1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Mo Dao Zu Shi (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation)

Discussion in 'Akihabara TV Channel' started by White Wolf, Oct 16, 2018.

1. White Wolf the defeated Super Moderator

Mo Dao Zu Shi
    Type: ONA
    Episodes: 15
    Aired: Jul 9, 2018 to Oct 6, 2018
    Source: Novel
    Genres: Action, Adventure, Mystery, Comedy, Historical, Supernatural, Shounen Ai

Synopsis
    =====
    As the grandmaster who founded the Demonic Sect, Wei Wuxian roamed the world in his wanton ways, hated by millions for the chaos he created. In the end, he was backstabbed by his dearest shidi and killed by powerful clans that combined to overpower him. He incarnates into the body of a lunatic who was abandoned by his clan and is later, unwillingly, taken away by a famous cultivator among the clans—Lan Wangji, his archenemy.

=====

MDZS is a series I randomly picked up after seeing it on the uploads of my anime site so often and boy was it a good pickup! If you're a fan of Wuxia themed shows or Donghua then this is definitely one of the better ones to check out.

The instrumental bits are downright beautifully done, the flute music during Wuxian's scenes are goosebump inducing at times.

Plotwise the season is a bit weird since the majority of season 1 takes place within a flashback sequence, but it's so good! In terms of exposition and everything there's really a depth to the things we see and experience, the voice actors put all their heart and soul into MDZS and I mean that quite literally. There's a level of growth through each episode where the emotions the voice actors put in perfectly resonates with scenes. So much so that the most meaningful scenes can send you on an emotional rollercoaster.

Don't let the Shounen Ai deter you from watching this if that's something that bothers you, it's a very subtle aspect of the show, and it actually adds a layer of depth to the whole story as certain events take place which really make you feel for the characters in different ways.

Animation -- Solid
    Music -- Solid
    Plot -- Solid

I won't say much more to not spoil, but definitely worth checking out!

Tags:
  2. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

3. White Wolf the defeated Super Moderator

Hope you get to it soon!

S2 has been announced already for 2019 and it should be pretty legit.

I rewatched ep 15 (the last one for s1) and oooof.

Chinese is hard to get used to in these series since you get so used to Jap stuff but they do such a damn good job in MDZS.

4. Lewd Super Moderator

5. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

lots of femboys :cat

6. White Wolf the defeated Super Moderator

Ye p much, even if the Shounen-Ai is subtle throughout the series they are designed in a more aesthetic way for the genre. Though what did you think of start to the series? :pepethink
    Once ep 2 finishes it'll go into a flashback sequence which showcases a lot of Wuxian's life and the events the lead up to ep 1-2.

7. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

Well, the backstory at the beginning was a bit overwhelming with all the names and factions. So there was once an evil guy, and the "cultivation" clans teamed up on him. Then there was conflict between some "patriarch" and the others within the alliance. The guy who (not really) died and is now reincarnated into the guy who did the summoning? :hm

I really like the "non-japanese" atmosphere.

Visually, it looks pretty good but I hope the studio doesn't do lazy shit like they did with TKA sometimes.

Are all episodes more than 30 minutes long?

8. White Wolf the defeated Super Moderator

Yeah those are all the same guy, Wei Wuxian (Wei Ying), he was called the Yiling Patriarch and he founded the sect of demonic cultivation (hence the title, grandmaster of demonic cultivation). Cultivation if you know from other Wuxia stuff is the act of training your spiritual energy or w/e for years and years refining it constantly to advance and become a master, and demonic arts is something people always typically frown upon. Which lead to Wuxian getting betrayed by his most loyal pupil. Years later he gets reincarnated into Mo's body, because Mo is ("crazy" aka gay) and he slits his wrists and commits suicide to summon someone to avenge him (the events of ep 1 basically, with the family).

Ngl there's a few moments where they take the lazy way out (mainly a couple scenes with the undead), but it's generally minor.

Nah they're 24mins, less if you discount OP/ED :hm

9. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

I always had to remind myself that he is supposed to be male :lmao

Are there some actual girls showing up later on? :pepethink

10. White Wolf the defeated Super Moderator

There's a few.

Jiang Cheng's Mama; a dom asf milf mommy
    Wen Ning's sister, and also Jiang Cheng's sister

It's (kinda) sparse on female characters, but the few we do see are quite memorable in their own ways.

There's a few we haven't seen yet though, that might make appearances in s2.

11. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

Wen clan :reeee

12. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

13. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

Alright I am finished. This started slowly but once the plot with the Wen clan kicked in I had to go on watching. Wei Wuxian was godly in episode 15

2019 is going to be good, I hope they don't change studio for this one as well

14. White Wolf the defeated Super Moderator

Finally got time to post about my gripes with the show!

One thing I wish they showed more was how Wen Ning ends up as the Ghost General (ep 2), they dive into it a wee bit with how he meets Wuxian and how he helps him and Jiang Cheng, but after that and the whole Sunlight Campaign that throws Wuxian into infamy they gloss over for the most part. That was pretty disappointing since it was VERY blatant that GG had a lot of "love" or recognition towards Wuxian even in the reincarnated body.

I'm REALLY hoping they show more of the Sunlight Campaign and the riot at Qiongqi Way during s2, since it really shows a lot of Wuxian's evolution towards the corruption, and Wen Ning's evolution to... Wuxian's subordinate.

Can't really complain too much since it is a condensed version and it did a fine enough part, but really hope they at least make up for it in s2 and show more of those later events up until Wuxian's demise.

Wei Wuxian's past is a really incredible journey and while it will be interesting to see his present day reincarnated version travel with Lan Wangji without all the context and backstory of past events and the relationship him and Wangji formed while Wuxian turned to the dark side it'll be less impactful generally speaking.