1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Mistranslation of Sai's gender!

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by DEATHwisher, Nov 12, 2005.

1. DEATHwisher

I'm looking at every thread with people misanderstanding that sai's a guy because the translators said so, well... the translators messed up big time.

Yes I read japanese...

sometimes I wonder wheather the text is translated by computer or man?

anyways, sai's gender is unkown. if you want to argue, bring me a text and I'll prove you wrong

Tags:
  2. Yeko

3. TenshiOni

4. Chiru

Shounen usually refers to young boy, but "apparently" it can also just mean youth. I see shounen as meaning juvenile and boy... Nothing else, but this guy says it means youth... :S

5. RAGING BONER

Flag:
    Puerto Rico

does it really matter if it has a frank n beans or a gash between its legs?

6. SaiST Retired Staff

I trust Iwanin more than you on the translation of Shounen. ;-l

Nihongaeri > You.

YES! YES, IT DOES GOD DAMN IT! :mad:

7. Chimmy

If your going to bring an argument DEATHwisher find the text yourself and start it off by proving everyone wrong and solidifying your point right away rather then giving people this run around your trying too pull here.

8. DEATHwisher

同じ額当て?しかし見知らぬ少年の急襲に惑い、憤るナルト!!そして挑発する?サイの狙いは一 体!?

the high lighted words are shounen, the pronoun of that sentence structure (they are two words put together)

少<--- shou = young
    年<--- nen = literely mean age, but if put together with 少, it mean youth

looking all the text sentence the other translator translated, doesn't those sentence have the same pronoun?

9. TenshiOni

And Sai's post - Nihongaeri's post - proves you wrong.

10. DEATHwisher

11. TenshiOni

^Yeah, you're referring to the rather pointless summary for 283...from two weeks ago. =/

12. Core

No girl says "You are weak yet you have a penis"

13. RAGING BONER

Flag:
    Puerto Rico
    i hate to say it but Sai does look like a male. he's got the whole short hair,non silly girly seriousness + rudeness about him... plus his name implies that he's hung like a Rhinocerus so what more evidence is needed?

does he have to kiss naruto to prove how manly he is?

14. hiko

Sorry DEATHwisher but Nihongaeri has earned the absolute trust of most of us here at Narutofan by proving time and time again that he has the utmost attention to detail and context when translating Naruto to English. We know this because every other translator working on the Manga has shown nothing but respect for his work - even when they disagree with him. Every one of the translators here at Narutofan can also hold a civilised debate with each other whenever they have a difference of opinion over how to interpret the Japanese text.

You on the other hand sound like some jumped up smug punk who cannot argue a case without resorting to base digs at other people's intelligence. Not exactly the kind of thing that's going to get us on your side.

15. Chiru

16. DEATHwisher

em... actually its from the side text messega from ch.283 on the last page . Sorry but thats the latest manga chapter I've got.

I do anderstand that Nihongaeri is a good translator and that he worked hard(?) but poeple make mistakes. if you are just stating out that Nihongaeri has translated much well done if not exellent chapters...your just giving out a childish excuse for being factless

17. TenshiOni

同じ額当て?しかし見知らぬ少年の急襲に惑い、憤るナルト!!そして挑発する?サイの狙いは一 体!?

Translate the whole thing then. I thought you were talking about the 2 week ago preview as that was the one dealing with the "shonen" debate.

Anyway, what the hell is the point? According to Nihongaeri there's a caption in the latest chapter which without a doubt referred to Sai as a boy and it didn't say "shonen".

18. hiko

Might as well quote this and save NG the hassle of repeating himself:

19. DEATHwisher

Kishimoto doesn't want us to know the gender of his character because it builds up a kind of misteriousness(just like every other character) therefore, when calling an unknown character with unknown gender where kishimoto doesn't want us to know much about him/her he used the apropriate word "少年".

this is not the basic anderstanding of japanese anymore, it goes on for the anderstanding of context and "why" was it written. the comprehension goes far beyond the text itself

these text are best understood when you are exposed to the language

20. Core

I didn't know you could read Kishimoto's mind, SILLY ME! How could I forget!

21. TenshiOni

DEATHwisher has missed several one factor:

The text implies he's male.

Not to mention that: he looks male, he talks like a male, his stomach is built like a male, there has only been one other example of a three-man team that didn't follow the two boys-one girl formation (original Ino-Shika-Cho), Sai's a name that has only been associated with MALE characters to my knowledge.

22. hiko

Ok DEATHwisher, so how should Kishimoto have referred to Sai if he wanted even the most obsessed SAI = GIRL fanboys to be in absolutely no frigging doubt that Sai was indeed a boy?

23. DEATHwisher

see... now you have no choice but to move onto the opinion side of things which is not only irrelevent to the language, but also wildly disagreed.

First, the differece between the design of male and female faces(sai might be a flat girl) are the hair and lips, look at the design of sai's lips carefully, they are similar to many other females in naruto

24. TenshiOni

Now you're just backing away in a corner and trying to argue with apperance of characters.

Please, if it was that simple we wouldn't have had all the gender confusion in the past. See past files on: Haku, Forest of Death Orochimaru, Yashamaru, and Deidara.

25. Core

Lips are not gender specific, only how much lipstick that is on them (sometimes). However, breats, and waists are gender specific, which Sai has both Male versions.

26. DEATHwisher

Have I said that sai is a girl because of a fact?

a:NO

I have carefully sided myself that the gender of sai is unknown and that I would like to think sai is a girl due to my opinions.

kishimoto's purpose was to confuse everyone and cause mystery about the character which will increase interest with plot from veiwers, and so far he is succeeding.

27. Core

How do you know that? Do you know Kishimoto? He already did this with Haku, why would he do it again?

28. DEATHwisher

its only logical to script things this way to make things interesting, its the basic plotting skills,

haku was a confusion I admit, but he did try to confuse everyone and thats undeniable.

haku was a girly looking boy , but doing the samething twice would be kind of... lame

if he really did do the samething twice than I opologize for setting such a high expectation for the plot, I would be further more disappointed by kishimoto's creativity and logic settings.

29. TenshiOni

^You make it sound like you personally know that even the Japanese are confused by Sai and are wondering if he's another Haku.

When all signs point to male, how do you know the Japanese also thought girl upon first reading? All our translators, who know more japanese than most, were leaning towards guy this entire time.

30. DEATHwisher