1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Most Tragic/Traumatizing Past

Discussion in 'Gundam' started by me_is_david, Jun 17, 2005.

Whichi character has a more tragic/sad past/life?

1. Shinn Asuka

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Kira Yamato

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. me_is_david

I got to thinking on this topic while I was internet-less.
    If this goes with the Shinn/Kira debate then my bad, I just want to know what the people who frequent this forum thinks.
    I'm not going to be biased in any way, and neither should you guys.

Since quite a number of people believe each of these two's past's are bad.
    I want to know who they believe has the worst one based on the facts and not favoritism.

Shinn: A coordinator, he knew he was a coordinator. He lived peacefully until Orb was attacked when he was 14. He was running away to a ship, then suddenly got blown away and discovered his family slaughtered basically. He found his sister's arm meters from her body, and that would be traumatizing to anyone. His parents had their limbs, but they're bodies were all bloody and such. After witnessing such a horrific scene of the three people he cared about he is shocked/depressed/sad.
    This is for the people who think he is weird for being so attached to the cellphone. As you would notice its the only thing he has of them, all his stuff is gone and he also has the pictures of his family from happy times in it. I think that it is perfectly normal.
    Next his life was alright, he had no where to go so he goes to ZAFT. He fights ORB out of anger and spite. But you can't blame him since he wasn't in the inside so he didn't know anything. In his eyes, ORB betrayed them and all that, since he was only a civilian he wouldn't know what went on inside.
    After more fighting, he meets a girl, he gets to know the girl and being the teenager he is, he starts to like that girl. He meets her again and helps her. The third time they meet she is the enemy, but Freedom attacks it and causes her suit to be destroyed.
    Shinn gets her out of the suit and talks to her for the last time. She says she likes him and then dies in his arms. Which reminds him of the time that his family was killed. He is completely devasted that he lost another person he cared about so much. Thus his rage and desire for revenge leads him to attack Freedom. And tahts all we know.

Kira: He lived a normal life until he was 16, a coordinator as well and he also knew that he was one. He meets an old friend as an enemy after many years. He is pressured to fight and protect people because he is one of the few that can. He is treated badly by some people because he is a coordinator. He is used by a girl whom he has had a crush on (I think). She becomes his first girlfriend, though he is totally oblivious to her intentions. He meets another girl and it seems like he starts to develop feelings for her. Though they only meet and talk a couple of times, by the end they seem to like eachother a lot. He is forced to fight his old friend because they both killed eachothers friends. He witnessed one of his friends die when the plane he was in blew up.
    He fought his friend intending to kill him and then awakens with the girl he seemed to like a little. He is reminded of how him and his friend fought with the intention of killing eachother and is deeply crushed/sad. He thinks about numerous things and decides he will fight to end the war. He is given one of the most powerful suits, and goes back to Earth. He attempts to save everyone he can but cannot. He is mad at how far the war has gone. He fights and meets his friend again. But this time his friends sides with them and they talk and are good friends once again. He fights some more, then he finds out he was artficially created and has a twin sister. This traumatizes him and he is shocked. Though he seemed to have gotten over it. He fights and couldn't rescue his "first girlfriend" and is sad once again but is comforted by another girl.
    He fights again, and see's the girl on a ship but failed to save her. Now he is completely crushed and now driven by anger when he kills his enemy. Since then he's lived in peace. In Destiny, he fights again, to try to stop the war. But isn't really doing as good as a job as before and is confused to who he is to fight against. Thats all I know for now.

My bad if my explanations are shitty, but you guys know the story enough to know.

Of course I'll state my opinion. It is Shinn Asuka. Why? Not because I like him more than Kira. But because when I think about it Shinn has been surrounded by death and more terrible situations than Kira has. Although Kira has a semi-tragic/sad past. I believe Shinn's is more worse than Kira's.

Now I'm curious as to who you guys think has a more depressing past.
    Shinn Asuka or Kira Yamato

Tags:
  2. Rakumaru

Well, if my little sister and my whole family got blown up, and I turn around only to find my sisters arm detached from here body...Not many things more traumatizing than that. Even though Kira was forced into a terrible situation, it is not as traumatizing as having everyone you love taken away in an instant.

3. antoine

I'd say Kira mainly because he learned that his very existence is due to the sacrifices of his siblings. Having so many people die just so you could live, I feel, is more tragic, and he has to live knowing that fact. Don't forget he was living with people who weren't his real parents and learned that he had a sister when he was 16. Come to think of it Kira had no real family in his life, until he was informed about Cagalli, whereas Shinn at least did.

4. ssouske

I vote for shinn... eventhough kira is an experiment, and that his home (heliopolis) was destroyed right before his eyes, you still can't beat seeing your family die right in front of you... especially if the scenario was "I should have died with them..." plus it was ok if you just see your parents and sister dead having their bodies intact... but shinn's parents and his sister either got squashed or got torn into pieces... now that is tragic...

5. Jikes

its obviously Shinn there is no real debate about it.

while Kira's life has been traumatic he has gained alot, a friend in Athrun, a sister in Cagalli, and a girlfriend in Lacus. He has people to turn too.

what has Shin gained in life, nothing, all he has in his life is loss, he has lost his home, his mother, his father, and his beloved sister, not to mention the girl he fell in love with. He is alone and is being manipulated by Rey and Dullindal. and if you ask me he is starting to lose his mind aswell.

6. Mindless

Wow! Internet works now for me at home! I'll go ahead and make a little contribution to the thread then I guess...

Like Jikes said, Shinn has suffered more than Kira, no discussion.

Kira never had any real 'loss of loved ones' or so to say. Well, Tolle died when Athrun killed him. Then he lost Fllay, but she was a real bitch (pardon me, but it's the truth), but when she died, she seemed really nice. Anyway. We can sum up Kira's traumatizing past with a few lines...

Kira's tragic past:

Forced to fight his childhood friend, Athrun.
    Little girl who gave him the paper flower died.
    He 'killed' Andy.
    He killed Nicol and destroyed Blitz along with him.
    Athrun killed Tolle. (to avenge Nicol I suppose...)
    Mwu 'died'.
    Fllay died.

The most tragic about these I guess was Tolle, he had known him the longest time, and was a friend who stood up for Kira, despite him beeing a coordinator. I'd be very sad to loose such a friend.

Then we have Shinn, who obviously have suffered alot more. But, there is something you have to remember. Alot of things are only what you make them to be. Meaning, Shinn put himself into alot of situations. (taking revenge on Freedom, etc.)

Shinn's tragic past:

Had to flee his home because war came to ORB.
    Lost his dad.
    Lost his mother.
    Lost his sister.
    Decided to join ZAFT to avenge his dead family. (the most sad thing about Shinn IMO)
    Stellar, the only person who (from Shinn's point of view) ever cared for him after his family died.
    Becoming more and more manipulated by Gilbert, Rey and their ideals for the future.

To me, Shinn has lost alot more than Kira.

7. 3rdStrike

Well as many have said before, Shinn does really have the most tragic past
    But I won't say anything now because Destiny hasn't finished yet. I mean at the end, Murrue, Athrun, Lacus or like even Cagalli can die... I mean you never know what Fukada is up to.
    But now I would put my vote on Shinn .

8. Son_Pan

Hey david! i gotta admit. i missed hearin' ya defend your fav. couple. lol.

anyways, i vote shinn. because of his past, i believe that is why he is soo corrupt. seeing your whole family's bodies being torn apart, and splattered all over a hill. hell yeah, i'd be freaked out for the rest of my life. so yup, my vote is Shinn.

9. Kiba-kun

Wah, y'all beat me to it! Nothing more to say, Mindless and Jikes said it all. Clearly Shinn.

10. Chopstickx

hells yeah my vote goes to Shinn.
    i'd turn into a crazy avenger too if i saw my parent/brother get blown up and i live to see their body parts everywhere with blood spattered =x i'd be traumitized for life...>_>

11. dotWizard

Omg... when someone mentioned little girl with the paper flower... I just got really depressed.

That girl was so cute.

I vote for Kira, because he lost that flower girl. Come on guys... Can you look at her face while she's giving Kira the flower and not just die emotionally when her plane gets shot down?

Think of the flower girl! :) :oh :sweatdrop :sad :S :darn :crying

12. Mindless

True, it was a sad moment, but still, she just gave him a paper flower. It's not like he had known her all his life or anything. :oh

13. Chopstickx

rofl :laugh
    well when you put it like that...xD

14. dotWizard

She was his father...

15. ssouske

huh? are you talking about kira? :blink no... the paper flower kid is definitely not his daughter... kira is only 16 and well at that time, the only person he had with sex is flay/frey. :laugh
    btw nice avatar mindless kinda looks like a lacus-meyrin(w/ her hair down) hybrid... is that meyrin wearing lacus' head ornament or did lacus dyed her hair red? :blink

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  16. Chopstickx

maybe he's tryin' to be dramatic :O

17. dotWizard

My original post wasn't meant to sway people to think Kira had a more traumatic past than Shinn.

The fact that Shinn walks around overconfident and arrogant of his abilities, especially his attitude towards Athrun and to authority, makes him less likable. Even with his past, he's turned into a jerk, and as Athrun said, he's making people cry now.

So yeah, at moments when it's convenient, they may use Shinn's past to try to arouse emotions from the viewer, but it doesn't work, because whenever you see him outside of the "emotional" time, he's a bastard. When Stellar died, I didn't feel sorry for Shinn at all.

When that flower girl died, I couldn't help being depressed. If Shinn turned out to be a decent person, yeah, I'd feel for him more than I would for Kira, because the things that happen to him are indeed sad.

But it's the little things in Gundam Seed that happen to Kira that strike me the most.

It's sort of like someone said earlier. Flay was...horrible. I didn't think it was tragic at all that she died. I think of Stellar in the same way. Shinn's horrible. I don't think it's tragic at all.

It's when bad things happen to good people that I consider tragic. Traumatic: Shinn. Tragic: Kira.

addition: What I said about the flower girl was a joke. I meant she was his father like Darth Vader is Luke's father, etc, in response to your saying that he hardly knew her. Nevermind. It went by pretty badly.

18. Piekage

Shinn by far. Sure Kira was forced into a life he didn't want, but I think having one's family blown up is worse.

19. Chillin

I believe that Shinn has had it worse than Kira. The way he dealt with these experiences was also worse than how Kira took his situations. Kira cryed and got emotional, but always kept those human qualities and ways in which you could connect and sympathize with his character. While I do believe Shinn had the more traumatizing past I do not feel sorry for him as much as I did Kira watching all of his experiences play through.

20. Animegirl

I voted for Shinn, because he's lost so much more than Kira. I mean, I would also vote Kira as well, but he didn't lose alot. Even though he did have it rough. :nod:

21. Vanity

Shinn. His family all died. That basically makes him have a more tragic past than Kira.

Shinn reminds me of Sasuke in a lot of ways. I don't like either of them actually but that's just me.

22. dspr8_rugged

Shinn. No doubt about it. It's just that he decided to go on living without ever getting over his tragic past, which really led to him having the worst personalities as a Gundam protagonist.