1. "Are you a Messi or Ronaldo fanboy? Come and nominate them and more of your favourite players in NF's UEFA Champions League Awards!

If your nominees win, you could win points for cool forum prizes!

Click here to play :) .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join us for NF's first movie night! If you're interested in deciding what films we'll be watching, join us for discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Grand Opening of the Beauty Parlor! Come and discuss the beauty world with other beauty lovers
    Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The Roleplaying Section (yes we have one of those is having a character creation contest. This challenge's theme is Super Heroes.

Come check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Recently we held an event where rep powers went a bit crazy so if you've been visited by the Rep Bot it was a byproduct of restoring pre-event values. Additionally we've gauged the reactions from this event and will be rolling out some new uses for rep in the near future. Thank you for your patience and stay on the lookout for new things to come!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The battle of the booty is over and NF's waifu has been decided! Join us for discussion in the award ceremony thread here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mantle of the Hero

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by EvilMoogle, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas takes the lamp (making sure it's off), then sits down and waits near the shimmering portal.

2. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

Haru's eye twitches as something seems to twinge in her brain. "Are you sure that portal is safe? It doesn't seem like it. What if it's just a trap set there by thatskeletonandmonsterbefore. A-and it's there to consume our essence and turn us into..." she pauses dramatically, eyes widening in paranoia, "Mind slaves."

She takes a breath, suddenly feeling paranoid and reclusive, "I have to turn back to form before we go back if it really is the way out. What was I like...Maybe what I was was a thing a person got from another person's idea." She gasps, "WHAT IF WE'RE ALL JUST WORDS!?" She paces, changing into her human form and moving toward Banana's find, "Do you have an idea of what that does? It'll probably kill us all." She places her hand on the hilt of her sword as she takes a long calming breath, before pacing.

3. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas sweats, he was actually fairly easy going to not panic at all. The other two were a robot and a fairly silent large giant of a man so it probably didn't bother them. It was best to be calm at times like these.
    "You... can wear the pelt he gave me if it'll help you feel better." Douglas motions with the wolf pelt Lo-Kag placed on him earlier and can't really make real use of anymore wearing the armor.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 10:38 PM
  4. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"NO! No. I'm fine." Her eyes dart in every which direction but she seems to have calmed herself down some. "Give his fur back. I have Thorne. Thorne can keep me calm." She pats the rapier, but then remembers the magical aura on the blade, and goes to see if there's any hints on what the magic on the weapon is.

((Hoping Vorpal. :villa))

5. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Other than the moon and rose imagery on the sword there's no particular indication as to what the magic in it might do. The magical aura clearly runs down the blade of the rapier, almost flowing out from the hilt, but the complexity of it is beyond Haru's ability to grasp with the fragments of magical knowledge floating around her mind.

((Just a heads up to everyone, in general the magic items that I give out will largely be unique that I want people to spend time experimenting with to learn. I also, in general, plan on having them grow with the characters.))

6. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Douglas sets the lantern down gently and shakily hands the fur back to Lo-Kag before moving back to holding the lantern.
    Now that big guy wasn't something he felt like messing with.

7. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

Once satisfied the group moves forward through the shimmering energy. There's a slight sensation of vertigo as they step through before they find themselves in a natural stone cavern with torches set in sconces in the wall. A set of stairs lead up and natural light shines slightly down them.

The knight leads them up into cool open air and the deep hues of sunset. Piles of stone rubble surround the stairs, apparently the remains of the temple that once stood here. Someone calls out as the group first emerges and soon a small crowd is gathered around, including the king.

"Sir Thomas, you return!" The king cries out. "I knew the gods would see fit to send you back to us. Everyone is well I trust?" He seems to inspect the group, taking in the gear found in the temple.

"It was an interesting trip," the knight says with muted tones. "One with a few unexpected turns though we weathered them well enough." He seems a little more hesitant before the king than the blunt terms he had been using.

"There will be time enough for stories I'm sure," the King's voice seems generally pleased and indeed there seems to be an overall sense of relief from the people. He turns to the party and addresses them, "I'm sure you are all tired from your trials but there should be a celebration of your return to us. We have little to offer for a proper festival but we will offer what we can. If you would prefer to rest I of course understand, I'll have someone guide you to your accommodations -- such as they are."

8. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

May as well test the limits of this place he know nothing about. Their reactions to things, how desperate they truly are. "Could you send some willing women over as well?"

9. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

A distasteful look passes the king's face. "I will spread the word around," he says cautiously. "There may be someone eager to bear the heir of a hero from another world." His tone is cold, obviously not thrilled with this suggestion.

10. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

Ah, so that's how it was. Good to know, the king still cares for his subjects at the least.
    "Erm, you misunderstand, I mean women willing to make clothing... I'm freezing in my underwear here and..."
    Maybe... Maybe Banana would let him have the clothing? But it was awful, why would he wear it?
    You know these people could use some hope couldn't they? He could use the lamp inside of a building.

"I mean I guess you could send some who need cheering up."

11. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The king frowns, "you seem to have a number of strange misconceptions. First of all I do not 'send' anyone, a king asks subjects, sometimes with a great deal of authority and influence but even at the height of my power I did not 'send' subjects that were not in my direct employ. As you surmise my influence is limited here so I make requests in the hope of our shared survival needs."

"Secondly if it is clothing you desire you would be looking for a tailor, a profession that is not restricted to women nor are more women apt to have talent in it than men." His tone has a lecturing quality to it, though it's not completely cold. "Perhaps in your culture you require your women to learn this craft, we are more equal in opportunity here. Nonetheless I will make sure your request is heard, though I do not believe we have any tailors in our small group."

12. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

"In my world it was do what the kings says or lose your head most the time. Well unless the people revolted and took his head." Not in his time period mind you, but some time before. He knew that much. "Interesting... could you ask someone to explain stats and levels in a basic way as well? Like say... a child?"

13. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The tone of the audience visibly wilts, a few of the people gathered turn briefly away eyes clouded. The king himself looks slightly darker but presses on saying simply, "there are no children in the village."

"If you have questions about our world the Arnl would probably be best for it. He is resting at the moment, the ritual to bring you here too much out of him, but you could visit him in the morning."

14. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

"Oh... I see." That decides it gods or not things are truly at their worst if there aren't even children. "I'll do my best so you can see smiling children. Lets works towards securing better resources." Douglas nods and holds the lamp up. "Do you recognize this? Thomas said it made him feel better with the light it produced."
    He didn't want to light it, it may give their position away out in the open like this.

15. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The king looks at it intently a moment giving it due consideration before saying, "no, I'm afraid the quality of it is above my level to appraise. Arn Garath should be able to tell more, assuming he is recovered sufficiently to examine it."

16. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

In the awkwardness of calming down, she sees the villagers disperse at the mention of children. She bounces toward someone, "Anyone got an instrument? I can play out a tune to liven things up!" She gives a toothy grin, this is a place where she didn't have to be what she was told to be. She didn't have to be a princess, royalty of any sort, she could just be herself. A mischievous kitsune with a lot of energy to go around.

17. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

There's some muttering back and forth through the crowd but ultimately no one steps forward to Haru's request. After a moment the king chimes in, "I didn't think there would be. It is a kind offer but unfortunately we arrived here with very little more than the clothes on our backs. I dispatched a few servants to gather supplies however they have yet to arrive."

"So at this point we have a few days worth of food and some raw materials salvaged from the homes in the village that were too damaged to be worth trying to salvage."

18. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

"Can we see these materials once we rest?"

19. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The king chuckles. "Certainly, though there isn't a lot to see, some lumber and stone that was in serviceable condition. While not the most heroic of ways to spend your time we certainly can use all the help we can get."

20. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

She clears her throat, "No matter," she looks to find some sort of slightly higher perch to climb up onto so she can have an easier noticability before speaking again.

"Men and women of this place, this may not be where home was, but together as a people, we can find a new home if we cannot take back the kingdom. I will die to make sure there is a future for all of you, I swear this on my title of hero. On my title of princess in my home world, we. Will. Not. Fall." Her bleeding heart seeping through again, before she begins to sing.

Roll(1d20)+3:
    19,+3
    Total:22

21. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

The people listen morosely as Haru sings, clearly touched by the message delivered by the red-orange colors of the sun set. When she finishes for a moment there's silence before a chill wind picks up, a shiver passes across the crowd as it passes and a flicker of movement passes across the sunset. A single scrap of parchment is flutters on the wind landing still at Haru's feet.

It appears torn out of some volume and it's written as if part of a longer story though the hand writing is bold and confident as if someone has written this same passage many times.
    On the back is a more formally written addition, in the same hand as the first.

22. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

While the singing was nice to Douglas the message didn't really resonate with him. Especially the whole dying part, but still it relaxed his body.

23. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

Haru recites the verse on the back, unsure of her words, but confident in demeanor, afterward folding the paper and tucking it into her shirt pocket. "Mourn for the fallen, yes. But rejoice as you have the chance to live another day, to pass on your wisdom to others. As we celebrate the arrival of heroes, celebrate the lives of the heroes that gave themselves for you." She smiles, happy with her speech, "Thank you kind folk for your time." She bows deeply from her perch, hoping to have drawn more confidence and moral to the people. "You are all heroes in my tome." Haru hops down, dismissing the crowd as best she can before trotting over to the others again.

24. Vergil Busy procrastinating

Banana had taken the green suit and looking at her maid uniform with chainmail over it, decides that it would be an upgrade.

Once at the village, she is completely unaware of the mood and awkwardness and monotonously asks the King " This unit has queries that remained unanswered.

1. Primary Objective is to 'Save People': Please define who is ally and who is foe. This unit recognizes that 'black armored army' is identified as foe. Skeletons are identified as foe. Monsters - beings borne of mana identified as foe. Bananas are identified as delicious. All in this village and under The King's rule are identified as ally. Please update this list as necessary.
    2. What happened to the children.
    3. Do you know who the following people are/were:

Eline Boesveld]
    Bungrar Onyxbrew]
    Lusha Yinre]
    Dilug Stormblood]
    Adelard Gamge]
    Grathic Flaskbor]
    Shiro Fothinm]
    Cadan Rabli]
    Conwenna Stephen]
    Keishara Qinsalor]
    Hiroonap Womyddniss]
    Jannalor Wynkian]

4. Do 'People' need any immediate 'Saving'?"

As she waits for a response, she begins stripping and puts on the green armor.

25. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"... Actually I wouldn't mind taking that dress."

27. Vergil Busy procrastinating

Banana stops for a moment as she is pulling down her skirt and looks up at Haru. "Is there a specific time of day when this is done?"

She turns to Douglas. "This dress is of the wrong specification. Query: do you require aid in altering the uniform to your frame?"

28. Unlosing Ranger Transcending Time

"Oh... you can? Yeah. I could use assistance in altering it."

29. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

"...Yknow what? I give up." She takes a long breath, rubbing the bridge of her nose and turning her back on the other two.

30. Vergil Busy procrastinating

Banana nods and takes off her uniform, after no instruction from Haru and changes into her green outfit. She then looks at the uniform and then attempts to Alter it which consists of stabbing it with her rapier.

"Error: no relevant skills available. Compensating with current skills: Stabbing things. Uniform successfully altered with current skills."