1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Mob Psycho 100

Discussion in 'Akihabara TV Channel' started by Judge Fudge, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Judge Fudge Delicious

Mobpsycho100 by bones announced for 2016

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Tags:
  2. Zaru ________________________________ Retired Staff

Since there's no Murata redraw of Mob, the character designer will make or break this

3. Judge Fudge Delicious

Unlike the original OPM, which had a very poorly done and amateurish art style , Mob is actually pretty well done and unique on its own even if its not as flashy as Murata's OPM it has a style of its own that works. It'll defnitely work well in animation just from the CMs for it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtSw0r-2z4[/youtube]
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ief4qbFapZI[/youtube]

4. Ftg07 Well-Known Member

5. Brian           

Looks like something Masaaki Yuasa would do if they're going full blown ONE's artstyle

6. Lucaniel non serviam

7. Raidoton Well-Known Member

8. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

ONE truly is living the dream :33
    Reigen man .. .. he has to be voiced by Sugita, right? RIGHT?

Also, you missed the best one, JF :distracted
    [YOUTUBE]UEvrca5KCZ4[/YOUTUBE]

9. Judge Fudge Delicious

Nah its legit good. ONE's improved a lot since his early days with OPM.

10. Pokkle Well-Known Member

11. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

I wonder if Natsume will come back home to Bones to direct this :hmm
    Although it is for sure to have an inferior budget compared to the WSJ backed BnHA,
    Natsume would probably steal all the good animators away from that production regardless of budget :lmao

12. Freechoice Freechoice

Egypt, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Serbia, Russia, Portugal, Germany, France, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco, Sokovia, Poland, Iceland, Barbados, Canada, China, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago
    FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!

13. ironherc Leo Saint

haven't read it but will give it chance, hope it doesn't go with the "motion comic" style of animation though.

14. Raidoton Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind that style. But i doubt they would use it. It's too risky.

15. Lucaniel non serviam

you're comparing it to one's garbage scribbles which even i could improve on, and that's why you think it's "legit good". low expectations OP

it's inferior to even most mediocre manga art

16. Wolfgang Grimmer Magnificent Steiner

the story is better than opm imo and the comedy is better too
    opm has better action tho

looking forward to this

17. Judge Fudge Delicious

People say this but 9 times out of 10 they're never able to given the amount of mock ups I've seen for the series. I also said Mob's art is good in general not good in comparison to the original OPM, its just to show how much he grew as an artist when he took on being a mangaka full time.

You're wrong in that regard. It's fine if you don't like it but don't put words in people's mouths just because they can appreciate something you can't. I already stated why I think Mob's art is good which had nothing to do with what you're talking about, if you consider that "low expectations" then I don't think its worth taking this discussion any further.

I've read a lot of manga and I strongly disagree, some people can't differentiate between an artist's style and his actual skill as one which is why I see some people say Dorohedoro's art looks like crap but then praises the art in Fairy Tail.

18. Lucaniel non serviam

i'm not judging mp100's art as inferior to average based on an objection to its "style", but based on ONE's continuing inability to do decent/proportional anatomy, the barely-even-doodled backgrounds, and the way a lot of the panels are just filled with motion lines to compensate for his general lack of drawing ability, among other things. i have no idea how someone claiming to have read "a lot" of manga can't see the difference in skill between any decent mangaka's art and ONE's, but that's your business :wot

you can call that a "style" if you want, as if elsewhere ONE is capable of drawing good anatomy or decent backgrounds or such, and has simply chosen to do none of that here for a specific artistic reason, but since he isn't...

:naruramen

19. Zaru ________________________________ Retired Staff

ONE's strength in Mob Psycho is that despite his own technical shortcomings (which should be obvious), he manages to create a lot of visually impactful panels. That's one thing a lot of manga with "technically better" art are missing.

20. Lucaniel non serviam

but with that distinction i think i can see where you're coming from, a lot of the original OPM shows he has a sense for visual impact too

21. Judge Fudge Delicious

The most highly praised works in manga weren't anatomically sound or had extensive background art, hell Tezuka, the god of manga, didn't have backgrounds in his works and the character anatomy was largely the same. That's an incredibly silly reason to say art is bad because it doesn't adhere to your notion of what good art is, which in itself is incredibly subjective, especially when most manga art are never anatomically sound to begin with. But I'm sure you know more than industry experts who gave a manga like this;

the Tezuka Cultural Prize for best manga years back.
    This is coming from someone who thinks there's an objective set of rules to judge what is considered good art in the medium or that in order for art to be good it has to be anatomically sound when history says otherwise. One Piece is the most critically praised and successful manga today but it sure as hell ain't anatomically correct

That's the case with every artist, they all have a specific style to them that they use to work with, having backgrounds and good anatomy isn't a prerequisite to being a good artist or being a good manga.

That aspect stood out in the original OPM, despite Murata's version being superior on a technical standpoint often times misses the impact in the original by either being too polish or not having ONE's paneling.

22. Lucaniel non serviam

but there's nothing wrong with the anatomy in what you linked...and while tezuka often eschewed backgrounds, he could definitely draw them well when he needed to, which makes him an actual example of someone making a stylistic choice...furthermore, tezuka is recognised as a seminal figure largely for his imagination and innovation in subject and narrative, not because he was one of the most skilled artists of all time or anything. sure, parts of his art are often praised as innovative too, but other facets of his work are what made him the name that he is

so

1. that anatomy's fine
    2. tezuka could draw backgrounds and sometimes didn't, ONE just can't
    3. tezuka isn't the be-all and end-all of manga art, his significance doesn't negate criticism of ONE, and he was a much better artist than ONE anyways

one piece is not the most critically praised manga today :lmao

and popularity =/= quality
    your retreat into the total subjectivity of "everything's down to style" only exposes the fact that ONE's drawing can't hold up when measured against most reasonable criteria :wot
    murata's version perfectly retains every point of impact in the original and adds several more because murata is an infinitely more talented and skilled artist than ONE

23. Wolfgang Grimmer Magnificent Steiner

lucaniel what are you talking about? ONE can draw backgrounds
    Spoiler:

24. Judge Fudge Delicious

The character on the right has noodle legs in the bottom right panel and everyone is apparently a midget but I guess since ONE didn't draw it its fine. Also what happened to your stance on backgrounds? There's none in that page at all.

Except there's backgrounds in Mob Psycho and the original OPM so I'm not sure what you're talking about furthermore they're largely gag series which focus more on character interaction and dialogue than extensive scenery so this complaint made no sense to begin with. A plethora of Tezuka's works didn't have backgrounds in them, Adolf, MW, Apollo's Song, etc. didn't have extensive backgrounds in them the only works in which he actually took heed to draw scenery for most of it was Buddha and Phoenix.

His garnered praise for his artistic merits as much as his imaginative and innovative stories. The mark of a good artist is how recognizable his art is from a silhouette and his cartoonish characteristics is what made him a legend to this day even if it seems dated to modern eyes because its not "cool" or "anatomically sound ", its much harder to draw someonething with cartoonish traits than it is to draw something realistically.
    so

Damn near every mangaka has taken traits from Tezuka and his influence can be seen even today, there's a reason he's called the God of Manga in Japan. The problem is that your criticisms and it doesn't make it bad either can be applied to most mangaka not just ONE.

Been nominated for a Tezuka award three times, frequently makes best of lists every year and has been praised, by the likes of Fujimo, Saito and the late Mizuki among others no manga series to this day has recieved the same about of critic reception from industry experts especially a shounene manga.

Never said that was the case.

You actually believe you can objectify art? You are delusional. What you're saying is just an opinion among others what I'm saying has been true throughout history, there's no prerequisite for good art but at the same time there's no excuse for laziness. When I look at ONE's art I see someone going with a style despite his own limitations and improving on them when I look at someone like Togashi I see someone who's lazy and doesn't put forth the effort despite having all the resources available to him,different art appeals to diffferent people you just learned something new today.
    Disagree entirely, Murata is technically a better artist than ONE but gravely misses the mark on several scenes from the original (Serious series side hops) despite it having more flair they're not as funny or impactful and while this isn't the case with all of them it does shows difference in panel layout and execution between ONE and Murata and I'm sure he would agree giving that came to ONE in regards to re-drawing OPM because he was a fan of his and has been praising his work on Mob and won't shut up about it getting an anime over twitter.

25. Lucaniel non serviam

oh hey i guess i didnt get far into into mp100 cuz thats aite

i was thinking of stuff like these doodles:

Spoiler:

26. Lucaniel non serviam

it's one page of a manga i haven't read which could potentially have like 1000 pages, i have no idea if the mangaka can draw backgrounds in other pages, why would i criticise something i can't evaluate rather than something i can - the anatomy - which is perfectly fine...

:psyduck

what

this nigga has no idea what hes talking about
    i suspected but i was too caught up in debate autism

nvm peace out

27. Wolfgang Grimmer Magnificent Steiner

that's because the weird anatomies and togashi-level scribbles are there to accentuate the comedy or because it's just one of those slice of life chapters

ONE puts effort when drawing important fights since mob psycho 100 is his actual job
    art isn't his strong point anyway, it's his humor and character building but his paneling, art and fight choreography is more than enough to make you appreciate the action scenes. the scribble art is a conscious choice and not a lack of tech skill.
    Spoiler: spoiler - my favorite fight in mp100

28. Judge Fudge Delicious

^You've done more than enough. The guy admitted that he only read a few chapters and based his opinion on that so he never had a clue what he was talking about to begin with, thanks for posting them.

29. Ftg07 Well-Known Member

So I guess they won't change the art style a lot :hmm