for such a award thats why ive been given mafia host of the decade. 1 year doesnt cover my contributions to the community

11. Tiger Ambush

I just realized what these threads are-- they're the Teen Choice Awards of NF. Suddenly I have no problem with them.

12. Superman Well-Known Member

I would vote Shizune or Wad for this year. But iwandesu killed it last year with his games. Ya should play his games when he host them. They are fun.

13. baconbits SSL or nothing Super Moderator

14. Avalon

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. jayjay³² Drug Addict

I'm not sure how I got up here since I only hosted 1 game but I do think more people should be in the poll like Aries or DDL. That being said, let's be honest, WAD probably beats out everyone no matter which other hosts you put in the poll.

16. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    This is stupid. I have no problem with Wad or shizune winning as they both equally bring great games for vanilla and role madness reapectively but your running of this is bullshit Bacon. Why the hell are people who have no idea of majority of games throughout a year allowed to vote? Why are they not being vetted? This isn't even an actual award at this point.

17. baconbits SSL or nothing Super Moderator

I have no way of controlling who can vote in the contests, my friend. You can get angry if you will but it should be obvious that people should not vote in contests they don't know anything about. For example, I haven't voted in most of the contests so far because I don't post in the sections those awards are in. Blame the voters for being stupid if you want, but I don't have any way of controlling who votes.

I do have control of the nominations. I brought the nominations to people who run the individual sections and saw if they had any suggestions to eliminate trolls and nominate people who are deserving. I can't blame you if you think I haven't done that correctly. I own the nomination process completely - any blame there is mine alone.

18. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    I was under the impression you are one if the main people running this? Do you not see how this system is flawed? I could literally get a cohort of trolls to ransack threads and vote for person x. For some awards major subjectivity is fine, but someone like jayjay who has legit hosted one mafia game could potentially beat out wad or shizune here who have hosted multiple this past year and our clearly the more viable options. This isn't something like "who is your favorite shit poster". There is clear evidence that can be used to decide this and most of the thread has no clue about most games played yet still vote.

You could simply invalidate their votes, because I mean it's kinda makes the award null in substance if some newb who just signed up yeaterday can come and have a valid vote with no knowledge of mafia on the site. I mean if this is a popularity contest then so be it, but then the awards should be "which user that happens to host mafia games or has ever done so do you like the best."

19. baconbits SSL or nothing Super Moderator

I don't disagree with your conclusion, however... why didn't you nominate some of these people? I don't post in these sections, which is why I don't vote in most of these contests (other than Mafia player of the year, but I feel that I had an objective reason for the choice I made).

My power is limited. I can host this contest. Check. I can have people nominate whoever they want and vet the nominees. I did that. In my opinion I've behaved as responsibly as I reasonably could have.

I can't do that, my friend. That would invalidate the democratic nature of this event with nothing behind that invalidation besides my subjective thoughts on a subject I know very little about. How about this: next year I will host the contest and I will get posters from each section to help vet these nominees. That will add a layer to this process, and you will be one of those that helps vet the mafia section.

20. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    Noms aren't the problem... the problem is making this a free for all "democratic" process, when certain people are objectively not qualified to bote for certain awards. I'm not gonna go vote in the "whose the best artist" thread because i don't post there and am ignorant of like 99% of the content that has been posted there. Me voting based on someone I simply know dilutes any substance the award is supposed to have, and disrespects people who actually did shit.

It's essentially like letting people who only watch soccer being able to vote for the NBA mvp based on factors completely irrelevant to actual performance.

Which is why I said if it's just supposed to be some substanceless popularity contest then carry on but that's not how it's portrayed and as someone who puts a good amount of time into the mafia section, I think it's nonsense some rando's who don't freqeunt the section, or actually know the capabilities of players and host get to vote on topics relating to performance.

21. baconbits SSL or nothing Super Moderator

Well, I don't disagree with you, but... that's exactly how the NBA does things.

I understand your concern, but... I have no ability to control who votes. It wouldn't matter if I was an admin: I would still have no ability to do that.

So since I cannot do that we have to look at other solutions. Do you have any ideas besides deciding who can and can't vote? Because even if I wanted to do that I don't have the power to put that proposal into practice.

22. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    Pretty sure rando's to the game of basketball aren't allowed to vote for league mvp. It's not the allstar game lmao.

Not really. Just gonna be what is is I guess.

23. baconbits SSL or nothing Super Moderator

I was talking about the allstar game. It's become a joke in many ways. They should let fans only influence about ten percent of the vote. Anyways maybe I should do something different for sections that are so skill based like Mafia. Maybe like the AP poll, where each coach is allowed to vote but not for his team. Maybe I can get a list of mafia regulars and have them rank the others but they can't rank themselves. Maybe that would work. It would be tedious but it just might work.

No, there are ways. We just gotta think outside the box. I'll hit you up next round of contests. Each year I think the contest has gotten better but that doesn't mean there isn't a long path of improvement in front of us.

24. Shizune

Unfortunately most of the people voting here are Chatterbox users who aren't even familiar with mafia terminology.

Nobody else here is on my level as a host, but only people who actually participate in the mafia section would know that. But then, I've been advocating for forcibly confining all mafia games to one section for years. :zaru

I don't mean to sound bitter or arrogant, but losing this award is frustrating for me.

25. Shizune

The contest runners couldn't even be bothered to link the mafia games that are eligible for consideration, so people are literally just voting off memory and perception.

Suffice to say this is meaningless beyond the rewards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.