1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want YOU the community to help contribute to the new Spiral Rep titles!

Please, check this thread.

Dismiss Notice
  5. My fellow ningen! It's time for another Dragon Ball Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. [​IMG]

We are going to give one month of coloured usernames to a couple of NF users.

Please, check NFs Valentine's Day Event

Dismiss Notice

7. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Anniversaries that are Being Celebrated this Year

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by DemonDragonJ, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    I just realized the live action one will be 25 years after the original.

2. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    Why did Whoopi Goldberg's book have big lips?

3. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    That's old school. Yup, old school like the old school.

4. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    A person who is also a country?! Cool!

5. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    I remember seeing Seed of Chucky either not long before or not long after.

6. Pocalypse Well-Known Member

England
    I have to agree on that. The twist with Saw was fantastic. It was the case of "it was right infront of you" but it was executed well.

Then again I was a 13 year old when I saw it so not sure what the reaction of the adults was in the cinemas but I remember I was in shock when Jigsaw stood up with the epic theme playing in the background. Shit was hype.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  7. Pocalypse Well-Known Member

England
    Still gets my pulse racing, that theme gives you goosebumps like nothing else :bury

GAME OVER

8. Ishmael You'll fail just as those before you have.

Nice franchise it's actually one that's managed to stay true to itself and keep a nice plot going throughout it. The last film was nice and was probably the one I enjoyed the most.

9. DemonDragonJ True Believer

This year is the thirtieth anniversary of All Dogs Go to Heaven, a film by Don Bluth, whom I feel is one of the greatest filmmakers of the twentieth century. I believe that that film is one of Bluth’s four best films, with the others being The Land Before Time, The Secret of NIMH, and An American Tail.

Bluth’s films were family films, but some of them contained very dark and depressing content, such as the heroes being separated from their families and experiencing severe doubt, depression, and despair. In the case of ADGtH, the main character is killed not long into the film, which I imagine caused many children who viewed it to feel great shock and despair; I recall that, when I first saw the film, the scene in which Charlie dies, and then the scene in which he has a vision of himself going to hell, were extremely terrifying to me as a child. Also, even more intense, was the fact that the pocket watch that was keeping Charlie alive would inevitably stop, and he would die, and not be able to go to heaven, which created a sense of dread, doom, and inevitability.

This film is also famous for being the source of the “big-lipped alligator moment” trope, which is a scene that occurs suddenly with no foreshadowing, is over the top, even by the standards of the film in which it appears, and is never mentioned again (another good example is the tunnel scene from the 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory). However the trope namer is actually not quite a perfect example, since the namesake alligator was actually mentioned briefly before he appeared, and then he returns at the end to assist Charlie.

Of course, the movie ended happily, but there were many dark and disturbing moments along that journey, and the happy ending of the film, in which Ann Marie bids a tearful farewell to Charlie with the promise that they shall meet again, is damaged by the fact that the father of Judith Barsi, the actress who played Ann Marie, killed her not long before the release of this film.

This film had a sequel, but Bluth’s involvement in the sequel was minimal at best (as was the case with every sequel to one of his films, other than Bartok the Magnificent), so the sequel had nowhere near the quality of the original, and should be viewed only for the sake of completion, in my mind. It would be nice if this film was better-known, but it was released the same year as Disney’s The Little Mermaid, so it is obvious which of those films became a famous cultural phenomenon, and which did not.

What does everyone else say about this? What are your thoughts about this year being the 30th anniversary of All Dogs Go to Heaven?

10. DemonDragonJ True Believer

I wanted to do so, and there is no rule against that.

11. DemonDragonJ True Believer

I could do that, but it would be too difficult to wait until the specific date for each film; it was easier to do it, this way.

12. DemonDragonJ True Believer

13. DemonDragonJ True Believer

14. DemonDragonJ True Believer

I do not know that; why are you asking such a question?

15. DemonDragonJ True Believer

This year is the 30th anniversary of the 1989 Batman film, the first film of the four-film series directed by Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher. Prior to that film, the previous live-action adaption of the character was the campy television series in the 1960’s (which actually had a feature-length film of its own), so this film was a completely new interpretation of the dark knight; gone were the campy atmosphere and bright colors, and in their place was a darker and more serious tone (at least until 1995, when Batman Forever was released). Actually, there were a series of short films made in the 1940’s, which had a fairly serious tone, but those never achieved mainstream recognition.

This film may not have been as dark as Batman Begins would be, many years later, but it was the darkest depiction of Batman at that time. When Michael Keaton was cast as Bruce Wayne, he was primarily known for comedic roles, so some viewers doubted if he could properly portrayed the brooding dark knight, but he did an excellent job, so audiences were very impressed. However, the true star of the film was Jack Nicholson as the Joker, a much more serious and frightening portrayal of the character, compared to the clownish Cesar Romero portrayal of the 60’s. I also liked how the film introduced the twist of the Joker being the one who killed Bruce Wayne’s parents, which helped make the conflict between them more personal, even if that twist has never been used in any other version of the story.

I actually have seen this film only once, but I did enjoy it, and I may watch it, again, to commemorate its anniversary.

What does everyone else say about this? What are your thoughts about this year being the thirtieth anniversary of the 1989 Batman film?

16. DemonDragonJ True Believer

This year is the thirtieth anniversary of All Dogs Go to Heaven, a film by Don Bluth, whom I feel is one of the greatest filmmakers of the twentieth century. I believe that that film is one of Bluth’s four best films, with the others being The Land Before Time, The Secret of NIMH, and An American Tail.

Bluth’s films were family films, but some of them contained very dark and depressing content, such as the heroes being separated from their families and experiencing severe doubt, depression, and despair. In the case of ADGtH, the main character is killed not long into the film, which I imagine caused many children who viewed it to feel great shock and despair; I recall that, when I first saw the film, the scene in which Charlie dies, and then the scene in which he has a vision of himself going to hell, were extremely terrifying to me as a child. Also, even more intense, was the fact that the pocket watch that was keeping Charlie alive would inevitably stop, and he would die, and not be able to go to heaven, which created a sense of dread, doom, and inevitability.

This film is also famous for being the source of the “big-lipped alligator moment” trope, which is a scene that occurs suddenly with no foreshadowing, is over the top, even by the standards of the film in which it appears, and is never mentioned again (another good example is the tunnel scene from the 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory). However the trope namer is actually not quite a perfect example, since the namesake alligator was actually mentioned briefly before he appeared, and then he returns at the end to assist Charlie.

Of course, the movie ended happily, but there were many dark and disturbing moments along that journey, and the happy ending of the film, in which Ann Marie bids a tearful farewell to Charlie with the promise that they shall meet again, is damaged by the fact that the father of Judith Barsi, the actress who played Ann Marie, killed her not long before the release of this film.

This film had a sequel, but Bluth’s involvement in the sequel was minimal at best (as was the case with every sequel to one of his films, other than Bartok the magnificent), so the sequel had nowhere near the quality of the original, and should be viewed only for the sake of completion, in my mind. It would be nice if this film was better-known, but it was released the same year as Disney’s The Little Mermaid, so it is obvious which of those films became a famous cultural phenomenon, and which did not.

What does everyone else say about this? What are your thoughts about this year being the 30th anniversary of All Dogs Go to Heaven?

EDIT: I accidentally posted this thread, twice, so will someone please delete the newer thread?

17. DemonDragonJ True Believer

This year marks the 30th anniversary of Disney’s The Little Mermaid, which many viewers regard as the film that began the “Disney Renaissance,” a period in which the company released many of their best-known films, films that are still remembered fondly to this day.

The Little Mermaid was the first Disney film since Sleeping Beauty, a full thirty years before that, to be adapted from a classical fairy tale (but not the first since then to feature a princess, as the now largely-forgotten adaptation of The Black Cauldron featured a princess, Eilonwy, but that film is scarcely ever mentioned, today); between those two films, most of the company’s films had been made on a low budget, and have enjoyed some popularity, but are nowhere near the cultural phenomena that the films from Snow White to Sleeping Beauty or from TLM onward are.

The Little Mermaid was the first Disney film to feature a romance between characters of two different species, long before The Princess and the Frog had an interracial romance (albeit between two members of the same species), and also was the first film in which the male did not immediately fall in love with the female (Beauty and the Beast, released two years later, would be the first film in which the lead female did not immediately fall in love with the lead male). Although both Snow White and Aurora were put into magical states of slumber in their respective films, this film was the first film in which a princess had her physical form altered (much later, Tiana would have her physical form altered, as well). This film also was the second of only two (thus far) Disney films in which a main hero actually kills the main villain, with the first being Sleeping Beauty; also, whether it is or is not a coincidence, both of those films featured a female villain growing to monstrous size and form and being impaled through the chest with a sharp object by a male hero (feel free to interpret that however you wish to do so).

I obviously own this film on blu-ray, and have watched it many times; I did see its sequel, once, but that film was a complete repeat of the original with very little of the original’s talent or heart (i.e., it was an obvious cash grab), so it was not worth seeing more than once. I believe that it is a fairly safe presumption that the Walt Disney Company shall commemorate this anniversary in some way, as well, given how significant this film is in their history.

As a side note, in the original tale by Hans Christian Andersen, the titular little mermaid and the sea witch did not have names; the names that they have in the 1989 films were given to them by the scriptwriters.

What does everyone else here have to say about this subject? What are your thoughts about this year being the thirtieth anniversary of Disney’s The Little Mermaid?

18. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    Yes which is why I'm asking that.

19. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    Because she was a book with big lips voiced by a black woman.

20. Rukia We are all Spider-man!

Germany
    Saw it in the theatre. My parents have an all dogs go to heaven Christmas ornament from a fast food kids meal back in the day. :lmao

21. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
  22. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
  23. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    :giogio

24. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    How would it be? Literally check the date and make the thread when it comes up.

25. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

United States
    I don't like how you said 30th for this but thirtieth for others. Pick one.

26. Shiba D. Inu No need to worry

27. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

@Sennin of Hardwork can you please merge all these threads into one anniversary thread? Nobody wants to see a full page of this shit.

:giogio

28. ~VK~ The King

Bruh wtf is with all these threads lmao? :skully

29. Supreme King of The Alley - Lord Ashi Pichu!

Never saw the movie but more 2D animation in theatres plz

30. ~Gesy~ Freshly drenched in coochie water

DDJ is glitching worse than an old iPhone :gglife