1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Mineta, Gags, and Character Development

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Wizzrobevox, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

Mineta is a very...interesting character within the world of MHA, as he seems to represent people who would be heroes more so for material possessions and fame than something more sincere or abstract in terms of end goals. Its basically Horikoshi's way of saying 'Yeah, those kinds of people can be heroes, but they don't get to be cool ones, you get to be the socially inept shit ones with a doofy design'. And if you look at it like that, it's sorta an interesting development path to take, and we know Horikoshi likes to give even the more 'problematic' characters a chance to develop and become better people and heroes. But then we have Mineta, a character that has had character development in like...two arcs that hasn't done much to change him as a person.

Now I'd like to discuss Mineta as a person/character. Mineta is a one dimensional gag who's defining characteristic is that he's a sexual deviant loser and a coward. Now, despite this, I can see a lot of potential with this sort of character, I'm actually kind of a fan of cowardly characters because their arcs usually involve nutting up and no longer acting like massive pussies and when it's well done it's the hypest and most satisfying shit, and him being a super perv, in places like his reaction to Deku being with Camie in the License exam or the time the Big three girl talked about his balls, are actually pretty funny. There is a fair bit of potential in making a pretty interesting and dare I say likable character.

So why is he so hated by so many members of the fandom?

If I were to hazard a guess, it's not that he's pervert or a coward or a weakling. It's that up til now, he's ONLY pervert or a coward or a weakling. With no real redeeming qualities to speak of besides a running gag that's divisive at best, it's not hard to see why he'd be such an unliked character, he's appeared on screen and panel a whole lot for someone who adds very little while, for a large number of people, taking away a lot by just being their. Now let's take a second to look at some other running gags in the series.

Deku: Murmurs to himself and cries buckets when emotional
    Bakugou: Easily angered
    Torodoki: Extremely deadpan
    Kaminari: Wheeeeeeey....

The difference between all these running gags and Mineta's 'I'm a pervert' gag is that their gags are byproducts of who they are as people, not their soul defining feature. All of them have well established characters with likable and interesting traits that make them more than just a trope or a stereotype. Mineta doesn't really have that, and having him stand side by side with all these more interesting and entertaining characters really highlights how having him solely be just a gag character, especially with such a divisive gag, is a problem.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want Mineta to die or get kicked out of Class A-1 or be horribly hospitalized or anything, mostly because I don't think it would ultimately do much in terms of improving the story or him as a character, it's like dealing with a splinter in your finger by chopping off your whole finger, it's a dismissive and reductive solution that goes against the messages of the story and spits in the face of both what little development he has had as as characters like Bakugou and Endeavour, as well as what I assume will happen with Gentle.

I don't hate Mineta, but in a way I almost wish I did, because them I could feel something about his character of note. I really do hope Horikoshi follows through with some of his earlier development and explore Mineta because I don't want to sacrifice a potentially good or even great character for the sake of a gag.

Spoiler:
    Plus if the Endeavour arc is anything to go by, the salt generated by it woud be AMAZING :catshades

Tags:
  2. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

People hate him because he is a perverted character that looks ridiculous but is on board with all kinds of morally bankrup characters just because they look badass.

People would also hate him less if he was female :lmao

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. Dragon D. Luffy of the Stars

He's kind of outdated type of character, in terms of shounen. BHA is more of a modern work and this guy looks like something out a 1990s shounen.

People nowadays are wanting to see more three-dimensional characters. Also the pervert thing doesn't resonate that well with modern liberal culture.

Also having a support-type ability doesn't help. He's forever relegated to be the Usopp-type guy who relies on tactics and foul play to win, and people hate those.

Personally I think he's pretty funny, but I wouldn't mind if he got more development. Wouldn't mind if he didn't either, tbh.

4. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

I think people hate him just because he hasn't had a time to shine. At least from the anime he did get his license and he did an amazing job doing all his trials up until now. I have no idea where he gets this 'coward' character from considering he has been up front that his Quirk isn't used for fighting and yet always fights when it comes down to it. I put him on par with Krillin from DB. Why would he fight when he knows he is going to lose? When worst comes to worst he will still go out there and try to stall until the big boys come to play.
    I can see him becoming an amazing support Hero in the future as an adult but that is all he will ever be reserved into being. As for his perverted side I can easily see him be that adult character who is still 'perverted' by society's standards by dating high school girls when he is an adult. He will always be on the outside of the fandom but he is still a great character and as OP put it he just doesn't look "badass" so people write him off. Everyone seems to have a flaw in this manga and his is just too real for people comprehend or deal with.

5. WorldsStrongest Man of Miracles

Canada
    I fuckin love Mineta

People who hate on him cant seem to realize hes not meant to be taken seriously...Hes a gag character through and through and he does that job gloriously. Sure the pervert thing is a tad overdone...But this is a Shonen people, overused tropes and dead horse beaten thematic messages abound in practically EVERY Shonen you can name over the last decade if not even further back. Mineta being a perv is no different.

People need to not look at Mineta so critically...Thats not what his role is even catered to nor how he should be evaluated. What people SHOULD say if they dont like Mineta is that he fails to make them laugh, which is fine and a valid criticism of his role in the franchise, but dont hate on him solely because you dont like his style of humor. You can not laugh at him and still appreciate his attempts at trying.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

I personally have a hunch as to why so many people hate Mineta. Because one thing I've noticed is how people have adored and praised characters like Roshi, Meliodas, and so on so forth. Even characters who have DONE perverted things, such as Kamina. They are fine with the actions of these characters, but not with Mineta. Why is that? If it's the actions Mineta has that upset you, why is it that these other characters get a pass?

It has to do with projection and representation.

People, in our very core, are perverted. Let's face it, sexual thoughts run through our brains a LOT. Whether it's making lewd fanarts of the MHA girls/guys, shipping chars together and writing/reading steamy fanfiction, and praising Horikoshi for fanservice bits... we tend to be a rather perverted and selfish kind. I have a hunch that there are VERY FEW of us that aren't like this.

Just like how some of us see ourselves in characters like Izuku or Todoroki... our perverted side tends to have us latch onto characters that are also perverted like us. I've seen lots of people joke about being a "master roshi" or a "jiraiya", because even though the perverted character traits are there, they also get to be attached to everything badass about the character.

A lot of perverts in these shows do horrible perverted things, and while they might get punished for it, there are a few things they have over Mineta that psychologically hits us, and causes us to be drawn to them, and not Mineta.

Roshi might get slapped around by Bulma and called a scumbag, Meliodas might get stomped on by Hawk... but at the end of the day, they have a whole party of people surrounding them, and treating them like they're awesomesauce. Goku and Krillin look up to Roshi as a father and master figure, several martial artists admire him, even Beerus gives him applause for how he faired. Meliodas has his team backing him up at every corner, and praising him as their captain. Despite their pervert tendencies, they are treated well by the cast in the series they're in.

Now, take yourself in real life. You try and pull that shit that they do? You'd be branded as a pervert and as scum by everyone around you. Just because you're a good person, doesn't mean people will forgive you for that. You won't be a cool dude everyone looks up to. You'll be a loser that is hated by everyone around you.

And that's what Mineta represents. He is the perfect interpretation of what we would be like. We're ugly, not badass at all, we are considered losers for our pervertedness, and people don't look up to us. Mineta is all of those things. He's not looked up to, his power is lame, and everybody views him as scum. We aren't just represented by Mineta. We ARE Mineta.

And that's why people hate him. Because he is the realistic depiction of those actions, and leaves nothing to be desired. So people reject him as a result of that, because people HATE to think they have flaws. If they have enough good to cover for it, like Roshi being a funny old badass has, then they can ignore the flaws. But Mineta lays them ALL OUT ON THE TABLE, and we're forced to face them.

So while we're posting lewd BakuKiri fujoshi pics, and retweeting pics of sexy Todoroki, or liking posts gushing over Camies THICCNESS, we at the same time try to reject a guy like Mineta, because his very presence is an ugly reminder of what we're like, and not what we aspire to be. With Roshi, or Meliodas, or any other perv, we have a longing to be like them since there's no need for self improvement, but Mineta... well... he's the opposite of that.

TL ; DR, Mineta is a more realistic representation of us than chars like Roshi or Meliodas, and since we don't like to self improve ourselves, we'd rather be like Roshi who has enough good to cover up the bad, and not like Mineta who will need to change.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

I see and kind of agree with some of your points, but I can't help but feel you're overstating how depraved the common fan is, which is ironicly what I feel a big problem with Mineta is in this scenario. It kind of goes back to what I was saying about Mineta having no character, let alone a likable one, outside of his pervert nature unlike a Roshi or Kamina, any sort of lasting development, its fine if that's what Horikoshi was going for but he's done nothing with in that case that really brings that point home at a meta level, its the equivalent to making a strawman to cut someone dowm which is just unpleasant and masturbatory. The thing about the pervertness of people is the fact people know how to reign it in(for the part) and not harass real life people unlike Mineta, likening Mineta's actions to writing a dirty fanfic seems misguided to me. I'd be more inclined to agree if that part of the situation was explored more in-universe to give credence to the more speculative part of your take, but at the moment I can't do that in good faith. Though I do understand and respect where you are coming from.
    I can't help but feel that is take is a bit dismissive of the issue at hand, the equivalent of saying ' its just a prank', that mayne true but I think at this point we all know that line can only get you so far. Mineta is a character in this story, part of the main cast, even if he's meant to be a comic relief, he should be considered and looked at with a similar lens we view others aming the cast, granted maybe with an altered view. He is essentially the Usopp of the series and just like Usopp, he requires some level of development along side being a joke.

The line between coward and tactical genius is a hard one to grasp at times lol i am waiting for him to have a true moment of lasting development, he has enough screentime to justify it.

Well duuuuuh, don't you know people love raunchy women? Its empowering!

8. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

I mean, fuck, take a look at Midnight, who walks around a highschool in BDSM clothing and lets highschoolers sit on her lap while sleeping. Or Pixiebob, who makes a list of boys who she wants to bang when they're finally of legal age.

Apparently that's considered "quirky". :lmao

I would actually argue against this, and if you're wondering why, look no further than the Vancouver riots that happened with the Vancouver Canucks vs the Boston Bruins some years back. You had people flooding the streets doing all sorts of terrible shit, and some of these people were rather ordinary folk. You had pictures taken that showed teenagers who were on the track do great post secondary educations participating in the looting of stores and vandalism of vehicles. Upstanding, good kids who went wild because they had an opportunity to.

When opportunity presents itself, people tend to let their own selfish impulses take over. We don't grope and molest people, because we know the consequences of it. We are reigned in by the society around us that views it as bad. We see what happens when people think they can get away with something though. Very often, people act on it.

That's why I believe there are those that despise Mineta (I'm talking full hate boner here), and then turn around and like other pervert characters. Because to them, those other pervert chars have likeable attributes that make you forget their terrible actions, which means they're able to get away with being perverted and lewd. With Mineta, that's not the case. He's considered scum, and the only friends he seems to have are Kaminari, who is somewhat perverted and also fairly laid back, Deku, who is friends with everybody, and sometimes hangs out with Mina, who is friendly with everyone, although Mina seems to moreso give him pity than anything else.

EDIT: Oh, and uh... Mineta IS supposed to be an exaggeration, so it makes sense why he's more depraved than the common person. Then again, I would argue that Roshi and Meliodas have done much worse than Mineta, and have gotten away for less...

9. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

I get your point but I think a riot which takes place in a heat of chaos and confusion is a little different from what Mineta usually gets up to, ya know? Like it works for situations like him groping Tsuyu during USJ or Grabbing onto Momo during the Race, but opportunistic caving is a little different than having little to no self control and being the creep that makes a conversation weird, at least to me.

I will say there's is definitely a level of hypocrisy with some Mineta haters who then turn around and are fine with other unabashed perverts, but that doesn't really make up too much of the people who actually hate him. I imagine there are many who dislike the sort of antics many other perverted characters get up too.

10. Pliskin Well-Known Member

I don't know, you can only read so much Japanese media before being burned out on the archetype of the creep that steals and sniffs panties from the female changing room, so he falls flat as a gag character for me.

If you take that away from him, what is even left?

Thats not even flat, thats 1-d or even singularity level non-character.

11. Adamant soul Well-Known Member

1) Being a pervert isn't funny and I can only see Mineta get smacked around for it so many times before it gets just a tad bit fucking old.

2) He wants to be cool, which is the complete antithesis of his entire shtick. So unless he develops into a completely different character by the end, that goal isn't going to happen weather he becomes a hero or not. So I have no incentive to be invested in him.

3) He is strictly a gag character with no purpose other than "making people laugh" thereby taking up panel time that could be better used developing other characters, most of which manage to be far funnier than the supposed gag character. :notrust

I'd say he's as bad as Pinkie Pie from MLP, except that show actually makes an effort to TRY and develop Pinkie's character beyond "make jokes" thereby making her slightly more tolerably. Both Mineta and Pinkie Pie are terrible characters in otherwise really good shows and it's a damn shame either show wastes any time on them that could be better used developing the rest of the cast.

The only "gag character" that I actually like would be Deadpool. And it's because he actually has a 3 dimensional flawed but likeable character outside of his gag gimmicks.

12. Luiz Well-Known Member

I can understand why people are offended, but I really don't give a fuck. Kappa

Mineta is funny sometimes, so I do enjoy him. However, that doesn't mean I don't welcome some character development.

13. Ruthless Tsuchikage Active Member

I think Mineta has two large problems that make him so unpopular in some circles.

Its as you said, Mineta is primarily a gag character and I think that being all he is causes people to look down on him. Its fine to have a quirk but Mineta has nothing to go with that quirk. He's much closer to a talking trope than an actual character and this makes him easy to predict. Mineta will never surprise anyone because being a living trope prevents Mineta from acting outside of that trope.

The second reason is that its easy to see Mineta as a very cynically designed characters. People might look down on Mineta for hid antics but there is a very large otaku crowd that Mineta is supposed to appeal to, the kind that agree with Mineta's observing every character's boobs and are a lucrative market to cater to thanks to that sweet, sweet otaku money. Its possible that Mineta is just a corporate mandated character to ensure that My Hero gets enough fanservice or perverted scenes in order to draw in the Otaku crowd.

14. xenos5 Objectionable Objection

Tbh I wouldn’t put Meliodas in the same category as those other characters.

He’s not a pervert to all girls, he’s only a pervert to the girl he’s loved for thousands of years (Elizabeth). He even fends off advances by Diane.

He built up a relationship with Elizabeth and earned that level of intamacy. It’s just strange at the beginning with each new reincarnation since their relationship resets for her but not for him since he remembers all of it.

15. Luiz Well-Known Member

I think the G in Mineta's super hero name is silent.

16. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

>Writing/reading that long posts about fucking Mineta

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  17. Dragon D. Luffy of the Stars

Like, climbing the wall of the bath to see the women naked. Every shounen has a character that attempts that, but Mineta makes a fucking speech about it.

It's hilarious.

18. Luiz Well-Known Member

Bonus points if the "You can become a hero" theme is playing.
    :mjlol

19. overlordpringerx Well-Known Member

Mineta is a frickin god. I haven't laughed that much with a perverted character in years. It's not just him getting smacked around, it's his lines and delivery too. They absolutely crack me up. "Tonight is gonna be productive" is absolute genius. I also find his friendship with Midoriya and Kaminari pretty entertaining to watch. As for his chances of getting development... I remind you that Aoyama was also a comic relief character and he's getting development. You could argue that Mineta in fact already started developing, as his main motivator for becoming a hero doesn't seem to be solely based around booty anymore, but also genuine admiration for Midoriya.
    A chapter all about him and Kaminari trying to spy on to get to see naked ladies and the anime adaptation includes 'You say run'