1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

"Midoriya breaks the stereotype"

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by DarkSlayerZero, Sep 2, 2018.

1. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

That one was fun.

Tags:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Courier Six Lord of Dreams

Flag:
    Egypt, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Serbia, Russia, Portugal, Germany, France, England, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco, Sokovia, Poland, Iceland, Barbados, Canada, China, United States, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago
    Catdank Faction:
    Deku will further break the toxic patriarchy when it’s revealed that he’s in fact gay and black at the same time :catsalute

3. Ignition Revolving Vaudaville

Oh trust me, Tumblr loves that one.

I can never understand why they love to draw black Deku so much. I have yet to see a black asian :noah

4. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Claudio Swiss Well-Known Member

:facepalmed:facepalmed:facepalmed:martin:martin:martin

6. Courier Six Lord of Dreams

Flag:
    Egypt, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Serbia, Russia, Portugal, Germany, France, England, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco, Sokovia, Poland, Iceland, Barbados, Canada, China, United States, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago
    Catdank Faction:
    :wth
    @The Death & The Strawberry is blasian bro.

7. Ruthless Tsuchikage Active Member

Most shonen main leads are bratty. Midoriya is a good boy.

Most Shonen leads are outgoing. Midoriya is introverted

Most Shonen leads are dumb. Midoriya is smart.

Most Shonen leads are baddass. Midoriya is a nerd

Most Shonen leads barely cry. Midoriya often cries.

8. Yagami1211 The Dragon of Dojima

France
    Catdank Faction:
    Kenshiro did it first.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

I kinda agree to that. Deku isn't your generic-type shonen MC.

I'm not saying that his writting doesn't have flaws, but he actually does a pretty good job at not being Asta-level generic.

10. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

Memes aside, he is definitely a nice new take as a main character, basically what Tsuda from KHR should have been...they actually kinda look similar too...

11. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Define "generic type shounen MC" in depth. No one word answers.

12. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

i don't think ive seen a hero that doesn't cry
    what this bish talking bout

13. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

Well Deku cries more than the average hero, basically I think the sentiment they were on is Deku is more emotionally open and within more healthy and, quote, 'realistic' relationships than a lot of other shonen protags to play abit into the manly stereotype, even if it isn't to an excessive degree.

14. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

A super headstrong, stubborn, simple minded sort of guy. Granted, Deku can have these traits in the heat of a moment like the Training Camp arc, but usually he's more open minded, reasonable, attentive and even a bit meek. He's not exactly a Naruto or a Luffy, which is more than often what the standard is.

15. Aros001 Member

Not to mention romantic feelings. Most Shonen MC's either show almost no interest in romance/sex or are very pervy. One extreme or the other. It's pretty outright shown that Midoriya has a crush on Uraraka, and when it comes to other girls, while he certainly blushes heavily when he has an attractive girl suddenly lying on top of him, he tends to just be very friendly. He's not a pervert but he does have a girl that he really likes. Generally speaking, the closest the protagonist gets to romance this early in his story is when there's someone else who likes him, who's affection he's usually oblivious to.

16. Courier Six Lord of Dreams

Flag:
    Catdank Faction:
    Except he has never showed that :dank

17. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

True, but I see where he's coming from. Romance in shonen is pretty nonexistent in terms of actual romantic development, the fact Deku would(probably) not be against it if moves were on Uraraka's part made and any confusion on his part would be more 'There's no way she's into me' which is infinitely more relatable and interesting than 'lol what's up with her' is a huge plus.

18. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    I said Deku is boring because he may not be the stereotype, but he is molding into one. :catshrug

I actually like his crying side, cats just cant handle crying people, but I like wimps. Then he pretty much stopped the crying part.

That said he is a good MC anyways.

19. Aros001 Member

I mean that it's shown to the audience, not the other characters. He's had plenty of comments to himself about how cute she is, acting really nervous when she's really close to him or flattering him, and it stands out because Uraraka is the only girl he acts this way around. The only exception was one time with Mei when she literally landed on top of him and he could see down her shirt. Otherwise, other girls he's interacted with such as Tsuyu, Mina, and Jiro he's fine around, acting like he would with anyone else.

The only other Shonen MC's I can think of off the top of my head who had crushes shown to the audience were Naruto with Sakura and Yugi with Anzu. I'm sure there's more, but it's definitely a minority compared to the MC's like Ichigo, Goku, Luffy who have no visible interest in any form of romance.

20. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

21. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

Loud mouthed, simple-minded guy who is ALWAYS psyched and hype as fuck for the kind of adventure he is going to(Like, in Luffy's case it's an actual adventure, in Asta's case is a mission, so on and so forth), which makes it seem dull the " going on an adventure ", because it's fun to see the guy psyched for the first 6 arcs, later it just turns into something tasteless, the "psycheness" doesn't really look legit, Deku, on the other hand, is of course always hyped to do hero stuff, but some things he's more hyped to than the others, let's take ... College for example, at the start we are very hyped and we want to do everything we possibly can, progressing a little bit you won't have the same enthusiasm to take some classes because you already get the hang of it and it's not what you expected, but you will still take the classes and, in your head, it will be something like "I hate this but this is necessary if I want to graduate " and that will be the main reason to get hyped at all, while in other classes you absolutely love the class and doesn't need the thought of " It's not something I like but I have to do this to get graduated ", I mean if everything is a reason to get hyped by, then nothing is, you know what I mean ? Not only that but he shows his insecurities, he thinks if he'll be able to do the stuff that he's supposed to do, he doubts himself, he has low self-esteem and as annoying as it sometimes it is(And I'll agree if you say it is annoying), it is more relatable. Who here doesn't have doubts if it's possible to achive the dream we strive for ? I'll speak for myself but I am full of doubt. In this aspect, he remembers me somewhat of a better version of Tsuna, Tsuna being, IMO, Deku + Ichigo type of character(Deku because he wasn't dumb like, Goku dumb, and was more of a socially awkward guy because he was your average guy who isn't really good at anything and Ichigo because he needed the plot to move him along, not his own resolve or something like that). It is quite refreshing in contrast to someone like Asta, who just stacks shonen generic tropes on top of more shonen generic tropes. I have to say that the one thing I felt irritated the most was always the guy being a fucking potato-level retard and in battle being a super uper mega genius. I mean, ok, cognitive dissonance but it can only go so far.

22. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

What manga are you reading fam ? He clearly has a crush on Uraraka.

23. Imagine

This is what happens when your first shounen is Shingeki no Kyojin.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Deku x 1
    • List
  24. Luiz Well-Known Member

Ah, great. I love a good old SJW analysis. Really.

Anime protagonists have been crying for a long time now. The last stoic one was... what, Kenshiro?

Because Deku has curly hair and black people "obviously" are the only ones with that trait. Also, braids are totally a black culture exclusive thing.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  25. ~VK~ The King

Wait really? Blasians are gods gift to man, son :wow

26. ~VK~ The King

Not really. Deku x ochako is bound to happen eventually but it's been pretty one sided so far. He's got his moments of shyness and blushing because he used to be a lonely nerd with minimal interaction with the opposite sex but it's never outright shown that he has genuine romantic feelings for her. Definitely not in the same way ochako has shown them.

27. Aros001 Member

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there. But I must ask, if it's not a crush then why is Uraraka the only girl he gets really shy and blushing around? Yeah, he interacts with her the most but we've seen Midoriya around other girls his own age, in both crisis and relaxed situations, and he never is as shy and blushing with them. There is a difference in Midoriya's mind between Uraraka and say Tsuyu, Ashido, Jiro, and Mei, and I don't know what else that difference would be if not a crush.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  28. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Use paragraphs next time, it's a serious struggle just to read this.

On the Asta part, it makes sense that he isn't smart since he never had a proper education. Him being good at swordsmanship makes sense due to him receiving proper training at one point as well him working out for years.

29. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

I'm recovering from 48 hours of drinking, it's a struggle to write at all, let alone in another language.

No, it doesn't make sense(As in, there's no direct reason) for him to be a MC of shonen type of character, other than the reason that he is a MC of shonen. Not being calm and collected and trying to think things through does not have anything to do with him being or not being educated formally or not, which either is bad writting or he actually has some level of education(He lived in a church-based orphanage ... Church based orphanages are well known to indoctrinate some general manners from a very young age, specially catholic and the church looks really like a catholic one, or rather, the equivalent of the catholic church in the verse).

He is what he is because that's a formula that works: the loud mouthed hyperactive dumb guy who is always screaming his dream at every possible person he meets and is somewhat special to the rest of the cast. Either he's the " chosen one " or his style of fighting/source of power is alien to that universe, that is the "wrong context magic " trope(Similar to how Blackbeard is a logia but can't turn intangible).

30. ~VK~ The King

She's not. He gets like that when a girl gets too close/comfortable around him. Case in point hatsume.