1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Mary Sue anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Sabaku no Ira, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

I'm rather surprised that there hasn't been a thread dedicate to our all-perfect, all beloved Mary Sue here yet, since Mary Sues are the most common feature (mistake in most cases) in a lot of fanfics with original characters (mine, for example, but I'm going to fix that). Therefore I've made this thread in order to have a place where people can discuss the problem of Mary Sueism and how to deal with them. (I think I'll just gave a couple of phobias to my characters... :p)

Tags:
  2. BarbNara Silent like a shadow...

I used to make Mary Sues, and then I saw the light...No more Mary-Sues!!!!!! The story loses a lot if you put a Mary -_-

3. Shiari Lurking around in the shadows.

I don't really think I have any characters that are really Mary Sue.

Hey! Are ya character a mary sue even if she doesn't have every male fall over heels in love with her, But is still somewhat godly er... Mean godness looking?

4. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

I seriously doubt that, for most of the time an exceptionally ugly woman is just as rare as an exceptionally pretty woman. In fact, I somehow think that the most "un-Mary Sue" characters are actually quite Mary Sue since a lot of people know what Mary Sue are and try too hard not to make one (for example, an ugly princess is all right, but an ugly, mean, nasty normal peasant is quite abundant).

5. skmt999 4th Division Captain

The problem is, if you try to write any kind of self-insert (almost as evil as the dreaded mary-sue) then you run into problems. No one wants to be powerless and freindless in a strange universe.

Everyone wants to see themselves in these new worlds. The also want to be better off there than they are here. Even if they go through hell to do so, it's the vicarious adventure that they wouldn't have otherwise. It's all too easy to go overboard on giving your character (yourself or a third party 'original') too much power, or have a favorite character fall for theirs. It's a problem, which a lot of people get around by simply not doing self-inserts of any kind. They create a character which is as much unlike themselves as they can still write about. And again, sometimes the very opposite of themselves can be trouble.

But fanfics in general are tricky creatures. You have to balance them just right between 'canon', your particular vision, and still have it be a 'good read'.

6. Fairady Humorously Twisted

I think the problem with all the Mary Sues would be a little more tolerable if the people writing them would admit that they're Mary Sues. Nothing irks me more than a person saying "This is NOT a Mary Sue fic!" When their character is the long lost twin sister of an Uchiha who is the bastard child of a Hyuuga as well so that's why she has both clan's abilities. Oh, and she's Naruto's mom reincarnated as an elf so she's got special magical abilites that somehow allow her to go Kyuubi on people.

Sorry about the rant, just had to get that out of my system.

Heres a pretty good litmus test for OC characters. It'll tell you how much of a Mary Sue the character is.

7. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

Hum... odd. Neither of my characters are Mary Sues according to your test, while I got something like 50+ in a test where they had to be thrown away. But then I do have Mary Sues there for a reason: it becomes more despairing when even the Mary Sues can do nothing to help a situation.

Also, however, I think that the Gaara part is far too outdated: if you've read the latest manga (or even the latest anime, I think) you'll know why.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  8. skmt999 4th Division Captain

Damn, that test wipes out my entire DreamGate self-insert series.
    I openly admit that it's a self-insert though...

I make damn sure that I'm a 'me' as I can make it, and that I have to figure out a way to coexist with my new universe or die. (I'm reasonably attractive, but not anything special - see my pics in the member pic section)

It's possible to make a MarySue/Self Insert fic that is a 'good read'. But it's pretty rare.

I totally agree about the ones that scream up and down how NOT Sue-like they are. Just admit it and get it over with. I'm more likely to read a self-admited Sue story than one that says it isn't, but is.

*reads more of the test*
    Yeah, other than the 'stop here' for self-insert, I'd classify as non Sue by their standards.
    I scored a few bad points for a few things that aren't my fault. (I used to have hair I could sit on, and like to write myself that way. I'm so sorry I cut it.)
    I'm going to add strong empathy in the psychic section and take a point, since in my story I use it to detect people, nin-style.

-I invented an Aburame character to stalk me (I have a real-life stalker, so I figured, why not?) so I don't know how that rates on the 'bad-o-meter'

I didn't actually add them up, but I think I'm in the 6-13 range. Scary, but not bad. As long as I remember it's a self insert for my own amusement.

This is why I don't share my stories. Only I am amused at myself. :laugh

9. Shiari Lurking around in the shadows.

Yin Yi`Jing got 6 or 7 points. Yay! ^_^

Now I think about it... The fanfic didn't last long. >.>

10. kumagoro_usagi Hef's Personal Glomper

I once wrote a Mary Sue but never posted it.

This is an old Mary Sue Parody fic I wrote for Lord of the Rings a while ago:

Contrary Mary?s Clich? Catalogue -

11. Wrath Mourning

I don't think I've ever written a Mary Sue. I do have a lot of OCs in my stories, but none of them are all-powerful or reality warping or stupidly beautiful or anything like that.

12. Aternox Rat on Crack

ROFL to that.
    I tested my OC characters a with that. Got averages 4 or 5. Well, I think it's mostly because all the chara I made up are just here to be fit, lol. Like a lazy waitress who keeps sleeping, and old lecherous Mama-san and a bouncy prostitute. They're just here to be random. They tend to dissapear each time the characters change places.
    Mary-Sue are a plague. Let's fight them!
    Look at that fic. Really good at Sue-killing.

13. Shiari Lurking around in the shadows.

Oh my... That was so funny!

I am so tempt to make a Inuyasha Fanfic killing Mary Sues.. :p

14. skmt999 4th Division Captain

Mary-Sue Yokai!!!! Nuuuu! Or, I'd guess there's more Sue Hanyous than full Youkai. It's more.... Sue-ish. Gah.

*raises the Down With Sue banner*

You write that, and I'd read it. :rofl

15. Sabaku no Ira Mortius of Phyrexia

I don't think that an extremly powerful OC is that much of a problem. After all, s/he can have other weaknesses that can make him/her weak in certain situations (imagine a Goku who's afraid of blood! lol). Nor I don't think that a beautiful OC is a problem either. The problems are OCs that are good at everything. I don't think anyone can pull off a God-like character (in fanfics or otherwise) that will still be good (unless they have twice the amount of personality than a normal human being...)

16. Shiari Lurking around in the shadows.

Hah... I will remember to write that someday... Hehehehe...*Has idea how she could to them.... Like Wind tunnel them!* Bwhahahahahahah!

Hey! What if ya tried to make a fate tpye character... and I mean a character that is Fate.... just with another name or just has the name Fate?

*Wonder if her fusion of Miroku and Sango counts as a Mary Sue*

>.> ...Never mind what I just wrote. :p

17. Azure Ihrat Pace is the Trick Retired Staff

I started writing fanfic at 12, and I'm glad i got flamed for the one Mary-Sue fic I wrote.

Mary Sues annoy me. They're most of the time wish-fulfilment by fangirls. With a tragic past! OMG! New, mysterious girl! And everyone falls in love with her! Who will she choose?

Problem is, the amount of MS fics are multiplying.

18. Therahedwig Parodie Nin

The thing about mary-sues is that their characterristics like stunningly beautifull, isn't their signature characteristic, which is that they are able to warp canon wherever they go:
    Example, there was this 'reallifeninja' sue somethime ago, who bamfed into the narutoworld, and ends up at the Akatsuki hideout(And she says something like 'OMG this is the Akatsuki hideout!'), how she recognises it? I have *no* idea...
    Anyway, she meets Itachi, who for strange reasons just lets himself be told-off by miss. sue, and then our sue just walks away, though Itachi stops her... To ask her name.

Now in the above example, the sue has no special quality mentioned, but due what the story does for her, you can see that it's a sue...
    Another non specific characteristic, is those long, way too detailed discriptions.

I haven't written any sues yet, but that's mainly because I knew of the existence of the mary-sue, before I started to write anything.
    And I have a, no three proofreaders, who all know the term, and are very well-read.

19. Bya Bya Sasgay <3

I don't like fanfics with original characters in them. Especially with the all-perfect ones.