1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

[Questions] Moderation Tools

Discussion in 'Questions & Complaints' started by Shroomsday, Sep 20, 2018.

Which tools (if any) do you feel are less effective or should be used less?

1. Thread Sticky

20.0%
  2. Thread Close

30.0%
  3. Thread Delete

40.0%
  4. Thread Move

20.0%
  5. Thread Title Edit

20.0%
  6. Post Edit

30.0%
  7. Post Delete

60.0%
  8. Post Move

10.0%
  9. User Global Ban

10.0%
  10. User Non-Global/Forum Ban

10.0%
  11. User Rep Seal

30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shroomsday Too Classy to be Right Retired Staff

Making this thread to see if there are certain tools that you feel are less suited towards effective moderation on the Forum. This is entirely subjective, but may be informative.

Tags:
  2. Yin Yin Within Yin God, #Boosette / SC Meme-Let The Creativity Flow

Germany, Japan, Mexico
    Post editing / adding random context to a user's thread / poll that wasn't requested in the first place.
    :umaru

3. Nighty the Bitey Bulletproof

I think all those options are useful and relevant :hm

4. Nightylon Queen

I think the post delete features is used badly. I have honestly lost count how many times a member has posted "Who deleted my post?"

It takes like 10 extra seconds to add your name when you send us a notification informing us that our post was deleted so there really isn't any excuse. When we know who deleted/edited our posts, we can then simply contact said mod in private and discuss the issue without making a public spectacle. I'll give a personal anecdote:

Last week, I was copy/pasting stuff on my friend Whitebeard's profile page. It was innocent banter between two friends. I refresh the page and find that the Visitor Message I posted was deleted with a message saying "This is your warning, next time you do this you will be banned."

Obviously I couldn't tell which mod sent me this, because they refrained from signing their them at the end, something like "This is your warning, next time you do this you will be banned. - moderator's name" would have been perfect. I then would have contact said mod in private and we would have settled this there.

Instead though, I was forced to basically make a "call out" thread towards the entire staff basically demanding that whoever sent me that message show their face in this thread immediately.

Luckily, the story ends with a happy ending. I explained my case and said mod removed the warning. But that entire thread could have been avoided if they signed their name to begin with.

So ya staff, just sign your name when you delete posts. We are tired of always posting "yo who the fuck deleted my shit !?!?!? :blobree :blobree :blobree " every single time. It's beyond annoying.

:tiredpepe

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Aphrodite

Maybe locking threads to soon or to much. Seems to be a real issue for some. I know i had a bad issue with doing this lol.

6. Nighty the YEAH! Face drop! I told you not to leave me alone~

Weren't there issues before in regards to staff members deleting entire threads just because some of the posts in that thread were going strongly off topic?

Other than that, what Avalon said about deleting and placing a signature on a post that a staff has deleted makes sense, although a less-than-ideal case scenario could come from the fact that the member who got their post deleted might develop some sort of hostility towards that specific staff for doing so.

You guys want Jayjay's input on this? If so, I'll tag him here.

7. Aphrodite

8. Seraphoenix Stormblessed

Not a fan of hard deletes. In the OL our posts are completely deleted with no notification or explanation. This just leads to people continuing their posting not knowing what will get your post deleted.

9. White Nighty Super Moderator

That's false. Most posts don't ever get hard deleted unless it's Mbxx hard deleting entire threads.

At least if we're talking about the same thing. "Hard Delete" is a permanent delete that is permanent by all definitions of the word. "Soft Delete" is the typical deletion which could be reversed by any Section, Global, Super mod or admin if needed.

10. Seraphoenix Stormblessed

No it's not false. For instance The Wiggian and I had our posts deleted in one thread. The OP asked Marcelle to restore it because he liked the direction our talk was going. Marcelle said he couldn't because he hard deleted.

When Gyro or any mod deleted our posts we got a notification.

You would do yourself a favour if you didn't talk in absolutes.

11. Aphrodite

smods arent supposed to hard delete stuff.

12. White Nighty Super Moderator

Section mods don't have hard delete, so a notification means nothing. I can send you five notifications now without anything happening to you with the system in place. I talk in absolutes because I know and monitor mod logs daily, the only S-Mod who used hard deletes somewhat often was Panda and that was with his own double posts because it's always advised to not use it on other member's posts. Whether he didn't want to restore your posts or that was a one off accident I don't know, but saying it in such a general manner is incredibly false.

13. Aphrodite

He didnt say a section mod hard deleted his post he just said when he did he got a notification. He said Marcelle hard deleted his post.

14. White Nighty Super Moderator

Notification is a checkbox has nothing to do with hard or soft deletes.

15. Aphrodite

16. Nighty the YEAH! Face drop! I told you not to leave me alone~

Perhaps Seraphoenix could have worded his post a little bit better, but it seems like instead of threads being hard deleted, those threads should not have been deleted in the first place (closed), especially since some of these threads are heading in some sort of direction instead of being turned into a chaotic mess.

On the safe side, it's probably best to not delete posts in a thread unless they are derogative, inflammatory, or written in a way that breaks the rules listed here, whether it's a soft delete or a hard delete.

But at this point, I'm just wondering if taking a small piece of jayjay's suggestions that were made in the OL & Q&C thread (where he listed a tally of what could be implemented for a better experience to the community) and implementing them would mitigate this entire issue by a lot.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  17. Seraphoenix Stormblessed

I think we're past the point of what people are supposed to do.

If the guy says he can't bring it back and he is a supermod I'm going to take him at his word, because he has hard delete. In this case one of you is lying. Either way not a nice thing to see from staff. Also in this case it might as well be a hard delete if he is lying, because I would have no way of knowing if he is telling the truth. That means I will think that I have no recourse to get my posts back.

The point of getting notifications is that you can either argue your case or alter your behaviour if it's valid. If someone is deleting posts and not explaining why, you will continue doing it oblivious to what warrants deletion.

18. Platypus Advisor

@Seraphoenix You're referring to , right? The posts there were soft-deleted.

19. Nighty the YEAH! Face drop! I told you not to leave me alone~

Do you think it'd be possible for you to provide an explanation for why these posts were soft-deleted? Were they inflammatory, offensive, or break any of the rules listed here on NF?

Maybe these posts were causing the thread to go in the wrong direction (just maybe...).
    • An explanation to that user for why their post(s) were deleted instead of just outright deleting them would clear things up a bit for that specific user, however.
    • Although following this suggestion would be time-consuming + adding more pressure to the staff that actively need to perform this task...

20. Seraphoenix Stormblessed

21. Fang Titan

All of those abilities are fine, its how they are implemented or used that begs the question.

22. TriNighty l’appel du vide Advisor

ideally i'd want to use this kind of system:

1. warn gently, be chill about it. no one has to just bust out their mod tools; it's generally well received if you act under a more specific guideline and more human like approach before trying to mod. a "hey, chill cats, let's not go there" -- something that isn't heavy handed. but a mod must be respected most of all for this to work

2. if people don't take your warning in consideration to stop flaming or instigating or whatever the case is, squeeze your asscheeks and give a harsher warning, delete offending posts and notify users to stop (redundant if a serious warning has been handed out, but if it's needed i won't be against it esp if someone is out of the loop)

"This is an official warning to stop. Do not persist or you will be threadbanned." <-- breaking out your mod dick

3. if said people don't stop, threadban. this is underutilized and such a powerful tool because 90% of the time people get caught in the moment, and most of the time section or forum bans aren't need if it's lite flaming

4. if people continue in diff threads, make new ones, ignore the warnings and the threadban, 1 day section ban and it goes from there

5. if behavior keeps reoccurring and you're just being a dipshit to get a rise out of people, increase section ban

6. if you're a poison to the forum and most sections, forum ban (forum bans depend on the severity of the action; doxxing and sexual harassment would def lead straight to a forum ban and revoke your privileges to pm or vm, etc) ​

23. Night the do what though? Sugar is sweet and so is honey

An idea for an in-between for options 2 -4, maybe dragging people into a staff thread for a conversation between the poster(s), the mod who is handling the specific case at the time, and one or more other upper tier mods on the problem might be a means to resolve issues without having to use infractions, with infractions being implemented as you otherwise lay out afterward if it persists. It communicates to the poster(s) that the situation is not going unnoticed by other mods, there can be communication between the mods and since it'd be a thread, other mods who end up involved can look at the conversation and be mostly up to speed with things, and (most importantly) there can be an understanding of what's expected with all parties involved, including those who get involved down the line.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  24. Fang Titan

I've advocated mods using that ability in the OBD section for years. And I think only twice has it ever been used, once with Anti-Existence aka Zaepeollo or whatever that pink haired fruit case Arrancar/Espada guy's name is because his threads were so shitty that mods had the time had to be peer pressured by the regulars into making him stop making match threads because they were so shitty and the other time I can't remember, might've been EmperorofLiberty or someone else.

You take away a poster's ability to make shitty threads, their interest and activity levels go way done. Especially in the OBD because of the section's magnetism for shitposters from VSB, ComicVine, etc...

25. ~M~ Do it for her

The problem with this question is that it lacks context. Even the most obscure, niche tool is the most "effective" tool in its niche situation. That can be said about each one of these tools.

26. Shiba D. Inu ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

rep/ratings seal should never ever be used

27. Seraphoenix Stormblessed

That's because you know you should already have been sealed :lbj

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.