1. Due to an update, many default preferences have changed.

If you have any issues, such as unrequested email notifications or following threads you didn't want to follow, then check your setting here.
  2. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  3. Impending Naruto Avenue Reorganisation!

Want to learn more? Wish to chime in? Click here.

Magi by the creator of Sumomomo Momomo - Part 2

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by Tazmo, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tazmo The Supreme Cheese

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

2. Tazmo The Supreme Cheese

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

3. Swagger Wagon Snake Worst Girl

I'm conflicted on whether all the sameface in this chapter is intentional or not.
    Ugo looks like a handsome square chinned Alibaba. Sinbad is probably going to be Solomon's new incarnation. I'll bet $5 that Alibaba's mom/the woman beside Ugo will look suspiciously like Morg. Is Ugo or Solomon supposed to be Aladdin's dad?

This manga will take a very awkward turn if Aladdin has been surrounded by incarnations of his parents all this time :argh

4. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

5. Zaru ________________________________ Advisor

Alma Tazmoran taking over not one, but TWO of the first posts.

Anyway, loving all this exposition.

6. Sphyer ~

Glad to see Ugo's identity has been revealed at last :hmm

7. Swagger Wagon Snake Worst Girl

But what Gyoukuen does have the exact same silhouette as Aladdin's mom doesn't she?

I don't know what the fuck is going on anymore.

8. Stannis Based

focalor :pimp

she's the kou empress/hakuryuu 's mother whatever her name was methinks.

I think the magi that was speaking to solomon would turn out to be aladdin's father. and the leader of al thamen from the other world.

---------
    Ithnan is two in arabic btw.

9. Blunt Well-Known Member

They have the same staff. But she looks so much like Aladdin there. I find it strange that she was a boy in her past life (which is strange because I thought she didn't re-incarnate). Though, knowing the author, she could have just been a young boy-looking woman.

10. Blunt Well-Known Member

Nope, the one talking to Solomon was Gyouken. We still don't know who the other one is (probably Aladdin's mother).

Spoiler: same staff

11. Bakatohunter56 away fighting dragons

Why? What is the point of having drawn so many similar faces?

12. Wesley Guess who it is!?

The one speaking to Solomon was Aladdin. Gyokouen is the woman behind Ugo and is Aladdin's mother. Although, what am I thinking? That would actually result in Aladdin being an interesting character. No way it could be...

En (17) kneeling to Hakuei (12) was adorable.

13. Drakor Active Member

So Ugo is a Magi that turned into a Djinn, guess this means it isn't limited to metal vessal users and assimilated households.

It would be interesting if the one speaking to Soloman wasn't merely a person Gyokuen adopted ideals and the staff from, but was truly Aladdin himself in adult form or the "father" of Al Thamen. However I dislike this idea, since it makes a hole in regards to whom the "mother" in his flashback was during the arc prior to Magnostadt... unless that aforementioned scene was before he grew up to be a magi of Solomon.

Edit: Yea, I'll go with the simplistic viewpoint of Gyokuen being the villain speaking to Solomon while in her youth, and that Aladdin has not been born/created yet based on . Still its pretty funny how Aladdin rushed the story when asked who the person next to Ugo was...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  14. Dark Active Member

15. Saphira .

Apparently, Ohtaka said on websunday.net, along with the release of the new volume cover, that some characters are going to die soon... (btw, this is the tumblr of a sense-scans translator).

16. ~Howling~ &#32

On the other hand,that cover is awesome.

17. Saphira .

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be any main character though, maybe someone from alma toran?

18. Wesley Guess who it is!?

19. Roman B***h I'm adorable

^Of course you would.

I'm not putting my hopes on a minor character getting offed but I seriously doubt it'll be one of the main 3 characters (Alibaba, Aladdin and Morgiana).

20. Black Knight Active Member

21. Wesley Guess who it is!?

22. Malvingt2 The Normal Maniac

23. Roman B***h I'm adorable

Wesley thinks he's reading Game of Thrones.

24. Wesley Guess who it is!?

There's a difference between expecting a character to die and wanting them to die.

Although it's hard to imagine a circumstance where anyone would to be honest. Even during the Magnostadt arc, none the of shitty mages were killed. Pretty much fodder for a single arc and not a one was killed, even though it was a real war.

Like this little fucker;

I hate this guy, why couldn't he have been killed off? It was even implied that Mu turned him into a pile of dust, but lo and behold, he made it out of the arc alive. Why didn't any of those assholes die when there was really no reason at all to keep them alive?

25. Roman B***h I'm adorable

That's not actually why I said it. It's because you think every character should be a schemer or even a backstabber who would kill without hesitation, whether he thinks it's for a just cause or purely for his greed. Just like in Game of Thrones. Because Aladdin doesn't satisfy your standards, you want him dead.

You have expectations of this manga that don't even fit with the manga and the message it tries to convey in the first place. It really looks like you don't want to read Magi because you're expecting something totally different.

26. Wesley Guess who it is!?

A schemer or a backstabber? When have I given that impression?

And all I want from Aladdin is for him to suffer consequences for his actions. If he were content to just sit on the side-lines and think about boobs all day, more power to him, but he isn't and doesn't. Aladdin does and says things but is never criticized, never a word against him.

My expectations for the manga are based solely upon what the manga has established. Alibaba often wonders about what he's going to do, what can be done. He sets goals and tries to accomplish something and other characters actually acknowledge the things he says and things he does. Alibaba actually suffers.

Aladdin is just a little jerk off.

27. ensoriki Son Ganon

Hope its Koumei.

28. Wesley Guess who it is!?

29. Roman B***h I'm adorable

I remember your arguments during the war arc when Aladdin was doing his best to preserve lives on both sides on the conflict and you were complaining about how he's still taking sides by "attacking Reim" when he was merely pushing them back, without killing them, in order to save the people of Magnostadt, who were in turn target to Reim's aggression. I seemed as tho you wanted him to be taking lives since to you, he made a clear statement he was with Magnostadt even tho that was never the case. Thus my comment about you thinking this is Game of Thrones and not Magi.

Frankly, the fact that he is a Magi with the power to communicate directly with the Rukh in order to see into the past leaves little room for doubt. Unlike Alibaba, however, Aladdin has always had a much more solid state of being as well as a stronger sense of conviction over what he needs to do. This is partly thanks to his power, partly because he has a very innocent honesty. That is a quality that should be admired, not something to condemn as you always do (which further feeds into the impression you're likening Magi to Game of Thrones). This was a flaw that Alibaba has had and is the reason why he enters into self-conflict more often. Granted, this makes for a more interesting character because you get to see him grow, while Aladdin already appears to be mature in that sense. So the real question is: do you dislike him for his character or just because Ohtaka didn't really need him to grow throughout the series?

30. Wesley Guess who it is!?

The problem back then was many fold. Aladdin completely disregarded Reim's side of the conflict. He didn't know or care why Reim was attacking. Whatever problems Magnostadt presented, Aladdin had no interest in solving them. He immediately skipped all the small potatoes and claimed to be acting in the interests of the world...

Except, he involved himself in the war rather than deal with the actual threat to the world itself. He ignored the Dark Spot in favor of helping his magician buddies. If he'd at had said that, that waned to help Magnostadt for personal reasons, that might have been okay, but he didn't. Worst of all, even though he acted in a way that was against his stated goals and reasons, no one called him out on it.

No one lets Alibaba get away with his bullshit. Any time he acts indecisive or like an idiot, people clamp down on him.

Aladdin doesn't have doubts or has confidence because he knows what's right. He doesn't have doubts or has confidence because he doesn't have to do anything and has no responsibilities. He doesn't have to worry about the consequences of his actions. he just does whatever he wants and gets away with it.

Alibaba is compelling because he has doubts for good reasons. The situations he faces are ones that don't have easy answers to them. No one in Alibaba's position with the kind of power Alibaba has could manage to do better, which is what makes him sympathetic and likable.

Aladdin? It took 200 chapters to give Aladdin a pet project to call his own and when it comes down to it, I'm sure he'll more or less snap his fingers and purify the black rukh at the cost of no one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.