1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Musing about Yin and Yang Release

Discussion in 'New Leaf' started by Godaime Tsunade, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Godaime Tsunade Well-Known Member

As we know already, Yang Release was inherited originally by Asura Ōtsutsuki, while Yin Release was inherited by Indra, both passed on by their father Hagoromo.

Yang Release is explained to breathe life into form, or in other words, it can make something normally inanimate come to life, or it can change the form and structure of something that pre-exists.

Yin Release creates life out of nothingness ie. something that does not already exist.

For this reason, Hashirama inherits Asura's Yang: healing powers, Mokuton Kekkei Genkai, while Madara inherits Yin: Genjutsu, Susano'o

Yang Release is then explained to govern Akimichi techniques that affect their size and body. It also plays a role in Izanagi which manipulates pre-existing reality with an illusionary one.

Nara Clan techniques were confirmed in DB4 to use Yin Release, which makes sense since they all have the word Kage in them and create shadows. Tayuya's Phantom Wave technique uses Yin Release too, as the spirits created are made of only spiritual chakra and crave physical energy. Genjutsu are also Yin Release because they create form out of nothingness.

But this got me thinking: what other types of technique fall under Yin and Yang Release, and what does this say about their users?

Yamanaka Clan techniques should fall under Yin Release, since they project all of the users' spiritual energy into another body. Since spirits have no physical substance, it seems fitting that they would fall under this category. Dan Kāto's Spirit Transformation Technique should fall under Yin Release for the same reason.

Kage Bunshin possess the word Kage in them, much like the Nara clan's Kagemane etc. Also, since this technique is creating form out of nothing, it should fall under Yin Release.

On the other hand, medical ninjutsu should fall under Yang Release since it breathes life into existing form. Revival techniques like Chiyo's Kishō Tensei, or Edo Tensei, Rinne Tensei and Orochimaru's Fushi Tensei should use Yang Release as well since they're either breathing life into something that's either dead or inanimate, or injecting their soul into another's body.

Konan's paper techniques must also use Yang Release because she manipulates her form into paper that she can control.

Fūinjutsu is divisive and varies by technique. Tsunade's Byakugō Seal is described as a Yin Seal, while the fūinjutsu used for the Hokages' Four Red Yang Formation evidently uses Yang Release. Also, chakra transfer techniques are probably using both Yin and Yang Release since its a transfer of both spiritual and physical energy.

What I'm curious about, however, is how Yang based techniques originate with Asura, and Yin from Indra.

Does this mean that individuals whose jutsu are more orientated towards one style have a chakra that is more heavily influenced by Indra/Asura? For instance, do the Nara and Yamanaka clans descend more directly from Asura because their chakras gravitate towards Yin based jutsu?

It would make sense that Indra and Asuras chakras were split apart and watered down throughout the centuries, but that certain clans and families were still more directly influenced by one brother than the other. It would also make sense then how certain types of ninjutsu eg. fūinjutsu were in some cases created using Yin, and other times by Yang, depending on who created them and/or used them afterwards.

Food for thought: it might be possible to vaguely identify a shinobi's lineage and ancestry by their Yin/Yang orientation. :catdab

Tags:
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Knyght The Collector (⌐■_■)

I don't believe the Shadow Clone Jutsu falls under Yin Release or Yang Release.

It has the word "shadow" in its name but the jutsu itself has nothing to do with shadows unlike the Nara Clan's hijutsu and isn't the only jutsu to do that e.g. Hidden Shadow Snake Hands, Shadow Imitation Shuriken Jutsu, Shadow of the Dancing Leaf, Strange Transmission Distant Shadow.

We have also seen the Shadow Clone Jutsu itself combined with nature transformation with Lightning Release: Shadow Clone Jutsu.

3. Godaime Tsunade Well-Known Member

But it isn’t inherently an elemental technique and so it must therefore come under either Yin or Yang, or a mixture.

Raiton: Kage Bunshin is generating a clone out of a users electricity, whereas the regular Kage Bunshin is creating a clone out of nothing but the users chakra, hence why I’d argue that it uses Yin Release which creates physical form out of nothing.

4. Indra I can't stop eating

5. Knyght The Collector (⌐■_■)

Jutsu don't necessarily need to fall under any of the nature transformations and would just be performed with chakra in its default state.

Hence why specific jutsu styles like medical ninjutsu and genjutsu or hiden ninjutsu like the Shadow Possession and Multi-Size were singled out when Yin and Yang were first introduced by name, rather than just broadly referring to all other jutsu. Even before that, we have Shikamaru referring to himself (and Tayuya) as someone who creates "special chakra" which we later come to understand is referring to Yin Release.

6. PureWIN Mr. Prince

Exactly this. Another example would be how Rasengan is just a ball a chakra and wouldn't be categorized as either release. Similarly, S/T techniques such as Summoning has nothing to do with Yin/Yang release.

7. Godaime Tsunade Well-Known Member

Maybe, or maybe not - Naruto specifically asks what ninjutsu style non elemental techniques use, and he is the one that singles out medical ninjutsu, Akimichi and Nara jutsu as an examples. Yamato explains that these kinds of techniques are different and fall under either Yin or Yang. To me it inferred that any technique that didn’t fall within the elemental wheel therefore fell under one of these two categories.

Shinra Tensei controls gravity, so maybe it’s Yang Release since it manipulates pre-existing form with chakra.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  8. MS81 Supreme Jounin

What bother me that the Uchia never had an affair with a Uzamaki or Senju???:wha

9. Klue May Sharingan find a new life within Rinne

But coupled with the knowledge that Rasengan is based solely in shape transformation, should effectively kill this line of thinking.

Rinne's ST jutsu does not control gravity.

Shooting for Yang release is a bit tricky, for Shinra Tensei is a power of the Six Paths chakra, which is comprised of both Yin and Yang (not sure what this means in context of this discussion??). Beyond that, the ability to unleash all seven chakra transformations is listed as a prerequisite in the .

So there's that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  10. Ultrafragor Well-Known Member

But do jutsu have to be yin or yang release just because they're not another nature transformation?

In general, chakra should just be a 50/50 mix of spiritual and physical energy. How can you classify it as yin or yang if it's equal parts of each?

Seems like yin and yang are a different kind of nature release than the others, but are still different than just plain chakra.

I mean, it's not like walking on trees and walking on water is yang release. That's dumb.

11. MS81 Supreme Jounin

12. Godaime Tsunade Well-Known Member

True, I guess it makes sense that techniques which rely solely on shape manipulation and chakra control like Rasengan, Tree Climbing, Walking on Water, CES, etc. may not require any nature transformation. That was a separate part of Naruto's training after all (combining nature and shape transformations together).

I always thought it did?

I'd be slightly skeptical of that translation to be honest. The Rinnegan grants its users with the ability to access all five basic chakra transformations already does it not? This would mean any Rinnegan user could use all five transformations which hardly makes it much of a prerequisite for ST in the first place.

Granted though, ST has a lot of natures going on in the background so it's harder to break down or speculate on.

13. Arthas Anko's Lover

Regarding KB, I would argue that it is both Yin and Yang release if anything.

Yin to create the Clone's form.
    Yang to give the Clone life (make it move around semi-independently).

14. Godaime Tsunade Well-Known Member

Maybe, although Yang Release was described as breathing life into something that already exists. A clone doesn’t exist naturally, so it seems like it would be just Yin Release to me. Also, other Yin Release techniques (like Tayuya’s chakra spirits) creates form and life out of nothing with just Yin Release.

Could be that the Kage Bunshin no Jutsu is the Bunshin no Jutsu with Yin Release mixed in - that might be how Tobirama developed it. Which means Bunshin no Jutsu could be Yang Release, or else as others suggested, it may a technique doesn’t use any nature transformation.

15. Arthas Anko's Lover

Part of the reason why I say Yang release is because KB seem to be semi-independant from their creator. If it was pure Yin release then the only way they would be able to 'move' would be at the will / command of their creator.

Naruto does not Tell / Command his clones to do something. They do it because they are a copy of him, right down to his brain cells. In fact he can't even tell which ones are his clones (Remember way back during his bell test, he thought Kakashi had henge'd into one of his KB?)

Tayuya's spirits were pretty much controlled by her flute/music.

16. Godaime Tsunade Well-Known Member

Elemental clones can do that too, though. They just can’t travel as far from the caster. There was never an implication in the DB that they used Yang Release though. Also, as much as Bunshin have their own free will, they do tend to follow the orders of their original and their memories and knowledge are all linked. So they aren’t completely independent.

I mean your theory could be true, I just think it’s more likely to use Yin Release.

17. Sage light Well-Known Member

Kage Bunshin kinda have life in them by the fact that they bleed and secrete bodily fluids and such. So I think they could come under Yang Release. Also there's some form of incongruity in this subject. For eg:- the Sage was stated to give form to the Chakra of the Juubi using Yin Power; not physical form. So what certain Yin users like Shikamaru is doing is - they are giving tangibility or physical form to an intangible substance like shadow. Plus it was mentioned that the Kage Bunshin is Yang Release in one of the databooks? Yang is basically instilling life into something so anything that resembles a semblance of life should come under it. Plus I think in the war arc a certain shinobi said that it's made of mental energy (Tayuya's spirits) and craving for physical energy? So is it really Yin Release Chakra when it's simply a part of the making of ordinary chakra i.e., mental and physical energy? Anyway there's a proven incongruity in this debate.

18. Arthas Anko's Lover

I think Kage Bunshin is both Yin AND Yang Release. Yin to give the bunshin form. Yang to give that form 'life'. I think that is basically the defination of Yin-Yang release.

I definitely do not believe it is simply one type of release.