1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

Mantle of the Hero

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by EvilMoogle, Feb 2, 2018.

1. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

What is a hero? What makes them? What drives them to perform the unbelievable actions that they inevitably do? Ask a hundred philosophers in a hundred different worlds and likely you would get a hundred different answers.

One world, at least, believes that they have the answer. In times of trials most dire heroes are called, a grand summons that reaches distances beyond comprehension and brings those that would wear the mantle called "hero."

Of course, things are rarely as simple as they might seem.

Your vision blurs, a violent vertigo washes over you as if thrown suddenly across a great distance. After a moment the sensation passes and your surroundings come into focus. You find yourself in a small room lit only but a candle on small table in one corner. The room itself is windowless, hard packed dirt floor and wooden walls add to the impression that it's underground. The only exit is a door on the far end of the room.

You find yourself on the floor next to a handful of others, that seem to be similarly regaining their senses. Near the door a man chants in an unknown tongue, a surprisingly firm voice despite the man's aged appearance. He is attended by a slightly frightened looking younger woman, perhaps in her early twenties.

The chant quickly reaches its climax and the man falls silent before crumpling to the ground. The younger woman immediately kneels beside him checking his status. As if triggered by this the door opens and three new human men enter.

The first is a large, bearish man with brown hair and beard in tight curls. A shield as wide and tall as he covers most of his form and he enters first, scanning the room with cautious eyes, pausing on you and the other figures a moment with a clearly appraising look.

He's followed closely behind by a taller but more slender man, reddish-brown hair tied back in a neat ponytail. A pair of swords hang from his belt, sticking out behind his back. He seems more relaxed, though is clearly ready to move on a moment's notice if needed. He steps to the side to allow a last figure in.

The third man is considerably older, though not so much as the man who has collapsed, perhaps in his fifties or sixties. He's dressed in fine robes though they are well worn and appear to have several days of travel in them. His face is creased with tension, if you had to guess you would say he has not slept much of late. He steps slowly forward, the other two making eye contact and nodding slightly, then drops down and prostrates on the ground, bowing to the floor.

"Thank you for answering our call. It is a time perhaps darker than we have ever known." He rises to his knees then slowly pulls himself to his feet. "If ever we had need of heroes it is now." His face lightens somewhat, eyes hopeful with the faintest glimmers of tears showing in the corners of them.

"I'm sure you have many questions, I will attend to them as best I can. What sparse comforts I can offer are yours."

Tags:
  2. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

"Uhhhh..." A Teenaged boy with brown hair and green eyes is standing near naked in his underwear looking around. "Man dreams get weird sometimes..." He mumbles rubbing his eyes and yawning. He doesn't look remotely heroic or strong at all.

3. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

Foot on the edge, blade held tightly, Haru drives her sword forward towards her brother who deftly dodges past, grabbing her by her wrists and making her drop her weapon. She howls in pain as he twists her arms in unnatural positions. “You really are a thorn in my side.” He snarls, dark eyes dull, almost dead. It was a coldness that she never saw in her brother's eyes before today. The highest watch tower in the kingdom, this was the end. Someone was to die here, and her brother was larger, stronger, a more vicious combatant.

“Shinpachi please. We don't have to do this.” Haru struggles, looking tearfully at him.

“One person gets to leave this tower alive, and its going to be me. I can't chance a brat like you ruining my chances.” He tightens his grip, making her feel her bones groan in protest. The many different ideas fluttered through his head, different ways to kill his little sister.

A sudden wind blows, knocking off Haru's hat that kept her hair controlled. The world stood still as Shinpachi let a toothy grin settle on his face before abruptly picking her up and dangling her over the edge.

“Any last words little princess?” as his sentence ends, she spits in his face, pulling her body up by her wrists to bite his arm with her fanged mouth, causing him to let go.

It was a blur as she plummeted to the ground, vertigo overtook her and she nearly vomited. The seconds it took to land felt like an eternity. But the embrace of death did not take her. Instead she feels hard packed dirt underneath her suddenly, no pain, but strange chanting, then more people enter the room. If she was less focused on what had just happened, she would have immediately questioned things.

“That traitorous motherfucker,” Are the first words out of her mouth in the strange new place, her voice sounds androgynous however, as if the years of training her voice to be more masculine interfered with her natural pitch. She scratches at her head in annoyance, then feels her chest and head, “Wait? I'm not dead? I'm not dead!” She sounds almost giddy, sitting up straight and protruding a more royal posture.

“I'm not complaining, but why are we here? Why all of us? Who are you? You don't look like you're going to harm us.” She questions, tilting her head quizzically. “Would whatever this is be considered kidnapping?”

4. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

The regal man nods somewhat comfortingly as the pair voice their confusion. "You are neither dead nor dreaming, at least not in the literal sense." He pauses to look at the elderly man that was chanting before but remains unresponsive now. "As to how you got here, I am afraid the technical explanation is beyond me. But the essence is a great work of magic was performed, to beseech the gods to send us heroes."

"I am afraid I do not know how the gods select those that they pick only that our need is so great we could think of no other option." He pauses wearily, his voice showing hints of exhausted strains. "I would hope it is not the case that you would think ill of me, if you do I would only ask that you wait until you understand the situation and that you do not punish my subjects for my actions."

The pair waiting by the door shift nervously at this suggestion and seem a bit more on edge but they keep quiet.

5. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

Douglas blinks and begins pinching himself. No... needed to be sure he'd done that in dreams before. Hard impacts always woke him up since his mind couldn't really process that too well. He walks up to the regal man "Could you do me a favor and punch me? This dream isn't nearly as abstract as I like having."

6. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"What do you mean? Anything is better than falling 200 theras to a rocky ground." Her words seem like the word 'theras' was a measurement of distance. "What is the dire situation that gives the cause to summon us here?" She brushed her dark hair out of her face, remembering her proper facade she practiced throughout her time.

7. Vergil Busy procrastinating

Loading Protocols
    Loading Windows 97
    Deleting Windows 97
    Rebooting
    Starting Nanite.exe

Circuits came to life as the android awakened, for the first time in its life. The tattoos shone an eerie green, with light equivalent to a torch illuminating the room. A sequence of programs started up and it was several moments before the android was even able to open its eyes and register the surroundings. The being stood up suddenly and searched the room, scanning the faces of all present, with dead dark eyes. It only had one objective in its programming.

"Searching for human with designation "Master". Loading basic description. Blue hair, green eyes, 5 ft 3, Caucasian, 120lbs, 23 yrs old. Have you seen anyone with this description?"

The android surmised that there was something amiss as the 'Master' was not present for its awakening. It searched its logs and then felt a surge of....something unpleasant. Its hand clenched the maid outfit it was wearing.

'Unit manufactured 2267
    Unit deemed defective due to nanite error. Sage virus detected. Unit will periodically make nonsensical observations
    Unit irreparable and scheduled for disintegration.'

The android processed the information and came to a conclusion.

"This unit needs a purpose. It has been discarded, therefore has no purpose. Please allocate a purpose within 2 minutes or this unit will shutdown and erase all files." Then the sage virus took over, "The truest difference between the concepts of life and death, are bananas."

8. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

The man seems taken aback by the request of violence and after a moment's hesitation he seems to focus on the other's more practical questions. "The situation is beyond dire," he says simply. "I am King Gabriel Sutton the Third, 49th successor to the throne of Abrelia though whether that is still a place that exists may be a question of dispute." The last is heavy in his voice, clearly having a real impact on the man.

"Three days ago I awoke to a normal day, much like the rest of my subjects. Just before lunch an exhausted messenger relayed word of an army only hours outside of the capital. He had ran the whole way to us and the army marched on his very heels." His voice has a strange mix of anger and disbelief. "We had little chance to speculate on where this mystery army appeared from as we rushed to muster forces."

"The bulk of our knights, elite soldiers of many campaigns," both his face and his tone make it clear that he knew many of these men personally. His voice catches somewhat in his throat but he forces through it,"they were sent out to buy time while we rallied more common troops. Tens of thousands of black armored soldiers met them, and rolled over them as if the force they represented were insignificant."

"We went from surprised, to full out scattering retreat in less than an hour. No chance for an organized retreat from the capital, the bulk of the population simply scattered." He shook his head in disbelief and turned for a moment to compose himself. Once recovered he continued, "unbelievably things were worse from there, three other cities we visited, all three were already occupied by these unnatural black-clad forces."

"After that we made the decision to head to the ruins of Perlshaw, a village on the edge of nowhere that was abandoned decades ago. After a brief discussion of options we came to the conclusions that left us here."

The man turned to consider the third figure considering her strange words for a moment, "purpose? Well, the purpose we called you here for is to save our people. That's the truest reason to ever call for heroes. Salvation."

9. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

"Huh..." Was this not a dream? He was in the same underwear he went to bed in after messing about on the computer. Well... may as well play along with the the dream if it wanted to pretend to be something else.
    "Hey, Gabriel can you manage... normal clothing?" His stomach growls... he never had been hungry in a dream before. "Maybe some food?" He thinks about what the strange looking robot in the room said. "Bananas maybe? That sounds fine."

10. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

"Our supplies are quite limited at the moment," the king says cautiously. "Food of course, though our supplies are few. I'm not sure what a banana is though. As far as clothing goes I can see what we can salvage from the others that have arrived but I would not count on much. While your garb may be strange it seems serviceable enough."

"If the immediate questions are done, I would like to offer my thanks to the gods at the temple. After that we can see to your needs as best we can and start our plan for where to go next."

11. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

"Not sure what a... No, food or clothing?" Oh...this wasn't a dream at all was it... This was some weird adventurer manga or japanese novel coming true for real wasn't it... Wait doesn't that mean he's about to be saddled with a lot unwarranted responsibility and war at that? Isn't this once king assuming a lot, he's going to get him killed...
    "Wait just a damn second! Why don't you just surrender to the black soldiers?! They've already won after all. How in the world am I supposed to stop a victory that has already happened?! I don't even know how to fight either!"

12. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"Tactical retreat, very smart your majesty." She nods, giving a bow as she stands up to introduce herself, "Princess Haru of the Northern Kingdoms, well, from where I am from. Just Haru is okay." She gives a look to Douglas, "There are many of us humans that do not wear clothing. Yes, we have no fur so it must be cold are you not?" There's something strange about how she was just talking, just she scrunches her nose, "Maybe we can find an animal to skin for you to wear and eat."

13. Vergil Busy procrastinating

"Purpose acquired." The android nodded, 20 seconds before its deadline had run out. "This unit will save your people."

"This unit is unable to comply with primary objective currently. This unit does not currently have the capability to defeat an army of 10,000. Unit requires Weapon: tactical miniature nuclear launcher, or Seraphim 34000."

"If weapons are unavailable then this unit must be given ample time and resources to improve."

Accessing logs to query: Banana:

Spoiler:
    The banana is an edible – botanically a – produced by several kinds of large in the . In some countries, bananas used for cooking may be called , in contrast to dessert bananas. The fruit is variable in size, color, and firmness, but is usually elongated and curved, with soft flesh rich in covered with a rind, which may be green, yellow, red, purple, or brown when ripe. The fruits grow in clusters hanging from the top of the plant. Almost all modern edible (seedless) bananas come from two wild species – and . The of most cultivated bananas are Musa acuminata, Musa balbisiana, and Musa × paradisiaca for the hybrid Musa acuminata × M. balbisiana, depending on their constitution. The old scientific name Musa sapientum is no longer used.

Musa species are native to tropical and , and are likely to have been first domesticated in . They are grown in 135 countries, primarily for their fruit, and to a lesser extent to make , , and and as . The world's largest producers of bananas in 2016 were India and China, which together accounted for 28% of total production.

Worldwide, there is no sharp distinction between "bananas" and "plantains". Especially in the Americas and Europe, "banana" usually refers to soft, sweet, dessert bananas, particularly those of the , which are the main exports from banana-growing countries. By contrast, with firmer, starchier fruit are called "plantains". In other regions, such as , many more kinds of banana are grown and eaten, so the binary distinction is not useful and is not made in local languages.

The term "banana" is also used as the common name for the plants that produce the fruit. This can extend to other members of the genus Musa, such as the (Musa coccinea), the (Musa velutina), and the . It can also refer to members of the genus , such as the (Ensete glaucum) and the economically important (Ensete ventricosum). Both genera are in the banana family, .

14. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"What in blue blazes are you talking about?" She stared blankly at the Android, brain turning off halfway through the droning.

15. Vergil Busy procrastinating

The android turned to the dark haired person.

"Query: What are blue blazes? Information not found. Bananas should not be blue or set ablaze. Nor should both occur at the same time." The android stated.

16. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"Its..." She snorts, mouth twitching in amusement, "just an expression?" The laughter breaks her transformation slightly, causing her eyes to flicker from brown to bright blue, then back again as she regains control, snickering to herself over what was said.

17. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

The king brushed aside the majority of their banter, the legends seemed to indicate that heroes from another world were odd and it certainly seemed to be the case. "Surrender might have been an option, if we knew who to send such a message to. Our retreat was less a tactical movement and more flight of panicked necessity." He grimaces slightly at the last.

He paused considering, "the troops were odd, by the standards of armies I know. Tight rigid formations but no banners of any kind and no indication of sergeants or leadership on the field. Individually the didn't seem overly impressive, yet they brushed off attacks against them with almost no effort." With a sigh he adds, "I'm aware that what I ask of you is not exactly reasonable. If you do not wish to help us I understand, but I wish for you to know that we do what we do only because we have no other choice."

To the strangest of the trio he nods, "I'm afraid our resources are limited for weapons at the moment, even if I know what it is that you were asking for. But I am hoping we are remote enough to have time before they find us, assuming they continue to look. There are woods nearby, so at the very least we can hunt and do some woodcrafts. Then perhaps," he pauses and shakes his head.

"I'm aware this is not the start of most adventures of legend. If I had more resources to give you I assure you we would leverage them."

18. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

"Damn it. Fine lets get it on with. You mentioned gods?"
    Douglas is ready to follow him.

19. Vergil Busy procrastinating

The android turned to the King and bowed slightly.

"This unit is unfamiliar with the geography of the area." She stops, "Since you are unfamiliar with bananas, are you familiar with the concept of a map?"

20. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

"A map? Yes I am familiar with the term," the king says hesitantly. "I somehow doubt anyone brought one with them but I will have the request spread around. If not I will ask if someone is skilled in cartography, we will certainly need something eventually."

"If that is it for now let us move on to the temple, then we will find what equipment we can for you all." He turns towards the door and the two heavily armed men provide a careful escort out.

Through the door is a dark staircase leading up into a small room that one might generously call a hovel. It's bare and unfurnished, though at least an effort has been made to clean it. A small hearth is built into one wall in which a blazing fire roars. The king leaves without word to the outside village.

The village is clearly small, a dozen or so mostly one-room homes are scattered around haphazardly. It's also mostly overgrown, and semblance of roads erased by time. A handful of men and women are gathered together in small groups as the party exits, the murmur awestruck offering prayers and thanks to the group as they leave.

In the center of the village is a moderately larger building. Unlike the wooden houses it is made of clay bricks and appears to be in much better general condition. The king pauses outside the building, "the temple was built devoted to Dumathoin, a somewhat Dwarven god, somewhat obscure in these parts if you have not heard of him. But it is sanctified ground, all of the gods will hear your words if you wish to offer thanks."

With no further explanation he moves into the temple. His guards seem to relax very slightly when they enter though they still eye everything warily. Inside there is a single large room, with no features or furniture other than an alter apparently carved out of a single block of stone. The king approaches it slowly then kneels, head bowed in silent prayer.

21. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

Douglas yawns. Prayer, how ridiculous. Though he wasn't going to say anything about it nor pray.
    Instead he tries to see if he was able to spot anything special with the guards, the king, and the surrounding area.
    The robot would be a valuable resource admittedly and the girl that was also summoned did offer to help make proper clothing... Though he wasn't sure how he felt about wearing something he saw first hand... He sneezes and shivers slightly. It's... awfully breezy this way. Who summons someone from their bed? It was rude. What if he was... Well at least that didn't happen.
    ((Take 20 after that roll))

22. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

Out of respect, Haru kneels next to yet behind the king, praying as well, though to no specific god, unsure if her own Gods would even exist here, and if they did, maybe praying to them might anger the ones that were primary here.

After she is finished, she stands and steps away. "I don't know if I'm really hero material, but we will find out soon enough, Gods willing. We've all been called here for a reason."

23. Vergil Busy procrastinating

The android looked curiously at the King as he knelt

"You are a King. I see no-one in the area that is of higher importance than you. Please update information. Term: God. File not found. Gap in memory suggests that file was erased."

She looked also at the dark haired girl that referred to herself as a princess looking for a response.

"Scanning area for additional lifeforms. Cannot find. Optics may be in need of repair."

The android couldn't feel emotion but this was as close to distress as it could get as it continually scanned the area as the King and Princess knelt before a statue. Was the statue alive? Why kneel to something that is dead?

24. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"Its something a person can put faith into, most only know about them through stories. You can't see them, you can't hear them. But...you can feel their presence everywhere."

25. Unlosing Ranger Rebirth and destruction, again and again

"I could count at least 2 people and a product of man's hard work that are more important than a fallen king who wouldn't even know what a gun is. Going by what I've seen."

26. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Douglas doesn't see anything inherently unusual about the guards, or the king for that matter. They're certainly very different from what he's used to but they at least appear to fit in with the surroundings. If anything looking closely suggests that the two guards are at least as tired as the king, though perhaps better at covering for that. Their tension suggests that they're probably very short on temper.

He winces as if slapped at being denounced as a worthless fallen king however does not immediately say anything. Any retort or justification he might have offered was suddenly lost as a tremor cuts across the floor of the temple, shaking everyone slightly. Both guards give a panicked look inside and sprint in towards the king.

The taller, less heavily armored guard moves faster, cutting across the ground and tackling the king over towards the far wall of the temple. A moment later the ground shifts again and falls away as a gaping hole swallows most of the temple floor. Your heart freezes for a moment of free-fall (or gyroscopic positioning and kinesthetic subprocessing unit) before you plunge into icy water. Fast currents carry you under for heart-wrenching seconds before a strong arm grasps you and pulls you up onto solid ground.

The heavier shield-carrying knight lets you go next to the others as he rapidly works to secure everyone. You find yourself in a largish chamber perhaps 25' by 25', though most of the center of the room is dominated by a swirling pool. The river (if you could term it that) rushes in from one side of the room and it circles at a fast pace before draining into a circular hole in the bottom.

The room is crafted of slightly greenish stone blocks and a pair of lanterns are set in the walls lighting the room adaquately. In the center of the right-hand wall a narrow hallway leads away from the room, made of the same greenish blocks with lanterns set in fixed intervals.

The heavy-set man stands up once he seems certain neither the king nor the other guard would be following the party and takes stock that everyone is okay. He picks his shield back up and shakes water from his armor as best he can before speaking. "Okay, so, that happened."

"Being formal, well, that's pretty outside my role other than standing aside while the diplomats talk. Don't know if there is a proper way to talk to heroes anyway so I'm just going to cut to it and find out what we have." He pauses looking at everyone in turn perhaps slightly wary of bad reactions but continues anyway, "we're in a dungeon, four, maybe five levels down? Tough to gauge how far we fell." He shrugs slightly. "I'm a fighter, fourth level, specialized in defense and protection if that wasn't obvious. I know you all are hurting for gear, any chance you have any skills of use? What are we working with exactly?"

He glances around at the others apparently waiting for a response.

27. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

She sputters, uncomfortable in her human form, "I've got a nasty bite." Haru drops her transformation, hair quickly melding into her body as an auburn fur ruffles across her body, tail fluffing out from under her coat. The dampness making her look more like a drowned rat than a fox.

She sneezes and shakes her body to poof out a bit, "I've got good strategy usually. I apologize for the discourtisy of suddenly changing form on you. But I do not particularly enjoy that form in this situation. I'm not helpless, but I don't really have that many skills on my side. Also, what do you mean fighter and dungeon and level??"

28. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

The guard takes the transformation mostly in stride. He's probably surprised but given the current circumstance he appears to be thinking better than to comment on it. "Didn't you see the alert? Well, I suppose we were falling at the time. The 'Frozen Mines' I think it was, something like that at least. That's the dungeon we're in, not really much for history, I think King Gabriel mentioned it was sealed by the temple something like 50 years ago. It was a fairly mild dungeon, got out of hand and they had to lock it up."

"I don't really understand your other questions, I'm a fighter, really one of the more basic classes I'd imagine that's true everywhere, hard to get to to advanced classes without learning basics first. I could probably unlock caviler if I spent more time in mounted combat but as a member of the King's Guard I was planning on trying to unlock warder." He stops and shakes his head.

"This probably isn't the place to discuss that though. That clear anything up? Maybe your world uses different terms?"

29. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"Still makes no sense to me, but I figure I'll figure it out soon enough." Haru wipes her muzzle, "Alright, damage control," she looks at the others, "Everyone looks like they are okay, you feel okay everything considered?"

30. Vergil Busy procrastinating

As the android fell it simply stared blankly in front of it until it hit the water. It then stared blankly as it got swept away by the current, clearly unable to do anything about it. When it finally reached a place where it was dry, the being analysed the situation. A room with lots of green. A man

The android looks at the heavier man. "A fighter. You like to fight things. On a level. The 4th level. Please clarify, this unit does not have the necessary requirements to understand. Awarder? A person that awards people? Please clarify, this unit does not have the necessary requirements to understand. Cavalier?
    noun
    1. 1.
      historical
      a supporter of King Charles I in the English Civil War.
    2. 2.
      a small spaniel of a breed with a moderately long, noncurly, silky coat.
    adjective
    1. 1.
      showing a lack of proper concern; offhand.
    Does not translate in the context given. You wish to unlock a dog? Please clarify, this unit does not have the necessary requirements to understand"