1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Roleplaying Section is hosting their latest create-a-character contest. This month's theme is "Magical Girls."

Check it out here!.
    Dismiss Notice

Mantle of the Hero

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by EvilMoogle, Feb 2, 2018.

1. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The lantern actually turned itself off several days ago. When Banana attempts to turn it on there's no response.

Arn Frederick suggests that it may be out of essence and testing they find that a mana stone brought in contact with it is immediately absorbed into the lantern. After absorbing a few essence from the city stores it turns on.

Apple looks hesitantly at Banana, "that seems to have done it, I meet all the requirements for rogue now, do you think I should change from ninja to rogue?"

2. Vergil Busy procrastinating

"No." Banana replies bluntly, "but experiment is complete. Apple will remain a ninja."

She nods and makes her way to the King. She lets him know about the ability to change class and the process required. "Suggestion for next mission is needed."

3. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

The king listens carefully to Banana's explanation. After a few minutes he speaks with a measured tone, "the immediate question is the scope of this. Currently there are 45 adults in the city, heroes aside. A full 30 of them are of the 'commoner' class. If we have found a special way to quickly unlock the rogue class for our people that would be a sizable step up for our defenses."

"Granted I don't know what the gods would think of a city comprised mostly of rogues." He lets out a slow chuckle that seems almost devoid of humor. "Still, survival would probably be of more import than propriety in this case."

"I am hesitant to get hopes up however, while this certainly sounds unusual most class unlocks are complicated things and ninja is not so different than rogue, perhaps it was just a one-off case. Would you try with someone else?"

4. Vergil Busy procrastinating

"Understood. Will find class: commoner and attempt to turn them into class: rogue." Banana says and then leaves to find someone worthy of the name: Grape

5. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Spoiler: Current list of commoners, with professions

Adela Foster Commoner-4 Female Human C:Alchemy
    Sofia Doyle Commoner-1 Female Human C:Baking
    Josiah Huckle Commoner-1 Male Human C:Baking
    Jasper Udy Commoner-4 Male Human C:Baking
    Sebastian Pearson Commoner-2 Male Human C:Blacksmithing
    Williamina Roberts Commoner-3 Female Human C:Blacksmithing
    Roderick Bonser Commoner-2 Male Human C:Brewing
    Horace Woodley Commoner-2 Male Human C:Brewing
    Madalynn Rosa Commoner-1 Female Human C:Carpentry
    Evan Barnes Commoner-1 Male Human C:Cartography
    Bessie Moore Commoner-1 female Human C:Cooking
    Eleanor Hosmer Commoner-2 Female Human C:Cooking
    Leonard Boness Commoner-1 male Human C:Stonemasonry
    Emma Woodley Commoner-2 Female Human C:Tailoring
    Lilly Bennett Commoner-1 Female Human C:Tanning
    Easton Holmes Commoner-1 Male Human P:Farmer
    Alexander Davies Commoner-2 Male Human P:Farmer
    Grace Davies Commoner-2 Female Human P:Farmer
    Ronald Tier Commoner-1 Male Human P:Farmer
    Owen Oliver Commoner-1 Male Human P:Fisherman
    Gordon Marsh Commoner-1 Male Human P:Fisherman
    Emilia Lane Commoner-2 Female Human P:Healer
    Richard Mills Commoner-1 Male Human P:Herbalist
    Katherine Watts Commoner-1 Female Human P:Hunter
    Jasmine Johnson Commoner-2 Female Human P:Hunter
    Cuthbert Belsey Commoner-2 male Human P:Hunter
    Victor Monroe Commoner-1 Male Human P:Merchant
    Aaron Matthews Commoner-1 Male Human P:Woodcutter
    Hannah Williams Commoner-2 Female Human C:Stonemasonry
    Jasper Williams Commoner-1 Male Human C:Tailoring

6. Vergil Busy procrastinating

Banana goes through the commoners and finds the bakers. "Is anyone interested in becoming a rogue? I have been tasked by the King to attempt to change your class."

7. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

Both Sofia and Josiah are tired from a day spent at dull labor working on clearing ruble from the village. Lacking proper ingredients for baking they're of very limited use in the city at the moment. It would probably be clear to any normal person that they were looking for little more than resting their aching bodies before another day of hard work tomorrow.

"Tasked by the king?" Josiah says questioningly. "To become rogues? What is this?"

"Rogues sir? Are you sure the king meant us?" Sofia seems also as confused. "I've barely held a weapon in my life, let alone fought with one. Surely I'm years off from unlocking an adventuring class?"

8. Vergil Busy procrastinating

"This is an experiment to determine if we can change the class you currently have. Hypothesis: You will train with me and then I will shine a light on you and you shall obtain rogue class. Then you shall be called Grape."

"Volunteer needed. Please designate."

9. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

The pair exchange confused glances for a moment before Josiah steps forward, "I suppose if we're to learn to fight I've got the edge, I fought off a dire rat once."

Sofia places one hand on his shoulder and pulls him back, "no, go get some rest. Sacrificing sleep to humor indulgences is something women have done for ages. I'll go, you can make it up to me by working twice as hard tomorrow." They exchange another pointed look before the man shrugs and steps back to allow Sofia the lead.

10. Vergil Busy procrastinating

Banana nods. "Very well. You shall train with me tomorrow morning. I shall continue to clear rubble through the night so there is no loss of productivity."

11. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

((In the interest of trying to keep things moving here....))

After talking with the gnome for a while the gnome insists they seek shelter for the night. He leads them to a building with a flat roof, he's constructed an impromptu (gnome-sized) lean-to on the roof. It's a chilly and miserable night but they're able to rest without issue.

((Unless there are other plans I'll assume the gnome will head back with the pair in the morning.))

Douglas sleeps in the relative comfort of the village.

Banana works through the night clearing rubble to offset "grape's" work. The lantern quickly burns through it's fuel overnight and Apple approaches the android in the morning to inform her that the rogue class went back to being locked as soon as the lantern went out. He's not sure if this was expected or not.

12. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas wakes in the morning to meet with the others in the center of town. "So... do we have any ideas of what is happening outside of the town? And has anyone seen the Lantern?"

13. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The gnome brought back with Haru and Lo-Kag skips along as they enter town, seemingly oblivious to the general state of ruin of things. He smiles broadly at Douglas, "ah! Another real one, good. Will make things much easier."

He approaches the human and says smoothly, "have you heard the good news? Morning has come, the sun is risen and the Shadows are long in the fields. If you're ready to accept Shadow into your heart He will blanket you with His protection in the days to come."

14. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

Haru lets off a sigh, "Douglas, this is Shadow, he is a God fallen and attempting to gain followers so he can retain godhood." Her face says that she really doesn't believe she's saying what she is, "Shadow, this is Douglas, one of our companions brought here from another world." She smiles diplomatically.

"The village was attacked by the knights as well, absolutely nobody but him survived. If you can get past the overwhelming smell of blood there's probably some things to salvage."

15. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

"Fallen?" Shadow says incredulously. "Not fallen, snatched. Away from my flock and the comfort of my world by the cheating bastards of this world. That's okay though, I'll make them pay, they aren't as clever as they think they are, there are enough people hiding in shadows around the world crying for aid to sustain me. Give them a name for their prayers and my numbers will grow, just you see!"

16. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"Oof, sorry, didn't think about what I was saying. Do you have names for those who 'snatched' you?"

17. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas double facepalms for a moment before lowering his hands back down. He didn't have time for delusional short people. "Right... Well that's one option dried up. A person who raises the dead arrived yesterday, he didn't seem hostile and was willing to talk. He's a bit a ways off. I decided we should wait until everyone is here to talk to him about deciding to let him in. Thomas was opposed to it however, so we have to consider that. I've also talked to the king about trading with the elf kingdom instead of an alliance so I needed to wait for everyone here to come back."

18. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"Why not an alliance?" She questions, tilting her head, "Usually trading comes part and parcel with alliances, otherwise you risk poisoned supplies. I've seen many a dead citizen from that..." she clears her throat, "However, that dead raiser may give us a leg, I believe diplomacy with him would be a good idea, at least to try."

19. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

"Names? Well, I have lots of names for them. None that would be wise to use out loud though." The gnome says with a slightly bitter voice. "I don't know the names they give their followers, haven't talked to any locals since I landed, I'm sure the pantheon is well defined though."

Listening in on the rest of the conversation the Gnome helpfully adds his wise console, "a necromancer as an ally? You could do worse, but be sure to have a plan in place for when it gets out of control, it always gets out of control. The impending morale crisis should be a bigger problem. Unless you can convince people the undead are 'worth it' you might have a morale break. Be better to find some bards or something to offset it."

"Alliance would work better, assuming you have anything that they want. Maybe they want undead? Two birds one stone?" He adds hopefully. "Elves though, probably not, not normal at least."

20. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

"I doubt we have anything they want. That's the problem. Anyway doing an alliance outright isn't that good of an idea I feel. The necromancer is about several hours to the east... I think Haru should lead the way and maybe one of us should stay back here."
    Douglas looks to Haru "Is that alright with you?

21. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"Hmm..."She taps a finger against her muzzle, then slowly fades to her human form, "I don't see why not. I can go speak to him, find out what I can, and we can go from there. I can talk to Thomas afterward if I need to. But I guess..." she snickers, "That guy just wanted to raise a family of his own."

22. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

((So Haru and Douglas are going to visit the Animist, Banana still training I'm guessing? This sound right?))

23. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

24. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Banana meet Sofia, er, "Grape" in the morning. Like most of the villagers she's equipped only with a crude club and seems to have only the most basic understanding of its use. Still she's in reasonable shape and is willing to learn, or at least to humor the hero in accordance with the king's orders.

The flamboyant man's campsite can be seen from the watchtower. A large tent is erected, of reasonable quality, and a small fire burns outside it. As the group approaches they can make out the man sitting beside the fire, huddled under a fur blanket against the chill morning winds. The three skeletons walk in a circular perimeter outside the camp, thick track lines suggest they've done so for the full night.

When the group gets close one of the skeletons stops it's patrol to point and shriek; a high shrill sound that pierces the morning air. The flamboyant man looks up and the skeleton is quickly quieted, he rises to meet the approach, "ah, you've returned, and with a new friend? Have you come to a decision then?"

25. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

Having left Aku back at the village to hunt with the hunters, Haru bows deeply in respect, “I...Apologize for the actions of the king's guard, I am Haru, I don't believe my friend asked for a name before. Who are you?” She locks her eyes on him, partially from her lessons, partially avoiding the want to chew on a bone. “I hear you are simply a man out of luck and home with some unusual hobbies. I've come to assist in bridging the gap.” She stands straight, “I believe it would be best if you came into the village, you were only to use corpses of animals or ones you get consent-” Her sentence gets cut off by a loud gruff snort.

“When death approach, you are but sack of meat. If best for people, who care what right.” A low toned voice states from Lo-Kag as he stands not far behind Haru. “I not smart, but clan take care of old and young before leader. If king did that, then capital would be stand still. Even Lo-Kag make better king.”

“You're right Lo-Kag.” The words of the berserker seemed to spark a fire in her heart that was forgotten, suddenly coming to a realization, “Lo-Kag. We are heroes. I am-...was a princess. My father is dead, my brother is a traitor. I am next for the throne. Lo-Kag...” She takes a look towards the animancer again, then to Douglas, “Douglas, do you realize what that makes me?” her mouth curls into a mischievous grin before locking eyes with the animancer again, “Forget it. As long as there is no ill will, you may come and help with your skeletons, human or otherwise. As long as it is unrecognizable who they were in life, you may use humans as you please. I will deal with the king and Sir Thomas. I thought we weren't on equal footing with them, and we aren't. He may give us assistance, but it was not us who chose to come here. As long as you assist the people in any way you can, you have a place with us.”

26. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

"Campbell Ellingham the Third," the man says with a flourishing bow. "And I must say that the diplomatic greeting is appreciated. Your terms are acceptable to me, and quite make sense if I do say so myself. I must ask though, is this something that has been approved by the others?" He flashes a grin that is little more than a smirk, "I don't object myself but it just seems such a shift from the dynamic of yesterday."

27. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"Perhaps, perhaps not." She says with a flick of the hand, "But it does not matter, I will explain the situation to them and I'm sure they will see the benefit after some...persuasion." she chooses her words carfully.

"Lo-Kag think she no mean talk. I help." Lo-Kag says loudly down at Douglas like he was trying to whisper.

"It doesn't work like that unless they dont see reason. In any case, would you like help getting back? I will be your...ambassador of sorts." She gives him a side eyed smirk, "I'm sure it's hard enough raising a family on your own." Before bursting out in barklike laughter. "Ahaha, sorry, sorry, couldn't help it!"

28. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

A royalty from some backwards world, not that big a deal from Douglas's perspective.
    "I guess that is what it comes down to." Douglas sighs, this wasn't going to be fun. "Right, time to take up that suggestion of sparring I did a few days ago, need to prove ourselves to be more than just heroes in name."

29. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The pretentious man gives another flourishing bow, "I will leave it in your most capable hands then. One minor correction if you would, to call them 'family' is to make the same mistake as those that are offended by my work. There is no emotional attachment, they are tools and nothing else. Flexible and useful tools, but tools nonetheless."

With it decided he begins directing the skeletons to clean up the campsite and soon he is packed and ready to return. The trip back is fairly quick and the mood is light however as they approach the town they find a group waiting for them. Sir Thomas is there, a stern expression on his face, along with two of the farmers; Gordon and Louise.

The knight is in an aggressive stance, though his sword is still sheathed. The two farmers have their weapons with them though they seem much more apprehensive about being here. Sir Thomas addresses the group as they near, "I thought we had discussed this yesterday, I assume the abominations have only returned because you wish aid destroying them?"

Campbell motions for the skeletons to stop a good distance removed from the knight. His fairly fixed smirk is still plastered across his face but he remains quiet, apparently willing to let his champions discuss the matter.

30. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"Stand down Sir Thomas." Her stance relaxed and non threatening. "He just wants what we all want, peace and a home. Home is not a place, it is a people. Times have changed, we take care of our young, old, and sick first, and if this is how we can take care of our people...By relying on an animancer, then so be it." She seems to have drawn from her training and began her queenly motions.

"When it comes down to it, it's a lot more help, with only one more mouth to feed. When you die, you are nothing but fertilizer for the earth beneath your feet, as long as he has no ill will, and his workers aren't recognizable as who they were in life, then he will stay. If there is defined ill will then I will give the command and you may destroy them."