1. Due to an update, many default preferences have changed.

If you have any issues, such as unrequested email notifications or following threads you didn't want to follow, then check your setting here.
  2. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  3. Please, vote for the next Naruto Battledome banner in this thread.
  4. Impending Naruto Avenue Reorganisation!

Want to learn more? Wish to chime in? Click here.

Manga Recommendations

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by Platypus, May 5, 2016.

1. Platypus Moderator

Post here if you want to recommend manga or ask for a recommendation.

Keep in mind that this is not the place to discuss those recommendations. Anything resembling a debate (as to whether someone's rec is good or not) will be removed. For that kind of stuff, go to one of the subforums and sections listed below. Obvious troll recs and dank meme will be deleted as well.

Spoiler: Example of what a good recommendation post looks like

A list of sections on Narutoforums dedicated to discussing manga series other than Naruto:

2. SupremeKage ......

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Cordelia ded Advisor

Creator(s)* ONE (webcomics), Yusuke Murata (manga adaptation)
    Genre(s) & Theme(s)* Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Seinen, Supernatural
    Short synopsis* Follows the life of an average hero who manages to win all battles with only one punch. This ability seems to frustrate him as he no longer feels the thrill and adrenaline of fighting a tough battle, which leads to him questioning his past desire of being strong.
    Why you recommend it* it is unique, hilarious, entertaining, and the manga illustration is one of the best you'll ever see
    Things that might turn off potential readers* Inconsistent chapter releases. It's also a parody series, so if you're looking for something that is serious or "complicated" story, this series isn't for you.
    Link to NF Thread or Section*

4. fuff Maybe next time ;)

too lazy to write all that info but check out platniums end if u liked death note

5. Taylor

This ones been finished for a while now but check it out for shits and giggles. Beelzebub

6. Cordelia ded Advisor

Creator(s)* Yoshihiro Togashi
    Genre(s) & Theme(s)* Action, Adventure, Fantasy
    Short synopsis* Gon Freecss, a 12-year-old boy with the hope of finding his missing father, sets out on a quest to take the Hunter Exam. Along the way, he picks up three companions who also aim to take the dangerous test: the revenge-seeking Kurapika, aspiring doctor Leorio Paladiknight, and a mischievous child the same age as Gon, Killua Zoldyck. Hunter x Hunter is a classic shounen that follows the story of four aspiring hunters as they embark on a perilous adventure, fighting for their dreams while defying the odds. [MyAnimeList]
    Why you recommend it* If you love Naruto, you'll most likely be drawn to HxH too since there are a lot of similarities between the two.
    Things that might turn off potential readers* Constant hiatuses.

7. Catamount see a dog on the pitch

Creator(s) John&Jenna
    Genre(s) & Theme(s) Manhwa, real life, cats, relationship, life choices, social
    Short synopsis this is a manhwa of a perfect length for such topic. It depicts a story of a young girl who had to skip a year of her life to cure after a car crash. She feels depressed because everyone around her is younger and she constantly questions her adulthood. She seeks solitude in taking little care of a cat she sees often near her school. And she meets a boy, who is younger than her, but makes choices wizely. While their relationship develops, they also accept the upcoming adulthood, make some social connections, change minds of their own and other people, meet lucky and unlucky situations. Cats brought them together and cats are gently purring from almost every page, but there are complicated questions like homeless animals, people who lack sympathy and understanding, being dependent on social approval.
    Why you recommend it because I felt both sad and happy after reading it. It's colored and the art is gorgeous. It made me jealous.
    Things that might turn off potential readers it's not vanilla. If you prefer to close your eyes and ignore dramatic situations with animals, you won't handle even this. Otherwise no turn-offs.

Some pages:
    Spoiler:

8. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Title: Rurouni Kenshin
    Creator(s): Nobuhiro Watsuki
    Genre(s) & Theme(s): Historical Fiction, Action, Samurai Genre, Romance
    Short synopsis: Set in the Meiji Era, an ex military assassin; Kenshin Himura, becomes a Rounin or "wandering swordsman" and roams the countryside offering protection and assistance to various people to atone for his sins against humanity. Kenshin refuses to kill and carries his signature blunt edge sword around as a symbol of this vow. When roaming one day he meets a girl named Kamiya Kaoru, a young woman struggling to keep her father's dojo afloat, Sagara Sanosuke a delinquent fighter who begins as a rival to Kenshin, and Myōjin Yahiko, the unfortunate orphan of a low class samurai family. Together the quartet must live through the harsh political turmoil and corruption of the time while also dealing with their own personal convictions. Kenshin's vow to not commit murder is continuously tested throughout the series as he engages in a slew of high octane sword fights. Kenshin's past not only mentally haunts him, but phantoms and friend alike from the past also rear their head into his life leading to many enjoyable rivalries, secondary characters, and storylines.
    Why you recommend it: Despite being a shonen it is very realistic and more mature than the standard pool. The themes and concepts such as the value of human life, atonement for past actions, and even the progression of all natural life touch deep and are solidified by the characters meant to represent them. Rarely if ever will you be disappointed with the writing, even if not Vagabond tier. Despite that it also brings the action, and some of the best choreographed fight scenes I have seen in anime. Watsuki really knows how to set up a fight and convey emotion and drive in pretty much every relevant character who fights for their own motivations blurring the line between right and wrong. The action is also not all completely katana-sword based and leaves room for more diverse (yet relatively realistically founded) fighting styles. The romance, while not a major proponent to the story, does appear and is well written when it does. Once again, not top tier, but nothing like bottom tier Inuyasha-Kagome stuff, or nonsensical Naruto-Hinata dynamics. In fact, I believe reading the manga and then following it up with the OVA "Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal" is the best way to fully understand Kenshin's true story and get more of the romantic context behind Kenshin's life and some of the factors that lead to his change.
    Things that might turn off potential readers: This is not very superhuman verse. So the action and damage potential is extremely low. Some people think the art is meh, but that's debatable. If you're a Bada level critic than don't come into this thing expecting Vagabond type narrative and story telling, this is indeed still a shonen. I've never really heard anyone say that hate Rurouni Kenshin even if it wasn't their cup of tea so I can't really say much else here.
    Link to NF Thread or Section: Not sure if there is one given it ended some time ago.

9. Imagine //\\

Title:
    Houshin Engi, Soul Hunter, Senkai-den Houshin Engi
    Creator(s): Fujisaki, Ryuu
    Genre(s) & Theme(s): Action, adventure, fantasy, supernatural, sci-fi, drama, comedy, shounen
    Short synopsis: When his clan is wiped out by a beautiful demon, young Taikobo finds himself in charge of the mysterious Hoshin Project. Its mission: find all immortals living in the human world and seal them away forever. But who do you trust--and whose side are you really on--when you've been trained to hunt demons by a demon?
    Why you recommend it: Houshin Engi is not what it seems on the surface. It's about war, politics, the cycle of life and the psychological aspects that comes with these themes. The world is thoroughly unique. Fujisaki's art and settings are one of a kind. He combines supernatural with sci-fi along with Chinese mythology. The main character is not your typical shounen main character. Taikoubou is very intelligent and isn't above cheating or sacrifice. His wit is similar to Joseph Joestar from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. He always has a back up plan and is they are satisfactory to see play out.
    Things that might turn off potential readers: The comedy. Houshin Engi is very serious but also very comedical. One of the main plot points is that the main character isn't serious enough at time and some readers may find this to be annoying, but it's all apart of Taikoubou's plan so don't give up on it.
    Link to NF Thread or Section

10. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Title: Nanatsu no Taizai
    Creator(s): Nakaba Suzuki
    Genre(s) & Theme(s): Action, Adventure, Medieval, Romance, slight Ecchi
    Short synopsis: Meet Meliodas! Set in medieval Brittania Meliodas is an unusually short statured bar owner, that of which resides on the back of a large burrowing pig. One fateful day a princess named Elizabeth seeks out help in order to combat a covert coup d'etat on the Kingdom of Lioness. Meliodas accepting the task seeks out his old knighthood entitled " The Seven Deadly Sins" who were mysteriously cast out of the castle after ambiguous circumstances revolving around the murder of a prominent knight. Things begin to get deeper and deeper as the fates of multiple species including humans, fairies, giants, vampires, and demons begin to intermingle, shedding light not only on the backgrounds of our cast, but also on the shrouded past of the verse. The Sins must overcome their muddled pasts, strong enemies, and even themselves if they wish to save Brittania and even the whole world.
    Why you recommend it: I was drawn to this series after quite some time of wanting nothing to do with it. At first glance it is very reminiscent of a typical medieval set RPG type action anime. The action is a staple of the series from the door with even fodder being very strong in comparison to regular humans. Characters have specific and inherent powers which makes people much more diverse. But action is not the only draw here. The story is very entertaining to follow and while universal over arching themes have yet to become founded as strong, the characters and their backstories serve as the "depth" of the story for now and their dynamics make it very satisfying to follow. The characters are a huge draw themselves. I've never really read a story where I Iike nearly every character. Really, if I had to pindown one X factor of the series it would be the shadowing of Mel's personality. Because he is a very mysterious and secretive person who on the surface is aloof and eccentric, the story is very dynamic and one may not expect every twist and turn throughout. Regardless, you should have fun on the ride.
    Things that might turn off potential readers: As previously stated when this became popular I wanted nothing to do with it. Without actually watching it there are immediate similarities to Fairytail both in the mood and art. Meliodas likewise has an animal mascot friend named Hawk (albeit he is a boss). Unlike "Fairytail" though I believe the story carries a more consistent air of tension and maturity. That being said this series is not without it's goofiness, or nakama powerups (no where near FT level). Perhaps one of the biggest things I heard people complain about is the Ecchi dynamic between Meliodas and princess Elizabeth (it being 100% on Meliodas part).
    Link to NF Thread or Section:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. T-Bag Blackbeard

12. Nimura Furuta Favorite Jobber

Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo Ghoul :Re, Hunter X Hunter.
    Your time will not be wasted.

13. Catalyst75 Well-Known Member

Aside from waiting for Hunter x Hunter while it is on hiatus, you mean.

Title: World Trigger
    Creator(s): Daisuke Ashihara
    Genre(s) & Theme(s): Science Fiction
    Running
    Short synopsis: Earth is under constant attack by Neighbors, monsters who appear on Earth from another dimension to destroy our way of life. The defense against Neighbors is a group called Border, which monitors Neighbor activity and fights against Neighbors with Trigger technology taken from the Neighbors. Osamu Mikumo, a rookie Border agent, one day comes meet Kuga Yuga, a strange boy who transfers into his High School, and reveals himself to be a Humanoid Neighbor, who came to Earth because he was told to do so in the event his father died.
    Why you recommend it: Along with being a departure from the predominantly fantasy-oriented stories in Weekly Shounen Jump (for battle manga, at least), World Trigger not only as strong sci-fi elements, but the vast majority of battles in World Trigger have a strong focus on team-based strategy, a wide range of Trigger-based weapons and abilities. There is magnificent world-building involved in the story as well, with a wealth of information learnt about the Neighbor's home dimension throughout the story.
    Things that might turn off potential readers: Zero potential for pairing wars, so no content for shippers. :fatcat Joking aside, the only real "downside" I can think of would be that certain people may not find the Ranking Wars to their fancy. While there are plenty of fights to be had when the Ranking Wars are focused on, it comes after the Invasion Arc, and some people may not care for the shift from large-scale invasion to team matches between Border Agents, even if individual matches flesh out Trigger abilities and Border characters, and is essential to the story.

The second point is purely superficial, but outside of Black Trigger users (and Chika), the series is not a "high-scale battle Shounen". While the action is great, damage potential is not that high outside of Black Trigger users (Amo Tsukihiko levelled an entire section of city down to the dirt beneath the pavement off-screen). In a way, an antithesis to the Big Three and Toriko when it comes to how fights are handled.

14. KawaiiKyuubi 九尾

Shingeki no Kyojin, probably my favourite shonen manga. Also, Gunslinger Girl and Love Hina.

Edit: I read Nineteen, Twenty-One bexause of this thread and its beautiful. I'm the biggest cat lover that my friends have ever met and so it was a very special story for me. Makes me want to go back to volunteering, even though my mental health will make it difficult. If you like cats or even just want a nice and cute little story that makes you think, I'd highly recommend it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  15. SoulFire! Venerable Sage

Creator(s):
    Kohei Horikoshi
    Genre(s) & Theme(s):
    Action fantasy shonen with drama and humor.
    Ongoing
    Short synopsis:
    The story follows Izuku Midoriya, a boy born without superpowers in a world where they are the norm, but who still dreams of becoming a superhero himself. Izuku is chosen by his idol, All Might, to be receive his power and eventually enrolls in a prestigious school for future heroes (U.A. High) where he endeavors to make friends, control his abilities and reach his goal of being an official Superhero through a series of lessons, tests and competitions. A complication is that the guy who has bullied Izuku for most of his life is a classmate.
    Why you recommend it: The characters are just one heck of a lot of fun, Horikoshi's style is interestingly varied (from the stylistic versions of All Might to the many student character designs and the downright creepy villains) and there's plenty of great action. There's also quite a bit of heart in this story and great character development. You can't help but root for Izuku and the rest of the kids (and staff) of U.A. There's also some pairing fun so far without the triangular drama seen in Naruto. And it's animated, too!
    Things that might turn off potential readers: I guess if you're bored by yet another manga filled with various power tests, tournaments and the like you may want to pass--but you'll really be missing an enjoyable read.
    Link to NF Thread or Section:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  16. Seelentau The All-Knowing

I read a lot of manga, mostly those from NSFW genres like psychological horror, slasher etc. and a lot of low-effort ecchi manga. Check my manga list for (almost) all manga I've read:
    If you want to know more about a specific one, feel free to ask.

Here are some of the lesser known manga I enjoy(ed):
    • Ajin: manga about unkillable beings called Ajin. Lots of killing and blood, nice artwork.
    • Dead Tube: manga about a video platform called Dead Tube, where you can upload videos that are then rated. Again lots of killing and blood, really graphic, a lot of nudity as well.
    • Dolly ♥ Kill Kill: manga about mysterious puppets that wiped out most of mankind. People with special powers fight against them. No nudity, but lots of fighting. For fans of the usual shounen special power fighting manga.
    • Tenkuu Shinpan: another manga for fans of superhuman fighting. The protagonist is send to a world where you can't go to the ground, the story takes place on highrise buildings that are connected through bridges. Masked humans try to kill the protag, he finds other normal humans and learns to control the masked humans.
    • Mai Ball!: sports manga about a female football team. Some nudity, nice artwork. I usually don't read sports manga, but this one is okay.
    • Ibara no Ou (King of Thorn): Can't really remember what this one was about, but I remember enjoying it a lot.
    • Middle to low effort manga, little to no deep story or developed characters... well, they ARE developed in some way... if you know what I mean. Lot's of hinted or straight-up nudity, from all genres:
      • Amano Megumi wa Sukidarake!
      • Hajimete no Gal
      • Hantsu x Trash
      • Ninkoi: Kakurenbo Hichou
      • Okusan
      • Shuumatsu no Harem
      • Uchi no Musume ni Te wo Dasuna!: Oyako Heroine Funtousu
      • Magicalize (Inomaru)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  17. Jeαnne :hurr

Noragami is really good, loved the anime. I need to read the manga.

Basically, its about a god from old times of war that has been "forgotten" in times of peace, and is doing some work to keep himself around. Then there is an incident where a girl sees and tries to save him, and ends up with a problem related to her soul.

I wont get into details but its really good, there is good character development, its funny, has serious moments, has the shinto god, really worthy it.

As anime it has good music, animation, high quality all around.

openings:
    trailer:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  18. Addy itachi is everywhere!!

gleipnir: i love how claustrophobic this one is. there is no 3rd retarded main character. only 2.

hajimete no gal: very funny even if repetitive :catskully

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
  19. NarutoIzReal New Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  20. Addy itachi is everywhere!!

i recommend narakarana. only 13 chapters so far :catwave

21. theRonin The Wanderer

Angel Densetsu. It's one of the most hilarious mangas out there,

22. Yagami1211 The Mad Dog of Shimano !

Title : City Hunter
    Creator(s) : Tsukasa Hōjō
    Genre(s) & Theme(s) : Action, Detective & Crime Drama
    Complete ( Japanese Manga & Anime both. Scanlation is on hiatus. )
    Short synopsis : In Shinjuku, Tokyo. Crime lords and street punks makes nightmare of the dreaded City Hunter, aka Ryo Saeba. Ryo is a Sweeper. Mix of Private Detective & Hitman, he's a master on any weapons, stealth & combat. With his cool headed partner Makimura, Ryo takes clients for various jobs going from bodyguarding, assassinations & Detective Work. However, as deadly Ryo is, he has one big weakness : women.

Things that might turn off potential readers : Not as bloody and gore as the first ten chapters make it seems, earlier stories were very serious, but the manga is more light hearted as its progress. There is some very light fanservice.

Link to NF Thread or Section :

NOTE : The anime is not as crude, but has excellent voice actors ( Ryo is Akira Kamiya, and it's the role he likes the most ) and a stunning OST with jazz & rock. There a few movies too.

tl;dr version : Lighthearted Hokuto no Ken with guns instead of fists.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  23. SoulFire! Venerable Sage

You should add that it is hentai...some folks like myself may not be looking for that form of 'entertainment'. :catwat

24. Addy itachi is everywhere!!

25. SoulFire! Venerable Sage

I've never read a senin--so that's a part of their 'charm', eh? :hm I didn't figure that there would be full frontal sex included--especially right off the bat. Quite an unexpected surprise for this old broad! :twitch Not that I'm a prude, but I'd like some warning on such content!

26. Addy itachi is everywhere!!

27. SoulFire! Venerable Sage

28. theRonin The Wanderer

Could anyone recommend me a manga where the Main Character Dies?

29. fuff Maybe next time ;)

dragonball (rip goku over and over again)

30. theRonin The Wanderer

I gave it a try. Thanks to the dragon balls, there was no sense of danger at all in that manga. Not my cup of tea.

You know something like Death Note? The hero doesn't have to be an antihero.