1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Martial-Arts Thread (Karate, Judo, Kendo, etc)

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by narong, Oct 10, 2004.

1. narong Wisdom of the West

does anybody study/train/do a type of martial art(s)? what do you do?

i train in brazillian jui-jitsu and western boxing .. im tryin get into muy thai kick boxing

Tags:
  2. Mobius Engage

I've been practicing for 2 and a half years, I should get my black belt this december. ^___^

3. its fang overflow

i do tai chi chuan and some wushu. i used to do Kung Li Chuan which is something from Shaolin.

4. fenixhacka t3H L@Zy BoI

i learned wu shu but kinda sucked at it, later i went to learn karate and got a red belt. i think tae kundo(i forgot how to spell it) is just plain stupid, swift long kicks and useless front punchs that seems not harmful at all. i'm currently learning ninja fighting styles in a ninja school. i havent learned anything in a week yet, i guess its a start :D

5. Shikamaru The Genius

I know Muy Thai, Jujitsu, Tae Kwon Do, and a limited amount of Jeet Kun Do. I taught myself Karate too, if that counts.

6. narong Wisdom of the West

was just wanderin .. japanese jujitsu? or brazillian jui-jitsu?

7. its fang overflow

i have an urge to take up thai kick boxing like the movie ong bak.

8. Keikeiko Shadow-bound Ninja

I take Kendo (Japanese fencing for all who don't know) and I've been training for about 15 months. I'm 4th Kyu and I'm aiming for 2nd Kyu by December ^.^

9. Skye Purple People Eater

10. HemiBijin New Member

at the moment i don`t do nothing (sesious knee injury, can jupm or run fast)But next autum i`ll start budo bujikan taijutsu and Kendo.

11. Praetorian Praetorian

12. Yuhi ANBU ******

Muay thai (3 years) and Judo (7 years), r my passions within martial arts :cool: ...but i think i?m gonna drop Muay thai :( cause dont have time anymore for it with work and Judo...

13. its fang overflow

omg i want to learn muay thai so bad. that's from ong bak correct? i was imitating the moves this morning at practice lol

14. fenixhacka t3H L@Zy BoI

i learned kendo but it was a pain in the ass, i'm learning raijiken moves that need speed and accuracy and always owned by other people so i quit after 3 months, my whole body was surrounded with bruises

15. Keikeiko Shadow-bound Ninja

16. Yuhi ANBU ******

my cousin did train Kendo (dunno how long she did it thou)
    so when i visited her last year (in japan) i tried it on, took pictures of it.
    gotta say that its a really cool/nice outfit.

17. ahheng21 Singapore's SpamKing

now i'm learning tae-kwon do.... currently brown belt... i must say that TKD has many beautiful kicks

18. Jh1stgen Active Member

I did taekwondo couple of years ago but had to quit bc I'd a car accident, and no, don't get the impression that I'm crippled from wiast below. I'm still thinking of a return =)

19. nvm452 New Member

I learned judo and got a brown belt when i was only 10 :)... then my knee got seriously injured and i couldn't run or jump or sit on my knees for about 3 years :(... that's why i quit judo.
    Atm i don't do any martial art

20. CloroxBleach Soul Reaper

I am a 2 stripe Blue belt in Gracie Jiu-jitsu (relson Gracie Academy)
    and Is where I train
    been training for about 5 years now

I am a brown belt in Aikido (though I don't go anymore)
    I also train in muay thai but only for about a year

21. narong Wisdom of the West

whoa! a gracie jiu-jitsu diciple! i envy you ... i self taught myself to do jui-jitsu through the gracie books that they sell at barnes n nobles with the help of my friends who actually take the class with Nick Diaz from UFC ... but i'd like to learn from the gracie academy ... been doin jui-jitsu for 2 years only

22. CloroxBleach Soul Reaper

I have rolled with Relson (obviously), Royce, Rickson, royler (one of the smoothest and the most technical Gracie I have ever rolled with) and Bustamante as well as Helio.

Rickson is the most talented and well balanced. I lasted about 2 minutes with him He has speed, power and an overall unbeatable technical game (old school).

Royler is just so impressive with his knowledge and technical skills he has the most NEW AGE moves.

I actually learned alot from BJ penn as well. But I can honestly say Relson has the best method of teaching JJ. Its easy to grasp the BASIC concepts and you will learn so fast. He also teaches you to teach yourself how to adapt to position and create your own moves.

We have open mat on Saturdays (open to anyone in the public to come down and challenge or train for free)
    We mostly get these Kempo or TKD guys come down and say they want to see what GJJ has to offer but we know they come down to TEST the GJJ.

One time we had a 21 year old Judo guy come down, Brown belt, He took 2nd place in state champs Here.

They let him roll with one of the 17yr old kids (blue belt)
    He was tapping out most of the day.

I also seen one of Relsons kid class students (I think about 7 or 8) roll with a 15 year old off the street and just dominated the 15 yr old it was quite funny.

I usually go to open mat to see the people walk into the dojo all rough and attitude looking (most of the students that train in GJJ here are so humble and we all look NON-confrontational), well these HARD CORE guys come in and roll for about 20min (and you know how trying and tiresome just 20min can do) then leave with their head down or end up joining first thing monday morning.
    relson does encourage you to stay in your other matial art (he even ask if you are a Purple belt or higher in another art if you would be willing to TEACH your art to your fello GJJ students) So at Relsons school we learn a lot of Judo, Aikido and muay thai. Mainly Judo for takedowns though.

You know sometimes during the week (I go twice a week) I have to miss class due to College and that night I usually end up dreaming about training at the dojo WIERD eh. JJ really does become part of your life I know when i don't go I get depressed and anxiously await the next class practice.

Fav move is Knee to chest then to Arm bar
    Or Guard to fake arm bar then to Triangle choke.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  23. narong Wisdom of the West

its amazing to meet someone on the forum that actually trains with the gracies and even bj penn .. 20 minutes of rollin takes a lot out of a person! we use to have endurance matches were you stay on the mat and roll with 7 different guys one after another. but im guessin you heard of Nick Diaz (to CloroxBleach) he trains at Pacific Coast here in our little city of Stockton, California.

even though im not a certified jj with no sort of belts .. my favorites move is the knee bar which im tryin to perfect ...

24. CloroxBleach Soul Reaper

Knee bars and ankle locks are a great technique to learn.

especialy now that most people like to go knee to belly
    Or even half guards (Butterfly), Dela riva style guards ETC
    Most of the new comers focus a lot on their arms and knecks and TOTALY leave their legs for you to DOMINATE on. (I love those ankle lock as well).

My fav move for leg submission would be when im in someones guard you lean to one side and press their KNEE on the mat, you use elbows out to break the ankles and you quickly slide your knee onto his inner thigh (sort of like a Half guard pass). They will usually shrimp the opposite way (hoping to either transition to your back or bring their other leg over for a sweep to mount). let them shrimp and the swing the leg that is on his inner thigh over his head grab under his knee joint hold it to your chest and just sit back and look straight up , Finally just wait for the tap LOL

Yes the people I probably trained with the most have been Relson, Rickson and Royler (they visit hawaii about 4-6 times a year and MORE when the ADCC, Arnold classic and around the Pan AM games). They come to hawaii to train in the hot weather (which is much like Brazil from what they tell me). I'm lucky too I get a bit more SECRETS given to me cause i'm half portuguese.

I joined GJJ (at the time I didn't even know to much about it) when i was invited to an open mat. I was boxing at the time and did an Aikido demonstration at a local mall. A friend invited me and told me they could use some of the locking techniques of Aikido and they could teach me ground game (you know that most REAL fights end up on the ground). Man NARONG I was so cocky I thought Jiu-jitsu is a lot like judo and when we have open mat at Aikido I would be able to lock the judo guys easy once they grab my GI I would just move into a lock also I knoew Jiu-jitsu was the basis for Aikido so I thought hey I'm a brown belt I know all the locks they'll try to throw at me I'll just counter everything and have about 50% of the dojo come over to the Aikido dojo and train. OMG this Blue belt wiped the mat with my ass. I was just demolished FAST and HARD. I mean They took me down in seconds and just dominated me. I was this kids bitch man. Next day I started training (the hell i knew who the hell RELSON gracie was) Now I'm a blue belt 2 stripe under Relson Gracie. I want to get my Purple belt in the next 3 years then i can open up an affiliated school and teach white to blue belt level classes.

25. narong Wisdom of the West

i used to believe the ground game wasnt worth learning, i always thought if your quick enough you wouldnt be on the ground anyways, but soon i learn people can take you down easily especially if you're not aware, like judo, for every strike you attempt, they'll attempt to take you down. but when i first started bjj it was kind of wierd being in someones guard or bein in guard (u know what i mean), but after havin someone in my guard i can see why its called a "guard" ... bjj hellp me understand why the ground game is important and now how i see things, it is the most important aspect in a real fight because people of the streets dont really pay attention to bjj, its rare to meet up people who do bjj in the martial arts in my area ... so ill be glad to break someones leg to teach em a lesson :)

thanks for the lower body submission tip, i'll suprise people with that because majority of the people i train do not focus much on legs either, which is why i want to specialize in lower body submission

26. CloroxBleach Soul Reaper

Yes so true about the ground game in my PRE-jiujitsu days. its so funny to hear people say YOU'LL never take me down, or I'll just knee your face, I'll punch you before you even grab me LOL I've heard it all (I think sprawling is the BEST and most EFFECTIVE way to avoid a take down). time after time I see these braggers get taken down, all styles Muay Thai, TKD, Kempo, Hwrang Do, Hapkido, Wing chun, Judo (a bit harder but What I do is let them take me down and I hold on for dear life so they fall right to the ground with me) Boxing, traditional Kick boxing, Wrestling (another one too they can pin and distribute wieght very good but the don't know how to finish I usually use a Gi cause they have a tendency to grab it, they also like to keep their waist/ASS high making it easier to sweep, Also they are the easiest to get leg locks on). All arts i have seen get taken down SO FAST (usually a distraction blow- keep it High always keep your head high and your shoulders and hands up this gives them a tendency to also concentrate and meet you on the same level nice and high, then you throw a over hand slap so they Glance up thats all it take a glance upward and you immediately shoot in using the human bodies natural tendency to want to push you away or grab as you get closer). once on the ground its amazing how little power they have to strike.
    When i first started doing NHB grappling at the Gracie academy i was deathly afraid to lift my face from the guys chest, till one day Relson told me I couldn't put my face on his chest (help me get over that fear) and the guy tried to punch from his guard and it didn't hurt much at all (more of a push type of feeling) or they never reached my face.

I suggest that all artist go get the Gracie in Action videos
    REAL fights recorded, real challenges (they had an add in the paper in brazil that they would close their school if anyone could defeat them in a NHB ANYTHING GOES match).
    Its so funny to see what happens to almost all the styles that came. the Kempo guy was trying to ball grab and punch Rickson so rickson chokes him out its so funny.
    That one TKD guy challenged them about 3 times saying after the first time he knew their game and could defend against it now, Royce was told to choke him out using the same choke everytime and he most certainly did. I think no match lasted more than 2 minutes. All live action

Another good tapes you should get is the gracie basics and advanced series (eBay is your frined bro)
    Also Machados or Sperry tapes are excellent for those who aren't able to train with a gracie or machado.

get a good buddy (I used my cousin who is about 80lbs heavier than me and about 9inches taller) to train and practice what you see on the tapes.
    Now my cousin is from oregan and was too shame to train at the Gracie academy so he bought the tapes and asked me to come train with him (I was only a white belt about 3 months into the art). It helped me so much and well my cousin still never joined the academy but he qualified for Extreme fighting here in hawaii in fact his ground game was considered that of a blue belt level to the judges (its a pre entry try out, you fight NHB to see if your good enough to compete on the circuit) He dominated on the ground just from training with TAPES and ME :)

27. hunnysan DJ Hunny

i've taken kenpo...and tkd..and a little of aikido...my favorite of all three has to be kenpo....

but now i really wanna try out kendo..and i've been lookin around for a cool dojo in my area...but haven't found one yet...i wish martial arts could be cheaper :eek: :eek:

28. Keikeiko Shadow-bound Ninja

I'll ask my sensei and see what he says. He might be able to recommend some in your area

29. hunnysan DJ Hunny

thanks for helpin out..i've always been amazed by kendoist

30. beaver terrorist guild wars super fan

Man all you guys can get any sports wanted ( ju jitsu tai jistu) but I in france I do viet vo dao caus its the oly martial art other than judo that i can do in my town. I'd really wanna start Kendo but the only club is 100 km from my place :(.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004