1. "Are you a Messi or Ronaldo fanboy? Come and nominate them and more of your favourite players in NF's UEFA Champions League Awards!

If your nominees win, you could win points for cool forum prizes!

Click here to play :) .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join us for NF's first movie night! If you're interested in deciding what films we'll be watching, join us for discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Grand Opening of the Beauty Parlor! Come and discuss the beauty world with other beauty lovers
    Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The Roleplaying Section (yes we have one of those is having a character creation contest. This challenge's theme is Super Heroes.

Come check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Recently we held an event where rep powers went a bit crazy so if you've been visited by the Rep Bot it was a byproduct of restoring pre-event values. Additionally we've gauged the reactions from this event and will be rolling out some new uses for rep in the near future. Thank you for your patience and stay on the lookout for new things to come!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The battle of the booty is over and NF's waifu has been decided! Join us for discussion in the award ceremony thread here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mantle of the Hero

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by EvilMoogle, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

2. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

It's up a few posts in the mantles post.

The gear on each skeleton presumably belonged to the adventurer you got the mantle from so it kinda fits with the abilities you have, though you're welcome to choose different arrangements.

The knight can't really use any of it (and/or it would be a downgrade for him) so he's not interested. Mostly armor but ever point of AC counts :zaru

3. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas picks up the steel breastplate and starts putting it. He then straps on the steel shield strapping it to one arm.
    "I... don't think I normally knew how to put armor like this on. This doesn't fit that well and pinches in... certain places."
    Douglas practices movement in the armor making sure everything is in the right place.
    "It's very strange..."
    Douglas uses the Iron Pikeman’s Attitude stance, he breaths more easily.
    "Well... that's much better."

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  4. Vergil Busy procrastinating

"Understood." Banana takes the gear that pertains to her and then approaches the Paladin.

"Why did you harm yourself? I have access to many books that I could recite to you that would help you find alternatives to self harm."

5. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The knight chuckles softly, "after receiving a blessing from a god the last requirement to unlock the Paladin class is swearing an oath to the god that you would serve. There are other options that could be taken but none that were expedient or available here."

"Lathander detests evil, most especially the undead. While it was not exactly what I had planned for my path the gods may have had other ideas in mind for me. Besides it's not like anything in the last few days has been how I planned things to go." Seeing the others ready he motions for everyone to move out. "Come on, let's get this over with."

((Feel free to equip anything, I'm just keeping things moving))

The path back is just as suspiciously quiet as it was on the way there. The group stops by the stairs not terribly far from the large, armored skeleton. "Best to overwhelm quickly, undead do not feel pain nor the drain of stamina, so the longer it drags out the worse it is for us."

((Unless there are other things you want/need go ahead and roll initiatives and give me your strategies please.))

6. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

"That means it isn't that intelligent either I imagine... I have an idea. Let me go in first, and draw its aggro. I'm not suited to hitting the thing, but I at least think I can block its attacks (I hope). Since there are more of us than it. The skeleton will have trouble."

Douglas will charge in after using Bronze Lancer's edge to boost his damage.
    He will use Oaken Shield on the attacking turn of the skeleton to help boost his AC.
    After that he'll stick to total defense giving him a +4 to AC unless the skeleton switches off him, if it does he'll start attacking with the spear normally.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  7. Vergil Busy procrastinating

Banana looks at the weapons and somehow knows that she will be better at wielding the rapier.

Still she drops her pickaxe, despite it being more effective than the dagger against skeletons (as she remembered from Harus battle.)

Whatever armor is there, she will put on, as well as the mantle , and then make her way with the group.

As they approach, she nods at the paladins suggestion, she grips her rapier looks around for any place to ambush, stealths, and waits for a good moment to land a heavy strike.

1d20+5
    15+5 = 20

If the fight starts to go poorly, she will also use her nanite surge to add to her attack roll

8. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

((There's a chain shirt that you can use, just FYI. Someone will have to go armorless though, there's only 3 suits; 2 breastplates and a chain shirt. Strictly speaking it's probably better for the magister to hang back and thus not need armor, but it's ultimately up to you guys.))

((I'll post combat tonight, along with the scene change to the final room of the dungeon. Assuming anyone survives the battle. :zaru ))

9. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

The group assembles and makes ready for their assault on the armored foe. Once confident they have their strategy down they make ready to charge. Sir Thomas begins low prayer, "Light of the Morning, Bringer of Dawn this place has been lost to darkness for too long. We desperate souls seek an exit from this place, may your divine light guide us to our new home." A surge of confidence and courage penetrates everyone (except Banana) and then the group charges.

Banana reacts first but bides his time to charge alongside Douglas. Douglas adjusts his grip on the spear for a charge, then launches in a blurring direction. His spear hits the skeleton with a mighty blow as Banana's rapier is deflected by the creature's shield. A surge of confidence radiates in everyone seeing the creature wounded.

Haru advances slightly and channels the electrical energy she feels within her now, a beam of lightning strikes the skull of the skeleton burning it slightly. Lo-Kag lets out a blood-curdling roar and charges. The white-spear gripped with both hands is driven through the skeleton with a flash of white-light and a hiss like burning. The skeleton quickly twists and pulls away while chopping roughly at Douglas. The young man quickly adjusts his spear defensively and manages to knock aside the blow though it leaves his hands numb.

Thomas points his sword in a charge and shouts, "light guide me to banish this darkness!" He charges in and strikes a mightly blow rending a gash through the skeleton's armor. While the skeleton struggles to get back on even footing Banana leaps up and drives her rapier into the base of the skeleton's skull, there's a rough crack and the head pops off shortly before the creature falls in a heap.

After a few moments the skeleton fades away into a large mana crystal big enough it would be rough to wrap hands around. The knight quickly scoops it up and advances to the door. It opens with a touch and reveals the cathedral's interior.

It's a single large room with a black alter at the back. Behind it is a pair of double-doors that open immediately as the party enters, revealing a shimmering energy. A pair of gold chests flank either side of the alter however before you can advance your senses are assaulted by a barrage of feelings.

Douglas:
    Gains the Mantle of Adelard Gamgee, Shifter
    Gains the Mantle of Grathic Flaskborn, Monk​
    Haru:
    Gains the Mantle of Shiro Fothinmo, Ranger
    Gains the Mantle of Cadan Rablin, Oracle​
    Lo-Kag:
    Gains the Mantle of Conwenna Stephens, Cryptic
    Gains the Mantle of Keishara Qinsalor, Nightblade​
    Banana:
    Gains the Mantle of Hiroonap Womyddniss, Sorcerer
    Gains the Mantle of Jannalor Wynkian, Kineticist​

Unlike before there's no visual change and no apparent ability change, merely a moment of overwhelming disorientation and the knowledge of the additional spirits.

(Haven't finished stats yet, will post them in the OOC thread in the next day or so but wanted to get to here, along with the details of the rules around them.)

10. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas falls to one knee panting. "D-dammit, don't fill my head with things that aren't mine... I'm me. You stupid world!"
    He needed to collect himself and think things through. Why in the world is there an black alter with gold chests? Are their items in those chests? And if those are the old heroes... Spirits so neatly arranged as if to be collected by...
    Like hell he's dying as some so called god's toy to be used later by someone else! He'd use every tool the world gave him and break it if he could. Douglas scrunches his face and takes a deep breath. It's best to let the others make the first move here can never be too cautious starting out.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 12:25 AM
  11. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

All the feelings caused her to fall abruptly onto her tail. Haru shakes her head before climbing back up to her feet again. "Well, I think we're all a bit cramped in our heads now." She jokes, then looks between the party and the alter, "I opened the last chest and got a rapier, Lo-Kag pulled out the spear, Douglas, you and Banana should open those chests." She takes the bottle of tequila and slowly inches over to place the bottle on the alter. Reflexively casting detect magic as she places the offering down.

12. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas waits for Banana to open a chest first.

13. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

((Sorry about the slowness, been a crap morning :geg ))

There's magic on both Haru's rapier and Lo-Kag's spear (in case that wasn't obvious) as well as residual magic on everyone from Sir Thomas' blessing. She detects a very strong magical aura from within the chest on the right, and a more mild magical aura in the chest on the left. The shimmering energy also, unsurprisingly, radiates magic. There's no magic about the alter. There's also a faint background "buzz" of magic that seems all about in the air, not coming from any particular source that Haru can detect.

14. Vergil Busy procrastinating

The Android eyes state or into nothing as her systems go through another upgrade. She tries to observe or but the data is accelerated by some unknown force and is rewritten at impossible speeds. Zetabytes of data move and it is almost to much for her.

"Query: why are they always after my lucky charms?" She says in a strange accent.

Gathering herself, Banana opens the chest on the left

15. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas takes a breath and heads towards the right chest to open it after Banana opens the left.

16. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

((rofl, I swear this was determined before @Vergil posted ))

Both chests open with no resistance. The one on the left has a neatly folded lime-green leisure suit that appears to be made out of some sort of scaled leather. It's supple and well stitched and seems to be quite comfortable.

The chest on the right contains what appears to be a very large lantern (on the order of a 2' cube). It's bound in a light-blue metal and the panels are fogged glass to even out the light distribution. It's rather heavy by Douglas' estimate, he can lift it but it would be incredibly awkward to carry around as a light source. By Douglas' background it appears to run off of some sort of battery power rather than oil or gas and indeed even as he touches it it seems to draw at the energy that has been tingling in him since he touched the first mana stone.

17. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas has a huge, big smile, it seems rather sinister. "A Mana battery! Hahahah! YES! YEEEEEES!"
    Douglas starts studying the object as much as he can. Can it open? Can he see circuits? Wires? Can't risk moving anything too out of place until he learns it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:36 PM
  18. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

There are no panels that Douglas might associate with being used for maintenance on the lantern. Even the glass panes seem fixed in the frames suggesting that the light source, if indeed there is one, is one that doesn't require regular replacement.

One side of the base of the lantern does have two circular impressions that stand out. The one of the left is surrounded by twenty notches like one might find on the face of a clock (if there were 20 hours in a day), the right is plain.

19. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

"Power settings maybe? Or something to unlock it? But which is higher in power 1 or 20... Lets assume 1? Right button probably is... a power button?"
    Douglas sets the dial to one seeing what happens and presses against the plain button after that seeing if it'd turn off..

20. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are neither numbers nor an indicator of which is currently selected on the left impression.

21. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas scratches his head frowning. "Anyone have a marker?"
    A stupid question he knew, but still. He rotates the dial counterclockwise all the way.

22. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

Well, there is no "dial" merely a circular impression with marks around it. However he finds that there is a sort of tactile feed back that raises and lowers as he rotates his finger around the edge of the dial. Based off of the feelings the topmost marking would be the highest setting ("20" if you will) and the one immediately to it's right would be the lowest ("1").

Still it seems easy enough to set things to "1" assuming any of this works like he thinks it does (assuming that's his goal?).

23. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

He presses the right plain indentation inwards, he assumes it to be a button. This was likely determining the amount of light it put out and the mana it drained?

24. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

Much like the left toggle the right doesn't exactly move when pushed however there is a feedback to it. When triggered the lantern immediately bursts into a bright light. It's far too intense for the room they're in, it might even light up the entire area outside. Certainly it's the sort of light that could be seen for miles away.

Despite the overly-brightness the lantern doesn't seem to heat at all however the light itself seems to carry a vague warmth to it, like being wrapped in a comforting blanket.

"What is this?" Sir Thomas says slightly confused. "The light feels like it fills me with energy. I've never felt anything quite like it, like I could run a hundred miles."

25. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

"Oh... that'd be my energy I guess? Is... that the lowest?"
    Douglas cranks it up clockwise 2 notches.

26. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The light gets even more intense as the adjustment is increased, though it's hard to really judge in a small room the practical impact of that.

The feeling of the light does not change for the party, and if it does for Sir Thomas he doesn't comment on it.

27. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas turns it back down to 1 and hands it to Thomas while it is on experimentally.

28. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

It "dims" (if you can call it that) back to the previous setting and Thomas takes it with some curiosity. There's no apparent change based off of who is holding it. Thomas hefts it a little experimentally, "a little impractical to carry about, even if it feels good. Would make an amazing signal fire if we could build a tower for it."

29. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

"Huh, is that left over charge or is it binded to me over a distance... Well for now I guess you'll just carry it Thomas and just putting it into a tower would be a waste. Clearly this could be turned into a weapon or is considered some "ancient heroic artifact only the heroes can use!" Or something."
    Douglas makes sure he doesn't have the feeling of being drained while Thomas is holding it then presses the button turning it off.
    He looks around the room for a possible further way out, they fell down here after all.

30. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

"Would be better if one of the others carries it," the knight offers. "I can't draw wield my sword while carrying this and I would hate for it to be damaged if I were forced to cast it aside."

The only exits from the room are the door they entered into and the door leading to the shimmering energy behind the alter. When Sir Thomas sees him looking around he offers, "if you are ready to lead the portal should lead back to the entrance. Though probably best to step carefully since we clearly fell when we entered."