1. The first My Hero Academia Banner Contest is here! We are pleased to invite you to participate.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest,

Voting for the first Konoha Country Club Poetry Competition is live!

Please check out the Entries here.

Place your votes in the 1st Choice Vote thread here and the 2nd Choice Vote thread here.

-- NarutoForums Staff

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  7. [​IMG]

House of Uzumaki has a new banner contest! Please, check here for details and place your vote.

Dismiss Notice

Mind Over Matter

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Deleted member 84471, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Anyone think they can train their brains into stopping pain? Well those guys who stick knives and swords through their faces must be doing something unknown to the commoners. Telekinesis, psychics? Hypnosis? Bullshit?

Tags:
  2. T4R0K Searching for a custom title

Well, pain is simply a message from the hurt region to the brain. I guess it may be possible to condition your brain to control the instinctive reaction, though still receiving that "information".

Sometimes, a feeling of pain can be exagerated by panic. You know, people going all "WUUAAAAHHHHH !!!!" for little things. I used to be one, so I know. The pain "feels" real, but it's just the brain amplifying the message.

I dunno how it works, but I guess ut's a question of mental training.

3. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

i think its probably possible to do this to a degree but only to a degree

4. rawwr Tryin' to be nice.

That's not really mind over matter, it's more like mind over mind.

5. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

good point! its all about controlling your mental reactions you arent actually changing your bodys physical reactions.... excellent insight but pretty obvious now that i think of it

6. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

I disagree, all scienctific experiments into people being able to stand huge amounts of pain have shown that there is clearly a huge change in the body, it's not blocking out pain it's not experiencing any. Thus it is mind over body and yes I believe it's possible but it takes a lot of time, focus and training to do it.

7. T4R0K Searching for a custom title

I've tried this. It's not very cool, and maybe a little stupid, but see it as an experiment :

Holding as long as possible something hot in the hand (well, not SUPER HOT, but something you'd usually drop in an instant), and try to either focus on enduring, or actually think of something totally different ! You'll sense that at some moments, it doesn't hurt that much. But I'm not seeing you'll feel at ease, but you could overcome some stuff.

Of course, my experiment is for sissies and other people that scream to death for small stuff. I'm kindov a sissy... sometimes... :sweatdrop

But I'm actually meant to be able to sustain such pains. I sometimes find some wounds on me I didn't feel, and they start hurting at the moment I see them. Must be the brain seeing the wound automatically creating the feeling of pain. I once fucked up a finger real bad without noticing, and when I casually looked at my hand, I was all "UWAAAAAAHHH !!!"

8. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

Perceptation is powerful, if you think it should hurt you'll make it hurt. If you think it shouldn't hurt and hold fast to that idea I find it hurts less.

9. DemonAbyss10 Demigod

yeah, pain and perception go hand in hand

10. Elyon CP9 Liason

And you know, the most famous case of this:
    China's pride and glory. The very thing that people associate most with the Asian Culture:
    Iron Body Karate.

The art of training your entire body into stone-iron like toughness.

11. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

Sorry to nit pick but karate is a japanese thing, it's more properly called iron body kung fu or just iron body. Yeah I know minor point but sorta of important one.

12. Elyon CP9 Liason

Sorry, meant just Martial Arts in general. Iron Body is a concept used in most if not all martial arts in one way or another though. It's the one thing that's sure to come to most people's minds once they think of the Asian culture.

13. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

No i understand and it's just a minor point to most people, but having done karate and kung fu I can tell you that not everyone would consider it a minor point.

14. Mintaka Well-Known Member

It's not easy though it requires a fuck lot of concentration and willpower.

And once it wears off.........

15. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

Yes..they're doing something I'm utterly incapable of..being really, really stupid to the point they disregard possibility of bad infection or going into shock.

16. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

17. Well they can do it without appearing to feel pain, regardless of its riskiness or stupidity.

Aside from exclusively the pain issue, 'mind over matter' is said to exist in preventing illness. Apparently keeping a positive attitude strengthens the immune system. One study involved giving a group of people flu vaccinations. Measuring the immunity levels 6 months after the vaccination showed that people who think positively showed more activity on the left side of the prefrontal cortex of the brain and developed a greater rise in influenza antibodies than those who showed more activity on the right side of the prefrontal cortex; who 'tend to have a negative affective style'.

18. Anyone ever hear of raising body temperature at will..

^ A different psychiatrist talking about his experience.

19. impersonal Banned

What kind of "people being able to stand huge amounts of pain" are you talking about? Not feeling any pain from birth is considered a grave illness, and it's not so uncommon.

It's not just said to exist in preventing illness! It's an effect that's very well known. Just google "placebo" ;).

Anyway, I don't think there is any reason to say "mind over matter". It seems to me that it could just as well be matter over matter, if you see what I mean.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  20. drache who's afraid ofa big bad wolf?

Well the experiments I have seen include prolonged exposure in icy water (below freezing) and by prolonged I mean the person doing this conducted an interview while his hand just sat in the water so at least 20 mins. And medical science showed that it didn't hurt because his body said it didn't. Then there's the opposite, hand in boiling hot water though that was limited because the medics monitoring the experiement were worried about burns. Then there is also just plain getting hit by a punch or kick and measuring the pain response.